Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

Nobody knows what's going on. This will take time and when something is up we will know soon enough.

thebelfastboy

I’ve hardly been paying attention to this thread so hardly know anything on what’s currently going on. I take it only Ratcliffe’s INEOS have been the only interested party to go public with their interest?

Would have thought 1-2 other interested parties would have gone public as well by now unless they have contacted the Glazers privately that they want to bid & haven’t decided to tell the whole world about it.
It's all being handled privately by Raine who will have very strict measures in place around interested parties entering the process.

The fact that SJR/Ineos have indicated their interest publicly is likely to be an anomaly - I'd be surprised if we hear anything more substantial on other interested parties until the very end of this stage/once it closes which I think is in another fortnight.

stw2022

It's all being handled privately by Raine who will have very strict measures in place around interested parties entering the process.

The fact that SJR/Ineos have indicated their interest publicly is likely to be an anomaly - I'd be surprised if we hear anything more substantial on other interested parties until the very end of this stage/once it closes which I think is in another fortnight.
Always thought this. We're talking about a serious investment in anyone's money and these are serious people entering into commercially very f******* sensitive negotiations. There aren't going to be leaks, there aren't going to be public declarations of interest until the deal has concluded all but and maybe even including the formalities.

These people aren't going to risk leaking their intentions and risk either showing their hand or stoking a bidding war. The person or group or entity that ends up buying is 100% has never leaked to the Daily Mail or sat in front of a camera confirming their interest and never will until it's signed and dusted

Roboc7

The fact JR has gone public and way he went about bidding for Chelsea does make you question if he is just courting publicity. The £4bn figure that he’s been linked with is about right though because of the debt.

Similarly the talk about Middle Eastern buyers preparing or being ready to bid feels like attempt to drive up price or wishful thinking.

C'est Moi Cantona

The fact JR has gone public and way he went about bidding for Chelsea does make you question if he is just courting publicity. The £4bn figure that he’s been linked with is about right though because of the debt.

Similarly the talk about Middle Eastern buyers preparing or being ready to bid feels like attempt to drive up price or wishful thinking.
I don't think Ratcliffe is messing about with the fact he wants to own United, but not at the alleged asking price, and who can blame him £6 billion is crazy. The club and the next owner should not be burdened with anything like that outlay given the state the club has been left in, and the fact there's stories about Ratcliffe not been willing to meet this makes you think there's no one else willing to match it either, and that Ratcliffe is maybe the one most willing to do a deal, as there's no need to say anything otherwise.

The ME interest thing is probably just coming from the Glazers side, as you say to make it seem like there's lots of competition, when in fact there isn't.

Whatever they're commited now, they just need to take the highest bid, even if it turns out to be £3 billion, it's still a massive return for them.

croadyman

I don't think Ratcliffe is messing about with the fact he wants to own United, but not at the alleged asking price, and who can blame him £6 billion is crazy. The club and the next owner should not be burdened with anything like that outlay given the state the club has been left in, and the fact there's stories about Ratcliffe not been willing to meet this makes you think there's no one else willing to match it either, and that Ratcliffe is maybe the one most willing to do a deal, as there's no need to say anything otherwise.

The ME interest thing is probably just coming from the Glazers side, as you say to make it seem like there's lots of competition, when in fact there isn't.

Whatever they're commited now, they just need to take the highest bid, even if it turns out to be £3 billion, it's still a massive return for them.
So in other words you think no interest from ME

thebelfastboy

I've no doubt as well that SJR wants to buy us, but he doesn't get to set the price - personally speaking I think we are worth in excess of £6b. That's based on the rate of increase since the Glazers took over (£790m in 2005?) and the potential for a similar increase over the next 15 to 20yrs.

You've mentioned that "Ratcliffe not been willing to meet this makes you think there's no one else willing to match it either" and "The ME interest thing is probably just coming from the Glazers side, as you say to make it seem like there's lots of competition, when in fact there isn't."

As mentioned previously, this will all be conducted in privacy and with complete confidentiality. If Dubai, Qatar, Saudi etc had knowledge that the Glazers were using their name through the media in an attempt to artificially inflate the price; all it would take would be one statement from ME to completely scupper the glazers upper hand in any future negotiations with SJR/other interested parties.

There's also more than likely strict regulations in America against that type of behaviour.

I know everyone (me included) is eagerly waiting news on this everyday but until the 1st stage of the Raine process concludes in 2 weeks is likely we will hear very very little about progress.

C'est Moi Cantona

So in other words you think no interest from ME
I don't know how they work, but I don't see why the Glazers would care about what Ratcliffe is doing if they have Dubai or Qatar lined up to meet their asking price anyway.

They've overpriced a club that needs a fortune spending on it, so if there is limited interest then it's not that surprising.

C'est Moi Cantona

I've no doubt as well that SJR wants to buy us, but he doesn't get to set the price - personally speaking I think we are worth in excess of £6b. That's based on the rate of increase since the Glazers took over (£790m in 2005?) and the potential for a similar increase over the next 15 to 20yrs.

You've mentioned that "Ratcliffe not been willing to meet this makes you think there's no one else willing to match it either" and "The ME interest thing is probably just coming from the Glazers side, as you say to make it seem like there's lots of competition, when in fact there isn't."

As mentioned previously, this will all be conducted in privacy and with complete confidentiality. If Dubai, Qatar, Saudi etc had knowledge that the Glazers were using their name through the media in an attempt to artificially inflate the price; all it would take would be one statement from ME to completely scupper the glazers upper hand in any future negotiations with SJR/other interested parties.

There's also more than likely strict regulations in America against that type of behaviour.

I know everyone (me included) is eagerly waiting news on this everyday but until the 1st stage of the Raine process concludes in 2 weeks is likely we will hear very very little about progress.
Fair point, but we do just keep hearing 'maybe some ME interest', or they expect a 'ME offer to come to the table', so there isn't actually anything to deny.

I know Ratcliffe won't likely want or be able to say anymore now, but it's just a bit weird that he is been called out a bit at this stage, as I say if they have a raft of other bidders then who cares.

The problem is we're all desperate for information now, so you start second guessing things, all of which will probably end up been wrong!

Roboc7

I imagine he most likely is a legitimate bidder at a fair price but I do understand some of scepticism of him.

The asking price, the level of debt and the huge investment required will mean there won’t be lots of interested parties because that’s what happens the more money that’s involved.

I still see the most likely buyer is a US consortium as they will be prepared to pay a premium for the brand, I don’t think anyone else would.

Wezzaldo

Doesn’t really matter does it? The point was the massive error in saying they went for 4.25bn and basing our valuation off that, when it’s well publicised that a massive part was promised investment, and the myth has been debunked on here multiple times. But I’ll let you have your pedantic moment.
It’s called joking mate, hence the hahaha. Some people need to relax a little and not take everything so seriously on that. Or just need a hand down of their high horses.

jm99

I'm sure the middle East interest will be real, even with a decade and a half owning city and a decade of success their brand is nowhere near ours, as far as sportswashing goes, owning one of the top 3 biggest clubs in the world is far bigger than taking a city or Newcastle and making them successful, and billions is small change to a sovereign wealth fund of a state

thebelfastboy

I'm sure the middle East interest will be real, even with a decade and a half owning city and a decade of success their brand is nowhere near ours, as far as sportswashing goes, owning one of the top 3 biggest clubs in the world is far bigger than taking a city or Newcastle and making them successful, and billions is small change to a sovereign wealth fund of a state
And this is all coming off the back of a very successful world cup the region just hosted.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Is he bluffing?

The problem with Ratcliffe's ownership at Nice isn't that he isn't competing with PSG but rather that he hasn't been competing with the likes of Marseille or Rennes for champions league places.

Recruitment has also been questionable at Nice where they've signed past it players rather than identify young talent in arguably the biggest talent factory in Europe, which is France imo.
Well, he did something similar with Chelsea when he matched the bid when it was known it would be too late.

jm99

And this is all coming off the back of a very successful world cup the region just hosted.
Plus rumours of the Saudis wanting to host one of the next 2 or 3 World cups. I can guarantee if they can find away to skirt regulations and own us through a private consortium, then we'll be the priority and not Newcastle, our brand is massive for the type of thing they're aiming to achieve

Vapor trail

I actually think most journalists will be clueless to the developments. It's not really player based information that runs through intermediaries such as agents, management etc.

Especially prospective buyers, the only information I would anticipate with any accuracy from a football journalist is when a deal is close to completion. Not much else.

FujiVice

I dont know ... I just cant imagine a Tory pursuring popularity through public means and not handing out any money. Seems so unlike them.

Chairman Steve

Any new owner would have a decent fan approval rating as soon as they stepped in the door because their last name wasn’t Glazer quite frankly.

Roboc7

The World Cup also generated more negative attention than takeovers of PSG, City and Newcastle. That’s the problem with buying Utd, it’s way bigger so there would be way more resistance and negative media which is exactly what they don’t want.

The blueprint is there with City, it’s being repeated with Newcastle. It suits what there are trying to do more and makes better financial sense.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Any new owner would have a decent fan approval rating as soon as they stepped in the door because their last name wasn’t Glazer quite frankly.
Would depend on who and what they are, a lot of people are opposed to a State takeover, some are opposed to Americans, some are opposed to INEOS

jm99

The World Cup also generated more negative attention than takeovers of PSG, City and Newcastle. That’s the problem with buying Utd, it’s way bigger so there would be way more resistance and negative media which is exactly what they don’t want.

The blueprint is there with City, it’s being repeated with Newcastle. It suits what there are trying to do more and makes better financial sense.
I don't know how much negative attention it actually attracted, certainly before the tournament, but there wasn't much controversy during the tournament or any stories that were really bad in terms of treatment of lgbt people, though it obviously does happen but from their perspective as long as nothing happened while the world's eyes was on them. They got a classic world cup final, they got an iconic image of one of the best ever players finally winning a world cup, and as the tournament went on there was less controversy. I'm sure as far as qatar were concerned it was a big success and the Saudis are wanting to host one soon too, so can't be to concerned around the negative feedback

C'est Moi Cantona

I suppose it depends if they think they get more bang for their buck in taking a smaller club at a bargain price, and then spending a small amount (compared with buying United) on getting them winning things, for whatever gain they are hoping to achieve, I reckon City have peaked, but it's probably worked money wise no matter what happens to them now.

They are business people, and not stupid, and will do the numbers for buying United, which don't realy stack up, and as far as 'sportswashing' goes, then the focus on that been their sole intention for buying us will be magnified x 100 compared to City, which might actually mean it's a negative for them.

No really one cared about City, other than the fact they were the nearest rivals to United, they got Pep, and the journos were enticed by the hospitality so wrote good stories about them, it also conincided with us getting the Glazers and losing SAF, so it's worked a charm, job done, money in the bank, not sure they will get anything like the return from us.

I could be seeing it all wrong of course.

jm99

Would depend on who and what they are, a lot of people are opposed to a State takeover, some are opposed to Americans, some are opposed to INEOS
It's probably unfair but whoever takes over will basically be judged entirely by their first summer. They'll have to wipe the debt, promise investment in the stadium and make a shitload of funds available in the summer. If there's any "no value in the market" style talk, they'll be hated by the fans, particularly when there are glaring holes in midfield and up front and we know players like de jong, kane, osmishen will be available

croadyman

It's probably unfair but whoever takes over will basically be judged entirely by their first summer. They'll have to wipe the debt, promise investment in the stadium and make a shitload of funds available in the summer. If there's any "no value in the market" style talk, they'll be hated by the fans, particularly when there are glaring holes in midfield and up front and we know players like de jong, kane, osmishen will be available
Too right they should get hammered for that line

jm99

I suppose it depends if they think they get more bang for their buck in taking a smaller club at a bargain price, and then spending a small amount (compared with buying United) on getting them winning things, for whatever gain they are hoping to achieve, I reckon City have peaked, but it's probably worked money wise no matter what happens to them now.

They are business people, and not stupid, and will do the numbers for buying United, which don't realy stack up, and as far as 'sportswashing' goes, then the focus on that been their sole intention for buying us will be magnified x 100 compared to City, which might actually mean it's a negative for them.

No really one cared about City, other than the fact they were the nearest rivals to United, they got Pep, and the journos were enticed by the hospitality so wrote good stories about them, it also conincided with us getting the Glazers and losing SAF, so it's worked a charm, job done, money in the bank, not sure they will get anything like the return from us.

I could be seeing it all wrong of course.
Their intention is definitely sportswashing more than business, I mean city is worth more than they've invested in player and stuff plus the cost of buying the club and their investment, but how many of the sponsorships arranged are actually though friendly companies that are paying above market value for some under the table deals. United is a global brand, as well as being probably the best supported domestic club, we have huge support all across the world, in America, Asia, Africa, a lot of places that aren't as concerned with LGBT rights as in the west, we have a global appeal that you just aren't going to replicate by taking a team like City or Newcastle and turning them into winners, as evidenced by how our revenues from sponsorships are still crazy high after a decade of mediocrity, if they take over and we start winning leagues and champions leagues, they're never going to get a better deal than that

C'est Moi Cantona

Their intention is definitely sportswashing more than business, I mean city is worth more than they've invested in player and stuff plus the cost of buying the club and their investment, but how many of the sponsorships arranged are actually though friendly companies that are paying above market value for some under the table deals. United is a global brand, as well as being probably the best supported domestic club, we have huge support all across the world, in America, Asia, Africa, a lot of places that aren't as concerned with LGBT rights as in the west, we have a global appeal that you just aren't going to replicate by taking a team like City or Newcastle and turning them into winners, as evidenced by how our revenues from sponsorships are still crazy high after a decade of mediocrity, if they take over and we start winning leagues and champions leagues, they're never going to get a better deal than that
Well we'll see then, if that's the case then they'll be in for us, and would drop City, PSG, and Newcastle as soon as they can to get us instead if they thought they could.

Dubai could just step in unhinded if they wanted to.

I have no idea, it's such a pivotal time for the club.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Only the sponsors can say whether they are paying over the odds or not, Etihad Airways fly twice a day to Manchester, I'm not sure they would fly the route at all if not for the sponsorship, they obviously make money from it

jm99

Well we'll see then, if that's the case then they'll be in for us, and would drop City, PSG, and Newcastle as soon as they can to get us instead if they thought they could.

Dubai could just step in unhinded if they wanted to.

I have no idea, it's such a pivotal time for the club.
They won't need to drop anything, if one of them wants to invest they'll find a way to do it through a prince or someone who's not directly connected to the PIF. I'd see Saudis as most likely as they haven't already invested as significant in Newcastle, and they've got their 2030 project thing and I think aim to host the 2030 or 2034 world cup, so I could definitely see that

C'est Moi Cantona

They won't need to drop anything, if one of them wants to invest they'll find a way to do it through a prince or someone who's not directly connected to the PIF. I'd see Saudis as most likely as they haven't already invested as significant in Newcastle, and they've got their 2030 project thing and I think aim to host the 2030 or 2034 world cup, so I could definitely see that

I'll admit that's crossed my mind, they don't seem fully committed to them just yet for some reason.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I'll admit that's crossed my mind, they don't seem fully committed to them just yet for some reason.
Given the relative success of Qatar with the WC I don't think you can discount Dubai in thinking about a future WC bid, they already do a lot in advertising the country with various Expositions, far more than the Saudi's do and they are probably a more palatable option as well

jm99

Partly I think they're waiting to qualify for the champions league before bringing in the top names, it's a similar approach to City, sign the best of the rest, but the rest of the league has far more money than when City did it so its not as easy to prise players away just based on money. But certainly I think that the chance to own us might take precedence for them, and they haven't committed to the same kind of investment and sponsorship deals the way psg or City have. We provide a ready made option that fits into their timetable for 2030 far better than Newcastle, from a commercial perspective if not a sporting one

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Partly I think they're waiting to qualify for the champions league before bringing in the top names, it's a similar approach to City, sign the best of the rest, but the rest of the league has far more money than when City did it so its not as easy to prise players away just based on money. But certainly I think that the chance to own us might take precedence for them, and they haven't committed to the same kind of investment and sponsorship deals the way psg or City have. We provide a ready made option that fits into their timetable for 2030 far better than Newcastle, from a commercial perspective if not a sporting one
That was hardly the approach City took, when the Sheikh came in they went out on a spree buying every one they could get their hands on

jm99

That was hardly the approach City took, when the Sheikh came in they went out on a spree buying every one they could get their hands on
Yeah but for the first few seasons it was like lescott and santa cruz, then they started signing players from arsenal, but when they signed aguero you could tell they'd really moved up a gear. Although having checked silva was 2010 and so was yaya toure, but these were still the best of the rest but the very best. Aguero was a player that almost everyone wanted, that was the real statement signing for me that took them up a level

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yeah but for the first few seasons it was like lescott and santa cruz, then they started signing players from arsenal, but when they signed aguero you could tell they'd really moved up a gear. Although having checked silva was 2010 and so was yaya toure, but these were still the best of the rest but the very best. Aguero was a player that almost everyone wanted, that was the real statement signing for me that took them up a level
Robhino

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Nobody knows what's going on. This will take time and when something is up we will know soon enough.
It's like a fecking transfer window.
99% of what's printed will be guff and lies

We'll know when the official announcement is made and by god it may be that the announcement is that there is no announcement!

jm99

Yeah but he wasn't actually all that good for them, though I guess they did try to sign berbatov. But I think initially they were kind of an unknown quantity, Chelsea had splashed the cash and won but were a champions league side already, I think a lot of players were a bit reluctant to join city until it became clear they were a real force in the league and in Europe

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yeah but he wasn't actually all that good for them, though I guess they did try to sign berbatov. But I think initially they were kind of an unknown quantity, Chelsea had splashed the cash and won but were a champions league side already, I think a lot of players were a bit reluctant to join city until it became clear they were a real force in the league and in Europe
No he wasn't that good, but my point is that Newcastle haven't attempted to do what City did

croadyman

It's like a fecking transfer window.
99% of what's printed will be guff and lies

We'll know when the official announcement is made and by god it may be that the announcement is that there is no announcement!
Just don't,cannot contemplate something that after having our hopes built up since November

Status
Not open for further replies.