Comparing the three Ronaldos

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Ronaldo Lima and Cristiano were cool.

But none of them were "got his own football video game in nintendo 64" cool
Ronaldo had V-Ronaldo Football on PS

Also R9 used to be called Ronaldinho when he was young - there were 2 ronaldo's in the national team back then - mid90s
Tha'ts Ronaldo's game for n64 not Ronaldinho's
edit: it's apparently a modded game

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
R10 is the Joga Bonito cartoon for children everywhere, pure football joy at his best.

CR7 is a robocop, some of his goals are stunning (the header vs Sampdoria is a late career marvel).

R9... folks... have a look at the videos from when his knees were healthy... have a look at his acceleration and the control skill compared to the opponents (many many top defenders in mid to late 90s, and just annihilated) ... I’m still terrified, my dad is still terrified and Juve had top Del Piero in that infamous 1997-98 season.....

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Terrified of Ronaldo is still the best way of describing what he was like.

I remember being distraught in 99 when we drew Inter cause I thought Ronaldo would destroy us. Thankfully he was injured and we were good enough anyway from a results point of view but the only reason I’d ever get up early on a Sunday was the watch Gazzetta to see what Ronaldo had done that week.

Cristiano is astonishing and still doesn’t get the credit he rightfully deserves and he’ll be forever in the running for being the GOAT when all is said and done because fhe plaudits he gets now will double and triple in retirement as the nostalgia and red tinted glasses get applied (that the other two benefit from now) but he’s had to work to be the player he is. I don’t think either of the other two did ‘work’ at all, they just were who they were.

You’d pay all the money in the world to watch Ronaldinho entertain you, he made watching football fun. I liked Barcelona when I was a kid because of R9 and then Rivaldo but Ronaldinho was available on Sky every week and I’d set aside time to just enjoy a game of football because he was magical.

Whereas Ronaldo in his early guise pre-injury (and arguably pre France 98 final) was someone you’d pay all the money in the universe to watch.

There’ll never be anyone SO electric, so powerful, so fast, so agile, so skilful and so deadly all at once. He was a force from another world and it was arguably the combination of everything that he was naturally that caused his injuries to be so bad. That pace and power couldn’t be contained. Cristiano is a freak of nature through sheer will and dedication and is a testament to that but Ronaldo was gifted that from the start.

el3mel

Everything considered, definitely Christiano Ronaldo wins this. Best career, best trophy cabinet, insane amount of goals in 3 top leagues, and was just as a complete player as it can get, especially during his late United years and early Madrid ones.

But in terms of who was more fun to watch then Ronaldinho and Brazilian Ronaldo. They had crazy skills with the ball and were just pure joy to watch. You can turn on a Barca game just to enjoy some Ronaldinho magic and for no other reason.

Brazilian Ronaldo was the complete striker in his peak but unfortunately injuries fecked him up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know it’s not cool to rate CR7 on here, but it’s got to be him IMO.

People are talking like he had no talent. When he came on against Bolton, before he entered beast mode, he had bags of skill and talent. He adapted his game to allow him to have his longevity.

Ronaldo was similar in a way. A lot of power and incredible at scoring goals for a few seasons.

I live in Barcelona, where they hate CR7, but I don’t think even the hardest Barça fan would even put Ronaldinho in the same bracket as CR7. Fun to watch and a great YouTube highlights man but often anonymous and ridiculously overrated by fans of other teams. Saying so would be like saying Andrew Henderson is a better footballer than Cristiano.
You've got to be kidding. After Portugal fans, United fans are right up there with RM fans in their adoration for Ronaldo.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I rate Ronaldo higher than Ronaldo, then the other Ronaldo too.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I have a ronaldo related question.

I have heard lots of brazilian pronunciations of names beginning with R as 'H'.

Have we been saying Ronaldo and Ronaldinho wrong all along? Is it 'Honaldo' ?
Honowdu and Honowjeenyu are the best English transliterations of how Brazilians would say their names.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People seem to think skill on the ball is the only way of judging a players ability.

C Ronaldo has great dribbling and skill abilities that people forget he purposely toned down to become the most goals scored player of all time. If he wanted to I'm sure he could still dribble around and do some skills around a person's foot but it wouldn't last as long as the decade C Ronaldo was trying to make his imprint on. Ronaldinho was skillfully amazing but that was hardly anything longer than 3 years at max to the point he could hardly do anything at AC milan for example. Compare that to Ronaldo and he is going at 35 st Juventus whilst all the other players are half dead by the age of 32.

C Ronaldo has dribbling skills, towering heading skills, long distance shots, finesse shots, skilfully shots like bycicle kicks, flair, crossing abilities etc.

The only thing he might have lacked was some passing skills but he was always one of the furthest players forward and was fundamental in changing the game to inside forwards tactic we see today.

The Brazilian Ronaldo's were amazing too and had good combination of abilities - but just because they played in this skillfully adoring way doesnt make them the most capable on a football pitch. If anything C Ronaldo showed it could be toned down to provide a level of perfection to other aspects of a players game that is enable to conquer multiple teams and leagues.

Steve Bruce

Ronaldinho was the most unpredictable and creative, but many people say that the Ronaldo of Barcelona and Inter could dribble and do basically anything with the ball at insane pace.

The Cristiano of Manchester had a little bit of Ronaldo's pace and Ronaldinho's creativity but I wouldn't pick him ahead of the brazilians even though he had the better career
So you wouldn't pick the Ronaldo who's won more, scored more, created more, had an 18 year career at the very top & still going over the 2 that had a career peak that barely lasted 10 years between them? Riiiiiight ok

Total nonsense to me. CR7 is the real phenomenon out of the 3 & he has had a career them other 2 could only dream of, the only thing CR7 hasn't got is the Brazilian nationality to win World cups

The lack if appreciation for how great Ronaldo is, is astonishing. At this rate he'll barely be in the top 20 greatest players

OmarUnited4ever

Luis Ronaldo as many alluded to had the frightening pace coupled with skill, probably the only player ever to be able to do stepovers at high speed (others would do it a either at stand still or jogging pace), Luis Ronaldo was so explosive and powerful that he would breeze through defenders, and he would twist and turn while running at top speed, this definitely was not sustainable style of play as it placed tremendous pressure on his knees & joints, had he hadn't injured his knees he would have reached heights that one can only imagine, his come back from one of the most horrific knee injuries is also a testament to his dedication and hard work, he toned out his crazy style of play but remained very effective for 4 years a Real Madrid, scoring plenty of goals and winning La Liga, his weight gain issue was also due to an illness that caused slow metabolism, but still while he was strugling during his time in Madrid, he was still very fast, not as fast as his pre-injury.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Ronaldinho is one of the most talented players ever. Unfortunately he didn’t have the dedication to football. He basically played the game, as he’d always played it in Brazil. Brilliant to watch and totally unpredictable. At his prime, we won’t have seen many like him. Unfortunately he was as dedicated to partying. I was advised by a physiologist that worked with Barcelona, that one of the reasons he was moved on from them, is that they were concerned he’d be a bad influence on a young Messi.

Ronaldo was a feared predator as a forward, quick, powerful, brilliant close control, would score with both feet and his head. It’s was a shame to see how his career crashed and burned. People around him didn’t help the situation.

Cristiano Ronaldo is without doubt the best of the three though. Even taking out his longevity, his goal scoring record, trophy cabinet and dedication to football ensure this. The fact he’s won so many Ballon Dors, when he’s arguably played in the same era as the worlds greatest ever other player only goes further to strengthening this argument.

The one that burned out to soon was Adriano, all the talent of the first two. Something about Brazilians.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So you wouldn't pick the Ronaldo who's won more, scored more, created more, had an 18 year career at the very top & still going over the 2 that had a career peak that barely lasted 10 years between them? Riiiiiight ok

Total nonsense to me. CR7 is the real phenomenon out of the 3 & he has had a career them other 2 could only dream of, the only thing CR7 hasn't got is the Brazilian nationality to win World cups

The lack if appreciation for how great Ronaldo is, is astonishing. At this rate he'll barely be in the top 20 greatest players
The thread is asking about their ability and not their application of it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cristiano - greatest match winner / goalscorer (last for 15+ years)
L.Ronaldo - phenomenal performer (last for 2-4 years)
Ronaldinho - most impressive entertainer (last for 2-3 years)

Each are greatest on their own right:

There’s no other player who has bigger impact to win games and competitions and score goals better than Cristiano throughout his career. It last for 15+ years too.

There’s no other player who enter the football scene in such phenomenal way like L.Ronaldo. At age 19-21, people are already comparing him to Pele and Maradona. But it last for only around 2-4 years.

There’s no better entertainer than Ronaldinho in the way he plays football with such extraordinary flair, skills and imaginations. But it last for max 2-3 years.

If we compare every aspect of their gane

Goalscoring/finishing/shooting
Cristiano 10/10
L.Ronaldo 9.5/10
Ronaldinho 8/10

Skills/Dribbling/technique
L.Ronaldo 9.5/10
Ronaldinho 9.5/10
Cristiano 8.5/10

Creativity/passing/assists
Ronaldinho 9.5/10
Cristiano 8/10
L.Ronaldo 7/10

Physicality/pace/athleticism
L.Ronaldo 10/10
Cristiano 10/10
Ronaldinho 7.5/10

Consistency/Longetivity/lasting of peak form
Cristiano 10/10
L.Ronaldo 7.5/10
Ronaldinho 6/10

Mentality/determination/composure
Cristiano 10/10
L.Ronaldo 8/10
Ronaldinho 7/10

Total rating:
1. Cristiano 56
2. L.Ronaldo 51.5
3. Ronaldinho 46.5

Cristiano wins by large margin.

Last edited:

Bogdannn

Cristiano comfortably. Then Ronaldo. Ronaldinho was brilliant to watch but levels below those two.
This is about who's got more talent, not who do you think it's better. Cristiano is comfortably 3rd place. :lol:

Lewnited

It's impossible to even answer this question as what constitutes 'ability' is arbitrary. For me it's not just about the categories mentioned in the OP but also how well you read and understand the game, your composure, versatility, chosing to make the correct runs and so on. And that's before even touching on physical attributes. Cristiano has this won in most metrics, and when he doesn't he's never far off. Ultimately, ability isn't just what you can do on the ball.

Though asking who is best at expressing themselves on a football pitch is an entirely different argument.

Steve Bruce

The thread is asking about their ability and not their application of it.
Oh in that case, since we're ignoring how good a footballer actually is, I think Dan Magness is the best, he's got the world record for keepy uppys & as a freestyler can & has done things that the 3 ronaldos haven't done.

This is a stupid thread.

Bwuk

This is about who's got more talent, not who do you think it's better. Cristiano is comfortably 3rd place. :lol:
I don't think any top football manager would have Ronaldo or Ronaldinho ahead of Cristiano.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Love Cristiano obviously but Radolno was a force of nature.

19 for Velocita, 18 for Attaco. Even if things weren't going his way, his ridiculously high Positivo meant he could turn any game around.

Bogdannn

I don't think any top football manager would have Ronaldo or Ronaldinho ahead of Cristiano.
In terms of pure talent, they all would. Many would also choose them over him if we are talking about peak versions.

Luke1995

Should Ronaldinho have done more for Milan ? It's baffling to me that at 30 he was ''phased out'' by Allegri as he was still playing well, but inconsistency marked his time at Milan.

In the first season he started well, very motivated, but in the middle of the season Ancelotti benched him more. Ocasionally he would still play from the start but without a long run of games.

The second season was the one he played the most with coach Leonardo, but some moments he would do amazing things with the ball and other games he would be kept quiet. (Most notably, the game United won 4-0)

Then Ibrahimovic and Robinho came, and after a few months, he was back in Brazil.

He partied, but he did that at Barcelona aswell...

dal

Unpredictability etc for Ronaldinho, goals and assists make you the best.

Ronaldo in euro 2006 was unbelievable I thought in terms of excitement, I do wish he kept that.

ForeverRed1

Cristiano is the best. Still the best at 35. Probably going to play until he’s 40.

Most individual trophies, club trophies.Won the euros with portugal. He’s won it all bar the World Cup pretty much.

real top scorer, Portugal top scorer.Smashed it at united, smashing it at juve. Proven all over.

As good as the others were, cr7 has hit different heights.

Name a better athlete. I really don’t think there is one, he is the perfect athlete, a freak of a human.

The best.

R'hllor

When it comes to that real football shit, Ronaldinho miles ahead, only one even worth to pay money to watch live.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Old myth that CR7 is not naturally gifted or talented. What is natural talent anyway? Isn't it something like a natural ability to perform above your peers without what you learn from the world? In other words, an increased sense in that activity due to higher intelligence, kinesthethic ability and physical suitability.

How do you measure it? How do you know that Ronaldinho's flair wasn't due to his upbringing in favella and playing with tons of kids in tiny spaces? Or that fat Ronaldo's control and tricks came alot from his futsal background? Both of them surely had very interesting natural abilities. Such as an intelligent brain that allowed them to think faster but also a fabulous physique. Ronaldinho as well, despite slower, had a very good morphology that gave him supreme agility and his body coordination (kinesthetic ability) was even greater than the other 2.

CR7 however, had also a formidable physique although different. Frightning pace, quick feet and excellent coordination. Nevertheless, he biggest difference between the 3, besides their obvious characteristics and style is that CR7 showed a remarkable ability to change and evolve. The two Brazilian didn't improve much after their early 20's and declined very early. That capacity to change is also a sign of great natural ability. How many players did that?

Last but not least, the sheer greatness of being. Yes CR7 is a much greater player than them. He is in the same bracket as Messi, Maradona, Pele, Best, Zidane, etc. Players that were born to win and they simply do.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Cristiano is the best. Still the best at 35. Probably going to play until he’s 40.

Most individual trophies, club trophies.Won the euros with portugal. He’s won it all bar the World Cup pretty much.

real top scorer, Portugal top scorer.Smashed it at united, smashing it at juve. Proven all over.

As good as the others were, cr7 has hit different heights.

Name a better athlete. I really don’t think there is one, he is the perfect athlete, a freak of a human.

The best.
We're talking about ability here not achievements won.
Peak R9 and R10 were something else compared to CR.
R10 especially was a joy to watch and most people watched Barca matches just because of him cause they know he was gonna do something amazing - crazy skill, pass, goal...
At his peak he was just amazing to watch the excitement he brought to the game.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Old myth that CR7 is not naturally gifted or talented. What is natural talent anyway? Isn't it something like a natural ability to perform above your peers without what you learn from the world? In other words, an increased sense in that activity due to higher intelligence, kinesthethic ability and physical suitability.

How do you measure it? How do you know that Ronaldinho's flair wasn't due to his upbringing in favella and playing with tons of kids in tiny spaces? Or that fat Ronaldo's control and tricks came alot from his futsal background? Both of them surely had very interesting natural abilities. Such as an intelligent brain that allowed them to think faster but also a fabulous physique. Ronaldinho as well, despite slower, had a very good morphology that gave him supreme agility and his body coordination (kinesthetic ability) was even greater than the other 2.

CR7 however, had also a formidable physique although different. Frightning pace, quick feet and excellent coordination. Nevertheless, he biggest difference between the 3, besides their obvious characteristics and style is that CR7 showed a remarkable ability to change and evolve. The two Brazilian didn't improve much after their early 20's and declined very early. That capacity to change is also a sign of great natural ability. How many players did that?

Last but not least, the sheer greatness of being. Yes CR7 is a much greater player than them. He is in the same bracket as Messi, Maradona, Pele, Best, Zidane, etc. Players that were born to win and they simply do.

Bingo.

People see skill and assume it's the best way of drawing out a players ability. What about heading the ball? C Ronaldo was arguably the best. What about long shots? What about his skillful dribbles he had at a younger age that he toned down to be a goalscoring winger? What about all the poachers goals? What about the ability to go from a player that could get past players by pure skill to a player that scores bycicle kicks in UCL? What about the mental ability? What about the crossing abilities he had at United?

If people asked who the most skillful player of all time I'd say Ronaldinho - but skill & dribbling abilities is not my way of deciding who has the most ability as a footballer as it is only a single ability in itself.

It's why I rate C Ronaldo over Ronaldinho and Messi because a players skill is just a single aspect of the game. The people who disagree value it the other way around and find C Ronaldo lower down the table and everyone else.

RooneyLegend

The boring part in sport is stats. Why? People try to take them in isolation. Stats are influenced by the environment hence why I hate cross comparing players through different eras. I'm all for a Messi vs Cristiano comparison (I'm on the Cristiano side btw) but these ones basically don't make sense.

Football in a short space of time has changed in such a big way that it's difficult to take stats into account. Lewandowski is about to reel off his 6th consecutive season of scoring 40+ goals but I don't think he'd be able to do that if he was playing in a not so dominant team.

All you can really compare imo is ability. In terms of that R9 had a game changing capability the others dont. He could literally make something happen out of thin air.

Krits

If you asked me who I would pay to go watch play football. It would be Ronaldinho every single time. He was the only player in the world that made me want to watch another team play consistently.

I couldn’t care two hoots about who had a better career.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
What i loved about fat Ronaldo is that he could be roughed up by the opposition, but still brush himself down and go on to score a banger right past the offending player. I would love to see this quality in our soft boy Martial..

ForeverRed1

We're talking about ability here not achievements won.
Peak R9 and R10 were something else compared to CR.
R10 especially was a joy to watch and most people watched Barca matches just because of him cause they know he was gonna do something amazing - crazy skill, pass, goal...
At his peak he was just amazing to watch the excitement he brought to the game.
Ronaldinho is actually my fave non united player, personally, loved him. So skilful it was frightening.

But to me c Ronaldo just has so much to his game.

would he have won the individual records if it wasn’t for his ability?
Would the teams he played in have won as much without him? His ability has got him where he is but also mentality and fitness should be taken into account because he puts himself in that position. It’s all part of what makes the complete player.

I remember him at united and it was just unbelievable. Brave, skilful, two footed, Arial threat unreal, composure beyond his years, vision, set pieces. Literally could do it all. He was just a joy to watch. 80million for him was a steal for Real Madrid.

I think because he has adapted his game and has done for a while, many forget how incredible he actually was at his very best.

Possibly the best player I have ever seen in a united shirt.

The 3 Ronaldos are all incredible but cr will be considered the best in 20/30/40 years time.
Just my opinion of course :D

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Our Ronaldo is definitely the least naturally gifted of the three, but absolutely maximised his ability, with incredible longevity.

Ronaldo very unlucky with injuries, and Ronaldinho had a couple of top level seasons, without the numbers of the other two, but was too busy partying by his late to mid 20s.

ForeverRed1

Our Ronaldo is definitely the least naturally gifted of the three, but absolutely maximised his ability, with incredible longevity.

Ronaldo very unlucky with injuries, and Ronaldinho had a couple of top level seasons, without the numbers of the other two, but was too busy partying by his late to mid 20s.
I think because of how he has adapted his game, people forget how skilful and dynamic c Ronaldo actually was when at his best. He was immense for us, absolute beast. Two footed, could dribble, skillful, Arial threat, scored goals, created goals, set pieces, just so so so good.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think because of how he has adapted his game, people forget how skilful and dynamic c Ronaldo actually was when at his best. He was immense for us, absolute beast. Two footed, could dribble, skillful, Arial threat, scored goals, created goals, set pieces, just so so so good.
Yes, I'm not playing down his natural ability, which was high.
But the other two were two of the most skilful of all time. "Original" Ronaldo used to run in goals from the half way line regularly and be-wilder defenders in a league famous for top defenders.
Ronaldinho was an amazing magician

Polar

CR07 - Dedicated, professional, deadly passings and finishing. The best all rounder off them.

Ronaldo - The most extreme of them. Crazy speed and explosiveness. Almost impossible to stop when he was up in speed; like a train.

Ronaldinho - The best technical player of them, but I think he was less unique and extreme then the Ronaldos. Even though I rate him higher, he is closer to be compared with Neymar.

ForeverRed1

Yes, I'm not playing down his natural ability, which was high.
But the other two were two of the most skilful of all time. "Original" Ronaldo used to run in goals from the half way line regularly and be-wilder defenders in a league famous for top defenders.
Ronaldinho was an amazing magician
I still think c Ronaldo is the best of the three. When he retires I think people will realise and appreciate what a player he really is

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I still think c Ronaldo is the best of the three. When he retires I think people will realise and appreciate what a player he really is
Without any doubt he has the best record, and leaves the biggest legacy. That is impossible to argue.