Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Dan_F

Doku is alright, Kovacic and Nunez though... I know different type but still think Palmer could play similar to Gundogan...
I’ve genuinely can’t see how he’ll ever fit into a Pep team. Every time I’m invested in a city game, ie vs us or Real the other day, I’m happy to see him come on. Sure he’ll have individual moments against shit teams like Luton I guess.

Ghirahim

Much like they sold Mount to us? Or the way we sold Ronaldo to Madrid?
Palmer to United? If I were a United fan I would be trilled if United signed Palmer. He's an exciting young player. He's too good for a small club like Chelsea.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
You take off the penalties and he has 12 goals. A very good total, but for me I am waiting until next season to predict what his ceiling might be as Chelsea presumably picks it up a bit. He would not necessarily be getting even bigger totals at a top 4 club. The current situation at Chelsea suits him. If I was his agent I would encourage him to stay where he is for now.

Pretty consistent performance so far, a good sign.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You take off the penalties and he has 12 goals. A very good total, but for me I am waiting until next season to predict what his ceiling might be as Chelsea presumably picks it up a bit. He would not necessarily be getting even bigger totals at a top 4 club. The current situation at Chelsea suits him. If I was his agent I would encourage him to stay where he is for now.

Why would you take away pens when some of them have been way harder to score than some of the actual goals he’s scored. Jackson scored 2 goals at the weekend, an open net tap in and a one v one, both goals were easier to score than a penalty but nobody would say lets take them away to make a point. It’s fine to say let’s see next season because that’s absolutely true and Palmer has to show he isn’t a one season wonder next season and beyond to be able to sit at the table with players like Saka and Foden. This season he’s got 26 goals (9 pens) and 13 assists in all comps with 3 games remaining. Hopefully he can get to 30 goals.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Why would you take away pens when some of them have been way harder to score than some of the actual goals he’s scored. Jackson scored 2 goals at the weekend, an open net tap in and a one v one, both goals were easier to score than a penalty but nobody would say lets take them away to make a point. It’s fine to say let’s see next season because that’s absolutely true and Palmer has to show he isn’t a one season wonder next season and beyond to be able to sit at the table with players like Saka and Foden. This season he’s got 26 goals (9 pens) and 13 assists in all comps with 3 games remaining. Hopefully he can get to 30 goals.
That’s actually a very good point.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That’s actually a very good point.
No it isn't :houllier:

The point of excluding penalties from such arguments is that they're random. Sure, you have to score them, but they have little to no relevance to a player's quality as a scorer

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea

Even if you take away the pens he still has 17 goals and 13 assists in all comps this season. (including City) In 45 games. And there's a lot to his game beyond statistics.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No it isn't :houllier:

The point of excluding penalties from such arguments is that they're random. Sure, you have to score them, but they have little to no relevance to a player's quality as a scorer
Chelsea average about 10 penalties per season the last half a dozen or so seasons. They’re way more frequent than open net tap ins for example. Someone has to score them. They’re random in the way they occur but we know there will be around 10 opportunities to take one each season and having a reliable taker is important. That’s the point.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I personally count penalties differently. I know Saka has 6, and I keep that in mind when I look at his numbers. Penalties are different. Anybody can knock them in regardless of position or even talent. There are mostly different components that work into penalties. Yes some goals are tap-ins but you have to read the game and be at the right spot at the right time, which is a key requirement for a marksman. There is a particular skill to that. (Even though sometimes it's just dumb luck).

But i think Cole's numbers even without the penalties are impressive for a full first season. Let's see how he does in his second season.

Bwuk

Palmer is brilliant and would start for any side in the league. Wish he was here. Called it when Chelsea signed him in this thread he'd be superb.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea average about 10 penalties per season the last half a dozen or so seasons. They’re way more frequent than open net tap ins for example. Someone has to score them. They’re random in the way they occur but we know there will be around 10 opportunities to take one each season and having a reliable taker is important. That’s the point.
Your club is a total anomaly then :eek: :eek: :eek:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Your club is a total anomaly then :eek: :eek: :eek:
It's in all comps btw, not just the league :)

One particular season Jorginho was our top scorer in the league just from scoring pens exclusively. I think he scored 9 goals that season in all comps. All pens.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I personally count penalties differently. I know Saka has 6, and I keep that in mind when I look at his numbers. Penalties are different. Anybody can knock them in regardless of position or even talent. There are mostly different components that work into penalties. Yes some goals are tap-ins but you have to read the game and be at the right spot at the right time, which is a key requirement for a marksman. There is a particular skill to that. (Even though sometimes it's just dumb luck).

But i think Cole's numbers even without the penalties are impressive for a full first season. Let's see how he does in his second season.
I don't really disagree with that. I just have a chip on my shoulder about people going out of their way to use the pens to somehow diminish Palmer's season, so my bad bro :)

As you say, even without the pens, it's been an unbelievable season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Your lot have had 18 last season if transfermarkt is right!
Yep! This season we've had 9 going by transfermarkt

A deeper look actually makes me think it's not an anomaly to have 10+ penalties per season for a big club actually and it's the >10 seasons that are the anomalies.

On the other hand, Palmer being on the pitch for and taking that many penalties is an anomaly yeah. Only Cristiano is comparable in that regard

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I don't really disagree with that. I just have a chip on my shoulder about people going out of their way to use the pens to somehow diminish Palmer's season, so my bad bro :)

As you say, even without the pens, it's been an unbelievable season.
That's why young players should always push for playing time. He showed promise at City but he has been able to flourish so far since his move. Next season should be interesting.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Goal of the month too. Not a bad April for him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That's why young players should always push for playing time. He showed promise at City but he has been able to flourish so far since his move. Next season should be interesting.
Absolutely. ESR needs to play as well. If unfortunlately he can't get it in Arsenal then he should leave for his development.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Childish nitpicking but I was just humored that you included number of pens in the goal summary after making a point about why they arent relevant to the goal discussion.

I agree with your overall point though.

Ghirahim

He's on his way to becoming world class. He reminds me of Leroy Sane in that he makes the game look easy.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Childish nitpicking but I was just humored that you included number of pens in the goal summary after making a point about why they arent relevant to the goal discussion.

I agree with your overall point though.
:D I did that for sake of the conversation. I prefer to just say x amount of goals without the need to separate the pens but that was just me being aware of the conversation I was a part of.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Absolutely. ESR needs to play as well. If unfortunlately he can't get it in Arsenal then he should leave for his development.
Yes, he needs to move on. Always had a soft spot for ESR, he seems like such a likeable bloke but he won't make it with us. The injuries haven't helped. Hope he still has a good career.

Ghirahim

I was just thinking he'll probably end up at Real Madrid. Real will probably be his next club.

Fallon d'Floor

Would he start for them? I dont think so.
He wouldn't suit their current system.

The don't need him anyway. That Turkish kid, Güler, is going to be a superstar if he stays fit and keeps progressing. He was injured for large spells.

Very impressive in recent games. 2 goals from 3 La Liga starts in a row.

Ghirahim

Would he start for them? I dont think so.
I disagree. The way he is playing at the moment he would walk into any side. He's on the cusp of being world class, and he's only 22. Kevin De Bruyne wasn't this good at that age.

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
well taken header for his goal today.

He definitely has an "it" factor kind of like Tomas Mueller. Just knows where and when to be around the goal