Cody Gakpo: Finish The Story

troylocker

Liverpool's Antony. Just doesn't have the elite level in him. Will look great again when he's back at PSV in a few years.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool's Antony. Just doesn't have the elite level in him. Will look great again when he's back at Ajax in a few years.
Gakpo is on 13 goals and four assists this season. Antony is on 2 and 1.

Gakpo hasn't been great recently but lets not get carried away.

SoCross

You reckon Alonso will promote Danns to his position instead? I would. Get some money for him and bring in Wirtz as we ease Salah out season after next.
Oh damn, the Alonso-Wirtz connection didn’t occur to me before :(

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
A little knee jerk. Endo, Robertson, Nunez, Mac Alister, Salah all had bad games. But Gakpo is not a starter that's for sure. Not sure we'll get a 5th choice better that will be happy to just sit on the bench.
Our 'best' 3 are Diaz, Gakpo, Salah.

Jota is very unlucky to just miss out as he is a goal machine too. Lastly we have Nunez as our Origi second super sub.
? ;)

Ludens the Red

Ok player and to be fair he wasn’t particularly expensive. Absolutely nothing special though and by far the weakest in Liverpool’s front line. Glad we didn’t get him and as impotent as Hoijlund was in the first half of the season he looks a lot better prospect than Gakpo playing in a far weaker team. Gakpo is also further proof that ETH should just stay well clear of transfers :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Liverpool's Antony. Just doesn't have the elite level in him. Will look great again when he's back at Ajax in a few years.
Na think that’s unfair. He’s probably the best Dutch attacker in the world at the moment.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Watched the game back last night and he wasn't that shite. Liverpool fans seem to be throwing him under the bus for messing up the 5v2 but think Elliott as much to blame who was also responsible for losing the ball for the winner. Clearly doesn't play with the intensity of the other forwards though.

Think we need a Gakpo type to cover all the forward positions, particularly for Hojlund, but again someone who can play with the required intensity and work like feck.

Mike Smalling

Watched the game back last night and he wasn't that shite. Liverpool fans seem to be throwing him under the bus for messing up the 5v2 but think Elliott as much to blame who was also responsible for losing the ball for the winner. Clearly doesn't play with the intensity of the other forwards though.

Think we need a Gakpo type to cover all the forward positions, particularly for Hojlund, but again someone who can play with the required intensity and work like feck.
Blaming Gakpo is indeed weird, when it was Nunez and Elliot that gave away the ball for our last two goals.

Gakpo is the last type of player we need in this team though. I don't watch him a lot, but whenever I do he appears to languid and just strolls around the place. In some ways it reminds me a bit of Martial, even if Gakpo obviously has more physicality to him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
How bad are they? Weird to see Netherlands not having great attackers.
There is a surprising lack of clear world class forwards at the moment. But I’d say Gakpo is better than those available.
Xavi Simmons?
I don’t class him as a forward though I’d argue he’s more of a wide midfield/AM option. Whereas Gakpo is a forward either inside or CF.
Id say Simons looks the better player though.

Is the correct answer.
Just depends on your interpretation of a forward.

Edit: Just realised I said attacker not forward in the original post I made. Apologies meant forward.

Stadjer

How bad are they? Weird to see Netherlands not having great attackers.
Xavi Simmons?
Simons just hasnt managed to show his quality when playing for our national team. He is often very disappointing. Memphis had issues with injuries but i think he is still going to be our main attacker if he will return to fitness.

And yes. No Robben, van Persie or van Nistelrooij quality of attacking players right now. Not even Makaay or Jimmy Floyd currently. Huntelaar or Dirk Kuijt would be a starting striker for our national team now. We now focus on defenders. Van Dijk, Ake, de Ligt, de Vrij, Timber, Botman and van de Ven are all very good central defenders.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Simons just hasnt managed to show his quality when playing for our national team. He is often very disappointing. Memphis had issues with injuries but i think he is still going to be our main attacker if he will return to fitness.

And yes. No Robben, van Persie or van Nistelrooij quality of attacking players right now. Not even Makaay or Jimmy Floyd currently. Huntelaar or Dirk Kuijt would be a starting striker for our national team now. We now focus on defenders. Van Dijk, Ake, de Ligt, de Vrij, Timber, Botman and van de Ven are all very good central defenders.
Simons has found international football a bit more challenging than Gakpo too.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Blaming Gakpo is indeed weird, when it was Nunez and Elliot that gave away the ball for our last two goals.

Gakpo is the last type of player we need in this team though. I don't watch him a lot, but whenever I do he appears to languid and just strolls around the place. In some ways it reminds me a bit of Martial, even if Gakpo obviously has more physicality to him.
Sorry I mean the profile of player, ie: one that can play across the frontline. Would want someone better and more explosive though

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Yeah, Simons is more of an AM, so for actual attackers, who's the best right now is probably between Memphis, Malen, and Gakpo. I could add Luik de Jong and Brobbey, but that doesn't quite help. Fact is that the Dutch forward line is pretty crap right now. Pity, cause midfield and especially defence (as you say) are actually strong right now.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
How high do you think Gakpo's ceiling is?
Not that high. Other than having a decent shot on him, he doesn't seem to be that good at anything. He's been moved all over the front line and midfield and hasn't nailed down a position either. Diaz, Salah, Nunez & Jota all know where they're best.

IRELANDUNITED

I actually think he’s pretty good, out of form lately but I think he’s a pretty good player.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
Yeah, Simons is more of an AM, so for actual attackers, who's the best right now is probably between Memphis, Malen, and Gakpo. I couls add Luik de Jong and Brobbey, but that doesn't quite help. Fact is that the Dutch forward line is pretty crap right now. Pity, cause midfield and especially defence (as you say) are actually strong right now.
Malen>Memphis...Malen is singlehandedly carrying Dortmund whilst going under the radar, shame. I reckon he could be a perfect fit for you lot with his all his capabilities. Mans a threat and joy to watch.

Robbie Boy

Never wanted us to go near this bloke and was happy when Liverpool spunked money on him. Bullet truly dodged.