Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Just saying that thinking Bramble would be some world class operator is vastly different from not predicting that a player who scored 6 in 41 for a side that creates boundless chances would become a goal a game scorer.
You’re the one who keeps mentioning the goal record! I never referred to it in my original post so I’m not sure of the relevance of it; you’re refuting an assertion that was never made.

I’m you weren’t one of the people who commented last summer, I just couldn’t resist a glib one-liner!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
City are about to splash the money on Paqueta when this guys easily better. What sense does that make.

OverratedOpinion

You’re the one who keeps mentioning the goal record! I never referred to it in my original post so I’m not sure of the relevance of it; you’re refuting an assertion that was never made.

I’m you weren’t one of the people who commented last summer, I just couldn’t resist a glib one-liner!
The goal record is obviously the biggest change. He always looked a good player in open play.

I don't think I was. I honestly can't remember. I always thought he was a good player. Seemed a bit of a random signing overall but not a bad one.

Basically what I'm saying is the major attention grabber is his goalscoring record and it would have been silly at the time to imagine he would go on and have this sort of return.

Superunknown

You can't really say much more than 'wow', really. Great stats and he looks like a very good player for Chelsea. Great work on their part for making this signing. I'm jealous really. Would love to see him at United. The question is how far can he really, really go.

Munkehboi

City are about to splash the money on Paqueta when this guys easily better. What sense does that make.
Didn't he openly want to leave City for regular playing time. Makes you wonder what would have happened if he stayed one more season and had a break through campaign instead of moving away to Chelsea. Maybe could have displaced Bernado Silva?

meninred

This is what Ten Haag thinks Anthony would be if you can see the "big picture"

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think that's the first perfect hat trick I've seen live. Marvelous performance sadly.

OverratedOpinion

Didn't he openly want to leave City for regular playing time. Makes you wonder what would have happened if he stayed one more season and had a break through campaign instead of moving away to Chelsea. Maybe could have displaced Bernado Silva?
Bernado Silva is a far, far better player for what City need in that position. He would have had the exact role he had historically at City.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Plus 9 assists. 29 direct goal contributions in 28 games. All whilst playing for a mediocre Chelsea team.
He’s good, obviously a quality player, but the pens make him look a lot better than he might look in a season or two. We’ve been there with Bruno, and also having bought a lot of penalty takers to the club at the same time previously under Jose. It won’t be close to sustainable.

If Chelsea had gone with a different penalty taker for whatever reason, he’d be on 11 non-penalty goals in the league, which is good, but still four less than Bowen, and only one more than Jackson and Richarlison. It’s six less than Rashford got last year, for instance, and four less than Ødegaard.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He’s good, obviously a quality player, but the pens make him look a lot better than he might look in a season or two. We’ve been there with Bruno, and also having bought a lot of penalty takers to the club at the same time previously under Jose. It won’t be close to sustainable.

If Chelsea had gone with a different penalty taker for whatever reason, he’d be on 11 non-penalty goals in the league, which is good, but still four less than Bowen, and only one more than Jackson and Richarlison. It’s six less than Rashford got last year, for instance, and four less than Ødegaard.
No one’s taking his penalties off him? Even if he’s already scored 2 or 3 in the match. “MINE”

OverratedOpinion

The Bruno comparison is apt. I don't mean to be unkind as he is a good player (as is Bruno) but a season where you get an unexpected number of penalties like we had with Bruno is extremely helpful. Not just in your overall tally but it helps you penalty taker hugely confidence wise as they don't often face long spells without scoring.

OverratedOpinion

No one’s taking his penalties off him? Even if he’s already scored 2 or 3 in the match. “MINE”

Watching a bang average striker throw a tantrum about not being allowed to take a penalty when he didn't have the courage to set down the marker and demand penalties earlier in the season is amusing. Terrible look for Jackson.

Munkehboi

Bernado Silva is a far, far better player for what City need in that position. He would have had the exact role he had historically at City.
I'm don't follow City or Chelsea enough to know so thanks for your take. I'm basically trying to compare an apple with and apple but obviously I'm wrong. So are you saying he wouldn't be in the first XI at City now?

Revan

Assumptionman
Remember many Caf posters saying that we should demand for McTominay same money as what Chelsea paid for Palmer.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Weirdly I have not seen Jackson arguing to take the high pressure penalties that Palmer has taken this season.
I don't think he's argued to take any before tonight, high pressure or not The game was over and Palmer had already scored a hard trick.

He'd be the prem top scorer if he has scored the pens Palmer has, must be annoying for him!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Incredibly ballsy to witness that shit show between two petulant kids and still go and take the ball, then put it away.

He’s such a calm footballer. Big fan.

OverratedOpinion

I'm don't follow City or Chelsea enough to know so thanks for your take. I'm basically trying to compare an apple with and apple but obviously I'm wrong. So are you saying he wouldn't be in the first XI at City now?
I wouldn't imagine he would be in the starting line up no.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Well they play totally different positions.
Do they? They can both play central and both can play wide. Paqueta plays central for Brazil and has done for West Ham before and palmer played wide against us a few week ago. There not that different. Why would city want Paqueta when they have Grealish, Doku, Bernardo and even Fodan for the wide positions?

OverratedOpinion

I don't think he's argued to take any before tonight, high pressure or not The game was over and Palmer had already scored a hard trick.

He'd be the prem top scorer if he has scored the pens Palmer has, must be annoying for him!
So then he doesn't want to be the penalty taker and face the pressure that comes with it but just wants to throw a tantrum when the player who has accepted that responsibility won't just hand it over to him because he has already scored a hat trick?

Slightly embarassing for Jackson.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Still though, penalties are about consistency, you want to be taking them all if you have been already.

Embarrassing from Jackson and Madueke.

didz

Bloody Jason Wilcox.

He convinced City to keep Palmer on at 16. We could have been signing him off MK Dons for £4.99 in the summer if our incoming technical director hadn't stepped in. Should be sacked as soon as he gets in the building.

ROFLUTION

Fecking hell. 20 goals and the joint topscorer now.

This seems like Bruno's breakthrough season here with us or one of Lampard's great seasons. Palmer will definitely better Bruno's best. (Bruno 18+14 ga vs 20+10 ga Palmer)

OverratedOpinion

Do they? They can both play central and both can play wide. Paqueta plays central for Brazil and has done for West Ham before and palmer played wide against us a few week ago. There not that different. Why would city want Paqueta when they have Grealish, Doku, Bernardo and even Fodan for the wide positions?
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

They play on literal opposite areas of the pitch.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/lucas-paqueta/839981#tab:statistics

https://www.sofascore.com/player/cole-palmer/982780#tab:statistics

There are their heatmaps. One plays far deeper and drifts exclusively to the left and the other plays much further forward and only on the right.

Castia

City just casually having one of the best players in the prem knocking about in their reserves

Mental

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t think even Nick Jonas scored 20 in the league for these.

arthurka

To think that we funded his signing with a "shrewd" signing of a player on his last year of his contract for 60m. Our new number 7 has how many goals?

Oranges038

He could be top scorer if he could finish consistently.

JogaBonitoRooney

He should have let others take the pen if he's already got a hat trick and the game is wrapped up. Selfish from him.