Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Another game against a team who aren't Eredivisie cloggers or a third rate national side. Yet another anonymous display.

I'm still in the camp that if Ten Hag wants him and the price is right, had hasn't steered us wrong so far, but feck, I just don't see it. Great shooting technique, great crossing technique, none of the other attributes needed to get on the ball in positions to be able to take advantage of either.

Abraxas

Amazing how players can go from hero to zero in the space of one game these days.

MadMike

So he’s shit again ya?
I don’t see anyone here flip-flopping. The same people who were sceptical before are also now, just more vocal after a poor display.

He ain’t a shit player. He’s a pretty decent winger with good crossing and very good striking technique. But he isn’t a central striker. And you can see that he’s missing attributes that would enable him to replicate at the highest level the type of performances he regularly produces in the Eredivisie.

fallengt

Signing 9 should be top priority this winter . I don't think he's that.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Hahaha odds on LVG forgetting his phone on the disabled toilets, some random dutch reporter had access finds the phone and sees 2 missed calls from Manchester United

Who comes up with this shit, and that someone gets paid for that

Why would Utd even be calling LVG at all, a man they fired who hates the club and has nothing to do with Gakpo potentially changing clubs in January
What I like most about the story is the notion that a club has a telephone number and calls people

Seven Seas Sardines

Gakpo and Ten Hag have the same agent/agency so there is open communication clearly if ETH & the club wants to know anything whatsoever related to a transfer.

Gakpo is not going to say in a press conference "Yes my agents are talking to united last week actually" in the middle of a season and WC it's pretty basic procedure.
That's the point though. If his agents are talking to United why would he openly deny it? He could say anthing from "I'm focused on the World Cup" to "No comment".

Stadjer

Another game against a team who aren't Eredivisie cloggers or a third rate national side. Yet another anonymous display.

I'm still in the camp that if Ten Hag wants him and the price is right, had hasn't steered us wrong so far, but feck, I just don't see it. Great shooting technique, great crossing technique, none of the other attributes needed to get on the ball in positions to be able to take advantage of either.
Agree. Very good at striking the ball but nothing special (compared to Premier League standards) when it comes to speed, dribbles, strenght or technique to control a ball. Not sure if that is good enough to make it at Manchester United.

He is supposed to be very professional and working hard to become a better player. Thats a positive.

DarkXaero

He didn't have a good performance tonight but the way the Netherlands team was set up to play, I don't think they helped him at all.

tjb

Agree. Very good at striking the ball but nothing special (compared to Premier League standards) when it comes to speed, dribbles, strenght or technique to control a ball. Not sure if that is good enough to make it at Manchester United.

He is supposed to be very professional and working hard to become a better player. Thats a positive.
I actually think individually he showed a lot of things this tournament and even in today's game that shows he should be more central. I don't think his dribbling is that fantastic. He can attack a man one on one and centrally. He has very good balance. His touches were usually good, he has a decent jumping reach. His technique, more so that just his shooting, seems pretty good. This is why he is quite good at crossing, passing and shooting. As a modern 9, I can see him playing more of a hybrid Firmino and Kane role. I don't think he will be great as a winger at the highest level, but centrally, not many forwards have that striking ability. He also makes consistently good decisions on the ball. His game seems very efficient. He doesn't need to constantly be in play, but when he is, he can be quite effective. That's the hallmark of a striker.

Mainoldo

Very tidy player. I don’t know why he’s getting so much criticism?

Is it because he didn’t score or assist? Ironic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The more I look at his tools and the more I see a striker that has been somehow used wide and not allowed to refine his striking game. I wouldn't be surprised if he followed a similar trajectory to Drogba as a late bloomer.

Ekeke

He didn't have a good performance tonight but the way the Netherlands team was set up to play, I don't think they helped him at all.
Reminded me of our talented attackers under Van Gaal. They were on the pitch but just playing like average players passing the ball sideways and recycling the ball through the whole team, rather than taking on responsibility to try and make something happen with their ability

Doracle

Hard to judge a player under LVG but he didn’t look special in either knockout match. Wouldn’t be keen on us signing him based on this tournament.

Seven Seas Sardines

Could be that we wanted him for £34m but backed out when they started jacking the price up. If Toney won't get cleared of betting charges I don't know who of quality can possibly be in our price range for January.

Godfather

Could be that we wanted him for £34m but backed out when they started jacking the price up. If Toney won't get cleared of betting charges I don't know who of quality can possibly be in our price range for January.
Depay on loan. Not the best option but better than nothing when Tony will inevitably get injured again

Bondi77

If we were going to bring him in I don't think his world cup performances are going to swing it either way.
Erik either wants him or not but with Ronnie gone I reckon he will go for someone that is a striker and I don't think it is this bloke.

Pronewbie

Peep
We desperately need a striker that can be relied on. I just think Gakpo's profile is too similar to what we already have. Felix is another one.. Why's the CF market so dead..

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We desperately need a striker that can be relied on. I just think Gakpo's profile is too similar to what we already have. Felix is another one.. Why's the CF market so dead..
Felix does make sense in that he’s a top talent we’ve wanted in the summer who is suddenly available in January, can play anywhere in the front line, can play a false 9 role for us the next 6 months and we have zero cover or competition for 28 year old Bruno. Felix now and Osimhen in the summer would present us with some serious attacking options so it’s good squad building bringing him in.

Gakpo is a good player but he isn’t better than a fit martial or rashford and his best position is one where we have at least one player possibly 3 who are better than him. Good is not good enough for where we want to be.

Black Alabaster

Yeah seems a briefing went out last night as Simon Stone, Luckhurst and Nurse all released info around Gakpo and Goncalo Ramos at basically the same time.

Ten Hag also said after the last game we are looking for "the right player" if he is available then "we go for it".

The thing with that is, the CF market really isn't dead per se, it's more like the "elite" guaranteed goals CF market is dead compared to say CM or wingers atm where there are loads of guaranteed top drawer players.

There are actually loads of promising young strikers all over the place in Europe & South America with great goal records who could be on the brink of explosion if they came here, but that fear factor of getting a dud is there if we don't do due dillegence when scouting. We hearing so much about our data science upgrades and scouting reshuffle, hope that pays off sooner than later now we have a coach with a playstyle that knows what attributes his system needs.

That's also why i'm not so against Gakpo, he actually has good striker ingredients like many have said here, ETH and Benny Mcarthy could polish the simple stuff he is missing.

davidmichael

I’d rather we signed Felix on loan next month then in the summer look at a genuine all round centre forward similar to Martial minus the injuries, I’d also look at Zaha on a free in the summer as he can play centrally but fluid enough to interchange positions whilst giving us plenty of depth up top.

Drizzle

I'd rather play Elanga as CF than bloody Depay.
You do realise Depay is about 3 levels above Elanga? He's really a pretty decent player, I just don't understand the vitriol about him. Yes he's not our dream striker, but we ain't getting that in January.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Memphis is not the progressive forward we need to keep a high press. Makes no sense to get a BTEC Ronaldo in who runs about as much.
We have very limited options, limited money and only 1 semi fit striker in Martial.

If you really think Elanga is enough to carry us through 3 competitions? :houllier:

Depay isn't the answer but he sure as hell isn't a bad stop gap short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.