Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotThatSoph

That's true but one ting we can be certain about is that it's not just transfers that need funding. We need stadium and training ground improvements. There's also vast ROI potential in developing United themed experiences through what Neville has called a "United World" type of entertainment complex. These 3 things together will cost between £2bn and £3bn. That's not something that will be provided by someone other than either a state funded (not state owned, there's a significant difference) entity, or an extremely wealthy and generous owner can provide.
Would SJR be willing to spend on the area in that way? Likely
Is SJR wealthy enough to put in 2-3bn into infrastructure? Unlikely.

Hence why Qatar is popular. There's a lot more investment required than just money spent on transfers that will make us a sustainable powerhouse for the long term. We have opportunities for ROI that only extreme investment and wealth can help realise.
Sure. We'll be privately owned just like City.

Sly1

Yes but any future success will have no value if the Qataris take over and start pumping in millions for transfers.

We don't know that for sure, what if things don't work out with the team on the pitch and the owner (we don't know who will actually be the real owner, Sheikh Jaseem seems like an intermediary for Qatar to find a way to own both PSG and United) decides he has to pump in his(someone else's) money to fix the issue or do something shady because he doesn't have enough money. I don't want United to get in trouble like City.

Well, the Qatari bidder has connections to terrorists according to the video posted here, no one will care about the history and tradition that you talked about if blood money is used to take the club back to the top again. We will actually become worse than City or PSG.
Both City and PSG are better run than Man Utd,at least for the past 10 years.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'd prefer bankruptcy and relegation above Qatar, easily, which means I also prefer the Glazers above them even though I obviously don't want them here. There are no good alternatives, but I'm sure we could end up with someone better than the Glazers if we're "lucky".
You mean you prefer to cut off one's nose to spite one's face.

TMS

SJR was the dream owner only a few months ago. Fans were holding banners with his face on.

What this is, is fans seeing a golden ticket to buy our way to the top. To some, their lives and happiness seem to rely on United being successful, so I understand why they are crack-fiend desperate for this fix.
SJR was seen as a dream owner simply because he wasn't the Glazers. He represented not himself as a potential buyer of the club, but the idea that we could be rid of the Glazers and our debts wiped. There were always questions over whether he could afford us, he loyalty to United etc. when you actually read in to what he could offer as an actual potential buyer himself.

Fans want the club in the best position to compete off its own back with any new owner and after scrutiny is put on the SJR/INEOS option it doesn't seem like they would be the best option in that respect. The inability to clear the existing debt and unlikeliness to be able to invest what is required in infrastructure immediately is evidence of this.

I don't see the Qatari bid being one with endless riches to fund mega transfers, and wouldn't want it to be, but even beyond that I think it's the best option for the club financially.

Prodigal7

SJR was seen as a dream owner simply because he wasn't the Glazers. He represented not himself as a potential buyer of the club, but the idea that we could be rid of the Glazers and our debts wiped. There were always questions over whether he could afford us, he loyalty to United etc. when you actually read in to what he could offer as an actual potential buyer himself.

Fans want the club in the best position to compete off its own back with any new owner and after scrutiny is put on the SJR/INEOS option it doesn't seem like they would be the best option in that respect. The inability to clear the existing debt and unlikeliness to be able to invest what is required in infrastructure immediately is evidence of this.

I don't see the Qatari bid being one with endless riches to fund mega transfers, and wouldn't want it to be, but even beyond that I think it's the best option for the club financially.
Agreed. It's in the interest of any owner to try to enforce FFP across the PL and Europe, as we are a leader in revenue generation it plays to our advantage.

We don't need to sugar daddy for transfers. What we need is someone willing to invest very large sums of money on stadium and training facilities in addition to what has been termed a "United World" entertainment complex. This requires up to £3bn which is pocket change for Sheikh Jassim and guarantees a strong return on investment, so you can be pretty certain they will do it. Perhaps Sir Jim will do that as well, but it would be a huge financial cost even for him. If he committed to what I've said above then I would support his bid, but he seems to be avoiding the topic completely which makes me suspicious.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd prefer bankruptcy and relegation above Qatar, easily, which means I also prefer the Glazers above them even though I obviously don't want them here. There are no good alternatives, but I'm sure we could end up with someone better than the Glazers if we're "lucky".
I just saw that Qatar is the UK’s biggest foreign investor with over £35b put into the UK economy since 2010. They’re already here, all major real estate is funded by them, they’re the largest stakeholder in Barclays and other financial institutions, they own the petrol and gas, and a bunch of high end shops and shopping centres.

Personally I chose not to question where the money comes from as we’d have to start questioning everything then, and the UK economy cannot function without major overseas investment. We don’t save enough, we don’t invest enough and we don’t have access to funds like others do. If we like and enjoy the growth and better standards of living, you need this kind of investment into the economy.

Robocrap

Can someone ask ChatGPT - Who is better for Man United, SJR or the Qatari's?

Let's settle this once and for all.

"As an AI language model, I must remain neutral and objective. Therefore, I cannot say who is better for Manchester United between SJR (presumably referring to Sir Jim Ratcliffe, a British businessman who has been linked with a potential takeover bid for the club) and the Qatari's (presumably referring to the Qatar Sports Investments, the owners of Paris Saint-Germain football club and rumored to be interested in buying Manchester United).

Ultimately, the decision on who is better for Manchester United would depend on various factors, including the potential new owners' financial resources, management strategies, and long-term plans for the club. It is up to the fans and stakeholders of Manchester United to decide which ownership group they believe would be the best fit for the club's future success."

Reactions: Jippy

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So you not really a Manchester United fan then, as clearly you care more about personal agendas than the good of the club

McTerminator

Hold on a second, there are some who have equated any criticism of Qatar as islamophobia and racism. I don't think anyone is going after those in favour of Qatar to the same degree in order to shut down their opinions.

Nor are any of those in favour of SJR and Ineos against his offer being scrutinised. In fact, as one of those in favour I encourage it. I think as fans, we at least deserve to know how any potential owner is going to fund the club and where those funds are coming from.

The insecurities I am seeing are from those who don't want to be challenged on why they've suddenly flipped their entire view of State ownership. Which I'd argue is a perfectly valid thing to question given the current situation. If posters like @Wumminator suddenly started calling them homophobic because of their support there'd be a problem, but I don't see the issue with asking questions.

Edit as I have no posts left: @M4YON if that's the case then it's good you called it out. Think such attacks cheapen arguments, whether it's homophobic or racism.
Plenty on this forum seem to equate support for the Qatari bid with being a transphobic, gay hating, satan worshiper.

Everyone just needs to calm down. It’s only football, it’s not going to impact the geo-political landscape so just do whats best for the club…

romufc

Qatar has been linked to shady stuff for sure and it's policies for many of the things mentioned in this thread don't align with how I'd like the world to be or with western ideals in general. To think the world is a place of virtue and that most countries don't have blood on their hands is a nonsense though. If there was evidence they'd be taking money out of the club to fund terrorists that's a different story. Or if they were taken illegally or immorally gotten funds to fund their purchase of the club again it's a different story. Whilst some of their customs may be seen as immoral I haven't seen any evidence that their billions have been gotten illegally so I'm not sure how it'd be classed as blood money. They'd simply be a custodian of the club, which in itself brings greater scrutiny from the public and western world than they'll have had before and add pressure and impetus to slowly but surely reform. At the end of the day if the club isn't lobbying for the treatment of women/LGBTQ+ etc. and migrant working conditions seen in Qatar to be replicated at United which is never going to be the case then I'm good. Not to mention the fact that Qatari and ME money is already bountiful within UK society so in my eyes another case of the horse has already bolted.
This is why I think politics needs to be taken out of this. There are so many things that go on in countries, no one is a saint.

Like you said, the UK is doing so much with Qatar in trade and infrastructure, so we cannot involve politics with this.

Every country has their own laws, yes some may not agree with them, but they will have to follow the laws and regulations of the country they are investing in anyway.

BarstoolProphet

What is bonkers about that? There IS no comparison. One is a dictatorial family dynasty, the other is a democratically elected government. They are poles apart in every sense.
Furthermore the UK government hasn’t bid to buy United, so are irrelevant. That they are corrupt, incompetent, dishonest, in it for themselves etc is kinda a given so doesn’t really add much to the conversation.
Everytime somebody says “I am uneasy about the Qatar bid because X,Y,Z” they get shouted down by numpties going what about your government, what about the Americans, what about NI ffs. It’s boring, and isn’t relevant to the sale of United. It is a false equivalence and it has to stop so we can further this debate.
I have yet to see anybody say anything positive in support of the Qatar bid that doesn’t just boil down to ‘gimme the moneyyyy!’ One group doing something bad or immoral doesn’t make it acceptable for others to do immoral stuff, and doesn’t change the fact that United do not need to become embroiled in all this political back and forth that detracts from what supporting the club and watching the games is supposed to be about.
You don't see what's bonkers with your claim? It's extremely Western-tinted glass view and way past the border of being ignorant. You mentioned the issues in Qatar and at the same time mentioned US and UK government cannot be compared to Qatar or 'ME Islamic leadership' as you decided to group it as, implying that Qatar government are way worse and at the same time dragging Islam into it. And you continue to downplay it by only mentioning corruption, incompetence, dishonesty etc when mentioning UK and US governments, once again blindly viewed through a Western-lens, as if that are the most serious transgressions made by previous and current governments of those nations. Don't make statements like this if you don't want to influence the debate with political issues then.

Come on you know very well that the bolded part is not true. If anything, it was those hammering down the moral aspect early on that initiated the debate going political. If you find it boring and not relevant, why bring it up time and time again then? It's because it's only relevant if it suits your agenda, regardless if you have done any research on the subject - which by all accounts you don't bother to do. I've provided you with several examples and replies to your statements (situation in Qatar and ME in general, terrorism links etc.), yet you don't want to discuss that suddenly. I have previously stated why I would prefer a Qatari ownership to SJR/US investment banks/US consortiums (seems to be the only options for now) which is not based on your paraphrasing "gimme the moneyyy!" nor is it based on being massively pro-Qatar. Reasons mentioned are both rooted in purely sporting view but also development on the area of human rights issues, hence why I try to provide a more nuanced view (without defending it) of the situation in the region instead of the typical lazy Western reporting you seem to take as face value.

Like it or not, United would be a political tool one way or the other for owners in that cash segment. And no, there's many factors that would prevent the UK (or US in that matter) government having issues with Qatar owning United. There's no chance of sanctions or anything, that is just you trying to stir up issues that aren't there.

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

Really? According to folk on here it’s impossible to be a Qatari businessman and be separate from the state.
It's a small country where the only absolute minority are locals, so bound to be linked to the state one way or the other. The Royal Family is also huge and consists of several thousand members. That will probably change more in the future with Qatar opening more and more up for foreign investments in a plan to diversify their economy (similar to Dubai).

Rolaholic

And rightly so will they take the highest offer. They have no real alliance to the club. It was always been about the money.

And you're correct, no one is wrong or correct. However, it would be good to read people have a civilised debate, but I know that won't happen. :keano:

Just imagine this fanbase have 50+1 ownership in the club?! :lol:
Would be a disaster waiting to happen tbf

NotThatSoph

So you not really a Manchester United fan then, as clearly you care more about personal agendas than the good of the club
I don't get the need to play games like this. Obviously I think what I do because I think that is better for the club, why pretend I'm saying anything different?

Obviously you disagree with me about what United should be, and that's fine.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Don't play that card. Some feel it's better for the club if Qatar didn't own United. I'm sure plenty of City fans came out with that argument and now they're looking at the end of a gun barrel.

You could argue people who care about the money and infinite war chests to fulfill their transfer Muppet dreams are following their personal agendas.

We're all United fans. All with different opinions.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
This is why I think politics needs to be taken out of this. There are so many things that go on in countries, no one is a saint.

Like you said, the UK is doing so much with Qatar in trade and infrastructure, so we cannot involve politics with this.

Every country has their own laws, yes some may not agree with them, but they will have to follow the laws and regulations of the country they are investing in anyway.
I'm not a fan of the UK, nor of Barclays, or shopping centres. It's not a valid argument in my opinion, it feels like an easy way to turn the blind eye in an attempt to not tarnish your own morals.

It doesn't matter if Qatar obeys our laws and regulations. That's beside the point, if their own laws are horrific then why should they be accepted at United? That same argument could apply to any country, would you welcome the Taliban, Russia or North Korea? Where does the line start and end. Why is it acceptable just because they're rich.

There is no way I would want to raise a daughter in Qatar, would you?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I don't get the need to play games like this. Obviously I think what I do because I think that is better for the club, why pretend I'm saying anything different?

Obviously you disagree with me about what United should be, and that's fine.
Don't play that card. Some feel it's better for the club if Qatar didn't own United. I'm sure plenty of City fans came out with that argument and now they're looking at the end of a gun barrel.

You could argue people who care about the money and infinite war chests to fulfill their transfer Muppet dreams are following their personal agendas.

We're all United fans. All with different opinions.
Well of course and that's absolutely fine, but that is not what they said at all - what kind of twisted logic leads any Man Utd fan to think relegation and bankruptcy is preferable to takeover by a Qatari ?

Especially when we don't yet know that many details about this Qatari bid

romufc

I'm not a fan of the UK, nor of Barclays, or shopping centres. It's not a valid argument in my opinion, it feels like an easy way to turn the blind eye in an attempt to not tarnish your own morals.

It doesn't matter if Qatar obeys our laws and regulations. That's beside the point, if their own laws are horrific then why should they be accepted at United? That same argument could apply to any country, would you welcome the Taliban, Russia or North Korea? Where does the line start and end. Why is it acceptable just because they're rich.

I see and agree where you are coming from. The reason I say take politics out is because then, I dont think any owner is good for us.

So let me put it this way, would you prefer Ratcliffe? He is borrowing money from JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs, who have had sexist, genderist and fraud issues.

I am saying, if you rule one out, they all get ruled our really.

Also, is this just ownership? Why do laws of a country only matter when it comes to ownership and not sponsorship?

BarstoolProphet

I would, but can understand the reservations. If they go down the Dubai route then I would feel even more sure. In terms of safety in Dubai, you could even send your young daughter across town during the middle of the night and expect her to come back without any bad experiences..That can't be said for pretty much every single big city in the West. I have a couple of friends residing there with there respective young daughters and they love it and have so far not suffered any of the issues mentioned, but there's probably a huge difference in where you come from (ie. nations, family wealth etc.) and where in the ME you are residing.

BarstoolProphet

I see and agree where you are coming from. The reason I say take politics out is because then, I dont think any owner is good for us.

So let me put it this way, would you prefer Ratcliffe? He is borrowing money from JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs, who have had sexist, genderist and fraud issues.

I am saying, if you rule one out, they all get ruled our really.

Also, is this just ownership? Why do laws of a country only matter when it comes to ownership and not sponsorship?
Add to that facilitating criminal networks and individuals and manipulation of markets causing massive recessions and destroying thousands of lives. Without being held accountable (fines are just lip service) so they keep going.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For balance isn't Credit Suisse the center of the panama papers and every bit as bad and damaging as Goldmand Sachs and JP Morgan?

Rolaholic

I would, but can understand the reservations. If they go down the Dubai route then I would feel even more sure. In terms of safety in Dubai, you could even send your young daughter across town during the middle of the night and expect her to come back without any bad experiences..That can't be said for pretty much every single big city in the West. I have a couple of friends residing there with there respective young daughters and they love it and have so far not suffered any of the issues mentioned, but there's probably a huge difference in where you come from (ie. nations, family wealth etc.) and where in the ME you are residing.
Yea I'd rather raise them in a city like Doha or Dubai than a major American city honestly, they'd be safer.

Still though, I fail to see how those considerations would be in any way relevant to a discussion regarding ownership of our club

BarstoolProphet

For balance isn't Credit Suisse the center of the panama papers and every bit as bad and damaging as Goldmand Sachs and JP Morgan?
Based on their respective history and continued transgressions I would say a no (but open to be told otherwise!), but they are quite similar in being on the receiving end of a laughably amount of fines for breaking the law and still being allowed to continue to operate. What I would say is that the Panama Papers shoved that there's potential serious issues in the entire banking industry in general in terms of market manipulation, funneling money to terrorists organisations and whitewashing in general, not just those who usually are on the receiving end of such accusations (islamic banks mostly, especially the two latter).

TsuWave

You guys still trying to justify yourselves to other people? Crazy

Tell Al Thani to come through on his promises of new Old Trafford, renovation and investment in the academy and infrastructure of the club and turning the surrounding area and community into a futuristic metropolis, and we're all good

NotThatSoph

Well of course and that's absolutely fine, but that is not what they said at all - what kind of twisted logic leads any Man Utd fan to think relegation and bankruptcy is preferable to takeover by a Qatari ?

Especially when we don't yet know that many details about this Qatari bid
The logic is very simple. A club is more than winning and throphies. It's history, community, even at times ideology. You cannot, for instance, separate Manchester United the club from the Manchester working class movement. You cannot divorce Munich and the Busby Babes from the club.

For me, United being owned by Qatar is such a blow to the club that it's worse than not being in the PL. There are millions of fans around of clubs that don't win, do you think all of them want to become like City and that they're not real fans if they don't?

sglowrider

You guys still trying to justify yourselves to other people? Crazy

Tell Al Thani to come through on his promises of new Old Trafford, renovation and investment in the academy and infrastructure of the club and turning the surrounding area and community into a futuristic metropolis, and we're all good
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But the energy levels are definitely down a few notches. I think most people's angst has almost burnt itself out.

AlPistacho

Qatar is much safer than Dubai. Dubai is very safe compared to most of the world, but compared to the ME it has a reputation of being the place where you’re most likely to have you house broken into or get robbed/murdered.

Still very very low, and most likely it would you getting involved with the wrong people or the wrong people getting close to you first. But that’s the thing a lot of the “wrong people” from all over the world are in Dubai. I have a hunch something will happen involving a westerner to shatter Dubai’s “safe” reputation and the authorities will clamp down as the locals will start to get annoyed.

kidbob

Incorrect.

Personally, I want rich owners to clear the debt and run the football club better. There are only a handful of people around the world that can buy this club without debt, most are ME owners.

We already spend loads of money on transfers and have the ability to blow them out of the water, what we do not have is world class facilities and infrastructure.

City 10 years in are producing better youth than United, who have historically been the best at this. They have much better infrastructure than us, all within 10 years.

Now, Newcastle will be doing this, they already have the stadium anyway.
Who are they producing better than us? Honestly?

For me Foden = Greenwood as talents with obviously outside of football things being the decider here.

Who is their equivalent of Garnacho right now? Who is their equivalent of Diallo or Hannibal doing well on loans? Most of all who is their equivalent of Rashford? Who are these top young players that they are producing so much better than us? I could give you credit if you made that claim about Chelsea, but who have City produced to even think they have surpassed us in that regard? Is there youth players that have left City to play at a PL level? Hell they lost Sancho because of their lack of pathway to the first team. For all the money they have City's youth performance has been laughable.

What we actually need is someone to buy us and simply clear the debt and use the club's revenues to fund the first team. Upgrading the stadium and facilities can be done by loans taken out against the owners and not the club. That doesn't need Qatar or any other sports washing nation involved.

georgipep

You mean you prefer to cut off one's nose to spite one's face.
I agree with the poster you responded to. And if you want to use such silly sayings that have nothing in common with the original argument, I'd say that I prefer for the club to keep its soul clean from money coming from cutting other people's bodies for wanting basic human rights.

sglowrider

I agree with the poster you responded to. And if you want to use such silly sayings that have nothing in common with the original argument, I'd say that I prefer for the club to keep its soul clean from money coming from cutting other people's bodies for wanting basic human rights.
Have you been to the Middle East, especially the gulf states?

TMS

Why wouldn't them obeying local laws and regulation matter? If that isn't relevant why would their laws be relevant either? At what point do laws and regulations matter? The topic is the ownership of Manchester United, so the focus should be on how any prospective owner would control Manchester United. If they are run according to local laws, regulations and customs surely that is relevant. Trying to live life only interacting with things that have complete virtuousness from the way they are run to the owners political leanings or how they run other things from businesses to countries is a pure act of folly in todays world.

Status
Not open for further replies.