Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja

I think there's two very different ways of looking at it. I'd appreciate if anyone who is more knowledgeable confirms or corrects this.

Financially
The shares are split between Class A and Class B. Financially I don't think there is any real difference, they both pay the same dividends and are (theoretically) worth the same amount. 69% of the total amount of shares are Class B (owned exclusively by the Glazers and maybe fractional amounts by others like Woodward) and 31% are Class A (which are owned by numerous other companies and individuals, including a small amount by the Glazers). Therefore Ratcliffe buying 25% of the Class B shares is 17.25% of the total shares, and buying 25% of the Class A shares is another 7.75% of the total shares, bringing him up to 25% of the total amount.

51.75% - Class B shares owned by the different Glazers
23.25% - Class A shares owned by various
17.25% - Class B shares owned by Ratcliffe
7.75% - Class A shares owned by Ratcliffe

Which makes up 100% of all the shares.

Voting Power
Class B shares have 10 times the voting power (effectively control of the club) than Class A. So we end up with roughly:

71.72% - The voting power of the different Glazers together
25% - The voting power of Ratcliffe (his class B shares combined with Class A shares)
2.32% - The voting power of various others (the Class A shares not owned by Ratcliffe)

That only comes up to 99% so my numbers are slightly off, but it's roughly what will happen now from my understanding.

It's very different from what DSG posted previously and he seemed experienced and confident with what he posted, but I'm not sure where he's got his figures. Maybe there's something that I've missed.
This makes sense to me, it's best to view him as an extra Glazer kid who is actually in control of football operations on a day to basis than someone fully in-charge of the club. We've established that Joel is useless and the rest of them don't give a feck as long as they get their share. Hopefully Ratcliffe can talk some sense into Joel Glazer. It can't be too hard given they spent about a 1bn on transfers so far.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The times they are a-changin'.

I like the timing. As we all know, Santa is a Red and he'll have a proper spring in his step as he does his rounds this morning.

NK86

This is precisely why it’s a good thing to have INEOS onboard and focused on the sporting aspect of the club. We’ve been neglected on the pitch for too long.
But that is assuming he will have control on the funds needed for a lot of this. Glazers still control the purse strings. I cannot believe people are fine with this arrangement!

croadyman

But that is assuming he will have control on the funds needed for a lot of this. Glazers still control the purse strings. I cannot believe people are fine with this arrangement!
I am not fine with this arrangement,just want to see them appoint a proper CEO also ideally Director of Football AND Head of Recruitment.

Steve 007

When it comes to players the Glazers have always spent money. I’d be surprised if we aren’t in the top 3 spenders in the world over the last decade. Ok it’s not their money and never has been so it won’t be a problem to keep spending it. The problem since Fergie left was that the CEO was a business man not a football man, he didn’t prioritise football and we got left behind. The stadium and training ground sound like they will slowly get upgrades as part of each stage of the buyout. This can only be a good thing compared to where we are now.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really mixed feelings on this one. While I'm glad that it is all finalized now, we haven't got rid of the major problem at the club. I really would have preferred for a proper takeover, but it wasn't to be. So I guess all I can hope for now, is that Jim can actually change the structure at the club in a manner that turns things around. Otherwise it is just going to be more of the same

jeepers

I was a Qatar supporter because it was the only way to rid ourselves of the Glazers. I didn’t think Sir Ratcliffe’s 25% would have done any good but it seems like it has since the Glazers have relinquished control of the football side. They were never poor at the commercial side (because they are bloodthirsty frothing-at-the-mouth predators), but were completely useless at the football side. Hopefully Ratcliffe and his team will be different and successful.

AneRu

Getting the Glazers to sanction massive spending has never been a problem before this transaction, can't see it being a problem now with someone that's just rescued them financially and is willing to use his money to take them along for the ride. The only issue we are likely to encounter is the competence of the Ratcliffe/Ineos team and how serious their rumored 'buy British' policy was.

The Glazers know Jim has the finances to dig the club into and out of a hole. He seems willing to invest big money and they get to stay. They aren't people who were actively sabotaging the club, their methods and appointments just didn't work out so it's not like they will be plotting against Jim because they know the better we are on the pitch the easier it is to make money off it via commercial deals.

WPMUFC

Oh this is going to be a wonderful relationship. Glazers made 500m to allow someone else to take the blame.

Can't wait for the leaks to move from the players to the boardroom when the Ineos side requests 150m for a window and the other half goes "it'll be 75m actually".

I wish I could make half a billion to shift blame. :lol:

sixdwarf

So now people do not care that there is no defined path to majority ownership (let alone a 100% one), and they are happy with this outcome? Basically indifferent to the fact the Glazers can stay on indefinitely, no idea about what will happen to the crippling debt, how will new investment happen? All because we are now partially owned by a “local lad”?

I was fine with SJR beating Qatar as long as he had a defined path to at least majority ownership. However people treating this as a win and thinking since he has control of the footballing side would mean the whole Board will be focused on making us a footballing powerhouse again are just deluding themselves. Glazers will always put commercial over football and they still own 72% of the voting rights, thus can basically do as they please at the Board level, including deciding our transfer kitty every window.
Exactly.

sixdwarf

I noticed in the locked thread there was a suggestion for a poll on what people think of the minority stake. Maybe that's the best way forward for getting a proper indicator on views here.
I think some are so desperate for good news, they miss the top line. The Glazers remain in control and our crippling debt remains. We had a chance to shed the lot and have meaningful club investment with the Qataris. It didnt happen. I am preparing myself for more years of mediocrity. Ratcliffe = Glazers = Not messiah.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Oh this is going to be a wonderful relationship. Glazers made 500m to allow someone else to take the blame.

Can't wait for the leaks to move from the players to the boardroom when the Ineos side requests 150m for a window and the other half goes "it'll be 75m actually".

The other way of looking at it: spending £1.3billion for a full footballing control (core business) at a football club you're interested having a full ownership in, is cheap. Because United is huge and you can use it as a very accurate tester, to gauge whether a full purchase is a good idea or not. If it fails spectacularly you can simply skip the opportunity to buy more shares, slow down the spending and then sell the shares to someone else. Of course I don't want that to happen but the case with billionaires is that they won't mind losing some of their investments for a bigger slice in the future. 1.3b is only ~10% of Jimmy's reported wealth.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The funds United have spent the past 10 years haven't been the issue. It has been how the money is spent, fees and wages.

croadyman

My message to any Qatari supporters was please don't blame Ratcliffe,wasn't his fault Jassim wouldn't meet that £6bn figure. That says to me he didn't have the funds to pay whatever it took.

sixdwarf

Indeed. You have no control if no control of the finances. This all coincides with Financial Fair Play concerns. So less money and blame shifts.

croadyman

I think some are so desperate for good news, they miss the top line. The Glazers remain in control and our crippling debt remains. We had a chance to shed the lot and have meaningful club investment with the Qataris. It didnt happen. I am preparing myself for more years of mediocrity. Ratcliffe = Glazers = Not messiah.
I am aware the leeches remain in control and the debt remains,however surely a better structure is a tiny ray of light. From the tone of your post I guess that's not the case though.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
My message to any Qatari supporters was please don't blame Ratcliffe,wasn't his fault Jassim wouldn't meet that £6bn figure. That says to me he didn't have the funds to pay whatever it took.
Or maybe he didn't want to pay further over the odds. What he was offering was a whole lot. Glazers didn't want to lose their cash cow and wanted to make a namesake "deal". There was only one person willing to shake their sullied hands over such a useless trade.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s far from a perfect situation, goes without saying, and I think those who are enthused by this deal see it as a positive step forwards rather than a utopia. Kind of a better than nothing deal.
The budgets will be agreed between ineos and the Glazers, so yes they will obviously have a say (at least while Sir Jim only has a minority share) but don’t forget if he wants he can invest his own funds, and he has his own people in key positions of the hierarchy and on both FC and PLC boards. INEOS will be free to do whatever they want within this agreed budget, I don’t think the Glazers will stand in his way - it’s not in their interest to do so really.

NK86

The funds United have spent the past 10 years haven't been the issue. It has been how the money is spent, fees and wages.
It’s slightly different now. We have been in the red last 4 quarters. We have a squad full of players who are not good or past their sell by date. Plus there is the small issue of FFP.
We will need to circumvent around all of this and that will need a lot of capital. The Glazers are still in complete control of the club, with nothing on the horizon on if they will give that up.

Personally feel this was the worst possible outcome, barring being bought by a hedge fund and then asset stripped, when this process started more than a year back. Everyone on here wanted a full sale and full sale only. Now we have all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify as this being a good deal.

Bosws87

A terrible deal with no future ownership set in stone it just extends the struggle for years more a sad day.

Jeffthered

Well at least this is done and it is important, as it represents a defining change in the clubs ownership structure. The Glazer's, it seems, retain majority ownership, but INEOS and partners have a significant stake and will influence the direction and administration of the club.

Good.

But, it would assist all stakeholders, fans, etc, to explain how the new structure will impact on the daily operations at Manchester United FC

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Given your support for Jassims bid that’s a very fair and reasonable stance. I hope a few others can adopt a similar outlook and give INEOS a fair chance.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Sadly as much as I would love this to be great news my pessimism because of the last 10 years or so leads me to wonder exactly how this is going to change anything

Bosws87

Sir Jim’s not stupid he wouldn’t invest billion with no way to 100% ownership.

Well, well, this was one of the most rabbited lines of the whole deal and backing for Jim.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Is this totally his faults? He was not supposed to be the DOF.
At the end of the days he's in charge for seeing the players and "DECIDING" what's their best position and their potential. Failing to do so is a very big minus for any manager. You can't stay on top of the game without addressing the weakness and identifying the solution

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The loan analogy doesn't make sense. Yes, there might be conflict of interest if Ratcliffe wants to buy a new stadium but we don't fund our transfers by borrowing beyond what we can spend (before the pedantic idiots jump in, lines of credit / other short term loans / creative financing stuff doesn't fall under the previous statement). FFP generally won't allow that, that's the reason for its existence.

We've spend 1bn+ on transfers, clearly having a guy who knows football in Europe as opposed to trust fund babies being in-charge is only going to help.
1Bn on transfer is roughly 150m average per season? Going north of that would require capital investment (ilegally by bogus endorsement, which is what most oil club are doing). So Unless INEOS are puting their own money, it's all back to square one.

NOw the question would be why would SJR wanted to invest hundreds of millions (beyond what's agreed) for no tangible increase in ownership. It's good to play good football but at the end of the day it's business

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Glazers will be buzzing with this. They can now do what they’ve been doing for years but in a lot more peace. If things still don’t work out on the pitch then the glazers will know they can’t be blamed anymore, they can sit back and watch the blame go to Ratcliffe and his team. This suits them so much.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Didn’t they keep putting a bid in but then the glazers kept upping it as they was being greedy? Ratcliffe and his team deserve a fair chance to sort this mess out.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Glazers might be disinterested in the day to day running of the club or improving the infrastructure but there’s hardly been an occasion where United haven’t been able to afford to compete for a player’s signature owing to transfer fees or salary. Even last summer they okayed a fortune only to see Murtough and Ten Hag squander it in the worst way possible.

It’s easy to create a boogeyman for all our failures but that only lets the real clowns like Murtough hide behind that facade. At least now, there’s more educated people asking the tough questions before they sanction the spending.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The times they are a-changin'.

I like the timing. As we all know, Santa is a Red and he'll have a proper spring in his step as he does his rounds this morning.
More like we needed/released some good news after the pathetic loss to West Ham

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Ratcliffe will have two seats on the PLC board, therefore he'll be involved in setting those budgets along with other stakeholders

Marcelinho87

Indeed. You have no control if no control of the finances. This all coincides with Financial Fair Play concerns. So less money and blame shifts.
technically he has control of 25% of the finances, seeing as he owns that much of the club.

Anyhow for as bad as the Glazers are from a fans point of view many many people within the game including Sir Alex himself have called them “wonderful people” so I don’t see them and Ratcliffe having issues or clashes.

cnuts to us but we don’t know them on a personal level like what Sir Jim or Blanc etc will get to.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Given your support for Jassims bid that’s a very fair and reasonable stance. I hope a few others can adopt a similar outlook and give INEOS a fair chance.
I know right? Everyone knows I have been the biggest Ratcliffe fan.

But I too, am hoping those sports-washing-loving fans will have an open mind when it comes to Sir Ratcliffe.

AndySmith1990

Spending the budget wisely would make us so much richer than simply upping the budget. £100m spent on a couple players who genuinely improve us is worth a lot more than £200m on Sancho, Antony and Hojlund (and the list goes on)

Gavinb33

The board will set the finances and they will be what they will be what they will be, spending on transfers the last 10 years hasn't been an issue it's how the money has been spent thats the issue

Mubs

The perfect Christmas gift, only thing I want more is a long extension for ETH.

We've finally got some ownership stability, let's create some manager stability, too, and really build something!!

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Merry Christmas everyone,

Just a reminder that the 300m being invested comes with more shares.

Jim knows the club needs more than 300m to turn it around and has a huge pot of gold.

As time goes on and they need more funds they can plug that into club for the exchange of more shares.

Its essentially a honey trap for the glazers,

“we need more budget for the transfer window so we’re investing 300m more, but that comes at a cost to shares”

Eventually they will have majority.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Marcelinho87

Merry Christmas everyone,

Just a reminder that the 300m being invested comes with more shares.

Jim knows the club needs more than 300m to turn it around and has a huge pot of gold.

As time goes on and they need more funds they can plug that into club for the exchange of more shares.

Its essentially a honey trap for the glazers,

“we need more budget for the transfer window so we’re investing 300m more, but that comes at a cost to shares”

Eventually they will have majority.

Merry Christmas one and all.
Exactly how it will go.

He’s not an idiot, much more about him than the Glazer idiots who inherited.

Status
Not open for further replies.