Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick7

if we sign him does that mean we go to two up top like the dutch are playing?
No. We don’t have the full backs or centre backs for that. I’d say we would play a fairly fluid forward line. Antony sticking right and Rashford/Martial and Gakpo splitting time between LW and ST

stoinz

I like him a lot. Hope him coming will light up Sancho like Malacia did for Shaw.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Get this done.

Better than Anthony for half the price?
He was the Eredivisie player of the year last year. He is a year older. He is a left winger mainly. Antony is a left footed right winger, has more natural talent, bought for his profile and potential. Not just buying another LW when we have 3.

Rolaholic

Him and Kudus's stock are going nothing but up this WC

He's on pace to be named the young player of the tournament

Telsim

The easy time to sign him was in the summer. The competition now will be fierce. PSV can set the fee higher and he can demand higher wages. Will the Glazers show up?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
£75m now.

It’s a shame, we could have got him for £45m in the summer apparently, would have been a real bargain
Let’s not pretend he ain’t playing against Qatar, Senegal and Ecuador. We’ll wait to see what he does against Argentina/Spain and the top teams. His price shouldn’t have gone up it’s only like playing teams in his current league.

thomas porter

he can definitely finish but i'm yet to be fully convinced by him as an out and out striker.

So what’s the story, why didn’t we get him in the summer? I know there was interest, the player confirmed it too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So what’s the story, why didn’t we get him in the summer? I know there was interest, the player confirmed it too.
One factor seems to have been that PSV's technical director wasn't supportive of Gakpo leaving. (He was fired for that subsequently, as the PSV board is adamant that PSV needs the income from high-profile transfer for its financial well-being.)

Telsim

United allegedly have only ever been front runners
Very much doubt this will remain the case. Real Madrid are apparently sniffing around. If they make a good offer, there's very little we can do. I'm sure others will come out as well.

But I sure hope so.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not convinced about his actual all round game, but there’s an inevitably about him that he’ll grab some G/A every game. Maybe the Bruno comparison was fair @giorno

bosnian_red

We chose not to bring him in and picked Antony. We needed a left footed RW, not a right footed LW.

He's a good shooter, that is clear. There's a long distance between being a good shooter and being a player that fits Ten Hag as a striker. I don't think he does at all, and at LW we just don't need him in the slightest.

JustinC00

Shame 90% of the forum was totally against it and said he’d he a waste of money.
I was in the 10% . I wanted him but Ajax had to be cnuts and then we got an actual world class DM so I understood why it didn't happen. But with Ronaldo gone, ETH wanting him, Gakpo pretty much saying he wants it. No excuse for it not to get done other than glazers being tightwads when they are looking to sell for billions.

crossy1686

career ending
Not convinced about his actual all round game, but there’s an inevitably about him that he’ll grab some G/A every game. Maybe the Bruno comparison was fair @giorno
He looks decent and we need the bodies up that end of the pitch but I don't see anything 'special' in him unlike Bellingham, that lad from Germany and Pedri though. Happy to be proven wrong at some point though.

bosnian_red

Tbh I really feel like he's going to flop where he goes. His all round game isn't strong at all. All he's shown is good crossing and good shooting, which is a big quality of course, but you need more than that to succeed at a big league.

bosnian_red

He looks decent and we need the bodies up that end of the pitch but I don't see anything 'special' in him unlike Bellingham, that lad from Germany and Pedri though. Happy to be proven wrong at some point though.
He's also just 1.5 years younger than Rashford. Older than Sancho. Older than Antony. He's not some youngster.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
We want him and he wants to come…watch Newcastle/Chelsea/Liverpool come in and take him in January while the Glazers fk about and cite no value in the Jan transfer window :(

Crimson King

It's almost impossible to get the special ones, unless you make them yourself or tie them down young. They'd all cost 3/4x as much as Gakpo, if they're ever up for sale. You're probably right about Gakpo, but he's a 'gettable' target that improves the squad.

In fairness, we pulled out all the stops for Bellingham when he was leaving Birmingham City, but he chose Dortmund. We can only hope we manage to get the next one onboard.

Stadjer

He is not a ''real'' number 9 striker. He comes from the left and is capable of playing in the middle. Basically something that Rashford and Martial do or have done. I really am not sure if he is better than those two players. Also we have Garnacho to develop for that position. I dont think Manchester United needs Gakpo.

Gakpo has a really good shot/finishing but are the rest of his qualities good enough to be a succes at the highest level or in the Premier League? Im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.