g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

Confirmed by who?
They will pass the test if they can prove it’s not state funded. But if it’s not state funded, where are they getting the money? Cause Jassim certainly does not have it.
Guesswork on my part, but I'd assume that both bidders have already been given an (un)official nod from the relevant football authorities - they wouldn't have invested all of this time and effort without reassurance that, if successful, their deal will pass. The stuff in The Times will have come from Ineos/Ratcliffe, so take the "doubts about Qatar's funding" stuff with a pinch of salt.

Giggsyking

Confirmed by who?
They will pass the test if they can prove it’s not state funded. But if it’s not state funded, where are they getting the money? Cause Jassim certainly does not have it.
That has nothing to do with the test. Newcastle is owned by the PIF which is a literally a state fund.

Ahriman

Confirmed by who?
Let's be honest, it's state funded and everyone in any position of authority knows it, the FA, Premier League and Government, they're not going to do anything about it because they don't care and just want the investment.

This would of been sounded out long ago and I'd bet my sweet derriere that it'll breeze through, because no one, apart from fans or rival clubs/fans care where the money comes from. Not players, agents, the club, sponsors, Goverment etc. They just see a big fat payday.

putzmcgee123

Dead in the water
Assuming this story is even true, it seems a little odd that Jimmy is taking that approach, rather than trying to find a partner to take the remaining 31%.

If private equity firms were interested in a minority stake as was reported many times, one would think Jimmy could partner with one or more of them to buy out the Class A shares, ditch the dual-class share structure, and perhaps do something else to sweeten the deal for them.

This story makes it sound like he is set on their current offer and structure and is content to just wait it out, hoping for the best.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Takeover boom bust cycle

Boom: The Glazers are selling
Bust: They are only partially selling
Boom: Qatar are buying the club
Bust: Sir Jim is outbidding Qatar for a smaller percentage
Boom: Qatar up their bid
Bust: Glazers are dragging their heels

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The Qatar 'doubts' are fictional. That is coming from INEOS as PR. Matt Dickinson has been their mouthpiece all the way through.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
Assuming this story is even true, it seems a little odd that Jimmy is taking that approach, rather than trying to find a partner to take the remaining 31%.

If private equity firms were interested in a minority stake as was reported many times, one would think Jimmy could partner with one or more of them to buy out the Class A shares, ditch the dual-class share structure, and perhaps do something else to sweeten the deal for them.

This story makes it sound like he is set on their current offer and structure and is content to just wait it out, hoping for the best.
In Hellier's interview he did say Sir Jim was reluctant to be partnered and stick on the bid so far. I suspect Raine had some private equity firm lined up for Sir Jim and he just refused to do it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Chris Wheeler from DM will be on the Stretford Paddock today to give an interview. Doubt he'll give anything thats a breakthrough but still.

Berbaclass

Also in the times article

Even when the Glazers make clear their preferred bidder, assuming they do go ahead with a sale, the process will take more than a month to be completed, with a need for approvals from the Premier League and other regulators.

cyberman

The Qatar 'doubts' are fictional. That is coming from INEOS as PR. Matt Dickinson has been their mouthpiece all the way through.
Yep, they reported after Reuters article came out that Jim was still in the lead despite all of these legal and regulatory problems already being made public. Nothing has changed from that Times report until now yet we were still supposed to believe a bid that fails on every level was still leading the race?
Nonsense

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
exaggerated or not it’s pretty horrible stuff and a warning is fully justified

I don’t want Qatar ownership either but feck me, can you really blame fans for wanting a rich owner after the last 20 years?

a lot of people are struggling at the moment, and football is an escape from that.. if they don’t have the bandwidth to be concerned about the morality of it, so what? I don’t think it’s a big deal in the grand scheme of things
Aah... in 6 days' time, this thread will have a natural drop-off when the 1st pre-season kicks off and against Leeds no doubt.

Let's hope they win or this thread will be off the charts.

Berbaclass

Yep, they reported after Reuters article came out that Jim was still in the lead despite all of these legal and regulatory problems already being made public. Nothing has changed from that Times report until now yet we were still supposed to believe a bid that fails on every level was still leading the race?
Nonsense
They have changed their tone on Ratcliffe now. From the favourite to 'hopeful'

Sparky Rhiwabon

My name is Jimmy and you'd better not wear it out
Suicide commando that your mama talked about
King of the forty thieves and I'm here to represent
The needle in the vein of the establishment

I'm the patron saint of the denial
With an angel face and a taste for suicidal

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
In Hellier's interview he did say Sir Jim was reluctant to be partnered and stick on the bid so far. I suspect Raine had some private equity firm lined up for Sir Jim and he just refused to do it.
Good man. At least he didn't go down the path of Robert Johnson in selling his soul to the devil.

Infra-red

Raine will already have established proof of funds.
Of course (that was the first hurdle before even getting access to the data room), although proof of funds and source of funds are entirely different and both need to be established for any transaction to go ahead.

As above, though, I'd be amazed if both bidders hadn't already sought (and received) reassurances from the relevant football authorities that their deal will get through if they are successful.

JagUTD

So what's the latest? Last I heard, Jim has dropped out to have some fun down the pub.

Anything else from his interview?

Smores

exaggerated or not it’s pretty horrible stuff and a warning is fully justified

I don’t want Qatar ownership either but feck me, can you really blame fans for wanting a rich owner after the last 20 years?

a lot of people are struggling at the moment, and football is an escape from that.. if they don’t have the bandwidth to be concerned about the morality of it, so what? I don’t think it’s a big deal in the grand scheme of things
Yeah I wasn't provoking a serious discussion that's been done to death everyone knows the entrenched positions in here it was said in jest and quite obviously so to demonstrate strong opposition to ownership.

I don't think the poster was telling me to actually go get spit roasted by the glazers either so i'd hope they avoided a warning.

Anyway I'll remember this is a very serious only thread from now on :wenger:

strandty

So what's the latest? Last I heard, Jim has dropped out to have some fun down the pub.

Anything else from his interview?
The Athletic reckon INEOS won't have any issue borrowing more money to add to their $16bn debt to buy us

greenoffpearson

Why the go (all) around the houses approach to the sale?

Why not say this price is XYZ and that is it?

Raine, technically act on behalf of the club, but clearly under the instructions of the Glazers.

They have deployed an assortment of techniques to create an auction.

I would have assumed that with these blue-chip outfits things would be more sophisticated and less crude when negotiations took place, obviously I know nothing.

They have used the silent treatment to create uncertainty and to unnerve the bidders. Jassim having to reach out to the Glazers directly.

They have cultivated an atmosphere where no party fully knows where they stand. There is, I imagine, a playbook for such things.

Sir Jim's, nuanced Glazer retention offer, would have required more communication with Raine and their lawyers because you would need to draft out some sort of working arrangement to ensure it worked for all parties otherwise why bother.

That necessary communication was then being portrayed as significant progress with one party making the other feel that they were being overlooked/losing. Raine simply didn't bother to communicate much to Jassim.

Raine recognised that both main bidders were in the process for the long haul and have effectively played each party off the other.

Neither Sir Jim's and Jassim’s teams are stupid but their instructions are to purchase the club and that creates its own pressure, even where you try and remove emotion from the process.

The more recent drip feed of information seems to suggest that Sir Jim's team have recognised a shift in the nature and quality of communications between their team and Raine indicating that something unusual is taking place and perhaps Sir Jim's is now coming to the conclusion that he is being edged out?

What surprises me, a veteran of failed low level negotiations - car boot level, why have Raine not been more direct and just said to each party we are looking for this and your bid is here and theirs is there, however, whoever gets to XYZ, or above, will win otherwise don't bother.

Did they really need to make the process this mysterious? Were the bidders so switched on to the exact minimum figures required that the only way to make them jump was to create an aura of uncertainty.

I think the tortured strategy was used because the Glazer's need to sell. They could not afford to lose leverage. They did not want to lose any serious contender and had to keep them in the process but knowing when to prod or not.

Raine could never declare that it is this price or bust because they were always looking to sell. If they said it can only be sold at XYZ then we would have finished this process long ago? So why have Glazer’s not withdrawn – because they want to sell.

JagUTD

Yeah I wasn't provoking a serious discussion that's been done to death everyone knows the entrenched positions in here it was said in jest and quite obviously so to demonstrate strong opposition to ownership.

I don't think the poster was telling me to actually go get spit roasted by the glazers either so i'd hope they avoided a warning.

Anyway I'll remember this is a very serious only thread from now on :wenger:
Come on mate. Pick a trench and dig in. There's no time for fun here.

JagUTD

The Athletic reckon INEOS won't have any issue borrowing more money to add to their $16bn debt to buy us
Always thought that would be the case tbh. United are about as safe an investment you can get and Ineos aren't likely to find themselves in financial difficulties anytime soon.

cyberman

Always thought that would be the case tbh. United are about as safe an investment you can get and Ineos aren't likely to find themselves in financial difficulties anytime soon.
Anybody rich enough can borrow? It’s the rates that the problem

dacore

Razzia against Nasser al-Khelaifis home..
Something about a video with him and the Emir of Qatar and getting World Cup 2022.

Could this:

A. Have no impact on this (since it´s not state backed...)
B. Glazers pull out
C. Glazers hurry and do the deal before shit hits the fan

?

Brophs

The One and Only
Jim and the lads are probably hashing it out over a few cans of Red Stripe as we speak. Eggsy thinks he should walk away, but Fart Vader and Roger the Fanny Dodger think he has to go all in on it now. The Spaniard was in family Court again and tried to Zoom call into the meeting but there was something wrong with his mic and everyone could see his background which was a load of naked Thai women, so he didn’t get to have his say.

redshaw

Why the go (all) around the houses approach to the sale?

Why not say this price is XYZ and that is it?

Raine, technically act on behalf of the club, but clearly under the instructions of the Glazers.

They have deployed an assortment of techniques to create an auction.

I would have assumed that with these blue-chip outfits things would be more sophisticated and less crude when negotiations took place, obviously I know nothing.

They have used the silent treatment to create uncertainty and to unnerve the bidders. Jassim having to reach out to the Glazers directly.

They have cultivated an atmosphere where no party fully knows where they stand. There is, I imagine, a playbook for such things.

Sir Jim's, nuanced Glazer retention offer, would have required more communication with Raine and their lawyers because you would need to draft out some sort of working arrangement to ensure it worked for all parties otherwise why bother.

That necessary communication was then being portrayed as significant progress with one party making the other feel that they were being overlooked/losing. Raine simply didn't bother to communicate much to Jassim.

Raine recognised that both main bidders were in the process for the long haul and have effectively played each party off the other.

Neither Sir Jim's and Jassim’s teams are stupid but their instructions are to purchase the club and that creates its own pressure, even where you try and remove emotion from the process.

The more recent drip feed of information seems to suggest that Sir Jim's team have recognised a shift in the nature and quality of communications between their team and Raine indicating that something unusual is taking place and perhaps Sir Jim's is now coming to the conclusion that he is being edged out?

What surprises me, a veteran of failed low level negotiations - car boot level, why have Raine not been more direct and just said to each party we are looking for this and your bid is here and theirs is there, however, whoever gets to XYZ, or above, will win otherwise don't bother.

Did they really need to make the process this mysterious? Were the bidders so switched on to the exact minimum figures required that the only way to make them jump was to create an aura of uncertainty.

I think the tortured strategy was used because the Glazer's need to sell. They could not afford to lose leverage. They did not want to lose any serious contender and had to keep them in the process but knowing when to prod or not.

Raine could never declare that it is this price or bust because they were always looking to sell. If they said it can only be sold at XYZ then we would have finished this process long ago? So why have Glazer’s not withdrawn – because they want to sell.
Simply the Glazers value it at £6bn or $7.5bn and the two bids have come up short if the ~5bn figure is true. They will try everything to extract the highest bid from each and decide together whether it's enough. Jassim probably confident they will sell eventually once every tactic is done. I think Glazers still want Ratcliffe to come in with another so Qatar have to go again. Both bids are trying to get the club at a reasonable value as there's a lot to fix and clear but the Glazers see it as a rare opportunity and have a high future value in mind. $6-7bn is what they want but might have to settle for less once everything is exhausted.

cyberman

I mean from a general sense. Whether he wanted additional funding or not, he wouldn't have had any issue getting it and at favourable rates due to the low risks involved.
Where does it say he’s getting favourable rates?
The only reason Glazers are selling is because they couldn’t get the rates they wanted
Edit can’t see why he wouldn’t take favourable rates (if real) since even the fluff piece in the Athletic says Qatar will probably win

Zen86

Simply the Glazers value it at £6bn or $7.5bn and the two bids have come up short if the ~5bn figure is true. They will try everything to extract the highest bid from each and decide together whether it's enough. Jassim probably confident they will sell eventually once every tactic is done. I think Glazers still want Ratcliffe to come in with another so Qatar have to go again. Both bids are trying to get the club at a reasonable value as there's a lot to fix and clear but the Glazers see it as a rare opportunity and have a high future value in mind. $6-7bn is what they want but might have to settle for less once everything is exhausted.
I'm guessing the Glazers are still trying to maintain the illusion of strength during this process in that selling the club is optional, it's not something they need to do. Manchester United is a global brand with all the revenues and fanbase etc. Personally I think it's the opposite, they have no choice but to sell as the club is struggling and the situation is worsening over time. The bidders probably believe the same, hence the obfuscation and standoff.

Spoony

The People's President
The Times is Radcliffe's mouthpiece, is that a Tory thing? The Express have whored themselves to Jassy. I wouldn't trust any newspaper, Financial Times aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.