Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

It's a mental argument.

It'd be like trying to extrapolate how well a millionaire is going to look after his brand new Ferrari based on the care and attention he's given to his '16 Ford Fiesta parked up outside the driveway. It's juvenile analysis at best.

And to continue on with the analogy, it's even more mental to twerk for Jassim to take patronage of the Ferrari when we know he's never owned any car before and we don't even know if he can drive.
I've seen some strange arguments but this is as flawed an analogy as I've seen on here. Using that example you could easily say a guy who doesn't know how to drive a Ford Fiesta won't suddenly turn into a formula 1 racer just because he owns a Ferrari.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Ratcliffe is just an English Glazers. That’s why they get on so well.

He’ll be the same, if not worse than, the Glazers.

Another crap, hands off, out of touch, nepotism over excellence owner. It’s all right there.

He took over Nice, Qatar took over PSG… where was each club before? Where are they now?

It’s blatantly obvious and some of you are deluding yourselves.
Yeah. I doubt we will be even as good as Spurs have been under Levy.

Diadoras

There's one factor for me that often gets forgotten about when talking about money and who's going to do what when they come in and that's passion. It's about a love for United.

The difference between SJR and Jassim is that Jassim has openly stated he fell in love with the club when he was younger and living in the UK. For me, this makes all the difference. I never get that impression with SJR.
Yes he can talk a good talk,...Utd are the biggest club in the world....should be back up there...blah blah blah, but I always get the sense he's talking very much from a 'business' point of view.

I believe Jassim would run the club with passion and SJR would very much run it like a business first. Some people will say that's how it should be run and to a certain extent, that's true. But it's also very easy to forget that when push comes to shove it's about what happens on the pitch and its here where I think a manager like ETH would go 'we desperately need a striker' and the reaction from Jassim and SJR would be completely different. Jassims passion would be 'well who do you need, get what you want to be the best' and SJRs reaction would be '..well we've already spent £150m, so let's wait till the next transfer window'.

That for me is the biggest difference between the two of them. For one it will be a passion because he loves the club for the other, just another business deal.

And as a side note I've followed pro cycling for years and since Ineos took over Team Sky they've done bugger all in terms of major wins. He also moved Sir David Brailsford from Team Sky over to run Nice FC and that hasn't worked out. Running a business is one thing, running a sporting team is something else. It requires a different mindset.
One of the amazing things about this whole process has been the willingness of Qatar-In fans to accept naked propaganda as gospel. It's not subjected to any critical though whatsoever. All they needed to believe that it wasn't a state bid was a brief from the bid team.

dacore

Well if it goes to Jim then Jassim has only himself to blame. Then he didn´t want the club at any cost. But he has already said he won´t overpay. But sometimes you have to do it to get what you want. I could live with debt and partial repairs for some years. The money he would put there right now need to go the Glazers instead to win the race. Sad but true.

Godfather

Thing is though, we are pretty good at being vocal against our owners as we've gone through some proper shit with the Glazers. The moment Jim would turn out to be a bluffer I'm sure protests will come out again and might actually change things. That's my hope even if Jim turns out to be a crap owner (if he wins the bidding process).

PeteReDevil

iPete
Lets say you own Microsoft and are about to hire a new managing director. You get suggested a dude who has previously been managing two 7eleven stores. He hasnt really managed them well.
Are you going to trust him to manage Microsoft?
They - Microsoft, tried avoiding that in 2000. Didn't go down well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thing is though, we are pretty good at being vocal against our owners as we've gone through some proper shit with the Glazers. The moment Jim would turn out to be a bluffer I'm sure protests will come out again and might actually change things. That's my hope even if Jim turns out to be a crap owner (if he wins the bidding process).
The Glazers are leaving not because of our protests but because they can't afford the club. That's not an issue with Jim.

Amarsdd

Ratcliffe will put the current debt on Ineos right?

United will be debt free at that point. A debt free United can compete in the transfer market much better than they would with debt.

Surely this is better than keeping the Glazers or having to go down the same route as City and Newcastle?
yes but sshhhh, anything less than unlimited money is worse than Glazers! Keep with the time!

Hester_manc

If it is true that United sell to Ratcliffe now, then 100% what will happen is that the people from Qatar will buy Liverpool instead and make them the leading team in England.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
you arent reading the room. Many Utd supporters dont want to be like PSG at all.

PSG fans dont seem overly harmonious at the moment anyway
It’s not about ‘being like PSG’. It’s about how far has each owner taken the club they bought.

Man Utd isn’t PSG - it has its own identity.

Ratcliffe took over Nice - they have not improved. At all.

Qatar took over PSG - they have improved. A lot.

Add to that Rat’s ownership style - clueless nepotism, hands off, bizarre recruitment, out of touch - SOUND FAMILIAR??

Ratcliffe is a dangerous owner for Utd fans - make no mistake. Because you’re already accustomed to accepting all the crap decisions he’ll make.

He will sink Utd further. I guarantee it.

MDFC Manager

If it is true that United sell to Ratcliffe now, then 100% what will happen is that the people from Qatar will buy Liverpool instead and make them the leading team in England.
Look at the bright side - we can claim to be moral victors every year, instead of 'only' the years city win the league.

I’m loving my life

So the Glazers reportedly want Jim? They must really hate the fan base to want to keep screwing us for decades to come.

I’m sure everyone will be fine with Qatar now buying Liverpool and United perennially being in mid table. Because morals…

DownRiver

People do realise that if he buys the two brothers out at a higher premium than Jassim in a few years, he will need to folk out more money? Will that be more debt? Would that impact our finances? Would he get an investment fund?

cyberman

Jim won’t care as shown by keeping Galzers on board

HarryP

United could lose the prestige of being a club like Madrid, Barca and Bayern if they're owned by Qatar.

We see it with City. No matter how good of a team they construct or how many things they win, they'll never be seen in the same light as those other clubs. Ditto Chelsea.

I'm surprised by how so many are willing to risk a similar fate for United.

MegadrivePerson

Imagine sacking ten Hag after finishing second in the PL on 95 points and losing the CL final.

Imagine sacking a manager because someone like Mbappé is given too much player power and doesn't fancy the manager anymore.

Imagine having a really solid team, but then forcing some unnecessary signing onto a manager because it's a big name, like Donnarumma replacing Navas, or signing a 34-year old Ramos and a 35-year old Messi, simply because they are huge names.

These are the sorts of things I expect Qatar would be doing.
Yeah I completely agree.

This is one of many reasons I'm unsure about the Qatar bid.

I understand the argument about Sir Jims record at his other football clubs, but neither of them have the pull and the lure of Manchester United. I'm leaning towards thinking that it would be the best option.

ShinjiNinja26

United could lose the prestige of being a club like Madrid, Barca and Bayern if they're owned by Qatar.

We see it with City. No matter how good of a team they construct or how many things they win, they'll never be seen in the same light as those other clubs. Ditto Chelsea.

City and Chelsea never had the prestige of the level of the clubs you mentioned beforehand. It’s a completely different scenario.

jm99

We'll also stop being like those clubs if Qatar buy Liverpool and we're permanently outside the top 4.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It’s not about ‘being like PSG’. It’s about how far has each owner taken the club they bought.

Man Utd isn’t PSG - it has its own identity.

Ratcliffe took over Nice - they have not improved. At all.

Qatar took over PSG - they have improved. A lot.

Add to that Rat’s ownership style - clueless nepotism, hands off, bizarre recruitment, out of touch - SOUND FAMILIAR??

Ratcliffe is a dangerous owner for Utd fans - make no mistake. Because you’re already accustomed to accepting all the crap decisions he’ll make.

He will sink Utd further. I guarantee it.
Do you guarantee Qatar will make everything rosey and above board with no dodgy sponsors etc...

MegadrivePerson

I still don’t know what is best for the club. Don’t want state ownership, don’t know if Jim will invest enough in infrastructure.
[/QUOTE]

Anybody buying the club now knows that they will have to make a significant investment in the infrastructure. They won't have a choice.

Raynaldo-dossantos

Why would the great United fan Jassim, who has supported the club since he was a little boy, buy Liverfool?

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
is there any credible source for the 'Ratcliff preferred bidder' as its hard to take The Sun seriously? I dont see it anywhere else that has not copied from The Sun. I still get the feeling this could have been a Glazer leak to keep pressure on Jassim to give a bit more in discussions that are surely ongoing.

Edwards6

is there any credible source for the 'Ratcliff preferred bidder' as its hard to take The Sun seriously? I dont see it anywhere else that has not copied from The Sun. I still get the feeling this could have been a Glazer leak to keep pressure on Jassim to give a bit more in discussions that are surely ongoing.
Even the sun don't have it as a main headline its a tiny bit on the back page so I wouldn't take it seriously

JustinC00

Ratcliffe will put the current debt on Ineos right?

United will be debt free at that point
Nope. They are putting the debt for the money they are burrowing to pay the money sucking glazers on INEOS, Our current debt wouldn't be cleared or even paid down. They are just saying no new debt and we won't be used to pay the debt RATcliffe and INEOS are taking on but we 100% will eventually. RATcliffe and INEOS are just paying the glazers to buy a percentage of the club.

Dan_F

You're missing my point, to say that Ratcliffe shouldn't be judged on what he's done buying a midtable club is bizarre, when the other bidders also took over a midtable club in the same league and turned them into the best side in the league within about 2 seasons, and champions league finalists in under a decade.

Meanwhile Ratcliffe took over a team in a better position than 2011 psg and so far hasn't improve then at all
There’s a really good discussion to be had by people in the know about Ineos and how they’ve managed other clubs. However, PSG finished fourth the year before Qatar took over. Nice finished 7th the year before INEOS took over. Are you sure you know enough to be talking about these things?

I’m not really convinced that PSG pissing a league due to unlimited wealth is a great argument for their model. They have absolutely no one the size of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc in their league to compete. Every time they come against things in the Champions League, they crumble. There’s no reason to suggest that the same thing wouldn’t happen to them in a more competitive league.

INEOS could have thrown a shit load of money at it and finished second, I’m sure of that. They clearly didn’t want to do that and haven’t been as successful as Qatar due to that. It is a different situation at United because of the clubs already existing income and opportunity.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nope. They are putting the debt for the money they are burrowing to pay the money sucking glazers on INEOS, Our current debt wouldn't be cleared or even paid down. They are just saying no new debt and we won't be used to pay the debt RATcliffe and INEOS are taking on but we 100% will eventually. RATcliffe and INEOS are just paying the glazers to buy a percentage of the club.
FYI, anyone doing this looks like a fecking child. This isn’t PlayStation live chat

MegadrivePerson

Based on?

I'm sorry but this is a completely speculative argument!

Liverpool were put up for sale/investment before we were and Qatar weren't interested. They have a lower asking price and don't need major work on their stadium. If Qatar wanted to buy them they would have already done it!

Godfather

I'm sure the folks on Twitter with Qatar flags who have been tying themselves in knots to excuse an oppressive regime are taking this well.
The worshipping of one of the potential owners is incredibly strange. We have the choice between a - potentially but most likely - state backed bid of a state with a very questionable human rights record and a Tory that fecked off to Monaco to save some taxes and pollutes the environment. I see no reason to start supporting one or the other. All I want is the Glazers gone and someone that will look after our club as best as he can. But I won't start fangirling the person (or state!) behind it.

AlPistacho

I’m calling it now. If Ratcliffe bid gets accepted, Elliot or some other investment firm builds/renovates the stadium and training ground. Please please remember this .. because when it happens I will be reminding all those cheering Ratcliffe and ignoring all the clear red flags.

jm99

There’s a really good discussion to be had by people in the know about Ineos and how they’ve managed other clubs. However, PSG finished fourth the year before Qatar took over. Nice finished 7th the year before INEOS took over. Are you sure you know enough to be talking about these things?

I’m not really convinced that PSG pissing a league due to unlimited wealth is a great argument for their model. They have absolutely no one the size of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc in their league to compete. Every time they come against things in the Champions League, they crumble. There’s no reason to suggest that the same thing wouldn’t happen to them in a more competitive league.

INEOS could have thrown a shit load of money at it and finished second, I’m sure of that. They clearly didn’t want to do that and haven’t been as successful as Qatar due to that. It is a different situation at United because of the clubs already existing income and opportunity.
Well rather than just looking at the season before I was looking at the previous 4 seasons, where psg had finished below 10th twice and nice had been 7th, 8th 3rd and 4th. I figured rather than just going off one season which could be an outlier, looking across the 4 seasons before, which is thr same amount of time ineos have had at nice to enact changes, would be fairer

Member 101269

Imagine sacking ten Hag after finishing second in the PL on 95 points and losing the CL final.

Imagine sacking a manager because someone like Mbappé is given too much player power and doesn't fancy the manager anymore.

Imagine having a really solid team, but then forcing some unnecessary signing onto a manager because it's a big name, like Donnarumma replacing Navas, or signing a 34-year old Ramos and a 35-year old Messi, simply because they are huge names.

These are the sorts of things I expect Qatar would be doing.
There are a number of weird assumption in the post. You're basing the post on a belief that Qatar IS bidding for United, when, even now there is no evidence of that. That has been well discussed in various threads. Aside from that, PSG was and still is a solid domestic side, pre and post big names signings haven't changed a thing. Which failed, with or without big names, isn't clear. United has, historically, signed an older big name so.. Lastly, what makes you think that an owner from Qatar would replicate PSGs player strategy given you seem to think it isn't a great strategy.

HarryP

We'll also stop being like those clubs if Qatar buy Liverpool and we're permanently outside the top 4.
Not true. Bayern, Barca and Madrid have been ultra successful over the last 10-15 years without being owned by an oil state or even having an owner as rich as SJR.

City and Chelsea never had the prestige of the level of the clubs you mentioned beforehand. It’s a completely different scenario.
That's true, it wouldn't be the exact same. But I also think it'd be wishful to think that it wouldn't have a diminishing effect, at least to some degree. Are you comfortable with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.