Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's more live by the sword, die by the sword. He portrays himself as the transfer guru and breaking exclusives, so this is actually pretty poor by the standards he sets. Especially when he argues with random twitter users about his claims.
Saf used to visit Malta regularly and after several pints he would occasionally share some inside information about what happens at the club. I was but a kid at the time but I remember him telling us that he was set to sign Gazza on Monday (2 days time). Turned out that we didn't. Now We are not talking here of some snooty Italian kid with time on his hands but the man himself. Years later he dropped another clanger with Shearer. Again we are talking of SAF here

Transfers are so unpredictable and so many things can go wrong. For example I know for certainty that we didn't sign a young Michael Owen because his dad came with ridiculous demands in the last minute (ie the contract was on the table). Which is why I find the likes of Romano and Goldbridge annoying. They have little/no idea what is going on and most of their info is guess work/smoke and mirrors

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Saf used to visit Malta regularly and after several pints he would occasionally share some inside information about what happens at the club. I was but a kid at the time but I remember him telling us that he was set to sign Gazza on Monday (2 days time). Turned out that we didn't. Now We are not talking here of some snooty Italian kid with time on his hands but the man himself. Years later he dropped another clanger with Shearer. Again we are talking of SAF here

Transfers are so unpredictable and so many things can go wrong. For example I know for certainty that we didn't sign a young Michael Owen because his dad came with ridiculous demands in the last minute (ie the contract was on the table). Which is why I find the likes of Romano and Goldbridge annoying. They have little/no idea what is going on and most of their info is guess work/smoke and mirrors
Yeah, preaching to the converted here. They know the news cycle is short, so just have to come with the next new thing. It's why muppetiers were able to bluff for so long.

devilish

Yeah, preaching to the converted here. They know the news cycle is short, so just have to come with the next new thing. It's why muppetiers were able to bluff for so long.
90% of Romano info is common sense. Player might be interested to join Manchester united but only if the two clubs agree a fee. Wow that's some ground breaking news. Goldbridge is worse. He is able to come up with two contrasting videos per day

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There's no world in which MUFC wasn't aware this was happening, and given the opportunity to up the bid. We didn't. Which is dumb imo because at least we could have forced LFC to pay a bit more, but whatever.
We've been in contact with the agent, player and club for months. We knew about this and chose not to act.

That may end up looking very dumb, but no part of me believes LFC have SHOCKED us by GAZUMPING our interest.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The thing is that Romano (and his cronies) portray him as tier 1. This is the transfer rumour equivalent of a Caf member knocking Tyson Fury out in round 1 of a boxing match. FFS Nurse knew about it ahead of Romano. Let that sink in
Romano is not classed tier one if I'm not mistaken.

Can you confirm what journalists knew before Nurse?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's more live by the sword, die by the sword. He portrays himself as the transfer guru and breaking exclusives, so this is actually pretty poor by the standards he sets. Especially when he argues with random twitter users about his claims.
He doesn't portray himself as shit. People just get wind up when he posts his content.

Romero is an example of someone who portrays himself as a know it all. The way he displays his content is far far different.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
90% of Romano info is common sense. Player might be interested to join Manchester united but only if the two clubs agree a fee. Wow that's some ground breaking news. Goldbridge is worse. He is able to come up with two contrasting videos per day
Not might be. He was agreed on personal terms.

He was asked the question on The United Stand. Blame the questions if you think the answers don't give much away. He's not going to magically make up progress to get you interested, unless you like the sun.

Black Alabaster

Summary of this thread:

Before Liverpool signing…he’s not good enough. Extremely overrated. Could never raise to the level of the Prem. He’s soft…

After Liverpool signing…we lost out again. Terrible recruitment. We will never get quality players. He’ll score 20+ in the Prem. Exactly the type of player we needed…
True, but the thing is it's not like he was signed by West Ham or Everton where we could safely say top dog clubs don't rate him.

He's signed for our eternal rival Liverpool who are the biggest threat for top four race this season if Newcastle keep up their momentum.

It will be painful viewing to see him have any modicum of succcess, providing assists or goals that then contribute to them leapfrogging us in the table at any point. Which if we don't make any moves whatsoever to reinforce our faltering attack, you can quite easily see happening in short order.

devilish

Not might be. He was agreed on personal terms.

He was asked the question on The United Stand. Blame the questions if you think the answers don't give much away. He's not going to magically make up progress to get you interested, unless you like the sun.
Someone who is in the know how should have known that Liverpool were closing in.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
There's no world in which MUFC wasn't aware this was happening, and given the opportunity to up the bid. We didn't. Which is dumb imo because at least we could have forced LFC to pay a bit more, but whatever.
We've been in contact with the agent, player and club for months. We knew about this and chose not to act.

That may end up looking very dumb, but no part of me believes LFC have SHOCKED us by GAZUMPING our interest.
Stop making sense in this thread please

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Nurse guessing something (he didn't even guess, he wrote probably not) and milking it is the most hilarious thing.

These jurnous would be better off with these kind of posting then trying to break some news they know nothing about.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wasn’t opposed to getting him in but he wasn’t really the right type of player we need. I think he’ll do well at Pool sadly.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He doesn't portray himself as shit. People just get wind up when he posts his content.

Romero is an example of someone who portrays himself as a know it all. The way he displays his content is far far different.
You can't post as much content as him without painting yourself as an expert. He's not a fan account is he?

Romero, I agree, was a self anointed ITK for Barca and is far worse than Romano.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can't post as much content as him without painting yourself as an expert. He's not a fan account is he?

Romero, I agree, was a self anointed ITK for Barca and is far worse than Romano.
You can post as much content as you want, he isn't often wrong, and he wasn't wrong about Gakpo either if you read or listened to what he actually said.
The jounralists first to break the Liverpool news were the ones that have the sole remit of covering LFC news and even they said it was kept well under wraps until it was all agreed.

So again, I have no fecking idea why he's a hack. I hear more conjecture from the Athletic and these feckers charge money for it.

BarryWinks

Not as much as the caf wanted him that’s for sure but they based their wantingness on how much ten hag wanted him. Now caf is furious thinking how much ten hag would be furious and thus, people are hoping he is okay and copes with it having hard time themselves doing so whilst Ten hag is just chilling at home watching compilation highlights of De jong.
:lol::drool:

devilish

devilish

You can post as much content as you want, he isn't often wrong, and he wasn't wrong about Gakpo either if you read or listened to what he actually said.
The jounralists first to break the Liverpool news were the ones that have the sole remit of covering LFC news and even they said it was kept well under wraps until it was all agreed.

So again, I have no fecking idea why he's a hack. I hear more conjecture from the Athletic and these feckers charge money for it.
He state the obvious hence why he is rarely wrong. However he is becoming a tap in merchant with others breaking the news way ahead of him

He had dropped some big ones as well, regullon to United, rabiot to Barca to mention a few

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
True, but the thing is it's not like he was signed by West Ham or Everton where we could safely say top dog clubs don't rate him.

He's signed for our eternal rival Liverpool who are the biggest threat for top four race this season if Newcastle keep up their momentum.

It will be painful viewing to see him have any modicum of succcess, providing assists or goals that then contribute to them leapfrogging us in the table at any point. Which if we don't make any moves whatsoever to reinforce our faltering attack, you can quite easily see happening in short order.
It shouldn't matter. We didn't need him desperately, he would've been another meh signing for us as he is just another LW for us or we would have used him as a band-aid striker. That would be another 40-50m (considering its us, and clubs fleece us) gone while our budget is already tight.

We don't need to sign him just because he otherwise signs for Liverpool, we have to bring in the guys we desperately, truely need. We need to focus on ourselves and not others. If we lose out on top 4 to Liverpool its because we failed to bring in a star CM like De Jong in the summer and/or failed to get us the true striker we need up front. Because we fail to finish off opponents. Because we let us get beat by midtable teams in the beginning of the season. Not because we lost out on Gakpo.

I'm happy we didn't get him. It means the money will be there for the CM we have all been begging for for ages and if the reports of "they didn't buy him because they are selling the club" are true, that is a positive sign that things might finally be in motion.

Drifter

American
Gakpo SHOCK! Liverpool DONE, Man United TRUTH, all the SECRETS and one more

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The united stand, united people tv, stretford paddock, howson and flex rate him as tier 1, some at par to ornstein.
He's tier 2 here and on the reddit transfer thread which is more of a credible rating than bullshit youtube channels you're pointing to.

He state the obvious hence why he is rarely wrong. However he is becoming a tap in merchant with others breaking the news way ahead of him

He had dropped some big ones as well, regullon to United, rabiot to Barca to mention a few
That's why he's Tier 2. As for the Gakpo news, he was stating the straight up situation. That is actually far more respectable than Whitwell on Athletic who gave a long article of conjecture that eluded to Gakpo being likely but really it appears we weren't as keen as the article would lead us to believe.

And we pay for the latter. If you think Romano is a hack, then pretty much every other journalist must be too. Winter/Drucker etc all write obvious shit often enough too. They came on Paddock recently and gave the most airy fairy non news I've ever heard in my life. Are they hacks too?

To me its clear - they aren't hacks but they will say the situation as it is. If it's boring its because that's just how it is.

SATA

It’s okay not signing this bloke but I hope we don’t go and sign Felix after this and rid of Atletico’s problem for them

Lee565

The club only has itself to blame, we over paid for martinez, we then hesitated with Anthony and paid way over the top for an already inflated price because we dithered, we paid over the price for casemiro considering his age and we could have signed gakpo cheaper in the summer but again dithered.

There is a section of the fans that say we shouldn't complain about constantly paying over the odds for players but this is the end result of doing so, struggling to fund buying a striker when the likely hood is that our rivals will strengthen this January

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Nurse guessing something (he didn't even guess, he wrote probably not) and milking it is the most hilarious thing.

These jurnous would be better off with these kind of posting then trying to break some news they know nothing about.
A lot of them are clued up clearly, Ornstein, Joyce etc. The likes of Luckhurst and Whitwell are the ones id avoid if i was a Utd fan. They just peddle consant transfer bollix

Nero

Romano has no shame. He's suddenly got all the inside info now after knowing feck all yesterday. Still haven't seen Malacia in the Lyon shirt yet, here we go.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hes saying how the transfer went down. Why is that a problem?
OK cool, we obviously don't agree on this one, but how you don't think spinning his update as "the truth" after not knowing anything about it, is bizarre.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
OK cool, we obviously don't agree on this one, but how you don't think spinning his update as "the truth" after not knowing anything about it, is bizarre.
I think this might be embarrassing for yourself.

Watch the video, everything he says about United and Gakpo is what he said for weeks.

He always said the personal terms weren't a problem and it was agreed in the summer, but United need to pay the money if they want the player. Ornstein said this too by the way.

In the video he says United had no issues with personal terms but we're still not putting their money forward. Liverpool did and the deal was done within hours (this is backed up by the likes of Paul Joyce and other Liverpool ITKs).

There is absolutely no revisionism in his video and the facts are there if you want to dig up his previous interviews on Goldbridge channel, before the Liverpool transfer came into it.

At no point did Romano say United were making a bid for Gakpo.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Romano has no shame. He's suddenly got all the inside info now after knowing feck all yesterday. Still haven't seen Malacia in the Lyon shirt yet, here we go.
You do realise that he is just a journo and things can still change right up until the contract is signed.

It may well have been a here we go moment for Lyon/Malacia. But Man Utd swooped in and stole the signing. It can and does happen. It doesn't discredit anything he does just because Liverpool kept the Gakpo deal under wraps.

Which is what we actually want, a lot of the forum would rather we didn't have the circus and we completed deals as (seemingly) quickly and as quietly as Liverpool. Literally no Journo was reporting on Gakpo to Liverpool until the deal was agreed. It was all United x Gakpo.

cyberman

It’s a really bad look for him. There’s no way that if the player really wanted to come that he’s be joining Liverpool before the window even opens. There’s no getting around that

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think this might be embarrassing for yourself.

Watch the video, everything he says about United and Gakpo is what he said for weeks.

He always said the personal terms weren't a problem and it was agreed in the summer, but United need to pay the money if they want the player. Ornstein said this too by the way.

In the video he says United had no issues with personal terms but we're still not putting their money forward. Liverpool did and the deal was done within hours (this is backed up by the likes of Paul Joyce and other Liverpool ITKs).

There is absolutely no revisionism in his video and the facts are there if you want to dig up his previous interviews on Goldbridge channel, before the Liverpool transfer came into it.

At no point did Romano say United were making a bid for Gakpo.
Again, it's how he's framing his update. I'm not denying any of what he said was factually incorrect and he's not changed his stance at all. So to essentially tell us what happened, which is just someone else's information, after they've reported is odd.

Paul Joyce is not "backing up" Romano's report, it's the other way round and there in lies my issue with him.

Black Alabaster

It shouldn't matter. We didn't need him desperately, he would've been another meh signing for us as he is just another LW for us or we would have used him as a band-aid striker. That would be another 40-50m (considering its us, and clubs fleece us) gone while our budget is already tight.

We don't need to sign him just because he otherwise signs for Liverpool, we have to bring in the guys we desperately, truely need. We need to focus on ourselves and not others. If we lose out on top 4 to Liverpool its because we failed to bring in a star CM like De Jong in the summer and/or failed to get us the true striker we need up front. Because we fail to finish off opponents. Because we let us get beat by midtable teams in the beginning of the season. Not because we lost out on Gakpo.

I'm happy we didn't get him. It means the money will be there for the CM we have all been begging for for ages and if the reports of "they didn't buy him because they are selling the club" are true, that is a positive sign that things might finally be in motion.
You are right mate and I agree with your points, although same could be said for Liverpool who didn't actually need another LW, Diaz is just injured and out for a month or so but they still have Jota, Nunez, Carvalho who can all play LW till then. They added quality depth for cheap whilst our frontline is shakey and lacking in genuine consistent quality.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
A lot of them are clued up clearly, Ornstein, Joyce etc. The likes of Luckhurst and Whitwell are the ones id avoid if i was a Utd fan. They just peddle consant transfer bollix
Ornstein is a serious juorno and is not there for self-promoting/guess work (probably why he is on good terms with other clubs/respectable juornos). There are far more of them on the other side of the coin that are trying to compete against each other in constantly bringing breaking transfer news, even in cases when they are clearly in the dark.

But, I guess, it's all good fun anyway. Without them, transfer window would be a bit boring.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal

I don't understand this: why would he go to Liverpool who are on the decline when there was clear interest from a famous club that are on the up and up.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
You are right mate and I agree with your points, although same could be said for Liverpool who didn't actually need another LW, Diaz is just injured and out for a month or so but they still have Jota, Nunez, Carvalho who can all play LW till then. They added quality depth for cheap whilst our frontline is shakey and lacking in genuine consistent quality.
Thats true too, but its also still a gamble on their part. 40m for a quite unproven bench player (once Jota, Diaz etc come back) while their midfield is hurting. I'd rather see us continue building a solid foundation (especially midfield) so that we can eventually afford to make these kinds of moves to add quality depth pieces. If its true that money is tight I would rather see us go hard for Enzo or Jude or Frenkie and a true striker rather than a rotational player. I get the frustration from fans, but I think missing out on Gakpo won't hurt us as much as they think. 40m is still a lot of money even if its a reasonable price in this market.

Status
Not open for further replies.