Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm99

You would have to know two things. How much room for investment FFP allows new owners to have, I don't remember how much it is. And secondly you need to know how much room Chelsea had anyway. A silly example would be that if Chelsea were scheduled to be 200m€ under the FFP limits, they would have 200m available for investment without problems.
Right and the room we apparently have is 100m, so no reason we can't spread the payments out over a few years. It's not as if Chelsea hadn't been spending either, they spent like 250m the summer before they won the CL

cyberman

Doesn't the Reuturs article just say Qatar are negotiating FOR EXCLUSIVITY. It hasn't been granted? Basically Qatar are saying, please only talk with us and the Glazers saying no.
No? Have you read the article? There’s not a lot there to misinterpret.

tomaldinho1

Can we get to the important questions already. Do we know the length, width, height, depth and weight of the summer warchest yet?
Dark cherry wood, stained with a red liquid as yet unidentifiable which gives it a near black varnished finish. Gold studs adorn a classic European 'war chest' design and it is clearly well proportioned, sturdy yet graceful. There has been a real emphasis on drawing the viewers eyes to certain lines and motifs, not least the bejewelled '92 which juts out from it's platinum plated mount and shimmers as the light glances off what we are told are diamonds from Jassim's personal collection. This is no vanity project for the wealthy Qatari, the artwork is undeniable.

The crowd gather, all in agreement this is the finest war chest they have seen, there is immediate talk of demolishing Carrington and rebuilding it twice the size with every modern technology and buzzword known to the onlookers, OT is dust and reborn as a 200,000 seater, very few of the current squad have jobs by the end of the day, such are the dreams of the fans who grow ever more excited, turning to their phones to hastily plaster social media with 'welcome Mbappe' and 'Glazers out', ignoring the classic autocorrect which has confused window installers up and down the country since 2005.

A loud voice parts the crowd as the busty Richard Arnold pushes through, eyes bulging as he sees the great chest for the first time. He straightens his tie and pops a tic tac to hide that whisper of booze from the 1 o'clock lunch meeting, that wouldn't go down well with these new employers. When he approaches, the glistening '92 automatically rises to reveal a button beneath and as the sausage like finger of the CEO stabs at it frantically. What kind of wealth will this contain? Someone in the gathering throng behind him makes a joke that it will be in Riyals and the exchange will make a mint, most guesses at how much money the war chest contains range from £200m to the outlandish claim it will be a blank cheque. With these new owners the sky is the limit.

The lid silently lifts open on perfectly and extremely generously oiled hinges and the crowd gather, pushing to see who was right and how much gold, jewels and glory await for the summer transfer window.

'It's a piece of paper!' someone cries. Another shouts that it must be from Jassim himself. The man who said it would be a blank cheque looks smug.
'Hurry up and read it' voices clamour as Arnold unfurls the neatly folded A4, in the back of his mind he thinks it odd it seems like regular printer paper but he thinks nothing of it. He opens it and reads it aloud to the crowd.

'This was a private bid, any transfer spending will need to be preceded by player sales'

Baxquux

No its both, City have spent similar amounts to us over the last 10 years, but they had aguero, Silva toure, fernandinho,kompany zabaleta etc. All in the team already, while we needed replacements in every position. We only spent really when we finished outside the top 4, then wouldn't push on til that happened again. Look at mourinho in 2018, finish second and he gets one signing. This year, desperately need a striker in January, get fecking wout weghorst
Yeah, but with a proper DOF (and despite what various reports have you believe, players themselves have confirmed these transfers were on or were open to them during initial talks ) we could have pulled the trigger on deals for Van Dijk instead of Maguire, Kroos, Thiago, Haaland, Caicedo, for wlel under the gargantuam amounts wasted, and competed with City, as well as signing any number of ball-playing GKs to compete with De Gea or replace him (even Navas might have been better in terms of short-term build up keeper if we'd gone through with swap and cash deal with Madrid). DOF/sporting structure would have also meant more suitable managers/head coaches being brought in. Imagine, for instance, Brighton-level scouting and football but with a bigger budget for buying selected 'now' players to bolster the squad, as an example .

VanDeBank

Ma’am
When it comes to business transactions involving football clubs, I only trust Bloomberg. Hence I don't believe stories like Avram and Joel wanting to stay or Ratcliffe is winning due to his offer being better overall.

So take everything with a pinch of salt until we get something from Bloomberg or FT.
Smart man.

Bosws87

Doesn't the Reuturs article just say Qatar are negotiating FOR EXCLUSIVITY. It hasn't been granted? Basically Qatar are saying, please only talk with us and the Glazers saying no.
No because the exclusive period has basically been scrapped. They are both so far along it will basically be deal complete when it’s announced.

It’s looked obvious for a while Jim was never a real contender after all the legal stuff and lack of noise

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I thought you were telling us Ratcliffe had executed really smart business just a few days ago? Sheikh Jassim messed up you told us.
Leave him alone, if the news is correct then I hope that no one starts goading fellow supporters. We don't need to create toxicity for something that silly.

saivet

Feck it, cashing in on a few stocks in my old stocks and shares ISA and buying a few United shares.

romufc

So how did Chelsea spend 600m last season?
FFP is a joke, lets put it that way.

Chelsea spent 247m 3 summers ago
600m last season.

They have one of the biggest squads with high earners, yet they are good with FFP

Yet United, a club that spend their own money with 0 owners investment is close to breach FFP.

Big Ray

This is so done. Anyone thinking it’s not is in denial. Brexit Jim can now settle himself with life in the farmers league with Nice. :cool:

crossy1686

career ending
Or anyone else for that mattet, his claim to fame was doing an interview with Boehly last year. No one used to post anything from him before that.
I know, and he was posting exclusively about Chelsea until he did one tweet about a player United and Chelsea were in for, then he went full muppet on United after the hits he got from it.

cyberman

Rio is tier 1.

First the Ronaldo transfer and now Qatar. :lol:
A few people have got their blood up from calling Rio a muppet and everything being fake news that they’ve carried it over to questioning Reuters!

Godfather

Tbh though, they've both been negotiating for exclusivity since February. If reuters are running a story about it, it likely means its close
Sounds like they are negotiating the terms of exclusivity, which would mean they have in principle decided to go for the Qatar offer but will have to sort out details. But who knows, maybe even Reuters has started clickbaiting.

hp88

Sad day for English football as a whole if it proceeds. I just hope for your sake you’re run like City or Newcastle rather than PSG.
Wouldn't want to be run like either of them, just want someone to clear this debt off and take a back seat, stadium refurb would be nice though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Reuters won't run this without ironclad sources. My guess is Glazers don't want to rule out Brexit Jim making another offer.

BuzzKillington

why would we need to cheat?
Because we are allegedly skint, we potentially have new rich owners and have form for pissing money up the wall. The benefits of Qatari ownership are non existent if they aren’t going to throw their own money at it. Which is currently against the rules.

jm99

Yeah, but with a proper DOF (and despite what various reports have you believe, players themselves have confirmed these transfers were on or were open to them during initial talks ) we could have pulled the trigger on deals for Van Dijk instead of Maguire, Kroos, Thiago, Haaland, Caicedo, for wlel under the gargantuam amounts wasted, and competed with City, as well as signing any number of ball-playing GKs to compete with De Gea or replace him (even Navas might have been better in terms of short-term build up keeper if we'd gone through with swap and cash deal with Madrid). DOF/sporting structure would have also meant more suitable managers/head coaches being brought in. Imagine, for instance, Brighton-level scouting and football but with a bigger budget for buying selected 'now' players to bolster the squad, as an example .
I mean that is true, but other than at Liverpool, very few clubs have such a good hit rate for transfers, City buy players for 50m or 60m and if they don't fit, they get replaced. It's also far easier bringing players into a successful and settled side than trying to do wholesale rebuilds. I'd wager there's more than a few players who've been disappointing here but would have been successful at city

Hoof the ball

Where the feck did Ben Jacobs come from anyhow? He didn't even exist until this year, when he was trying to muscle in on Matt Law's Chelsea beat. Then suddenly the Steve Merchant looking jive turkey became an expert on club acquisitions.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How exactly would we cheat? Cook our books to make it look like we have the biggest revenue in the world?

Hang on a minute...
Fairness is when there is the risk to get it wrong. You operate fairly, you don't inflate sponsors, you live and suffer with bad decisions in spending and if you get it right, you reap the rewards. Bring state owned means that risk is effectively gone. Just like City can. Yeah we have huge revenues. Don't be surprised when they soar even further to inflate the books. I don't need to repeat what Mockney said, but so much of what the club is about dies the second they take over.

Infra-red

Haven’t the two bidders been negotiating for exclusivity since the whole process kicked off?
Yes. But, based on the Reuters report, I would assume that discussions have intensified somewhat and the formal exclusivity phase is under discussion with Qatar (and possibly with Ineos) as the Glazers move closer to making a decision. The stock has dropped below $25 for the first time in an hour, so it would seem people recognise they jumped the gun somewhat - this sale still looks to be in the balance.

Snafu17

I can't imagine there will be another turn so it seems very likely that SJ's bid has won. It doesn't feel great, but I do hope they'll just plaster their logo on the kit and leave us mostly alone but considering how they run PSG that seems very unlikely.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Imagine it has taken this long and we are only where we are in the process. The Glazers are not serious people.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Right and the room we apparently have is 100m, so no reason we can't spread the payments out over a few years. It's not as if Chelsea hadn't been spending either, they spent like 250m the summer before they won the CL
No that's the budget for this year. That budget essentially translates to a yearly amortization of 20m for the next 5 years.

jm99

Sounds like they are negotiating the terms of exclusivity, which would mean they have in principle decided to go for the Qatar offer but will have to sort out details. But who knows, maybe even Reuters has started clickbaiting.
Yeah, I'd say even though it doesn't say Qatar have received exclusivity, it is a big development and indicates it isn't far off

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
The journalist who wrote the Reuters story seems very well informed on M&A and regularly reports on deals much larger than this one. I'd trust him.

jm99

No that's the budget for this year. That budget essentially translates to a yearly amortization of 20m for the next 5 years.
Who did you get this from? You got some inside sources at united? Hopefully it's not the same journalists who said that Ratcliffe was about to be announced as the preferred bidder a month ago

GreatDane

Sad day for English football as a whole if it proceeds. I just hope for your sake you’re run like City or Newcastle rather than PSG.
It was a sad day when the Glazers were allowed to buy us and bury us with debt.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Where the feck did Ben Jacobs come from anyhow? He didn't even exist until this year, when he was trying to muscle in on Matt Law's Chelsea beat. Then suddenly the Steve Merchant looking jive turkey became an expert on club acquisitions.
He's a nobody. Tried to drum up Frenkie to Chelsea stuff last year and it got shot down quickly.

Keegan, Whitwell, Ornstein are the football guys who know anything here. Business wise, Reuters are the ones. There is nobody close

Zed 101

Nobody lives in a vacuum. City's treble celebrations were the most depressing, anticlimactic moment you could have imagined. It hardly registered with anyone. I'm in multiple group chats in which football is a fairly big thing and it was barely mentioned (they aren't just United fans). Because it means feck all.
I live in a house sized Dyson.... I thought it would be fun but in reality it sucks.... it sucks a lot

redcucumber

So how did Chelsea spend 600m last season?
They are fecked now, it's been discussed in the media and on here that they need to sell and that they are hamstrung by FFP because of how stupidly they spent last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.