Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

GoldanoGraham

Think people reading too much into Joel being on 3 man committee…..of course there would be a Glazer, as significant and majority shareholder, no business in their right mind would allow minority shareholders carte Blanche over all sporting matters and spend without having an approval sign off, if for sense checking purposes only.

Whatever you think of Glazers - they are not stupid. They are not going to allow some newbies the possibility to cause financial or sporting chaos to their cash cow.

I doubt very much that the structure would be that Ineos guys are waiting all the time for approval from Joel - rather that there is an agreed structure and strategy to what they are doing/planning on doing and some fiscal planning within that.

I think that it is quite normal and as long as there is full agreement on how it will work then it’s got to be a start or improvement on where we currently are.

RedUnited86

I'm feeling a bit better now having read up on Brailsford. Our gegenpress is going to make Liverpool's look like child play once he gets his system going.
Can you post what you've read please? My knowledge of him extends to him being a drug cheat in cycling that was never convicted.

justsomebloke

Think people reading too much into Joel being on 3 man committee…..of course there would be a Glazer, as significant and majority shareholder, no business in their right mind would allow minority shareholders carte Blanche over all sporting matters and spend without having an approval sign off, if for sense checking purposes only.

Whatever you think of Glazers - they are not stupid. They are not going to allow some newbies the possibility to cause financial or sporting chaos to their cash cow.

I doubt very much that the structure would be that Ineos guys are waiting all the time for approval from Joel - rather that there is an agreed structure and strategy to what they are doing/planning on doing and some fiscal planning within that.

I think that it is quite normal and as long as there is full agreement on how it will work then it’s got to be a start or improvement on where we currently are.
Dude. If you form a three-man committee to run things, you don't have full agreement on how anything will work. If you did, you'd appoint someone to run it. You also don't do that for oversight - you already have the board for that. This is not a management structure, it's a power-sharing arrangement. And those you create because there is neither the agreement or the trust to run things in a more rational way.

Also, it contradicts the whole basis of the deal that has emerged over the past week. The core element of that was for the Glazers to cede control over the sporting side, with an understanding that there would a gradual phasing-out of majority ownership. If this committee idea is true, it shows clearly that the Glazers are not prepared to cede sporting control. If so, that is a potentially fundamental development.

Last edited:

Castia

I remember when the Glazers took over. Same vibes with this ‘takeover’

Farce that the club will have to live with for the next 20+ years.

FrenchRed

Brailsford?! As someone who used to follow cycling, this is crazy. Totally against.

What a complete utter mess this club is.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
The slight difference here is that the 25% is a stepping stone, initiated by the Glazers themselves, towards a potential full takeover by Ratcliffe, it's hardly comparable to your example. It's always going to be a process where whoever comes in is going to require, and get, more and more control. There's obviously going to be some kinks, especially depending on the timeline, and neither Ratcliffe or Glazers will accept a situation where the other one can completely destroy the values, doesn't mean it's not overall positive.
How do you preempt Glazers will accept what Ineos will offer in the future to buy the full control from them? Maybe after 4yrs glazers will agree to sell only 10% again.

But the fact remains,
if Glazers want to buy 25% of Ineos, even with future promise to buy 100%, they will not be given Full Control of Ineos chemical business.

All current noise is soundbites to contain the volatile fan base. Glazers will maintain supreme control over the club

stevoc

the point you’re missing is this:you dont know the details, you can hardly imagine the dynamics between major stakeholders. You assume a lot of things and consider them postive.

imho the most likely outcome is that the Glazers take Jim’s money, hope the club increases in value/ cashflows improve and they will kick Jim out

You are doing the same thing only in the negative.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Have you not seen the quote about ineos "hoping" this 25% leads to a complete takeover :houllier:
Seen that word creeping into more and more articles, "hoping"...?!?!
I have a deep sinking feeling that this is all getting worse....:(

GoldanoGraham

Dude. If you form a three-man committee to run things, you don't have full agreement on how anything will work. If you did, you'd appoint someone to run it. You also don't do that for oversight - you already have the board for that. This is not a management structure, it's a power-sharing arrangement. And those you create because there is neither the agreement or the trust to run things in a more rational way.
With the best will in the world no ownership of 70%+ is going to allow a minority to make wide ranging sporting decisions without agreement. Especially as they’ve never worked with them before. The idea is probably to enable quicker actions as previously the process has been slow and cumbersome on all sporting and financial decisions/issues and board meetings are only monthly at best so it’s got be a better position than currently.

Also - no way will Ineos be pumping in this money if they think they have to go cap in hand everytime to Joel.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Most important question is when we are going to get rid of Glazers?
The ship already sailed. Ineos have given Glazers a very huge lifeline. You can even see, the discussion is no longer about when Glazers will leave.

Glazers now have a insulation, a bullet proof vest in form of Ineos.

Brophs

The One and Only
Brailsford is a symptom of one of my main issues with Ratcliffe and guys like him. They genuinely believe that guys like Brailsford have an expertise and insight that can transcend individual sports. There’s no world in which a guy like him should be anywhere near recruitment at a professional football club, much less one of our size. Even if you ignore - and I don’t - the obvious doping issues at Team Sky, the best case scenario is that he’d be on the high performance side of things.

I’m assuming he’ll adopt more of an overseeing sort of role, but there’s next to nothing a guy like him can add on the purely footballing side. If he’s given any genuine power in terms of the nuts and bolts on the football side of things then more fool us.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Most important question is when we are going to get rid of Glazers?
Their regime has been propped up by minority investment, this is exactly what they have been looking for.
Personally, I think that they are now secure here for another 20 years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
With Brailsford I’m finally confident that we will get our doping game up to the same level as Liverpool and Man City which will be a big step in the right direction.

littlepeasoup

For a club that was/is crying out for a very clear structured way of going forward this messy half-way house bullshit isn't going to help at all. The Glazers in their entirety have shown themselves completely inept at running the football part of a football club.

I don't doubt for a second that it'll make all parties involved incredibly wealthy (the greedy cnuts) but in terms of fixing the myriad of problems at United, I fear it's just going to make things worse.

bludsucker

I think you let your imagination run a bit too wild there son
Well at least i know i am imagining it. Rather that than believe the guff that Ratcliffe’s PR machine is serving out as gospel truth. Don’t tell me you also believe in the tooth fairy and santa claus.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd heard of Sir Dave Brailsford from Atomic Habits, he was credited with revolutionizing British cycling with his marginal gains philosophy. Excited about him, to be honest.
Well, that's one perspective of what he did at Team Sky.

The other involves some pretty clear doping issues overseen by the man nicknamed "Teflon Dave".

Mainoldo

It’s another restructure and with that will bring change. Let’s just hope it works.

Why people thought even with a hand on the footballing side the people that own the majority of the club wouldn’t want to oversea it I don’t know.

All I know it will be a lot better than Glazers and Woodward's Bristol University.

Mainoldo

Well, that's one perspective of what he did at Team Sky.

The other involves some pretty clear doping issues overseen by the man nicknamed "Teflon Dave".
Well considering we’ve been the slowest team in the league for years. Maybe we will finally be on a level playing field. Man City have midfielders who are 5’6” strong af and lungs like Micheal Phelps.

Fr. Todd Unctious

With Brailsford I’m finally confident that we will get our doping game up to the same level as Liverpool and Man City which will be a big step in the right direction.

:lol:

Truly amazing to see so many lads just gloss over the stuff about Brailsford. Same lads wouldn't be doing so if he was being linked a role at the likes of Newcastle etc..

justsomebloke

With the best will in the world no ownership of 70%+ is going to allow a minority to make wide ranging sporting decisions without agreement. Especially as they’ve never worked with them before. The idea is probably to enable quicker actions as previously the process has been slow and cumbersome on all sporting and financial decisions/issues and board meetings are only monthly at best so it’s got be a better position than currently.

Also - no way will Ineos be pumping in this money if they think they have to go cap in hand everytime to Joel.
Kool-aid and unwarranted optimistic assumptions. If the bolded sentence is true, then the whole basis for the deal as originally described falls away. The board doesn't take running football decisions above management level, the Glazer brothers do. The board provides oversight, and accountability for decisionmakers. If the concern was to keep INEOS ultimately accountable to the majority shareholders, then that's exactly what the board does.

A 3-man committee does not constitute a better position - it just introduces an additional layer of decision-making, and one that clearly expresses - and will inevitably be shaped by - an absence of trust and common direction. It is not remotely realistic to view this as representing any form of possible improvement.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
the point you’re missing is this:you dont know the details, you can hardly imagine the dynamics between major stakeholders. You assume a lot of things and consider them postive.

imho the most likely outcome is that the Glazers take Jim’s money, hope the club increases in value/ cashflows improve and they will kick Jim out
Good one.

How do you preempt Glazers will accept what Ineos will offer in the future to buy the full control from them? Maybe after 4yrs glazers will agree to sell only 10% again.

But the fact remains,
if Glazers want to buy 25% of Ineos, even with future promise to buy 100%, they will not be given Full Control of Ineos chemical business.

All current noise is soundbites to contain the volatile fan base. Glazers will maintain supreme control over the club
Why would Ratcliffe pay such an obscene fee for 25% of the club without an agreement on a path forward for a full takeover?

Again, your fact is completely meaningless as it doesn't account for the more obvious fact, that the Glazers are slowly heading out the exit door. Comparing it with a normal shareholder situation is beyond daft.

bludsucker

Remember arsenal under the 2 owners.
This exactly. Both the owners will be hesitant to invest lest the other profit from it. And we will be in limbo until one of them fecks off all the while hoping that the one who stays is better than the other. Welcome to another decade of mediocrity.

NK86

How are they going to do that? :lol:
Now saying it will happen, but aren’t Board members kicked out all the time? He won’t lose his shares but could well lose his Board representation depending on how much voting power he gets out of this deal.

MDFC Manager

So... We're not going to win the moral victory trophy with Jim either?

buchansleftleg

Also just google Dr Richard Freeman and his GMC tribunal....to lose one laptop containing medical records is unfortunate...but three? and admitting that you destroyed one with a hammer because...reasons!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Whatever happens, it will be better than it currently is. I think the last 12-18 months have probably been the toughest for the club in many peoples' living memory. Full Glazer ownership with non-commitments to focus on the football side of the club/inactivity in spending due to too many financial unknowns and restrictions. Ratcliffe coming in will at least - on paper - alleviate these concerns. Then throw in the scandals and noise around Ronaldo, Antony, Greenwood, Maguie, etc and you realize it's pretty fecking incredible what ETH has achieved in the last year, poor start to the season/seemingly questionable transfer decision this summer aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.