Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Jay Z lyrics sure do sound like a 17 year old who just discovered Robin Hood app.
What?! Maybe his tone of voice makes it sound like that, because it can be quite pitchy & whiny, but Jay-z is a masterful lyricist, to think anything else is just incorrect.
He's in the upper echelon of lyricists, his style is just more conversational & casual so it can go over a lot of people's heads quite easily if they don't pay attention.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Nas
Jay-Z
Tupac
Kool G Rap
Styles P
Ghostface
Common
Scarface
Rakim
Redman
Eminem
Az
Jadakiss
Big Pun
Big L
Andre 3000
Lauryn Hill
Mos def
Kendrick Lamar
Drake
There's a lot I like here, I wouldn't have Common or Lauryn in there, Mos might fall off too considering his lack of consistency too.
The Biggie omission is huge though. I'd have Black Thought & Ice Cube in there too, but yeah pretty similar to what mine would look like.

lsd

The Oracle
Nas
Jay-Z
Tupac
Kool G Rap
Styles P
Ghostface
Common
Scarface
Rakim
Redman
Eminem
Az
Jadakiss
Big Pun
Big L
Andre 3000
Lauryn Hill
Mos def
Kendrick Lamar
Drake
I would mostly agree to be fair. I would also have Styles P above Jadakiss and I wouldn't have Biggie or Jay Z in as I personally find them too poppy for my taste same as Drake actually

I might have Rick Ross in my top 20 as he may be full of BS but I do like his music when I'm the mood.

Nas
Pac
Kendrick
Ice Cube
Scarface
Andre 3000
Common
Styles P
J Cole
Rakim
Lauryn Hill
AZ
Q Tip
Jadakiss
Big Pun
Vince Staples
Asap Rocky
Rick Ross
Mos Def
Guru

Conor

I sort of reckon Nas is the best rapper. He's not my favourite, he doesn't have the best albums, or the most sales or the most success, but if you measure a rapper by his use of words and the style with which he delivers those words, then there is no one better than him. Forget any top 5 placation.
Whatever about the best(I'd be happy to agree), I'm not sure anything could ever top what he did, writing Illmatic as a teenager.

Roosney

I'm not sure some here have actually listened to Jay Z outside of some radio hits. Some crazy comments.
I've never heard a Hov verse that's really really good. Nothing but random catchy lines and braggadocio. In one ear out the other. Also to me he has always sounded like a witty notebook crook.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm not sure some here have actually listened to Jay Z outside of some radio hits. Some crazy comments.

Yeah if you like pop rap like Drake he is right up there. He has made a career of churning out commercial rap and fake boasts about selling more dope than Escobar and now he is known as Mr Beyonce.

He is proof that you can sell millions be super rich yet not really very good or original

youngrell

I've never heard a Hov verse that's really really good. Nothing but random catchy lines and braggadocio. In one ear out the other. Also to me he has always sounded like a witty notebook crook.
Yeah if you like pop rap like Drake he is right up there. He has made a career of churning out commercial rap and fake boasts about selling more dope than Escobar and now he is known as Mr Beyonce.

He is proof that you can sell millions be super rich yet not really very good or original
You guys couldn’t have proven my point more spectacularly.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm going to post this here in hope that it cures some people.

The only good part in that is Nas and that proves my point. Jay has everything you could want except the respect Nas has as a rapper and that kills him

Jay was so consumed with envy of Nas he waited till Nas was mourning his mother's death before attacking him thinking he wouldnt be able to hit back

Then when when he got ethered he cried on live radio you cant be a great when you cry on radio

Pickle85

I forgot biggie he’s somewhere in the Top 10. Black thought Lupe Fiasco and Pharoahe Monch are three I rate highly especially lyrically that would miss out.
It's a solid list. Yeah big fan of Pharaoh too. Never heard of Lupe Fiasco. I think Method Man and Dre would be in mine too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The only good part in that is Nas and that proves my point. Jay has everything you could want except the respect Nas has as a rapper and that kills him

Jay was so consumed with envy of Nas he waited till Nas was mourning his mother's death before attacking him thinking he wouldnt be able to hit back

Then when when he got ethered he cried on live radio you cant be a great when you cry on radio
Nas got at Jay first during his little back and forth with Bleek.

JP77

Jay Z is a legend in the game. Understandable if somebody doesn't rate him as the best but to act like he's not good is madness. He's not in my top 5 personally but definitely belongs up there in the conversation with some of the best.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think there's a particular style of rap that's appreciated on here, and deviation from that style gets massively underrated or even slated.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's a solid list. Yeah big fan of Pharaoh too. Never heard of Lupe Fiasco. I think Method Man and Dre would be in mine too.
Versatile, super lyrical, creative song writer. Also raps about skateboards and dinosaurs so will always be overlooked by the mainstream.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think there's a particular style of rap that's appreciated on here, and deviation from that style gets massively underrated or even slated.
It's very dusty and timberland boots in here...

100% agree.

I also feel that people underrate Method Man.
True! Can argue he has the best solo run in the collective after Ghostface

lsd

The Oracle
Nas got at Jay first during his little back and forth with Bleek.

Yeah they were taking subliminals at each other but i just think it was really low for Jay to then go and name him the way he did at that time in Nas's life because he thought it would be an easy win.

Then you get the fact he did it on what was really a Mobb Deep diss because he thought they were close when in reality Mobb Deep and Nas were going through some street beef. If Jay was really the king of the streets he kept claiming wouldn't he have known that?

To be honest i think what hurt him the most was Nas calling him a Stan because he really was obsessed to the point of going with Nas's ex wife. Like what was that s
About ? Was he going to try on Nas's old outfits too?

Just always seemed very strange.

Still they seem to be ok with each other now

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If I speak, I'm in big big trouble.

But anyway, it's controversial, but I think Luda has a case for the top 20, top 30 for sure.
I was debating putting him in my list. Really underrated. I prefer him to a lot of other rappers from the south

lsd

The Oracle
If I speak, I'm in big big trouble.

But anyway, it's controversial, but I think Luda has a case for the top 20, top 30 for sure.

Oh good shout prime Luda was amazing. Never really delivered a great album but he had some great songs and the best punchlines

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Jay Z is a legend in the game. Understandable if somebody doesn't rate him as the best but to act like he's not good is madness. He's not in my top 5 personally but definitely belongs up there in the conversation with some of the best.
I don't particularly like him but taking bias out he should be top 20.

JP77

Could make a massive list on underrated rappers. 50 is up there for me, at his peak back in the day he was brilliant.

Snoop has done so much over the years and brought out so many random albums and become a huge character on TV/media that people forget how good he once was. Peak Snoop on Doggystyle is tough to top for me, still stands up as maybe the greatest album in rap.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If the likes of Drake and Lauryn Hill are being put in these lists Cube and Game should be too, I mean Cube would make most top 5s. Although Lupe has been mentioned he should be in the conversation for t20 too.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Exactly this, really bizarre posts around here.