Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
But they'd just vanish into the background, and have no say in anything, it should surely also keep the price down for Sir Jim, allowing him to invest more into stadium.

If it was a minority stake for Sir Jim, then it's big fat no, but with it been majority, I'm not sure it's such an issue.
Guess it’s a personal preference but I don’t want those cnuts to be involved in the club in any financial sense anymore. They would also take dividends out of the club so more of the clubs money going to them as time goes on.

AlPistacho

They finished 7th, who cares where they were in December. The owner isn't the manager or the players. You don't notice ownership impact in 1 or 2 years unless they financially dope the club.
I just think a bid that is 100% ownership. No debt. Gives a plan for the team, stadium, training, women’s team is much superior to a majority bid that uses billions of debt will be chained to ‘Wallstreet’ doesn’t give any plans about the stadium, training, or women’s team.

If the bids are reversed. We know exactly what people would be saying. Everything about Nice would be an issue. Everything about the debt, majority ownership, lack of talk about the stadium, training and women’s team would be huge issues.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The same boyhood United fan's involve themselves daily in consuming products or living in properties part funded by the ME. It's hypocrisy and doesn't make sense to then go and actively seek the worst deal for the club so people can continue lying to themselves.
You're taking mental gymnastics to suggest hypocrisy. It's like when people choose to be vegetarian and then someone will say "blargh you wear leather belts though. What a hypocrite".

Ultimately everyone has their own moral compass that draws the line on different levels. I'm not here to discuss that. I'm here to take exception to your idea about how proper boyhood United fans wouldn't want INEOS to take on glazer debt and have Ratcliff own the club.

There are reasons why it works and there's also reason why Qatar works. Suggesting one is the boyhood United way and the other isn't is absolute bollocks.

There’s a boyhood United fan who wants to buy us without debt. Funny how everyone who talks about “women” have ignored the fact that the Qatari bid would also be great for the women’s team, while under Jim’s there’s no mention of the women’s team, stadium, training facilities…. Just the same appeal Ole used to use.
I didn't say there wasn't. Do you know what I am answering to?

Nogbadthebad

Literally, the only reason why the Qataris are the popular choice is because 'they have loads of money'. Do you really think the majority of people have actually read the statements etc.? No, their thought process can be simplified to this:

Qataris make bid + Qataris extremely rich = Qataris are the best

Most of them have probably never even heard of Ineos/Ratcliffe.
This is is implistic nonsense.

Judged purely on merit, the current available information shows the qatar bid to be objectively superior to the ineos bid.

It identifies areas of expenditure necessary, such as infrastructure, stadium, the womens team, that Ineos studiously ignore.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're still 3rd in the league and making progress. Glazers are shite owners but it is possible INEOS could be even more shite owners. Ratcliffe hasn't done a good job at all at Nice. Also there's still been no mention from INEOS of removing the debt, so we don't know that that will be gone. In fact, everything suggests they have needed to take on more debt for the bid which will need to be paid off with interest, regardless of whether or not the new debt is officially under the name of INEOS instead of Utd (which I'm pretty sure would have been illegal anyway). You'd hope the dividends part is at least true, but there are a huge amount of negatives with this bid from what I can see.
It is possible ME owners would be worse too. We literally have 0 clue on who they would hire, if they want to be the center of attention or not, what structure they would implement. Nobody can know any of this until it happens. There is an equal chance of any scenario under any ownership... For all we know, the new owner might be a Ronaldo and Mourinho fanboy and think Ten Hag and his pressing are nonsense.

Also - what makes it a bad job that Ratcliffe is doing with Nice? Genuine question. Don't give me nonsense like "they haven't made the CL in 3 seasons since takeover" when their revenues and spend don't dictate that that is an expectation. Ownership is judged over a long period of time, based on performance relative to revenue and spend in the league, if the club is losing money, how they are set up for the future, etc. Only financial doping as ownership will have an instant impact.

Also - it is irrelevant for you, I, or the club if the owners have debt. As long as the club isn't the one paying it off and isn't on the hook for it, I couldn't give a feck what the owner does. As long as the owner doesn't take money out of the club (and reports have been that they wouldn't, and that they would move the existing debt to their name), then the club is in a good and healthy position.

Judas

Open to offers
Will we get a jazzy little megastore in Tokyo like PSG do if Qatar takes over? No one’s asking the important questions.

EDIT - apparently it’s permanently closed now anyway :lol: RIP. Ours would be popular though!

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
How is it nonsense?

People have completely changed their opinions on literal human rights and deaths of vulnerable people because it benefits them. It should be constantly mentioned.
It’s called the Groucho Marx guide to ethics…’These are my principles, and if you don’t like them…well, I’ve got other ones’

Last edited:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
If Qataris would come for Ajax there would be blood on the streets. I rather would have another 18/19 CL campaign ending in tears on the edge of a CL final than winning one becasue of middle east oil money.

C'est Moi Cantona

Guess it’s a personal preference but I don’t want those cnuts to be involved in the club in any financial sense anymore. They would also take dividends out of the club so more of the clubs money going to them as time goes on.
Seems the majority thing isn't a case of them sticking around anyway, just that they don't own 100 % of the shares in the club anymore, or something like that.

lostcauz

This idea that 'loans are bad' needs to die; the use of loans is a normal practice in business. Why would you pay out £4-5bn, or so, in cash when you can spread the payments over a much longer period with a loan? It is pure stupidity to do anything other than taking out a loan.

I don't get why people are worried about the financial implications of being owned by Ineos:

- Ineos generated over £2bn in post-tax profit in 2021, and that is ignoring the need to add back depreciation etc. With dep'n and amort added back, their post-tax profit would be £2.8bn.
- Cash & equivalents were at £2.1bn in 2021
- On top of that, they have receivables for £2.4bn

There is nothing to have an issue with there.
As we don’t know the whole picture, you have to go on assumptions and think the loan they will take out will be to buy the club. What about money for the current debt, stadium and training ground. I’ve just written off the idea they will input money for transfers. You need £6B minimum to do the above.

If they partner with another bid or don’t fully own the club then the likely hood of any other money coming from Ineos is high.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Seems the majority thing isn't a case of them sticking around anyway, just that they don't own 100 % of the shares in the club anymore, or something like that.
They don’t even own 100% of shares right now. Just would prefer them to be gone and that any money the clubs earns it keeps which is what Al Thani has proposed.

Rojofiam

If Qataris would come for Ajax there would be blood on the streets. I rather would have another 18/19 CL campaign ending in tears on the edge of a CL final than winning one becasue of middle east oil money.
I'd rather get relegated to League Two than get taken over by Qatar...what pains me the most however is the reaction of the fan base. Other than reddit, every social media I've seen is full of bellends twerking for Qatar...including RedCafe

Bert_

Madness isn’t it? :lol:

I’d rather have Qataris than Tories. The Tories have done more damage than any Qatari regime.
feck me. Qatar is tory heaven. Ruled by a small elite, ultra capitalist, terrible human rights record, no accountability

AneRu

I wouldn't mind an Ienos or Qatari ownership, the main outcome I want out of this is the Glazers gone. But Jim's bid is vague on the level of debt he'd procure to fund his bid because even if he was to put in on Ineos' books he'd still be on the hook for it, at approx 5% he'd be looking at potentially paying anything between £100m to £200m in interest and it will, in some way, affect his ability fund the important infrastructural upgrades that are now due.

I am also suspicious of his bid anchoring too much on identity politics with a hint on xenophobia, something we know appeals a lot to the top red fringe. I dont know how such beliefs would impact the decision making processes, remember the club has had to raise the middle finger to the sentimental, delusional fringe on key decisions like the Moyes sack, the Ole sack and the ETH hire. I worry that if Sir Jim carries his Britannia rhetoric into decision making then will have the same Woodwardsque missteps.

The fact that he is not overcommiting on the stadium promises makes me suspicious that it will be the same Glazernomics dressed up in a Manc accent and could be a major step back at a time when the likes of Spurs and Liverpool could be under new ownership soon. The Glazers never understood that the bottomline is won and earned on the football pitch and if Sir Jim comes in with corporate B.S about cutting the fat, smart money etc then we are in for another era of pain.

The Qafari might face resistance and could make some key mistakes but eventually they will get it right and the ability of the club to compete financially will be secured. We all know that soon City or PSG will win the CL, took United under Fergie how mamy years to crack Europe?

Lecland07

This is is implistic nonsense.

Judged purely on merit, the current available information shows the qatar bid to be objectively superior to the ineos bid.

It identifies areas of expenditure necessary, such as infrastructure, stadium, the womens team, that Ineos studiously ignore.
Do you generally believe most people have read the statement? You are being a bit naïve if you believe that.

I stand by what I said, the majority have not read either statement and are basing their decision on familiarity. In this case, Qataris are known to be extremely rich and instantly take the lead in people's minds; the vast majority will not look beyond that.

Ineos/Ratcliffe are far lesser known than a country, so they would always be in second place, no matter what statement is put out by them. The statements will not decide the favourite amongst fans.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just think a bid that is 100% ownership. No debt. Gives a plan for the team, stadium, training, women’s team is much superior to a majority bid that uses billions of debt will be chained to ‘Wallstreet’ doesn’t give any plans about the stadium, training, or women’s team.

If the bids are reversed. We know exactly what people would be saying. Everything about Nice would be an issue. Everything about the debt, majority ownership, lack of talk about the stadium, training and women’s team would be huge issues.
Of course if the bid was reversed it would be different. But you simply can't ignore the very real issues. United will be directly tied to Qatar. Every press conference ten hag will be asked about political issues where he will now be uncomfortable and have to say "uh, I can only talk about football" and we have to morally pretend like it doesn't bother us, when every single one of us have criticized Newcastle, PSG and City for the same thing.

I wouldn't stop supporting the club, but I'd just much rather prefer not to have the club I've supported my whole life not also be a whole moral black spot.

Cantonagotmehere

I’ve umm’d and ahh’d over this for the last few days since the Qatar interest has manifested itself, and seemingly every 5 mins spent thinking about my personal opinion on the matter, I’m just left torn.

I think it’s great that so many people are highlighting their human rights record & lack of support for women and the gay community - but, then what? What are you expecting to happen after that?

It kind of reminds of the reaction when something overtly racist happens - like Rashford, Saka & Sancho missing their pens in the Euro Final and the trolls came out in force, but as a country we all banded together to stomp out racism, and make it clear that it’s wrong. Great. Then what? Not much else you can do beyond that right, you just have to live life knowing that people who hold such views live among us and could be in positions of power. It’s disappointing but life can’t stop.

I’ve spent the last 10 years or so being part of social movements, primarily rooted in Black & LGBTQ progression - and one of the hardest parts about it is, you can care so deeply about an issue, and put your heart, soul & every ounce of effort into wanting to see change - and it still won’t move the needle, because the people who have the power to make change, are often the very people you’re fighting against or the people who are indifferent.

So yeah, it’s great to see so many people pushback on a country with an ideology that isn’t accepting of all people - but I want you all to realise that you’re going to have to live with the disappointment that your good intentions & moral code isn’t enough.
Maybe one day in the future Qatar will change its laws on human rights & equality, hopefully soon, however this guy buying Manchester United, will not have an impact on that. The best that we can hope for, is that he personally doesn’t believe gay people & women are less equal, in the same way I have to try and believe everyone I come across isn’t racist.
Side note: Sir Jim being a tax-haven living Brexit voting gammon doesn’t sit well with me either, (though obviously doesn’t compare) there’s no such thing as a good billionaire.

If Al Thani buys us, he has to invest in the women’s team & their facilities, and also make it clear that everybody regardless of their sexuality is a part of this club. Beyond that, I’m not expecting much else.

I don’t know if that makes sense, and maybe in another 5 mins my mind will change again - but ultimately, the closest thing I can compare the feeling to, is that reluctant acceptance that people treat others differently for things they have no control over, and you can’t change their mind about it. Anybody who’s part of an oppressed minority can probably relate.

On to the football side of things, we don’t need someone who needs to falsify sponsorships in order for us to generate revenue. Even after 10 years of almost no success we generate £700M in revenue, and without the glazers & their debt, I calculate approximately £150-200m that we could spend on a yearly basis - depending on where we finish in the league - without needing to dip into cash reserves. And for a manager like EtH that’s more than enough.
That being said, the glazers have clearly sucked us dry, so whoever does come in - needs to pay off the debt, not just move it via accounting. And, for the first window at least inject some cash for us to spend - we can be self-generating afterwards. Sir Jim’s offer is the least appealing based on this.

The others are nice to haves - yes it would be nice to have a new stadium, new facilities etc but it won’t stop any on-field success we have, it would simply make sure we’re not falling behind our competitors in those spaces.
If someone comes in & makes us debt free, we can still finance a new stadium & upgrade our facilities, because EtH won’t need to spend £200m every single year - so a new stadium might take 8 years instead of 3-5 for example.

I’ll wait until more details come out, SJR needs to be more transparent about how he’s raising his funds & how he plans on investing in the club if he’s having to loan from 2 different banks - both of which are also very questionable.

I like the Progress Pride flag that Arsenal have in their stadium, maybe we could get a banner with that flag hung in the stadium, that would be great.
Great post mate.

crossy1686

career ending
Why are hypothesising about something that wouldn't happen and something you wouldn't do?

Kaos

Literally, the only reason why the Qataris are the popular choice is because 'they have loads of money'. Do you really think the majority of people have actually read the statements etc.? No, their thought process can be simplified to this:

Qataris make bid + Qataris extremely rich = Qataris are the best

Most of them have probably never even heard of Ineos/Ratcliffe.
It's really not just down to them being rich.

The Qataris are the only ones who've promised full investment into building a new stadium, training facilities, developing the area and clearing the debt entirely. Things as fans we've been crying out for.

Ineos have only given us insubstantial assurances about putting Manchester back in United whatever that means.

I’m loving my life

They would make a great feeder club for us. We should be lobbying the owners for this in the next few months

liamp

Will we get a jazzy little megastore in Tokyo like PSG do if Qatar takes over? No one’s asking the important questions.

EDIT - apparently it’s permanently closed now anyway :lol: RIP. Ours would be popular though!
If they can give us apparel that looks as good as some of the PSG/Jordan Brand Collab, bring on our Qatari overlords

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
What you can also be assured of is that the fans as a majority will speak out against any discrimination. United aren't going to become some homsexual hating vehicle for discrimination overnight because the person with the purse lives in a Muslim state and has laws based on the Quran.
Exactly… I don’t think it’d go down well, hoying us gays off the north stand roof…

United will sign up to all the LGBT+ campaigns as always, PSG have done and so have City in the past.

Dazzmondo

It is possible ME owners would be worse too. We literally have 0 clue on who they would hire, if they want to be the center of attention or not, what structure they would implement. Nobody can know any of this until it happens. There is an equal chance of any scenario under any ownership... For all we know, the new owner might be a Ronaldo and Mourinho fanboy and think Ten Hag and his pressing are nonsense.

Also - what makes it a bad job that Ratcliffe is doing with Nice? Genuine question. Don't give me nonsense like "they haven't made the CL in 3 seasons since takeover" when their revenues and spend don't dictate that that is an expectation. Ownership is judged over a long period of time, based on performance relative to revenue and spend in the league, if the club is losing money, how they are set up for the future, etc. Only financial doping as ownership will have an instant impact.

Also - it is irrelevant for you, I, or the club if the owners have debt. As long as the club isn't the one paying it off and isn't on the hook for it, I couldn't give a feck what the owner does. As long as the owner doesn't take money out of the club (and reports have been that they wouldn't, and that they would move the existing debt to their name), then the club is in a good and healthy position.
It's possible, but at least Qatar have made clear statements about investment in infrastructure, the stadium and all our football teams. INEOS have not mentioned any of that in their statement, simply a vague mention of investing which could mean anything. There has also been an article from a while ago mentioning that Qatar wanted to back ETH with big investment which would suggest he should at least be safe under Qatari ownership.

In terms of Nice they were already finishing in roughly the same positions in the league consistently before INEOS took over. You would expect with the money that company would put into the club that they would show some signs of improvement. Also, any Nice fans I've seen talk about Ratcliffe and INEOS don't like him at all and think he's done a poor job. They're better sources than you or me frankly.

It's not irrelevant if the owner of our club has significant debt to repay, because whether he's taking money directly out of Utd or not, he'll be losing money that he could have been investing into the club, its infrastructure, the women's team, the academy, the stadium, etc.

Kammy26

“ blood on the streets” :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Exactly… I don’t think it’d go down well, hoying us gays off the north stand roof…

United will sign up to all the LGBT+ campaigns as always, PSG have done and so have City in the past.
:lol: Kin'ell, what a mental image that was.

But exactly, nothing will change on that front, in fact they may make bigger donations to the relevant communities and offer additional support.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
They would make a great feeder club for us. We should be lobbying the owners for this in the next few months
We're way too big to be a feeder club but I do agree we should have more of a collaboration than we do now. The whole Martinez transfer is a great example. We pick him up from Argentina for 7 million and sell hem for 70 million. If there would be some form of a mutual beneficial partnership United wouldn't have to pay the jackpot and we could pick up some more pearls from SA or let a Zidane Iqbal mature in the Eredivisie.

Status
Not open for further replies.