College Football 2021/22

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
A one loss B1G team is 100% getting in over Cincy is what I gather from that.

Not worried about OU’s current place; we have no room to complain.
Ohio State's best win is over Penn State. Cincy beat ND AT ND. Money will always be the most important thing for these feckers.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Half the Denver scouting department is in Mississippi today for Malik Willis vs Corral at QB.

Willis was a hipster pick for first overall over the summer, but from what I’ve heard is still has very raw. He’s your Trey Lance this year, kind of sorta.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Curious to know if this is 2000 Ravens/2013 Seahawks like or more 2019 Patriots who hadn't really played any good offenses when persons were claiming all-time great?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Curious to know if this is 2000 Ravens/2013 Seahawks like or more 2019 Patriots who hadn't really played any good offenses when persons were claiming all-time great?
That’s a good point. Shutting down Clemson ended up being not as impressive in retrospect, and the other traditional SEC powers they are facing until Bama aren’t doing so swell.

If I was an NFL GM though I’m taking that giant DT near the top of the draft and not looking back.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Damn, how far the FSU / Miami game has fallen. For about a decade from the 80s to the mid 90s, it basically decided the natty by who played in it, now it is an alternate regional game.

MrMarcello

Florida 70 / SAMFORD 52.

:lol:
Sarkisian says hold my beer.

KANSAS 57 / Texas 56 (OT)

Kansas was 1-8 on the season and had scored 136 points to date. At one point they lead by 21 points. They had never won in Austin.

This loss alone is a fireable offense and I suspect the coach would be fired if this was not his first season after Texas had paid off the prior staff to bring in yet another shit hire. It makes one wonder if the players are not putting in effort as perhaps there is a rift with the staff. There were reports that WR Joshua Moore and Sark had a heated verbal altercation earlier this month.

Some more numbers that should see Sarkisian shown the back door tomorrow morning.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...nghorns-losing-streak-hits-5-games-first-1956
0: Kansas entered Saturday 0-100 as an underdog of at least 24 points since the FBS/FCS split in 1978, by far the worst in the FBS over that stretch
2: Wins in last 5 games vs. Texas for Kansas, which was 2-13 all time against the Longhorns and had lost 13 straight prior to then
5: Straight losses for Texas, longest skid in last 65 seasons and tied for third longest in school history
6: TD passes for Texas' Casey Thompson, which tie Colt McCoy for most in a single game in school history
18: Consecutive conference losses for Kansas prior to Saturday, tied for longest in FBS
21: Consecutive losses for Kansas vs. FBS teams prior to Saturday, longest active streak in FBS
56: Texas points in the loss, most in school history
57: Kansas points in a road game, most in school history
79: Texas entered Saturday 79-0 as a favorite of at least 24 points since the FBS/FCS split in 1978

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'd say the 01 Canes, 05 Longhorns, 19 LSU, & 20 Bama are among the best. Believe last year's Bama team matched the 01 Canes in terms of number of 1st rounders.
I would add that 95 Nebraska team. Not sure they would be dominate now but oh man they beat the ever loving shit out of UF in their bowl game. I remember watching them in awe whenever they were on TV that year.

Frazier was amazing and who knows what he could have done in the NFL if not for the blood clots.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think they covered that team in The U.
The Catholics vs. Convicts (88 ND game) one was great too.
Yeah I knew I watched it somewhere. Going to start digging up more CF docs. I rewatched the OSU - UM game from 2006 (#1 vs #2) a few days ago.

I'd say the 01 Canes, 05 Longhorns, 19 LSU, & 20 Bama are among the best. Believe last year's Bama team matched the 01 Canes in terms of number of 1st rounders.
Were the 05 Longhorns that good, or did they achieve that status simply for toppling USC?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Were the 05 Longhorns that good, or did they achieve that status simply for toppling USC?
I was going to say no, but they did average over 50 points and allow only ~16. I’m seeing them ranked amongst the best teams of all time consistently in the top 10.

They get docked points for their great rival OU robbing them of a great victory by blowing chunks that year.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah I knew I watched it somewhere. Going to start digging up more CF docs. I rewatched the OSU - UM game from 2006 (#1 vs #2) a few days ago.

Reminds of this old debate

MrMarcello

Yes, even with my bias. Remember, every fecking outlet was going into that game talking about 2005 USC as the greatest side ever. Ever. Every dog can have its day but this wasn't some 1/100 times upset like say NYG over NE in SB XLII. Both teams were stacked and had ran riot over most foes.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yes, even with my bias. Remember, every fecking outlet was going into that game talking about 2005 USC as the greatest side ever. Ever. Every dog can have its day but this wasn't some 1/100 times upset like say NYG over NE in SB XLII. Both teams were stacked and had ran riot over most foes.
I agree as a fan on the other side of that game. Both teams were absolute juggernauts. I think we already debated that game in this thread or last years and came to an agreement that we disagreed over the better team :wenger:.

adexkola

Supports
This still happens! At least in context of that game, UT's merits get glossed over unfortunately.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I would add that 95 Nebraska team. Not sure they would be dominate now but oh man they beat the ever loving shit out of UF in their bowl game. I remember watching them in awe whenever they were on TV that year.

Frazier was amazing and who knows what he could have done in the NFL if not for the blood clots.
Wouldn't have played QB in the league due to the discrimination against black QBs back then. Charlie Ward won the Heisman two years prior & didn't even get drafted; he'd be a sure fire first rounder the past couple of years. Amazing how things can change.

Frazier would have been impactful as a RB, no doubt.

adexkola

Supports
Wouldn't have played QB in the league due to the discrimination against black QBs back then. Charlie Ward won the Heisman two years prior & didn't even get drafted; he'd be a sure fire first rounder the past couple of years. Amazing how things can change.

I had to do a double take and ensure he was talking about the 95' Nebraska team, not the 65' Nebraska team...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I had to do a double take and ensure he was talking about the 95' Nebraska team, not the 65' Nebraska team...
There were the anomalies like Cunningham & Ware, but AA QBs from non-pro style offenses had tough sledding to get into the NFL as late as the mid 90s due to many stereotypes still being around. Vick helped knock a lot of the stereotypes to dust in the early 00s, but there were numerous QBs who didn't get a shot or were made to change positions due to antiquated mindsets.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Wasn't that because Ward opted for the NBA ?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wasn't that because Ward opted for the NBA ?
He did say he wanted to be drafted in the first round like Ware, but consensus was that he would have gotten over being drafted in a later round & would have reported to camp, but only as a QB. Nothing too outlandish.

It was Bo Jackson-esque to a certain extent, but not nearly as black & white as Jackson.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He did say he wanted to be drafted in the first round like Ware, but consensus was that he would have gotten over being drafted in a later round & would have reported to camp, but only as a QB. Nothing too outlandish.

It was Bo Jackson-esque to a certain extent, but not nearly as black & white as Jackson.
For sure there was definitely some racial bias in his not being drafted but I also think it was a size bias too. He was listed at 6'2'' for the NBA but he measured 5'11" in the NFL combine (according to the LA Times). Back then QB's needed to be Marino-esque in size. Hell, Flutie had to toil in the CFL for years before he got his shot.