Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Glazers are not attending the funeral? Not even one of the major two tits? That's disgraceful. New low.
I would imagine that it was Charlton’s wish not to have any of them attend.

19Dan81

Quite stunning that the pro INEOS PR campaign has rendered the younger generation of fans into an acceptance of mediocrity where they literally cannot wait to start developing young, unproven talent to sell on for a profit. They've sold the Brighton way as the ideal for a football club. We're not Brighton or OGC Nice, we're the biggest club in the world that has nothing to offer other than a platform for failure and a large salary for the privilege.

You need to show ambition to the best players to build a squad capable of winning the best trophies. Without senior, world class players you're not getting great potential youngsters to join and those youngsters won't learn to play at a big club without them. The second we start offloading our biggest earners for unproven kids will be the beginning of the end. It'll definitely make the club more money though and more "sustainable" which Ratcliffe loves to do when he acquires a new asset.

If you're a top player now you're not picking Utd over the others and that's the biggest crime of all. We've only been able to compete due to what we pay in wages and if you stop doing that to instead force kids from other leagues to play at Old Trafford and learn how to win then I'm afraid the future is grim.

I don't see ambition at all with this minority investment. All I'm reading is how this new sporting structure is going to focus on cutting costs. This could be our last Champions League expedition for some time if this is our future. I of course hope not and it is indeed a partnership with Ratcliffe with ambition but it doesn't sound like.

Loon

:lol:
I would imagine that it was Charlton’s wish not to have any of them attend.
I would like to think that is the only acceptable reason, but there has been no mention of discontent between Sir Bobby and that lot.

Pes6Monster

I would like to think that is the only acceptable reason, but there has been no mention of discontent between Sir Bobby and that lot.
Bob, who was a lifelong tory, supported the Glazers when they took over the club, sat on their board and was honoured at OT with a stand being named after him during their tenure.

I'd imagine no Glazer is attending to stop the funeral from becoming a protest.

Always thought it was disappointing he never spoke up or out, but each to their own, or somesuch.

Pickle85

There's been lots of polls. Depends what you put value in. The athletic polls were overwhelmingly in favor of him not returning, same with United we stand polls. Polls open to the masses of twitter fans were like 60/40 in favor of him returning, but those are just open up everybody
Ah thanks for that. Glad to hear it's not as clear cut as that poster implied

Loon

Bob, who was a lifelong tory, supported the Glazers when they took over the club, sat on their board and was honoured at OT with a stand being named after him during their tenure.

I'd imagine no Glazer is attending to stop the funeral from becoming a protest.

Always thought it was disappointing he never spoke up or out, but each to their own, or somesuch.
I would honestly like to think no United fan would use Sir Bobby's funeral as a platform for protest. The day is about a man and his family who gave so much to our club.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

Quite stunning that the pro INEOS PR campaign has rendered the younger generation of fans into an acceptance of mediocrity where they literally cannot wait to start developing young, unproven talent to sell on for a profit. They've sold the Brighton way as the ideal for a football club. We're not Brighton or OGC Nice, we're the biggest club in the world that has nothing to offer other than a platform for failure and a large salary for the privilege.

You need to show ambition to the best players to build a squad capable of winning the best trophies. Without senior, world class players you're not getting great potential youngsters to join and those youngsters won't learn to play at a big club without them. The second we start offloading our biggest earners for unproven kids will be the beginning of the end. It'll definitely make the club more money though and more "sustainable" which Ratcliffe loves to do when he acquires a new asset.

If you're a top player now you're not picking Utd over the others and that's the biggest crime of all. We've only been able to compete due to what we pay in wages and if you stop doing that to instead force kids from other leagues to play at Old Trafford and learn how to win then I'm afraid the future is grim.

I don't see ambition at all with this minority investment. All I'm reading is how this new sporting structure is going to focus on cutting costs. This could be our last Champions League expedition for some time if this is our future. I of course hope not and it is indeed a partnership with Ratcliffe with ambition but it doesn't sound like.
No one wants or is waiting for Ineos to come in and make United become a new Ajax/Brighton/Dortmund type of club that buys to sell for profit later. I don't know where you met such fans, I don't think they exist.

Baxquux

Who's looking after facilities and maintenance?
Exactly - also, what about when 'commercial' requirements' are adjudged, quite reasonably, to interfere with (sporting related) pre-season fitness and tactical preparations. ..

cyberman

Isn’t that his paper and news roundup he does for American tv rather than reporting his joke exclusives?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I would honestly like to think no United fan would use Sir Bobby's funeral as a platform for protest. The day is about a man and his family who gave so much to our club.
You'd think that an Englishman wouldn't protest at a memorial commerating military dead whilst proudly showing a Nazi swastika tattoo, but it happened yesterday, there are complete idiots and morons everywhere and some of them will be United fans

Loon

You'd think that an Englishman wouldn't protest at a memorial commerating military dead whilst proudly showing a Nazi swastika tattoo, but it happened yesterday, there are complete idiots and morons everywhere and some of them will be United fans
Fair point, well made.

Chairman Steve

It will be interesting to see if the atmosphere around the club changes if this goes through.
Hopefully itll be a kick up the ass some of the allegedly lazier players need, and no doubt all of them will be keen to impress. I get the feeling that’s what happened with Newcastle when they got their new owners. You get the likes of Burn, Longstaff, Almiron and Schar performing much better than their expected levels.

Hopefully itll be a kick up the ass some of the allegedly lazier players need, and no doubt all of them will be keen to impress. I get the feeling that’s what happened with Newcastle when they got their new owners. You get the likes of Burn, Longstaff, Almiron and Schar performing much better than their expected levels.
Exactly, that’s what I’m hoping to see!

spwd

And hopefully if they don't we'll get rid immediately not in ten years!

Spoony

The People's President
£300m set aside for renovation. Surely that's more than enough? We're not going to pay full cash upfront, are we?

Marcelinho87

The Glazers are not attending the funeral? Not even one of the major two tits? That's disgraceful. New low.
let’s be real here.

The Glazers, Sir Bobby, Sir Alex etc all got along most likely they have had ample time/opportunity to speak against them.

Them not turning up is for the best, why risk idiots protesting at the great man’s funeral?

I have to say them staying out of this one is a good call.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't get how this helps. We would still be in some sort of Glazer, pay the debt off, limbo hell right?
It's a big help. It's not ideal. But it's a much bigger improvement.

United can be successful despite the dividends and the debt. That has never been helpful, but it's never been in doubt either. The reason for on the pitch failure has been year after year of a shit footballing structure, wrong hires, bad recruitment, and the people in charge of the sporting direction not knowing what to do and nobody trying to fix the situation properly. If that situation is changing, then that is a massive positive.

It's also a path to full eventual ownership, which will still be needed and hopefully come. But it's a start to start improving our structure, squad, appointments and start matching our on the pitch play to our spend in wages and transfer fees.

Marcelinho87

People are ignoring that, essentially due to Ratcliffe’s PR front at this point.
nobody is ignoring it, what other option do we have but to get behind Ratcliffe?
Full sporting control is the start of what we can hope is a positive future, the glazers have never been bad commercially so them sticking to that until full control is good enough for now.

Loon

I don't get how this helps. We would still be in some sort of Glazer, pay the debt off, limbo hell right?
I remember ages ago it was said INEOS would assume the debt and it would no longer be United's. If Ratcliffe intends to pump, as rumoured, a further £2b to upgrade the stadium et al, it would seem the debt will become a secondary consideration (for United at least).

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
nobody is ignoring it, what other option do we have but to get behind Ratcliffe?
Full sporting control is the start of what we can hope is a positive future, the glazers have never been bad commercially so them sticking to that until full control is good enough for now.
My point is that everything at this point is spin. Nothing is confirmed, nothing has even been pledged publicly by Ratcliffe and yet everything in the media is positive about him - that’s spin.

People have wasted hours declaring why Ratcliffe ‘controlling the sporting side’ is a good thing, yet, we don’t even know that he will do - let alone that he’ll succeed at it.

All we know, for sure, is that the Glazers will still own Man Utd, and that fact is what many are wilfully ignoring.

Using words like ‘sale’ or ‘takeover’ is completely daft. There is no sale, there is no takeover.

How the whole thing plays out we will have to see. But with the Glazers remaining as majority owners of Man Utd, I think it’s highly understandable why some long term fans are very reluctant to celebrate any such deal.

Coops73

let’s be real here.

The Glazers, Sir Bobby, Sir Alex etc all got along most likely they have had ample time/opportunity to speak against them.

Them not turning up is for the best, why risk idiots protesting at the great man’s funeral?

I have to say them staying out of this one is a good call.
I was being sarcastic, cnuts don’t deserve to be in England let alone at sir Bobby Charltons funeral

MarylandMUFan

My point is that everything at this point is spin. Nothing is confirmed, nothing has been achieved and yet everything in the media is positive about Ratcliffe - that’s spin.

People have wasted hours declaring why Ratcliffe ‘controlling the sporting side’ is a good thing, yet, we don’t even know that he will.

All we know, for sure, is that the Glazers will still own Man Utd, and that fact is what many are wilfully ignoring.

Using words like ‘sale’ or ‘takeover’ is completely daft. There is no sale, there is no takeover.

How the whole thing plays out we will have to see. But with the Glazers remaining as majority owners of Man Utd, I think it’s highly understandable why some long term fans are very reluctant to celebrate any such deal.
That's pretty much where I am at. While it's better that Oil State ownership (which would have caused me to bail on United after 40 years of support), still being in Glazer limbo is not ideal.

Seven Seas Sardines

Shaw, Malacia and new management bounce after the break please!

Baxquux

That's pretty much where I am at. While it's better that Oil State ownership (which would have caused me to bail on United after 40 years of support), still being in Glazer limbo is not ideal.
Yet to see anyone give a coherent take as to why being owned by extractive financiers is better than being owned by a private individual affiliated with Qatar state (note, it isn't the state itself - that's literally prohibited under FA rules). The connection works in the same way, at worst, as with the Glazers, whereby they are are enmeshed with US politics in terms of their political donations (and , when necessary, boosting the worst people in politics in terms of social discrimination as well as de facto social murder, just because it boosts their bottom line) and influence over policy and being given favourable lending conditions through influence leveraging and the rest. Not meant to be personal, but the general trend does lean towards/suggest a certain xenophobia as well as thinking (around categories of ownership; around politics; around ethics) being farmed out to the media rather than reading around the subject, whether that media is the usual redtops or the more clickbaity stuff produced by ostensibly 'serious' football publications like The Athletic.

The Glazers are bad owners, who are indifferent or actively contemptuous towards fans., don't have any affiliations in terms of being longstanding fans or embedded within the community (like, say, a Steve Gibson type) and are using the club mainly as a piggybank, a thing to secure lines of credit against as well as - crucially a 'reputational booster' in the business world. There's nothing a Qatar enterprise would do to 'unfairly' legitimate itself that these parasites haven't already committed the equivalent of.

Status
Not open for further replies.