Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Said it before...if Gakpo comes, he will have to hit the ground running. If manutd fans cant be patient with sancho who has way more tools in his toolbox, they probably wont be patient with Gakpo. While he has a good shot and a good cross, he cant dribble, has a mediocre first touch and his passing isnt above average. He will have alot of work to do to even begin to transition into a 9 at manutd. Hopefully fans give him the required time
Out of interest....what are these tools you think Sancho has?

He's not particularly great at anything. His crossing isn't great, his finishing isn't, he's quite slow and rarely beats a man for us.

I haven't seen a great deal of Gakpo other than one Europa game against Arsenal and obviously these world cup games so I can't make an informed opinion on him really. However Sancho just isn't that good mate.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Willing to trust the manager but I wouldn’t go for this one. Just doesn’t look dynamic enough.

croadyman

Willing to trust the manager but I wouldn’t go for this one. Just doesn’t look dynamic enough.
I would go for it IF we had been getting a loan/short term number 9 as well,only because we need one who can stay fit regularly

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Everything I've read about this guy makes it sound like he's a talented attacker who doesn't quite fit at either LW or CF at the highest level right now. So would be something of a project player we'd have to mold into a more specific role over time.

Which I'm broadly fine with if ETH really rates his basic talent, as long as we plan on buying a proper #9 in the summer regardless.

croadyman

Everything I've read about this guy makes it sound like he's a talented attacker who doesn't quite fit at either LW or CF at the highest level right now. So would be something of a project player we'd have to mold into a more specific role over time.

Which I'm broadly fine with if ETH really rates his basic talent, as long as we plan on buying a proper #9 in the summer regardless.
Yeah have to be all in this summer for one of

Kane
Osimhen
Leao
Sesko
Vlahovic

Provided we get CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

MrBest

I dont get why we need another left winger. People are saying he can be Henry and move central, I don't see it. Would much prefer osimhen

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Someone said he seems like the type of player who could be turning out for Huddersfield in 18 months if he plays his cards wrong. And it felt accurate.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
What are the odds on Gakpo, and Depay on a free?

LW: Sancho, Gakpo, Garnacho
CF: Martial, Rashford, Depay

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I would argue that we need two strikers, but not a winger.
So I've been thinking about the need of goals for ages now and been thinking about who we can get who is a classic style lump of a Cfwd. If we can get a 20yr old Cavani then we hit the jackpot, the way we played when that fecker was fit and in the team was immense.

I would love to have such a style in our fwd, but my friend has said 'maybe ETH doesn't want that style of player in his team. Just as inverted wingers is a thing opposite to touchline hugging orthodox wingers, as is fwds who get involved in the team play and offer more than being a cfwd who is very limited without the decent service. And I have to agree with my friend after thinking about it.

So maybe we can function without the lump upfront and with the inverted fwd who links up play. We've had some great strikers over the last few decades who fit this role, Rooney Rvp Tevez Cole and Yorke. Its about finishing off the moves in a way that works for the team, and I think this said way is another way to play and win games.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Said it before...if Gakpo comes, he will have to hit the ground running. If manutd fans cant be patient with sancho who has way more tools in his toolbox, they probably wont be patient with Gakpo. While he has a good shot and a good cross, he cant dribble, has a mediocre first touch and his passing isnt above average. He will have alot of work to do to even begin to transition into a 9 at manutd. Hopefully fans give him the required time
If we can't be patient with Sancho? I've been more patient than a starving frogfish ffs. How much longer are we supposed to wait?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yesterday's game Spain vs Germany showed that you need a proper striker. Maybe it is not en vogue right now but we need that. If Gakpo is more of a winger/IF, then better pass

MadMike

If we can't be patient with Sancho? I've been more patient than a starving frogfish ffs. How much longer are we supposed to wait?
Huh? Call me old fashioned, but I'd say at least couple of seasons before passing final judgement on a 21yo transfer from abroad? Especially when the club has been such an irredeemable mess during most of his time here?

People forget. We had three managers in 14 months (that's how long he's been here), two of which had no tactical plan. We had an attack centred around Ronaldo and completely lacking any cohesion, fluidity or rhythm. It was only 6 months ago Rashford was completing his worst season on record and people were writing him off and saying we shouldn't even renew. Martial, who's now going to spearhead our attack, was completing a failed loan to Sevilla and was as good as gone for most of us. Even Bruno had a bad season and was being questioned and criticised. It was a very messy time at the club, even for players who had been here for years and had proved their worth to us. Imagine how much more so for a young player with a heavy price tag and huge burden of expectation, who had only just arrived.

Sancho has shown exceptional ability and form in the past, even if not for this club. With the club now becoming more stable since ETH got the vote of confidence and with Ronaldo gone, he should have at least the rest of the season to prove he can be better than what he's shown so far and to find some consistency.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

So I've been thinking about the need of goals for ages now and been thinking about who we can get who is a classic style lump of a Cfwd. If we can get a 20yr old Cavani then we hit the jackpot, the way we played when that fecker was fit and in the team was immense.

I would love to have such a style in our fwd, but my friend has said 'maybe ETH doesn't want that style of player in his team. Just as inverted wingers is a thing opposite to touchline hugging orthodox wingers, as is fwds who get involved in the team play and offer more than being a cfwd who is very limited without the decent service. And I have to agree with my friend after thinking about it.

So maybe we can function without the lump upfront and with the inverted fwd who links up play. We've had some great strikers over the last few decades who fit this role, Rooney Rvp Tevez Cole and Yorke. Its about finishing off the moves in a way that works for the team, and I think this said way is another way to play and win games.
Agreed that we don't necessarily need a battering ram style of forward. It's just a case of whether Gakpo can transition to be the type of number 9 you describe, as the majority of the time he plays on the left. You would assume that ten Hag is signing him with a view to playing him centrally though, due to us having decent wide options already. We need an additional striker too in my opinion because Martial has difficulty staying fit.

redcucumber

Huh? Call me old fashioned, but I'd say at least couple of seasons before passing final judgement on a 21yo transfer from abroad? Especially when the club has been such an irredeemable mess during most of his time here?

People forget. We had three managers in 14 months (that's how long he's been here), two of which had no tactical plan. We had an attack centred around Ronaldo and completely lacking any cohesion, fluidity or rhythm. It was only 6 months ago Rashford was completing his worst season on record and people were writing him off and saying we shouldn't even renew. Martial, who's now going to spearhead our attack, was completing a failed loan to Sevilla and was as good as gone for most of us. Even Bruno had a bad season and was being questioned and criticised. It was a very messy time at the club, even for players who had been here for years and had proved their worth to us. Imagine how much more so for a young player with a heavy price tag and huge burden of expectation, who had only just arrived.

Sancho has shown exceptional ability and form in the past, even if not for this club. With the club now becoming more stable since ETH got the vote of confidence and Ronaldo is gone, he should have at least the rest of the season to prove he can be better than what he's shown so far and to find some consistency.
Great post. People are completely mad if they are already out of patience with Sancho. It's ridiculous to not factor in the utter feckpie that was last season, so we've got a sample size of 4 months of Sancho under ten Hag. Incredible how inpatient fans are.

MadMike

Great post. People are completely mad if they are already out of patience with Sancho. It's ridiculous to not factor in the utter feckpie that was last season, so we've got a sample size of 4 months of Sancho under ten Hag. Incredible how inpatient fans are.
Indeed. It’s only been 3 months of football into this season. It started on Aug 7th and broke off on Nov the 13th.

And while Sancho has indeed failed to find any consistency in that short period (has the team in whole found any?), in the important games when we benched Ronaldo and played Rashford up front he play very well. Any fluid performance we had so far, he’s been part of. Think back to our best performances in this period: Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, that first half at Stamford Bridge. He was in all of them. He scored against Liverpool, assisted against Spurs, had a decent game against Arsenal and got taken off early in the 2nd at the Bridge (after a fine first half) for an extra body in midfield after Potter had changed things up.

Yes we expect more from him. I am his vocal critic too. He needs to find more consistency and he needs to become much fitter, he fades off in the 2nd halves way too much. But the man shown glimpses (even if his precious time at Dortmund is ignored) that in a decent setup, with an attack that knows how to link up, he can be very good. To give up on him so early sounds dumb to me.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Sancho has shown exceptional ability and form in the past, even if not for this club. With the club now becoming more stable since ETH got the vote of confidence and with Ronaldo gone, he should have at least the rest of the season to prove he can be better than what he's shown so far and to find some consistency.
Your argument is that our whole team was bad, not just Sancho. And since then, many of them have rediscovered their form (not Sancho). And you add that Sancho was good once upon a time.

OK.

What is your opinion around the fact that he is knackered after 60 minutes? Do you think he puts in the effort during training? Surely it all starts with fitness? Shouldn't he at least do that until he rediscovers his form? It's been 14 months. Are you satisfied with Sancho?

MadMike

What is your opinion around the fact that he is knackered after 60 minutes? Do you think he puts in the effort during training? Surely it all starts with fitness? Shouldn't he at least do that until he rediscovers his form? It's been 14 months. Are you satisfied with Sancho?
I think most of these questions I have already answered on the post just above yours.

Yes we expect more from him. I am his vocal critic too. He needs to find more consistency and he needs to become much fitter, he fades off in the 2nd halves way too much. But the man has shown glimpses (even if his precious time at Dortmund is ignored) that in a decent setup, with an attack that knows how to link up, he can be very good. To give up on him so early sounds dumb to me.
It's not that I'm happy with him, I'm not. It's just that I don't believe now is the time to give up on him. He clearly has the talent and he should be given a bit more time to adapt to the rigours of Ten Hag's system, before we write him off, for his sake and ours. Like I said, I believe he should be given till the end of the season.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The boy knows where the back of the net is :drool:

Bring him home

Telsim

Again, and again, and again... Right foot now. Left foot last time. Pure class.

We better be willing to pay up.

mu4c_20le

Seriously though, at this rate he'll beat all the records :eek:

Pele, Maradona, Muller, Ronaldo, Messi........ Gakpo

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he's exactly what EtH wants in that CF role ala Martial in pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.