Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Could be money.
We would owe him 13M plus whatever we owe all his coaching staff and then any fees that goes into a firing process.

Then a hiring process will need more money. Despite all that, there is no guarantee of getting a CL and whatever money that brings.
Definitely a big factor given that we can't even afford to loan a player. Funnily enough crashing out of Europe in a terrible group made it harder to sack him with the £15m+ it cost us.

norm87cro

This and Klopp leaving are two best news for the club but none of them are first team related. We still didnt do anything in the January transfer window and I wonder why that is

AndySmith1990

This and Klopp leaving are two best news for the club but none of them are first team related. We still didnt do anything in the January transfer window and I wonder why that is
We have no money to sign anyone, and there's no confidence in the manager from the new regime, so loaning in any shite players he asks for is not happening

vanderpants

It honestly fills me with joy to see the people that have been associated with the shambles this club has been, getting shown the door. I am so in favor of Jim going scorched earth and getting rid of every one of them. This is arguably the best way he could have started.
Robin's name was on the wall for a long time for being outed, he wasn't a nice character and players and staff didn't like him, no surprise when Ineos asked Doc O’Driscoll who do you want gone he was the first name to go.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Slight (major) overstatement there :lol:
Not at all, people are acting like he’s a complete failure and he’s a trophy winning manager.
People are completely ignoring the absolute shit storm of off field distractions, the avalanche of injuries and the disaster that is our club behind the scenes. We got 3rd in the league. Won a cup and played 2 Wembley finals.
This season hasn’t been great obviously but ripping it all up at the first sign of adversity is mindless and stupid. This manager will take us places with the right structure around him, and we should be patient with him while INEOS build that structure.

Marcelinho87

We'd finished in the top 3, 3 times in the pervious 5 seasons before he arrived. It wasn't a major achievement and still not as good as what he likes of Jose managed. I don't really remember many gushing about our football. The end of season review threads, which I skimmed through recently, were filled with people saying we need to see better football or a clear plan. Many thought a new ball playing goalkeeper was the key to it all and that we'd see better football (Ten Hags real plan for us, some mentioned) if we signed somebody like Onana.
As I said, it all started going downhill after the cup final and this forum is fuelled by recency bias so there wouldn't have been much praise in the threads because it was over 2 months previous and we all know the majority here can't compute that.

croadyman

Transfers negotiations tend to take months and serious clubs will start planning for the summer now. Berrata will officially join the club in mid summer while if we get Ashworth then he'll probably get at least a 6 month gardening leave as well. Sure they'll be in contact with the club on a regular basis but not to an extent of handling complex deals. Thus we need someone in to do that. I see nothing wrong in hiring someone as long as Berrata and Ashworth agree with the person hired. Ultimately top level football is a highly niche industry were everyone know everyone. Surely Ashworth would know who Mitchell is and whether he can trust him or not.
Anyone other than Mitchell that you would like to see appointed as Head of Recruitment?

Chumpsbechumps

We have no money to sign anyone, and there's no confidence in the manager from the new regime, so loaning in any shite players he asks for is not happening
It’s nothing to do with the manager. This idea that a club should not strengthen the first team or get emergency replacements when we are short players is just thick as shIt.

If the club is not signing a striker on loan because they are unsure of ETH , then the clubs downright stupid. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anyone other than Mitchell that you would like to see appointed as Head of Recruitment?
It's difficult to say. First of all these football roles aren't exactly well defined. Take the technical director's role as an example. At United its a relatively minor role mostly focused to oversee the transition of youth players into the first team. At Milan and Bayern, the technical director was heavily involved in transfers and the club's strategy as well while at Brighton (Dean Ashworth) he was basically the sporting director.

I want Paul Mitchell as HOR because

a- he's a local lad
b- he understand English football well having gone up the ranks
c- he has ample experience in the role
d- INEOS rates him alot. In fact they wanted him at Nice
e- he had worked in France and Germany as well. That brings a huge deal of experience and contacts in these two great leagues potential wise
f- he wants to return to the UK because of family reasons.

I usually frown at A and B but not in this case. A HOR/Sporting director needs to understand the league he's working in and the club he's working for. Else you risk bringing in people who do align with the club's aims immediately as what happened with Monchi at Roma for example. The fact that he's a local lad means that he knows the city culture and thus he understands its strengths and its pitfalls. To be simplistic, someone who suffers from Seasonal affective disorder shouldn't be anywhere near to Manchester United.

There are issues of course. Mitchell had reached a stage in his career were he would probably want to move to be given higher responsibilities. He was Sporting director at Monaco after all. There again, Manchester United has a habit to hire overqualified people in the role (ex Quieroz and Walter Smith as no 2) simply because the club is too big, the spot light is too bright and quite frankly the salaries are too good not to go for best in class.

As alternatives, well it all depend on Ashworth and Berrata TBH. They need to have valid people they can trust in roles that these new recruits are comfortable in. However if you press me for names then I can think of three.

a- Brighton's HOR, Sam Jewell. The guy went up the ranks first as a scout with Swindon, U21 recruitment manager at Brighton and HOR at Brighton as well. He was involved in a number of great SA deals like Caicedo and Mac Allister. Jewell and Ashworth has worked together.
b- James Smith was Moyes's technical director at Everton, then moved at United to restructure our scouting team only to get fired as soon as Moyes was shown the door. City hired him as European scout but had since went up the ranks to become the city group head of recruitment. The guy would have first hand experience of what's wrong at Manchester United and would probably love to give his mate Murtough his goodbyes on the way out. Smith and Berrata would have probably worked together + James would have a good idea what to expect at Manchester United having been here before

c- James Ward. Former no 2 and then successor to Edwards at Liverpool, Julian ward had also experience as Manchester City's South American Scouting Strategist

roseguy64

It honestly fills me with joy to see the people that have been associated with the shambles this club has been, getting shown the door. I am so in favor of Jim going scorched earth and getting rid of every one of them. This is arguably the best way he could have started.
Going scorched earth and removing people who are good at their jobs sounds like stupidity. Hence why I'm glad changes aren't immediately happening.

devilish

Quite frankly I believe that we have written this season off. Also Glazers are cnuts who refuse to put one single pound in the club out of their own pockets and who expect us to pay 30m in their legal fees.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Quite frankly I believe that we have written this season off. Also Glazers are cnuts who refuse to put one single pound in the club out of their own pockets and who expect us to pay 30m in their legal fees.
Not a fan of the Glazers, but if you're referring to the legal fees for the transaction, that was a club transaction so you would expect the club to pay for it. Otherwise it would be a massive conflict of interest (and probably illegal).

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not at all, people are acting like he’s a complete failure and he’s a trophy winning manager.
People are completely ignoring the absolute shit storm of off field distractions, the avalanche of injuries and the disaster that is our club behind the scenes. We got 3rd in the league. Won a cup and played 2 Wembley finals.
This season hasn’t been great obviously but ripping it all up at the first sign of adversity is mindless and stupid. This manager will take us places with the right structure around him, and we should be patient with him while INEOS build that structure.
There's absolutely no evidence he will "take us places" and more evidence that he won't. You can't just write off what's happened this season like it's nothing. Even last season there were questions over certain things and some red flags, but people were largely in the "wait and see" camp because we still had issues to address. We've addressed those issues and gone backwards. No manager would ever get sacked if we applied the sort of reasoning you try to do with Ten Hag, as there is never a perfect set of circumstances for any manager. Whoever wins the league this season will have done so having to overcome issues themselves, yet nobody will talk about that, because its just a given for everybody else that you need to do that.

devilish

Not a fan of the Glazers, but if you're referring to the legal fees for the transaction, that was a club transaction so you would expect the club to pay for it. Otherwise it would be a massive conflict of interest (and probably illegal).
Sure but they could still pump 30m into the club. After all they are the ones benefiting of the deal and this is a struggling business.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Did we?!! I must have missed that! We still have so many issues, we are a mishmash of 4 different managers players and systems.
We signed a striker, another 2 CMs (one of which was the exact midfielder that everyone seemed to want us to sign), a ball playing goalkeeper (which was the key to it all according to most posters at the time), and had a cracking young midfielder join the first team. Regardless of what you think we still need, we still shouldn't have gone backwards even if there's still issues. And I believe we should look a lot better than we do. Do you honestly think we look as good as we possibly could? If so then I no longer wish to discuss this with you.

crossy1686

career ending
Its evident that this season has been written off. Else we would have added at least a player
Seems like they're just saying that so they've got reason to sack the manager in the summer. If they say the seasons done now and don't sack the manager at the same time, they're essentially saying he's got a free ride, as have the players. When in reality they should all be playing/managing to save their careers at this level.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
We signed a striker, another 2 CMs (one of which was the exact midfielder that everyone seemed to want us to sign), a ball playing goalkeeper (which was the key to it all according to most posters at the time), and had a cracking young midfielder join the first team. Regardless of what you think we still need, we still shouldn't have gone backwards even if there's still issues. And I believe we should look a lot better than we do. Do you honestly think we look as good as we possibly could? If so then I no longer wish to discuss this with you.
Of course we don’t. We haven’t seen most of the team this season because of injuries or off field issues. Our striker is a kid, a prospect, and shouldn’t be being relied on. The midfield signings were plain bizarre and our ball playing goalkeeper so far couldn’t catch a cold. We’ve relied heavily on 2 players that were for sale in the summer and should have been sold.
It’s okay though, I think I see your trouble. You are going by what people say on here regarding players. It’s not a good idea, we are all clueless! :smirk:

devilish

Seems like they're just saying that so they've got reason to sack the manager in the summer. If they say the seasons done now and don't sack the manager at the same time, they're essentially saying he's got a free ride, as have the players. When in reality they should all be playing/managing to save their careers at this level.
Well I can think of two reasons here

a- INEOS hasn't yet ratified the deal and the Glazers refuse to spend a penny into the club
b- INEOS had ruled out this season.

I don't feel sorry for anyone tbh. Some of the signings we made last summer were diabolical and they deserve the sack. Yet there's no denying that there had been no attempt to salvage the season

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
It's difficult to say. First of all these football roles aren't exactly well defined. Take the technical director's role as an example. At United its a relatively minor role mostly focused to oversee the transition of youth players into the first team. At Milan and Bayern, the technical director was heavily involved in transfers and the club's strategy as well while at Brighton (Dean Ashworth) he was basically the sporting director.

I want Paul Mitchell as HOR because

a- he's a local lad
b- he understand English football well having gone up the ranks
c- he has ample experience in the role
d- INEOS rates him alot. In fact they wanted him at Nice
e- he had worked in France and Germany as well. That brings a huge deal of experience and contacts in these two great leagues potential wise
f- he wants to return to the UK because of family reasons.

I usually frown at A and B but not in this case. A HOR/Sporting director needs to understand the league he's working in and the club he's working for. Else you risk bringing in people who do align with the club's aims immediately as what happened with Monchi at Roma for example. The fact that he's a local lad means that he knows the city culture and thus he understands its strengths and its pitfalls. To be simplistic, someone who suffers from Seasonal affective disorder shouldn't be anywhere near to Manchester United.

There are issues of course. Mitchell had reached a stage in his career were he would probably want to move to be given higher responsibilities. He was Sporting director at Monaco after all. There again, Manchester United has a habit to hire overqualified people in the role (ex Quieroz and Walter Smith as no 2) simply because the club is too big, the spot light is too bright and quite frankly the salaries are too good not to go for best in class.

As alternatives, well it all depend on Ashworth and Berrata TBH. They need to have valid people they can trust in roles that these new recruits are comfortable in. However if you press me for names then I can think of three.

a- Brighton's HOR, Sam Jewell. The guy went up the ranks first as a scout with Swindon, U21 recruitment manager at Brighton and HOR at Brighton as well. He was involved in a number of great SA deals like Caicedo and Mac Allister. Jewell and Ashworth has worked together.
b- James Smith was Moyes's technical director at Everton, then moved at United to restructure our scouting team only to get fired as soon as Moyes was shown the door. City hired him as European scout but had since went up the ranks to become the city group head of recruitment. The guy would have first hand experience of what's wrong at Manchester United and would probably love to give his mate Murtough his goodbyes on the way out. Smith and Berrata would have probably worked together + James would have a good idea what to expect at Manchester United having been here before

c- James Ward. Former no 2 and then successor to Edwards at Liverpool, Julian ward had also experience as Manchester City's South American Scouting Strategist
I wouldn't call Stalybridge local, it's not even in Manchester just the metropolitan borough.

devilish

I wouldn't call Stalybridge local, it's not even in Manchester just the metropolitan borough.
Still he's very local considering the circumstances. Surely he understands the city more then the average Welsh or Scottish dude let alone the average German, Italian or French one

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Still he's very local considering the circumstances. Surely he understands the city more then the average Welsh or Scottish dude let alone the average German, Italian or French one
You don't know that, may have just been born there.

tjb

And if we applied your logic, Sir Alex would have been sacked in 1989 and we would never have dominated the PL era the way we have/did.
Why don't people on this thread comprehend that Fergie didn't have the same advantages we do now? Given our managers' failures, this statement is ludicrous. Fergie did not have 400 million to spend in 1989; even with inflation factored in, it was not close. We are one of the three biggest football clubs in the world. How come people don't comprehend that this comes with a standard?

On a larger level, the club must determine if it wants to create something special or spend time being kind to managers. Managers, like players, must establish that they belong at this club. For the past ten years, none of our managers have demonstrated the ability to get the team to play quality football in their first season. Yet, as a club, we were still ready to tolerate their poor performance and give them more money to spend. Expecting success, when logic said an average season was incoming. In 2016/17, Liverpool scored 78 league goals. Without Salah or Van Dijk, Klopp had already demonstrated his ability to get the team to play attacking football. They didn't get the results quite yet, but the club and fans had every right to believe that player purchases leading to improvements in some key areas, would lead to success. Where Liverpool could anticipate based on previous performances, United have simply been hopeful. City, that season, despite Pep seemingly failing scored 80 goals that season. Despite these two teams not having consistent enough results, they performed consistently well enough to score 78 and 80 goals respectively. Hence giving their fans and the club reason to believe in their future successes. Any top team should expect its manager, regardless of personnel, to get the team to play decent football. Football that creates chances and controls games. They should expect to see this in the majority of the 50+ games. Not just in two to three games. Fans are still talking about Juanfield to excuse LVG. Whether expected or not, in these situations, the club must make difficult decisions. For me, they haven't done it enough in the last ten years. It's easy to fire managers after two years of failure when the media is on your side. However, it's important to make quick, effective decisions when it's clear the person hired has not provided the football or success anticipated. Managers are supposed to prove to us that they can implement a system (with the players they already have in place) that can have us challenging for top honours. This means consistently providing chances and getting control of games. After their first seasons, none of our managers managed to prove that. Instead these managers, despite spending millions, try to convince fans that it's a miracle that they got into expected positions. These managers are right in regard to performances not being good enough to justify their elevated league positions, but the team should have been expected to perform better on the pitch. What we've done is wait for tommorow, hope it comes and realize that we've wasted time hoping.

How then, with little evidence shown during the time of these managers at the club, do we provide 100% support and finances to these managers who haven't even proven their systems work. It makes no sense to trust a manager who hasn't shown you they can play good football with the players they already have. It's almost ludicrous to then trust that the manager can win major honors simply with better players. Especially when you consider that the majority of those players already had are at the very least better than what 60 % of the league have available to them. This is why we've wasted so much money over the last ten years. Over the years, all these managers have done is tell us that, even though they have better players than 60% of the teams they play against, they still need better players to actually play well.All we've done as a club is back that notion. encouraging players to believe that their lack of skill is the reason for the manager's failure. Even if these players have performed admirably for their former teams and national teams. I believe in leniency for managers who have proven they can play good football at their club. For example, Tuchel at Chelsea or Wenger at Arsenal or Klopp in 2021 at Liverpool. However, if a manager hasn't demonstrated that he can consistently implement good football at the club, it makes no sense to support them over players. But fans are so ready to boot players like DDG, Bruno, Pogba, and Rashord in favour of managers who haven't even proven they can guide the team to consistently play excellent football. When these players become irate, we're shocked. You should ALWAYS be looking at the manager if your team isn't performing well, your players aren't satisfied, and after a few months you're still not seeing results. However, the club only takes action against these managers once its obvious that the club is in disarray. Leaving us with a deluge of wasted seasons. The idea of a rebuild for a club with our size and expectations based on a manager does not make sense. Noone is bigger than the club, including the managers we have. We should always be chasing the top

Gordon Godot

Likewise for ETH at Ajax :D
Are you seriously comparing them? Aberdeen were a fairly small club who toppled the two big clubs in Scotland, at a time when standard in Scotland was much higher. He also won a significant EUropean trophy. ETH took over at a giant in a tiny league that was always winning and continued to win. If you are serious its one of the worst posts ever

Status
Not open for further replies.