Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What I take from it is 2 scenarios. ETH wants Gakpo to come in and be our primary LW player and utilise Rashford as a striker more often. Or to use Rashford as LW and mould Gakpo into a roaming striker to utilise his finishing ability. He sure knows how to strike a ball. From short or long distance.
Yeap, I really hope it's the latter. Which is still a gamble, but Rashford is definitely not a proper #9 even at his best.

MadMike

Your suggesting in your initial reply we don’t need anyone as a replacement for Ronaldo based on the number of options we have. I disagree simply because your looking at quantity over quality.

It’s been pretty clear Rashford is much more comfortable and effective on the left than he is as ST. Even though he can create problems as a ST, he’s not prolific enough for us to rely on him for goals. He will play most of games from the left leaving Martial our main option as striker praying he can stay fit.
I actually largely agree with all this. We have quantity but we need to improve on quality. However you generally dip into the January window for quantity not quality. Because you need a body. Quality players are not in general available in January and you even end up over-paying for mediocre ones (anyone remember Ighalo). Rashford is indeed a better LW than ST. But you will really, really struggle to find a better striker than Rashford available for a reasonable price in January. Gakpo isn't that man. He has only played 18 games as striker in his career for example, to Rashford's 127, and those in the much easier Dutch league.

The time for improving the quality is in the summer.

Right now there is clearly something wrong with Sancho. In 18 months we’ve had no run of performances from him to show we can be confident with him. Just moments and goals in games where he’s been mostly anonymous.
Sancho has been here 14 months actually (joined 23th July 2021). Yes, he has flattered to deceive and he hasn't justified his price for sure. But you don't give up on a young and highly promising player 14 months into his move and half way through the season. He's also had 3 managers in 14 months and played largely with Ronaldo up top (we've seen what having Ronaldo up front has caused to other forwards including Rashford). Also he's not the nothing man some people make him out to be. In our best performances this season against Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal, where we (not incidentally) played without Ronaldo, he actually played very well. Scoring against Liverpool and assisting against Spurs.

Elanga is simply not good enough for me to consider him a good option other than backup to fill a spot ineffectively.
Agreed. But Elanga is 3rd choice striker (behind Martial and Rashford), 3rd choice right winger (behind Antony and Sancho) and 4th left winger behind (behind Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho). He's just used rarely, wherever there's a hole, when there's a hole. I obviously want to replace him with a better forward, ideally a left-footed RW to have genuine depth and competition to Antony for that position. But again Gakpo is not a left-footed right winger, he's a right-footed left winger. Which isn't what we need. Finally, the time to replace him and improve the quality for the RW, is the summer. Not now.

We should not be in a position where we are relying on a teenage Garnacho to perform for us every week.
We don't. He's a sub. He's like 3rd choice left winger.

Martial, Rashford, Antony and Garnacho are our only reliable forward options who have shown performances that are good enough. That is certainly not enough to compete on all fronts to the end of the season.
I guess much of our difference comes from the fact that I don't consider Sancho as much of a lost cause as you and believe that he deserves persevering with till the end of the season at least. Which makes buying Gakpo now unnecessary.

Last edited:

Chief123

Mbappé in the summer…
Problem is he wants to play LW more than any of our current players! That’s why it was reported he had a big kick off at PsG this season because he only wants to play as a winger playing off a striker like he does for France.

I can’t see us getting him anyway but even if we did, he certainly doesn’t want to play as a striker!

footballbite

I think people here need to zoom out a little to then see that Gakpo and Rashford will, long term, compete for that LW inside striker role
You're forgetting that will completely block the route of Garnacho, who looks a top talent.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
As a PSV supporter, I’m a big fan of Gakpo. He does not always perform well (see the matches against Rangers), but in most of the games PSV plays, he is the one who decides the match (goal and assist stats are skyhigh). I am convinced about Gakpo’s qualities. Yes he has mainly shown his qualities in Eredivisie matches, but his international stats, are actually just as good. The discussion about if he is good enough for United; yes he is (i am convinced Gakpo is more decisive then Antony)

But, i agree with the people that state United is better off with a real striker. Gakpo is not that player. Gakpo is a smart, modest and down to earth guy and will probably go to a club where he can play as a left winger. As mentioned by a lot of you guys, United has more then enough options on that position. It would be smart to use the money for an experienced striker.

I expect Gakpo to move to Liverpool. Pepijn Linders has indicated in an Interview that he sees Gakpo as missing link for Liverpool, and i think he is right…..

MadMike

As a PSV supporter, I’m a big fan of Gakpo. He does not always perform well (see the matches against Rangers), but in most of the games PSV plays, he is the one who decides the match (goal and assist stats are skyhigh). I am convinced about Gakpo’s qualities. Yes he has mainly shown his qualities in Eredivisie matches, but his international stats, are actually just as good. The discussion about if he is good enough for United; yes he is (i am convinced Gakpo is more decisive then Antony)

But, i agree with the people that state United is better off with a real striker. Gakpo is not that player. Gakpo is a smart, modest and down to earth guy and will probably go to a club where he can play as a left winger. As mentioned by a lot of you guys, United has more then enough options on that position. It would be smart to use the money for an experienced striker.

I expect Gakpo to move to Liverpool. Pepijn Linders has indicated in an Interview that he sees Gakpo as missing link for Liverpool, and i think he is right…..
Liverpool are also kinda stacked on the left side though. They lost Mane but they bought Luiz Diaz who is doing very well for them. And they also have Diogo Jota who’s another very handy player, if a little injury prone. Both are only 25.

On top of that after buying Nunez and Diaz only recently and then renewing Salah, Liverpool are more likely to let their attack gel than tamper with it. It’s their midfield that is really letting them down at the moment, where they haven’t really replaced Wijnaldum. So they are very likely to dump most of their money on a CM instead. Rumoured to be in the lead for Bellingham who will very likely cost them 9 figures.

tjb

One thing I will say is, these days signing a pure out and out 9 may not be possible. Look at Greenwood, even with players considered strikers, due to the physicality of playing as a lone striker, they are shifted to the flanks for experience purposes. Gakpo seems to have the skillset of a striker, signing him as a left winger seems pretty redundant given his skillset. From what I've seen, he has a similar shot profile to Harry Kane, that's something almost no other 9's have in the game, it's worth honing and pursuing.

Chief123

He would be wasted at Liverpool. Luis Diaz will only ever play as their left winger when others are available and will always be first choice.

Son

Gakpo seems 100% a player who will become a central striker. He’s a player we should be going after as he can mix it up with wing play and has physicality.

I see huge potential in the guy. He has everything needed to be a top striker in any league.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He reminds me of the right footed version of Greenwood.

Seems to have a wicked shot. Both players look slow but fast at the same time.

Crimson King

I don't know who this guy is. He's says that he's a journalist in his Twitter bio, but he's paid for the blue tick, so might just be a wannabe ITK.

If anyone else can knows more about his credentials, please share.

OptimisedRed

He does look the business. Exciting news and I'm sure ETH knows how to get the best out of him.

Shai-Hulud

I don't like the price. €10m+ more than we could have signed him for in the summer. And he's not the type of player we need most.

Guapa

Willing to trust the manager here to prove me wrong as I don't see anything special about this guy,has Rashford vibes for me.Anyway best of luck lad,prove me wrong.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Willing to trust the manager here to prove me wrong as I don't see anything special about this guy,has Rashford vibes for me.Anyway best of luck lad,prove me wrong.
he knows how to score goals on both feet, he puts up good assist numbers too. that’s the hardest thing in football..

He is still very young and can improve in other areas, especially playing with and against better players.

I suspect we will turn him into a 9 eventually

Levi1

Not sufficient quality IMO. Reminds me of Andros Townsend. Can beat his man but is otherwise very hit/miss

Drizzle

I'm not convinced either. Don't see the skills, footwork or pace he'd need to create enough space for shooting in the premier league. Nor does he have the strength or touch to immediately transition into being a target man number 9, and no pace to run in behind.

That said, the lad has a truly wonderful shot on him and a great cross too. These are rare and valuable qualities. With good coaching, and in the right setup that will work space for him, he could properly bang. It's a risk, but if Erik wants him then we have to assume he'll lift him to the right levels.

Reactions: oates

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't know who this guy is. He's says that he's a journalist in his Twitter bio, but he's paid for the blue tick, so might just be a wannabe ITK.

If anyone else can knows more about his credentials, please share.
Not true.

No chance a deal happens during the World Cup.

Nero

Technically limited, poor touch and passing, and isn't a #9. Pointless.

RedorDead21

Arsenals forwards and attackers are
CF - Jesus, NKetiah
WF- Martinelli, Saka, Nelson
AMC- Odegaard

with the right manager, tactics and attitude of players we should be walking top 4
So nothing we’ve seen so far then given our league position.

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona

For me Gakpo lacks a bit of speed on the wing. He has not the acceleration needed for a top premier league winger. Can he play center forward? Maybe he can change his position, the same of Henry or now Marcus Thuram. But is a big risk: for Utd is better to buy a true central striker.

Andersons Dietician

Gakpo seems 100% a player who will become a central striker. He’s a player we should be going after as he can mix it up with wing play and has physicality.

I see huge potential in the guy. He has everything needed to be a top striker in any league.
What makes you think that? I mean I’ve heard people say they believe his long term future is as a 9. Admittedly I’ve not seen that much of him but from what I have seen, I just haven't seen where this opinion comes from yet.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Transfer windows are going to be even more awful now with all these frauds paying for the blue tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.