Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

Not sure but that article that came out about him a few weeks ago has likely turned a lot of people against him.
I just remembered as well that his rise to that football director coincided with Nicky Butt getting booted out, so there’s probably a reason why people like Neville and even Ferguson potentially hate him on top of all the existing stuff.

Murtough seems like a company man and a brown noser to the Glazers, which is possibly how he’s ended up in a position beyond his capabilities.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You see the word IF?

But the point is, even IF INEOS and Jim are the catalyst for major change and improvement at the club, some on here will still complain because Jim may not be attending enough games.
I did but you said “maybe if they bring us a title in the next 2 years”

that is unrealistic expectations

Reiver

Is Murtough really that hated? Gary Neville has said a number of times on Sky that we don’t have a sporting director despite Murtough being the designated football director and Gary being up on all things United. I’m guessing it’s a slight by Neville.
I don't know that Murtough is hated but he's served the longest during the past decade of mediocrity and nobody seems to be able to say what his strengths are other than that he's popular. He's a survivor alright. A recent Athletic article convinced me that he had to go.

JediSith

When was the last time before the league cup final that they even attended a match? Struggling to remember
Yeah. If memory serves correct they tried to jump on some of the good feeling that was going around. Think it was also the occasion when a video, likely out of context but very funny, showed DDG ignoring one of the Glazers.

Gavinb33

I don't know that Murtough is hated but he's served the longest during the past decade of mediocrity and nobody seems to be able to say what his strengths are other than that he's popular. He's a survivor alright. A recent Athletic article convinced me that he had to go.
He also had a run in with one Nicky Butt whom Gary is close with so he might not be the most impartial person in the world on Johnny Murtough

RuudTom83

It’s a huge positive just to have a few faces present to take a share of the responsibility/blame.

Seems like every manager since SAF has never had any visible support or back-up and have just been left to carry the club entirely themselves.

Good to see Jim and Dave around the place.

tomaldinho1

"Antony is a complete failure and his performance is like a half-baked soufflé that's fallen flat. He's a raw, tasteless dish that leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Antony's play is like a meal that's been burnt to a crisp - no redeeming qualities, just a complete waste. It's time for him to hang up his boots and find a new career because he simply can't handle the heat of the professional football kitchen."
You’ve missed out on the classic.

‘You seriously surprise me…’
‘Obrigado Sir Jim, I was hoping you’d see that. I give it all I’ve got…’
‘You surprise me by how shit you are!’

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is Murtough really that hated? Gary Neville has said a number of times on Sky that we don’t have a sporting director despite Murtough being the designated football director and Gary being up on all things United. I’m guessing it’s a slight by Neville.
Maybe cause its true? Name me one DoF whose job is to give the thumbs up to the manager whenever the latters asks for a player

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Maybe cause its true? Name me one DoF whose job is to give the thumbs up to the manager whenever the latters asks for a player
Didn't Valdano found himself in that situation at Real Madrid with Mourinho? Though it didn't end well.

devilish

Didn't Valdano found himself in that situation at Real Madrid with Mourinho? Though it didn't end well.
I don't know about that. What I do know is that you can't have a DOF whose job is to be the manager's cheerleader. That defeats the reason of having a dof in the first place

RopersReturn

It’s indicative of the new rentier class, who see the club in the same way as corporate owners of property and utilities.
The Glazers simply extract wealth from their asset whilst we generate via our commercial revenue, regardless of how badly we’re doing on the field, even with profits actually down. They’ve just palmed off any responsibility for our decline by selling their stake in running the operational side of the business. They’ll not be going anywhere for decades.

Fts 74

It’s indicative of the new rentier class, who see the club in the same way as corporate owners of property and utilities.
The Glazers simply extract wealth from their asset whilst we generate via our commercial revenue, regardless of how badly we’re doing on the field, even with profits actually down. They’ve just palmed off any responsibility for our decline by selling their stake in running the operational side of the business. They’ll not be going anywhere for decades.
Nah I think your wrong they'll be gone within 3-5 years.

TrueRed79

If anyone thinks that someone whose worth 23b dollars will be at Carrington so he can be the first to hug Jadon Sancho when he's too busy to wake up for training in time then think again. SJR is head of a business that generate 65b annually. I think he's got bigger things in mind than Manchester United. That's why SJR will be hiring people to do that in his behalf. You've got Blanc who will take care of the financial side of the club, Brailsford whose marginal gain mentality will keep everyone on his toes and we'll probably add a top Sporting director and a top head of recruitment as well. Actually one of United's biggest problems is that we had Joel expecting to just pop in and take the final say on key decisions he had no clue upon. That's when the likes of Woodward and Murtough ended up our CEO and DOF respectively
This is the reason Utd have ended up in this situation. A lack of leadership and organised structure. Everything at the club is misaligned. Which inevitably leads to chaos when it falls flat on its face. Everyone here knows Joel had to sign off on transfers, for example. This lead to haphazard decisions and failed transfers because of a lack of defined leadership. It's why we got rinsed in fees and salaries. It's exactly why we are fecked in FFP. Radcliffe is going to create a defined structure, with actual accountability, finally! Now there will be nowhere to hide at the club. Bluffers will be sacked, and replaced with people that know what they are doing for a change. And the CAF will now know exactly who they need to sling their vitriol at. Happy days for me.

Wilt

Nice touch…. shaking Ten Hag’s hand just before he sacks him

WPMUFC

Was just watching a stretford paddock stream about the club shit-show. Even though i don't like him, that Stephen Howson bloke has contacts and had been involved in getting Rio Ferdinand's youtube show going. I don't know if he meant to talk about it so openly, but he went through how the Ronaldo deal to MUFC went down.

Mendes got the deal with City done, but didn't tell MUFC. He allegedly told Ronaldo that MUFC didn't want him, Ronaldo calls Rio to tell him the deal to City is done. Rio calls Woodward, the club freaks out and just does a deal out of seemingly embarrassment and optics. Howson then suggests that "Ole was probably the ninth person told, and was not asked if he wanted him, but told the deal was done".

Now take all that with a mountain of salt, but i seriously doubt Rio keeps things completely guarded to his chest. If that is how we are functioning, it just goes to continually reinforce how players like Antony, Sancho, Maguire keep costing so much. Panic, embarrassment and optics. It always comes back to these three things and seems to go a long way to show how you can spend a billion for no reward. If INEOS is going to impact anything positively, it HAS TO BE this stuff.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Was just watching a stretford paddock stream about the club shit-show. Even though i don't like him, that Stephen Howson bloke has contacts and had been involved in getting Rio Ferdinand's youtube show going. I don't know if he meant to talk about it so openly, but he went through how the Ronaldo deal to MUFC went down.

Mendes got the deal with City done, but didn't tell MUFC. He allegedly told Ronaldo that MUFC didn't want him, Ronaldo calls Rio to tell him the deal to City is done. Rio calls Woodward, the club freaks out and just does a deal out of seemingly embarrassment and optics. Howson then suggests that "Ole was probably the ninth person told, and was not asked if he wanted him, but told the deal was done".

Now take all that with a mountain of salt, but i seriously doubt Rio keeps things completely guarded to his chest. If that is how we are functioning, it just goes to continually reinforce how players like Antony, Sancho, Maguire keep costing so much. Panic, embarrassment and optics. It always comes back to these three things and seems to go a long way to show how you can spend a billion for no reward. If INEOS is going to impact anything positively, it HAS TO BE this stuff.
The Ronaldo story is probably true. Ole had talked about the style of play he was building towards before Ronaldo was slapped onto him. A 2007 United of Interchangeable/positionless frontline.

But being a good servant, welcomed the news.

Juicy Juiced

Some words float around is that Ancelotti got new contract because Rat was sniffing around.
I love this, we need best people at the club.

croadyman

Well it's a good start actually showing their faces. Best manure is the sole of the farmer's boot as they say.
This meeting has given me hope he will also answer questions regarding managing debt and expansion plans when they get verification. Would say route to majority ownership too but probably has to be careful on that one.

hobbers

Panic, embarrassment and optics. It always comes back to these three things and seems to go a long way to show how you can spend a billion for no reward. If INEOS is going to impact anything positively, it HAS TO BE this stuff.
Optics is the key one. As has been said elsewhere, the United hierarchy (Woodward and Judge, and then Murtough and Arnold) LOVE to see mega deals hyped up and try to make the club look like Real Madrid picking galacticos off a tree.

But in reality almost all our big deals we did massive favours for other clubs by taking their cast-offs and paying twice the market value in as short a time as possible. No one at the club has the intelligence or nous to do difficult transfer deals.

Casemiro perma benched at Real, if a club like City had gone in for him they'd probably have signed him for £40m rather than £70m. Mount a known sick note and not in the plans at Chelsea, double market value paid. Liverpool or Arsenal wouldnt have gone above £30m. Dortmund knew Sancho was never going to be a star and they could replace him easily, double market value paid, and an extra pat on the back for taking a year longer to knock off 10m euros. Hojlund, Amrabat, Varane, VDB, Fred, Maguire, AWB, Martial... all the same story.

Ronaldo, Ibrah, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez... easy fecking peasy "big-name" deals to pull off just by overpaying.

And when we sit back and look at the big picture, our two best post-Fergie signings are still Herrera and Shaw. The only two who were scouted thoroughly, paid market value for and signed not-dependent on who was manager.

Last edited:

devilish

This is the reason Utd have ended up in this situation. A lack of leadership and organised structure. Everything at the club is misaligned. Which inevitably leads to chaos when it falls flat on its face. Everyone here knows Joel had to sign off on transfers, for example. This lead to haphazard decisions and failed transfers because of a lack of defined leadership. It's why we got rinsed in fees and salaries. It's exactly why we are fecked in FFP. Radcliffe is going to create a defined structure, with actual accountability, finally! Now there will be nowhere to hide at the club. Bluffers will be sacked, and replaced with people that know what they are doing for a change. And the CAF will now know exactly who they need to sling their vitriol at. Happy days for me.
Exactly. There are (rare) occasions when the owners should step in. Take the Greenwood situation as an example. That can of worms should have never been dealt by Arnold. Ultimately we're talking whether to keep or sign off a 30m-70m asset owned by a company that is struggling financially. Sure Arnold was the CEO but he was still an employee and therefore answerable to the shareholders. That's something the Glazers should have dealt with. Yet as usual they left the dirty work for others to tackle.

Rojofiam

Optics is the key one. As has been said elsewhere, the United hierarchy (Woodward and Judge, and then Murtough and Arnold) LOVE to see mega deals hyped up and try to make the club look like Real Madrid picking galacticos off a tree.

But in reality almost all our big deals we did massive favours for other clubs by taking their cast-offs and paying twice the market value in as short a time as possible. No one at the club has the intelligence or nous to do difficult transfer deals.

Casemiro perma benched at Real, if a club like City had gone in for him they'd probably have signed him for £40m rather than £70m. Mount a known sick note and not in the plans at Chelsea, double market value paid. Liverpool or Arsenal wouldnt have gone above £30m. Dortmund knew Sancho was never going to be a star and they could replace him easily, double market value paid, and an extra pat on the back for taking a year longer to knock off 10m euros. Hojlund, Amrabat, Varane, VDB, Fred, Maguire, AWB, Martial... all the same story.

Ronaldo, Ibrah, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez... easy fecking peasy "big-name" deals to pull off just by overpaying.

And when we sit back and look at the big picture, our two best post-Fergie signings are still Herrera and Shaw. The only two who were scouted thoroughly, paid market value for and signed not-dependent on who was manager.
We did overpay for some players in the last 10 years, but you are exaggerating things. For a lot of those signings you listed, the fee was reasonable based on their age, CV, and footballing talent. Whether they were a good fit into our teams is another question. Our wage bill has probably been a way bigger problem than the transfer fees. We only really got fleeced with Antony.

devilish

SP is decent but jeez they can't stay on topic. No one cares about their opinion on how to cook roast potatoes or how joe Smith look like jesus. They tune in to listen about football. It's a shame because they could blow everyone out of the water yesterday with Laurie Whitwell but chose to spend 90% of the time on banter

devilish

Our administration lost me when they said that they can only work on 4 transfers per summer + that they monitor clicks and use that data as proof of how popular the club is. You can run a club like that

WPMUFC

SP is decent but jeez they can't stay on topic. No one cares about their opinion on how to cook roast potatoes or how joe Smith look like jesus. They tune in to listen about football. It's a shame because they could blow everyone out of the water yesterday with Laurie Whitwell but chose to spend 90% of the time on banter
i tend to skip though all their stuff for the very small periods of the show where actual content breaks through the crap. The episode about the club shitshow and parts of the Laurie one were really good. But I agree, way too much useless banter/humor. Also a reason why I can't stand the "hard man howson" shtick but can find some of his comments, especially related to his contacts/rio, interesting.

I don't think anything Howson said was too groundbreaking in terms of Ronaldo, i hadn't heard it put in that kind of timeline though. But if Howson's Ronaldo stuff is accurate and Laurie's stuff on how Antony was signed are close to the mark - Panic, Embarrassment, Optics. The trifecta of how we are so broken.

Coops73

Yeah, I hear ya, half the content is fecking “in jokes” I stopped listening to their podcasts ages ago especially the brew with Howson, I’m sure he knows his stuff but that fella reckons his shit don’t stink.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool

This is all fabricated nonsense from SP sorry to say.

Chumpsbechumps

Im very encouraged by SJR , not just because of what I’ve read but I’ve had a great conversation with a friend of mine who has been involved in helping football clubs get themselves prepared for sales. He was working on a French 2nd division team just before Christmas.

In short, he thinks that most owners of most football clubs, all the way down divisions, do so out of either love of the club or as a trophy thing. It’s generally not to make money as it’s extremely hard to do that.

We were talking about Brighton as I was saying that the owner could surely make a fortune and he went through the figures. When you factor in what the owner has put in, he most likely won’t clean up and Would be lucky to break even.

Even Forrest getting up, he thinks it’s funny that people call cooper a genius. When you factor in forests spending, he did what you would expected expect.

He also mentioned Burnley , spurs and United as the only clubs who really make money (outside of transfers). But he thinks it’s highly unlikely SJR bought United to make money. The cost of a new stadium could be 2billion alone and the money required to bring United back to the top when it looks like tv money is maxing out, will make it harder to make a profit.

Not just that; he also believes glazers valuation was pie in the sky. There’s no way United will be 10bil anytime over the next few years. He thinks English clubs don’t need super league like Spanish ones so there’s no golden super league income down the road.

So with all that; it’s more likely that SJR is being up front and he wants the club to succeed and while he wouldn’t mind making a few quid, it’s not his priority. That alone to me is massive. That is what seperates us from every super club in the world who are primarily run in a manner that’s about on field success.

The glazers never cared about on field success enough to change things up. Indeed Edward Woodwards very famous conference call to investors where he said “lack of on field success is not affecting commercial operations” confirmed this and yet some fans clung to some weird idea that the glazers really did want to win stuff , cause money spent.

I really excited about this , even though we haven’t turfed the yanks out, we will see a very Different approach to how things are run which promises better, much better. Many of us have been saying for years that all we needed to do was use our resources better, well it looks like it’s gonna happen. I’ve been saying for years if I took over id goto every top club in all sports and take every bit of the best pieces that work and apply it at United, well it looks like we might be getting to see how that will look.

While I hope it doesn’t take this long , in my mind it could take up to 5 years before the ship is fully turned. I don’t mean we won’t win anything in that time, I mean before we can confidently say we are consistently back looking like a proper super club again. I’d take that over even a wasted billion transfer summer from Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.