Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaibhav Raj

There’s just so many people on here, regardless of side, who have adopted a really shitty attitude when talking to fellow fans. There’s not a single one of us who doesn’t want the best for United, but we just disagree what’s the best.
That is primarily because most of those posters treat this website like twitter where they try to stand out by making outlandish/disrespectful /tongue-in-cheek comments to garner attention. They really do love their two seconds of fame on a freaking football forum. Even at the cost of coming across as massive douchebags.

Chairman Steve

Andy Mitten: "Actual deadlines for bids matter little beyond ushering in a new round of bids. This is the auction the Glazers wanted to maximise their sale price."

"They’re ponderous decision makers at the best of times. There are decisions relating to middle-ranking members of staff that have to be approved by the Glazers. These processes have deeply frustrated previous United managers; it is not a dynamic, front-footed, business"

"Witness how long United took to establish a women’s team, to properly fund the youth system, to do even some piecemeal improvements to Old Trafford – and the Glazers have no need to rush since the price being bid keeps going up."
It makes depressing reading going through that article. It really paints them as very money focused. If we have a shit season, throw money at it. If we have a good season, tighten the pursestrings and don’t strike when the iron is hot. They had a GOAT manager to shield them from criticism for the first 8 years and now even as they’re leaving they’re slowing everything up on selling price. Its infuriating watching last year the Chelsea ownership deal getting an anti-Glazer clause for Boehly and now this year the fully leveraged club buyout route is outright banned.

Have they invested anything of significance into OT? I’m guessing the quadrants were signed off before they came in so they‘ve done absolutely feck all to it.

In terms of the day-to-day running of a football club, they are just about the worst people you can possibly get. They’re in it for the money, they don’t know football, they have no interest in building a contact network in football, they entrust people who helped their takeover with big roles like Ed Woodward running everything. Joel Glazer has been Chairman for almost 20 years and I have never seen him say the words ‘Manchester United’ once.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
That is primarily because most of those posters treat this website like twitter where they try to stand out by making outlandish/disrespectful /tongue-in-cheek comments to garner attention. They really do love their two seconds of fame on a freaking football forum. Even at the cost of coming across as massive douchebags.
I find it more fun that way tbh. Football really isn’t that serious and it’s more fun to just write the first thing that comes into your head.

JagUTD

Trying to buy a football club and having paid for season tickets vs have been given a season ticket is the same now?
Depends how big a deal you made of to former. Neither are a big deal in my opinion but for some its very serious indeed.

jm99

It makes depressing reading going through that article. It really paints them as very money focused. If we have a shit season, throw money at it. If we have a good season, tighten the pursestrings and don’t strike when the iron is hot. They had a GOAT manager to shield them from criticism for the first 8 years and now even as they’re leaving they’re slowing everything up on selling price. Its infuriating watching last year the Chelsea ownership deal getting an anti-Glazer clause for Boehly and now this year the fully leveraged club buyout route is outright banned.

Have they invested anything of significance into OT? I’m guessing the quadrants were signed off before they came in so they‘ve done absolutely feck all to it.

In terms of the day-to-day running of a football club, they are just about the worst people you can possibly get. They’re in it for the money, they don’t know football, they have no interest in building a contact network in football, they entrust people who helped their takeover with big roles like Ed Woodward running everything. Joel Glazer has been Chairman for almost 20 years and I have never seen him say the words ‘Manchester United’ once.
:eek::eek:

Revan

Assumptionman
You're wrong on point one. And he'll get exactly the same salary, if not better, when the new owners take over. Do you think Glazers behaving in a way that alienates the key person associated with restoring the club's brand is going to have no impact. The Glazers aren't immune to pressure, they're not bullet-proof; they just happen to be based across the Atlantic. But they're not controllers of financial or political power, where any of these wall street people have to tiptoe around them; all they're doing is further confirming their ineptitude and pissing both 'ordinary' fans and people who stand to capitalize from a deal going through.

EDIT: There have already been reports that investors were prepared to sue Glazers (and Ratcliffe potentially, if structure of his deal remained as is and went through) for selling shares at different prices for a partial take-over but also, potentially, for failing to complete the takeover at all (and therefore not only tanking the price but costing them the opportunity to cash out on this). Finance people can explain this better, but to think that Glazers are magically immune to 'bad press' or to being threatened with litigation when it costs other wealthy people money is itself a form of negative 'magic thinking'
Dude, he is a manager. A high ranking employee, but at the end of the day, just an employee. A replaceable one.

The value of a 6B asset does not change based on one employee. He is completely irrelevant in all this thing.

jm99

A final 'F*ck you' to the fans after all the hate and protests.
They're more likely to have one of the bidders get fed up and withdraw and lose their leverage if they don't make a decision for another two and a half months

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They're more likely to have one of the bidders get fed up and withdraw and lose their leverage if they don't make a decision for another two and a half months
Yeah I don't think they'll do that purposefully. But if they are vindictive people, which I don't know, then that would be my guess as to why they'd draw this all out. Besides, it looks like this is going on until next season anyway now, so it's not exactly a good look for them anyway in terms of how much they actually care about the coming season and the future of the club.

putzmcgee123

Trying to buy a football club and having paid for season tickets vs have been given a season ticket is the same now?
Yeah, there are some pretty stark differences between the two circumstances...I'm not sure the original poster was truly using this as some kind of "gotcha," but maybe just poking fun at the other guy.

Obviously, it is easy for us to mock Jimbo because, as you pointed out, he is actually trying to buy the club under the guise of being a boyhood United fan and making statements like, "We want a Manchester United anchored in its proud history and roots in the North West of England, putting the Manchester back into Manchester United," yet already unsuccessfully tried buying Chelsea where he was a season ticket holder. All that without mentioning the Monaco residency angle.

Baxquux

Oh, then it is 0.

To be fair, my main point is that at a time when the average time a manager spends in an EPL club is less than 2 years, it is beyond naive to think that ETH resigning would achieve anything in the selling of a 6B asset.
Dude, he is a manager. A high ranking employee, but at the end of the day, just an employee. A replaceable one.

The value of a 6B asset does not change based on one employee. He is completely irrelevant in all this thing.
He's replaceable to the Glazers. He's replaceable when the new board (hopefully) takes over. But it's about the optics. The optics to other shareholders in the context of the sale - the way the share price went up beyond what you would normally expect when the Glazers leaving was mooted. The extent to which the Glazers are (not) holding this shit together, or falling into making the same mistakes and potentially tanking the club down. On offer is a great price for everyone right now and maybe a chance to buy back in with more effective leadership. At the moment Glazers are showing signs again that you can't trust them with your money, even if you don't care about 'soccer'

Anustart89

Isn't it obvious? fecking hell.
The point you're trying to make is obvious, it's just that you're doing a pretty poor job of it.

RA: Ratcliffe's an incredibly wealthy United fan that only has a Chelsea ticket and attempted to buy Chelsea a year ago. I watch Palace the second-most after United because I got a free season ticket when I lived in London.

GOTCHA!!!!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Sorry I just noticed this and couldn't resist...

@Rhyme Animal going off because apparently SJR has a Chelsea season ticket...

Meanwhile...
Ooohh great spot, Hercule Pocco!

Thing is, I’m not a multi-billionaire who can be in Manchester, in an exec box in an hour if I want to.

I was GIVEN a season ticket (as my post says) while living in London and earning minimum wage. I didn’t pay for it.

I’ve also not tried to buy Palace using my Palace fandom as a ploy.

Ratcliffe has chosen Chelsea games over United, and given his very regular attendance at Chelsea while being able to attend any PL club in complete luxury coupled with attempting to also buy Chelsea, it seems fairly obvious that he’s a Chelsea fan - which is fine, but diminishes the ‘local Olde Jim the Utd fan’ narrative quite a bit.

Also his keeping Glazers on board is very out of step with someone who actually identifies a Utd fan. Any fan of Utd understands that they must be removed, completely, from the club.

seegoblu

Oh come on, it's 6x the net worth of the individual bidding. The money's not coming from nowhere
Consortium of a few individual billionaires could afford to buyUnited just as the same type of groups have been buying teams for billions in the EPL, NBA, NFL, etc

JagUTD

The point you're trying to make is obvious, it's just that you're doing a pretty poor job of it.

RA: Ratcliffe's an incredibly wealthy United fan that only has a Chelsea ticket and attempted to buy Chelsea a year ago. I watch Palace the second-most after United because I got a free season ticket when I lived in London.

GOTCHA!!!!
They were also his local club at the time and I believe his kids are Chelsea fans, so perhaps it was just a way to spend some time away from his no doubt busy life and with people cares about or perhaps or wasn't. Who really cares?

The way some go on about it and the fact he tried to buy Chelsea (at a time United were neither for sale or or even contemplating a sale) is also irrelevant but yet, some made it into a huge issue.

So it's just a little bit funny when it turns out one pro Qatar supporter also enjoyed watching his local club. And to be clear, as unfortunately things have to be spelt out for some posters, I see nothing wrong with it either.

Still funny though.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

And any of this is a surprise to you?

Giggs' right foot

If Qatar government give you $10 million when your visit there, just to say "I love visiting Qatar" on TV, would you accept it?
I wouldn't, no - really I'm not that driven by money and furthermore I posses a 3rd graders level of economic understanding - but I can understand the one who would. However I don't see how the question is relevant? If I answer yes, you wouldn't take my opinion seriously because it makes me a hypocrite, if I answer no - like I am - you won't believe me.

JagUTD

Thing is, I’m not a multi-billionaire who can be in Manchester, in an exec box in an hour if I want to.

I was GIVEN a season ticket (as my post says) while living in London and earning minimum wage. I didn’t pay for it.

Ratcliffe has chosen Chelsea games over United, and given his very regular attendance at Chelsea while being able to attend any PL club in complete luxury coupled with attempting to also buy Chelsea, it seems fairly obvious that he’s a Chelsea fan - which is fine, but diminishes the ‘local Olde Jim the Utd fan’ narrative quite a bit.

Also his keeping Glazers on board is very out of step with someone who actually identifies a Utd fan. Any fan of Utd understands that they must be removed, completely, from the club.
Nothing wrong with watching the local side, whether you're living it large on London NMW or a pauper like Jim.

Unless you live in Liverpool of course. Then it's very wrong.

Anustart89

They were also his local club at the time and I believe his kids are Chelsea fans, so perhaps it was just a way to spend some time away from his no doubt busy life and with people cares about or perhaps or wasn't. Who really cares?

The way some go on about it and the fact he tried to buy Chelsea (at a time United were neither for sale or or even contemplating a sale) is also irrelevant but yet, some made it into a huge issue.

So it's just a little bit funny when it turns out one pro Qatar supporter also enjoyed watching his local club. And to be clear, as unfortunately things have to be spelt out for some posters, I see nothing wrong with it either.

Still funny though.
To be honest, I don't necessarily agree with the initial point being made. With regards to SJR's fandom, I have no reason to believe that he's lying about being a United fan. I just didn't think the gotcha moment was as big as it was made out and posted my opinion on that.

Rhyme Animal

Still funny though.
Woah, woah, woah - they weren’t my local club!

That just sounds wrong. Utd will always be my ‘local club’ even though I’ve not lived in Manchester since childhood!

Even when living in London I was actually geographically closer to West Ham, Arse and Spurs than Palace (I lived in East / North London), but had a mate who somehow had 2 season tickets through his family and 1 never got used so would let me come for free.

This was in the early to mid Noughties. Great days…

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

How many Chelsea games has he attended over the last two season? How many united games? Did he purchase his ticket or was he given it also? You say he regularly attends Chelsea games so you seem to know all about it.

I'm not going down this 'top red' Road and I said I'm not judging you, but I'd never ever be going to watch another team. And yet I can accept SJR potentially being a Chelsea ST holder. So I just found it strange that somebody more open to supporting another team has more of an issue with it than me.

JagUTD

Woah, woah, woah - they weren’t my local club!

That just sounds wrong. Utd will always be my ‘local club’ even though I’ve not lived in Manchester since childhood!

Even when living in London I was actually geographically closer to West Ham, Arse and Spurs than Palace (I lived in East / North London), but had a mate who somehow had 2 season tickets through his family and 1 never got used so would let me come for free.

This was in the early to mid Noughties. Great days…
This changes things and it's now an absolute disgrace. Shame on you.

Nah, still fine. It'd even be fine if you actually gave Palace money.

Withnail

Jesus mate, he's just trying to lighten the mood.

Rhyme Animal

Nothing wrong with watching the local side, whether you're living it large on London NMW or a pauper like Jim.

Unless you live in Liverpool of course. Then it's very wrong.
If I was living in Liverpool and had access to a season ticket I’d defo go! Free live PL footy is not to be turned down.

Just stand smiling silently when they’re losing would be so sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.