Cody Gakpo: Finish The Story

DennisReynolds

He's awful. No pace, no strength (even given his stature) and worst of all he has no fight in him.

Liverpool tried him as a false number 9 but it didn't work, now he's just a no impact sub.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Too big and too slow for anything. Sure he has a nice shot when he has about 6 yards of space free around him though

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's just in bad form. When he was playing well he was over performing and now he's playing badly he's underperforming. Just a bang average winger/forward but he's not a bad one.

From what I've seen of Gakpo he looks like an ideal replacement for Firmino. He might even be an upgrade.

I said at the time in January that not signing him and going for Weghorst was the difference between mounting a title challenge and being in a race for top four.
Just how good was this astonishingly average player during preseason? :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's just in bad form. When he was playing well he was over performing and now he's playing badly he's underperforming. Just a bang average winger/forward but he's not a bad one.
Bang average, yeah. Just weird rereading this thread and seeing all the gushing Liverpool and our own fans(!) going on about how great he is

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s atrocious. Something about Dutch players. Reminds me of Memphis

Hes just very average, another World Cup star who turned out not to be all that. Has an air of Memphis Depay about him and funnily enough sounds like they're friends.

Who was he supposed to replace again? Mane? :lol:

romufc

I am so glad we didn't sign him. I have seen Mark Goldbridge lose his shit when he scores a goal saying we should have signed him.

He is an average footballer really.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Another howler from the famed Laptop Transfer Gurus but, you’ve guessed it, will be miraculously scrubbed from existence by the Scouse-loving press and pundits.

ShinjiNinja26

Bang average player. Always has been. Dodged a bullet here, it’s hilarious thinking back to when they signed him and how all their fans were gloating how they beat us to his signature. You’re welcome to him lads. :lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thoughts now?

Short attention spanners or just outrageous knee jerk pre season thread title change :confused:
A little knee jerk. Endo, Robertson, Nunez, Mac Alister, Salah all had bad games. But Gakpo is not a starter that's for sure. Not sure we'll get a 5th choice better that will be happy to just sit on the bench.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure he'll be here past this summer...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure he'll be here past this summer...
You reckon Alonso will promote Danns to his position instead? I would. Get some money for him and bring in Wirtz as we ease Salah out season after next.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s funny seeing Liverpool fans slag him off when they was boasting about him joining them over us after he scored 2 past us. Absolute weapons

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
A little knee jerk. Endo, Robertson, Nunez, Mac Alister, Salah all had bad games. But Gakpo is not a starter that's for sure. Not sure we'll get a 5th choice better that will be happy to just sit on the bench.
He wasn't signed as 5th choice though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This real deal business happened when he scored against us right? He’s just bang average. Makes up the numbers.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Unless he is willing to join a Saudi club they are stuck with him due to his large wages.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I genuinely don't get why they signed him

Stadjer

Gakpo isnt bad but not Premier League superstar material. He is no Salah but still a usefull player to have on the bench for a team that is competing for multiple big titles. He is good enough to play in the Premier League, just not good enough to be a star. He is fairly quick, quite strong, quite smart and can hit a ball actually quite good. He just isnt elite at anything really. Usefull player to have in the squad but your club isnt going to win big titles with Gakpo as one of your star forwards.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's his mental game that's lacking. he doesn't get himself involved enough, not direct or aggressive enough.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Gakpo isnt bad but not Premier League superstar material. He is no Salah but still a usefull player to have on the bench for a team that is competing for multiple big titles. He is good enough to play in the Premier League, just not good enough to be a star. He is fairly quick, quite strong, quite smart and can hit a ball actually quite good. He just isnt elite at anything really. Usefull player to have in the squad but your club isnt going to win big titles with Gakpo as one of your star forwards.
Yup, perfectly fine as a fifth option for a top team.

Liverpool's problem is that Salah is almost 32 and his body is starting to let him down a bit, Nunez plays like a madman which is hard to do twice a week constantly, and then Diaz and Jota both have had a lot of trouble staying healthy. So Gakpo is rarely actually the fifth option and usually either 3rd or 4th option on any given week. Among that group he is 3rd in total minutes played across all comps.