Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betson

Bit of surprise ending to this saga . was certain he was coming here but not sure he was the right fit for us at this time. He will probably do well for them but as other have said we need an out and out striker and that should be our priority.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bit of surprise ending to this saga . was certain he was coming here but not sure he was the right fit for us at this time. He will probably do well for them but as other have said we need an out and out striker and that should be our priority.
Isn't that the problem nowadays. All you get is people saying 'Oh he can play in a multitude of positions across the front line'. I couldn't give a t***. We need someone who prime focus is putting the ball in the net, not another jack of all trades, master of none. A striker in his prime, not past his prime, if they ever had a prime in the first place.

RORY65

Isn't that the problem nowadays. All you get is people saying 'Oh he can play in a multitude of positions across the front line'. I couldn't give a t***. We need someone who prime focus is putting the ball in the net, not another jack of all trades, master of none. A striker in his prime, not past his prime, if they ever had a prime in the first place.
I think the issue is that there aren't many going strikers around, I can't say I'm excited or especially impressed by a single option mentioned, so fans start looking at players who look like they could be good in that role even if they don't currently play there especially as Gakpo felt more attainable than most in January.

The reality is that most even half-decent strikers won't be available then and I'm not sure we're in a financial position to spend money on someone who isn't going to be the answer long-term so I would think finding someone on loan who can be a back-up to Martial is the best we can hope for and then try to find our next number 9 in the summer (God knows who that will be).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Feel like I've entered a parallel universe where Howard Nurse now breaks news and Romano tweets after the fact.
To be fair Romano did a lot of tweets after someone else had tweeted them, it's just that his account is bigger so it appears like he's the first one to break the news.

It's all so predictable. I remember somebody in the summer going into overdrive whinging about us signing Antony when we could've had Nunez if we were run properly.

All the best narratives have come out since last night. Gakpo is now the perfect striker for us, despite never playing there for PSV. United could never get a deal like this done, despite the well documented news that PSV were willing to sell for under £50m due to their financial difficulties. All objectivity goes out of the window if a rival team enters the fray and takes a player we've been linked with, no matter how loose those links are.
It is getting tiring. I think Salah and Van Djik really changed the perception of people about Klopp's transfers. "OMG if Klopp wants him he must be good!!!" "Pool has made another brilliant signing, 100% will be successful". Forgetting the likes of Karius and Nunez.

Swordsman

100m at least

Fancy the 2 players below ?

Dusan Vlahovic
Victor Osimhen

pascell

He's not what we need. We'd either play him or Rashford as a striker and that isn't the favoured position of either player.

He was also too easily marked out of games at the WC for my liking too.

jeepers

Could end up embarrassing myself, but I’m quite happy we didn’t sign him and this is the end of him being linked with us.

I don’t think he solves our CF/no 9 problem, and he’s not better than Rashford on the left (IMO).

I think Depay would be a better fit at the moment, especially if we can force a free transfer out of it.

Canagel

He has the makings of a centre forward. I have a feeling that he will make that transformation very soon as the likes of Henry and Van Persie did.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
But someone said we don't have money?
And someone else said we never considered him a serious target?
And this one says we didn't want to pay as much upfront?

Almost as if none of them know anything.

Litch

Personally I’m not arsed but as already said, more how the club operated for someone who the manager clearly wanted. We dragged our feet and now it’s made the decision even more difficult to choose who comes in next. Im absolutely convinced it with be Depay. The story is written and I bet he gets the number 7 shirt, to rewrite the wrongs of the first time he was here….or something like that

TheReligion

Abusive
There were. It’s also common sense when a business is being sold
I mean Liverpool are being sold too.

That said I’d say it’s common sense to only buy essentials so to speak rather than wasting money on the wider squad.

I think we will get someone in personally but it will be a central forward

MegadrivePerson

Genuinely can't believe the scousers have moved in and got this transfer done whilst I was sleeping.

I thought it was only a matter of time before we signed him! Liverpool haven't even been linked with him!

I'm worried that Ten Hag isn't the sort of manager that likes being played for a fool and might start to consider his future at the club if we are losing players to our biggest rivals.

This is a very painful one to lose! Just got to hope he completely flops now!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Could end up embarrassing myself, but I’m quite happy we didn’t sign him and this is the end of him being linked with us.

I don’t think he solves our CF/no 9 problem, and he’s not better than Rashford on the left (IMO).

I think Depay would be a better fit at the moment, especially if we can force a free transfer out of it.
Which tells you all you need to know about Gakpo when Depay is still a better option, without a transfer fee as well. Enough of signing "can play as CF" kind of players. We dont need another Donny. Afraid of missing out on a talent and then struggling to find whats hes really good at to make him a first teamer.

Sigma501

Supports
Football
Depay will come with Monster wages and an even bigger ego, having just got rid of one large ego, I don’t think that Utd need another one in the dressing room.

ETH has shown that he has the Management skills and hard edge to deal with it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
But someone said we don't have money?
And someone else said we never considered him a serious target?
And this one says we didn't want to pay as much upfront?

Almost as if none of them know anything.
We have depleted cash reserves, so this is probably true. We'd never be paying a big chunk up front.

kaku06

While Liverpool are slowly building up a solid squad with 15-20 proven world class players like City, some in here are saying no problem we have Elanga and Garnacho.
If Liverpool gets Bellingham also we can forget about catching up on them for the next many years
Didn’t care about Gakpo. Don’t care about Bellingham. If Liverpool are happy to spend 100-150m on Bellingham then I would be as happy as them.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I'm not disputing our transfers aren't often protracted, but there was literally an example from the summer where we got a deal done quickly without months of rumours. Casemiro was a seperate transfer from de Jong.

Another example was when we signed Van de Beek. Perhaps an indicator that getting a deal done quickly isn't always the measure of a successful transfer. An easy deal doesn't necessarily mean the right deal.
I understand, what I’m saying is Casemiro wasn’t out main target, De Jong was, we will probably sign Memphis now really quickly too.

jeepers

Which tells you all you need to know about Gakpo when Depay is still a better option, without a transfer fee as well. Enough of signing "can play as CF" kind of players. We dont need another Donny. Afraid of missing out on a talent and then struggling to find whats hes really good at to make him a first teamer.
I would rather drop money on Kudus if we were looking for an attacker who can play across the front three. I think he would be a better CF/False 9 than Gakpo. But as you say, we are better off focusing on what we need.

TheReligion

Abusive
Genuinely can't believe the scousers have moved in and got this transfer done whilst I was sleeping.

I thought it was only a matter of time before we signed him! Liverpool haven't even been linked with him!

I'm worried that Ten Hag isn't the sort of manager that likes being played for a fool and might start to consider his future at the club if we are losing players to our biggest rivals.

This is a very painful one to lose! Just got to hope he completely flops now!
This place is like knee jerk central :lol:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
You've read those tweets and feel like we have money?
Where have I said that?

My point was that everyone is basically taking shots in the dark and using this as a stick to beat Utd with.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Sancho is good back up on both sides although Garnacho could completely block Sancho on the left. Right now in Rashford, Antony, Sancho and Garnacho we’re the strongest we’ve been out wide in years so a fully fit striker to challenge/upgrade on Martial is the priority.
Exactly this. A proper number 9 to challenge Martial and our attack is in a very healthy state. Even Amad could be an option for a wide slot in a year or 2.

Far too much hysteria in there

Litch

We were never going to resolve our No 9 problem in Jan. All Gakpo gives us is yet another naturally wide player cutting in. We still need to resolve the current issues before adding to them. Too many question marks over current (wide) forwards to add another one so for me, no more bloody round pegs in square hole CF signings please. Lets sign someone who can 100% play the position even if he’s not the ultimate answer for now….but who could still be the back up to the right player in the future.

Nick7

Don’t believe a word of it. He went big on Gakpo to Utd 2 days ago. It’s a face saving exercise
I think it’s just a case of the club being pretty quiet. We were interested in Gakpo as an alternative to Antony in the summer, so some journos were pushing that right up until yesterday as there’s not much else floating about with regards to what the club want to do in Jan.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I mean Liverpool are being sold too.

That said I’d say it’s common sense to only buy essentials so to speak rather than wasting money on the wider squad.

I think we will get someone in personally but it will be a central forward
I also think it will be a loan or structured in a way that very little goes upfront. That’s why all those transfer rumours on the first page are irrelevant aside from Felix, there’s a potential loan there

Davie Moyes

Don’t believe a word of it. He went big on Gakpo to Utd 2 days ago. It’s a face saving exercise
Yep. He's face saving.

PSV have also said it's a record fee for them and more than being reported. In fact some places I've read have it pushed up to 60m euros i.e. somewhere like the £52-55m he was quoting when linking with Utd a couple of days ago.

kaku06

I wonder how much Ten Hag really wanted him
Not as much as the caf wanted him that’s for sure but they based their wantingness on how much ten hag wanted him. Now caf is furious thinking how much ten hag would be furious and thus, people are hoping he is okay and copes with it having hard time themselves doing so whilst Ten hag is just chilling at home watching compilation highlights of De jong.

Crimson King

I would rather drop money on Kudus if we were looking for an attacker who can play across the front three. I think he would be a better CF/False 9 than Gakpo. But as you say, we are better off focusing on what we need.
Kudus sees himself as CM, so not sure he'd solve our striker problem.

Also, good luck getting Ajax to depart with yet another player this season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This place is like knee jerk central :lol:
Incredible thing to say as well. Ten Hag has been backed to the hilt. Financially in the summer and in the Ronaldo fiasco. Even if he did want him, losing Gakpo is hardly a hill he'd be willing to die on.

Status
Not open for further replies.