Comparing the three Ronaldos

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Luke1995, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Oct 18, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Personally, I don't put that much weight on the question how long a footballer has produced. Yes, it is very, very impressive that Cristiano has sustained his level for so long but to me that's more of a side note. There comes a point when you've seen enough of a player to judge his quality and if he falls off a cliff afterwards that doesn't change how good he used to be. He has shown this level long enough to prove that it was not just a patch of good form but actual quality.
  2. Oct 18, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

Here’s the problem, they have also shown many average/shite performances for longer period of their career for me to consider them not as good overall too.

To the extreme case, perhaps not good example but will help illustrate my point. Its just like Rashford currently, when he is good he is exciting to watch, but when he is shite he is totally shite, and his shite performance happened far more often than the good ones, hence he is shite player to me, no matter how good his peak was. That’s how I rate things up.

I have seen far too many players with talented and look promising/amazing for a short period but can’t keep it up long, but I have seen far too less players who can maintain their peak/quality for very long period. Hence I don’t rate players with short peak but average performance for majority of their career at all. There too many of these players around.
  3. Oct 18, 2019

11101 Full Member

:lol:

Ok. The term GOAT was basically created by their fanboys.
  4. Oct 18, 2019

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

700 goals

But nah, he's boring to watch.

Only in caf
  5. Oct 18, 2019

VanKenny New Member

Thats because i know what GOAT actually means. It doesnt mean just a great season. If thats GOAT level, then players like Salah, Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc have all had GOAT seasons.

I see those as pretty much historical or legendary level seasons, but not quite GOAT material.

I did watch Barcelona in those years, i've rooted for them since before that. Peak Ronaldinho is an absolute legend of the game, but just not quite up there with peak R9, peak CR7, let alone Peak Messi.

That is of course my opinion and opinions differ person to person. Ill admit R10 was probably more entertaining to watch, all those sombrero flicks, chip passes, no look passes, electrifying dribbling etc, all that looked amazing yes, and he was efficient too, but other than being more entertaining than the other Ronaldo's, he simply wasnt a better football player.

That CR7 2007-2008 season at Utd alone was IMO better than peak R10.
  6. Oct 18, 2019

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    By a long shot, too

But, Dinho was amazing to watch in a way CR never was, and that counts
  7. Oct 18, 2019

Righteous Steps Full Member

Yet it wasn't the best season in pl history? Its arguable, comparable with Henry Suarez and Salah.
    I
  8. Oct 18, 2019

Righteous Steps Full Member

No chance by a long shot.
  9. Oct 18, 2019

AKDevil Full Member

The other two will.
  10. Oct 18, 2019

C'mon FC New Member

Supports:
    1. FC Köln
    If we talk about peak, then Ronaldinho is at a different level (honestly not sure who would be at the same sphere).
  11. Oct 18, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

Three truly brilliant players. One of them has had the single mindedness to work his arse off and has prolonged his career at the very top even longer than I think people thought was possible. Had the other two had that same type of desire I believe their careers would have eclipsed his, but they didnt, so he wins that one. Good for him. For natural ability, he is #3 on the list though.
  12. Oct 18, 2019

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    My *personal* changes to your scores and added a category.

I have to have Ronaldinho above Ronaldo for beautiful goals. Ronnie has scored some amazing goals, (the greatest of which was disallowed), but Dinho's for me are almost all much nicer. So many of his best goals have 4, 5, 6 players in front of him. That's not to say Cristiano didn't score some great goals with players in front of him, but Ronaldino often skipped past a bunch of players to get to the middle of the congested pack to then score. Just my preference.

Also I'm not sure if play-making can be a catch-all for a creative pass, if so, Ronaldino deserves more than 8.5. If we're actually looking at his ability as a playmaker then I don't know.

But then there is also just that ability to keep scoring goals. Ronaldinho was peak a goal every 2 games. Brazilian Ronaldo was peak a goal every game. C Ronaldo is peak more than a goal per game.
  13. Oct 18, 2019

owlo Full Member

If you asked me which of the players at the height of their powers I'd dread facing the most, it would EASILY be Luis Ronaldo.

The guy was a stone heart killer, a destroyer of worlds. Surely some of you can remember how terrifying he was?

If you asked me which I'd enjoy watching most, it would be Ronaldinho, followed by Luis Ronaldo.

If you asked me with the power of hindsight to buy one for my team, it would be C Ronaldo.
  14. Oct 18, 2019

owlo Full Member

I still believe that Ronaldinho is the main reason why Rivaldo doesn't get the credit he deserves from so many people. He made the impossible possible; magical player.
  15. Oct 19, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

Since when does the amount of goals youve scored equal excitement? Is Gerd Muller one of the most exciting players in history? Was Lampard more exciting than Ini? Was Platini more exciting than Diego? Bergkamp and Zola averaged 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 in the PL. Were they less exciting than better goalscorers?
    Cristiano is one of the greatest players and goalscorers of all time. But, excitement? the likes of Dinho leave him in the shade.
  16. Oct 19, 2019

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

By virtue of the rest of your post, you clearly don't.

The italicised words are why nobody should really talk about football nowadays because they add labels like this bullshit.

Although you were close to self enlightenment by the second bolded part.

But don't let me get in the way of your self-importance.
  17. Oct 19, 2019

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Like i said... only in caf.
  18. Oct 19, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

For creativity, it depends what you mean. For me, creativity has 2 meaning, to create something out of nothing, and/or to create goalscoring chances. Ronaldinho is good at the 1st one (create something out of nothing), but in terms of creating goals, C.Ronaldo has produce far more assists over his career (in less eye-catching way).
    Whereas playmaking, for me is more about buildup play, orchestrating an attack move and making things click, Zidane and Pirlo are good examples of being a great playmaker. Ronaldinho has the creative spark, but I don't think he is on par with Zidane and Pirlo in terms of playmaking.
    For Ronaldinho, I'd describe he is someone playing with great dribbling (10/10), flair (10/10) and imagination (10/10). But he is not necessary one of the greatest playmaker or creativity around. Hence I only rate him 8.5 in those area.
  19. Oct 19, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

The numbers game.

C.Ronaldo from 2003 to 2013 (10 years) was an exciting player to watch, whereas Ronaldinho exciting play last only from 2001-2007 (6 years), the larger part of his career was really poor/sub-standard/not exciting/disappointing (from 27 years old onwards).

Out of 700 goals C.Ronaldo has scored, I am sure at least 200-250 goals are good/beautiful goals too. Ronaldinho had scored 280 goals over his career, maybe the proportion of beautiful goals are higher, lets say nearly half of them are good/beautiful (around 140), which is still considerably far less than C.Ronaldo.

To make fair comparison, you need to compare both player at least on fair ground.
    For excitement over career, C.Ronaldo definitely better.
    For excitement during peak, you may argue Ronaldinho is better.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  20. Oct 19, 2019

Rifer Full Member

No particular order.

Ronaldinho - Football "playmaker" Magician
    C. Ronaldo - Football "attacker" Machine
    Ronaldo - Monster "9" Striker
  21. Oct 19, 2019

thepolice123 Full Member

Yes Ronaldinho's peak is at a different level.

He scored two hat-tricks against Bayern and Atletico within 14 days in Club football's biggest competition.
  22. Oct 19, 2019

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Nonsense. Winning a World Cup in the manner Ronaldo did will always see him mentioned as one of the greats.

Ronaldinho’s captured a new audience and made a lot of people go from casual watchers to die hard footballs fans.
  23. Oct 19, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

At the RedCafe eating Sugar Puffs, where else?
    We'll pick this up in 2069 and then again in 2094 and see who is right.
  24. Oct 19, 2019

Gio ★★★★★★★★

Supports:
    Rangers
    Why does Cristiano Ronaldo’s “exciting years“ start at 18/19 while Ronaldinho’s don’t until 21? He was a mega talent from a young age renowned for his creativity and flair. Here he is at 19 for example in the Copa America where he looks exciting enough to me.

And why do Cristiano’s exciting years extend well beyond the time when it was commonly recognised he prioritised efficiency over flair, which was basically around 2008, but you could, in a generous mood, extend that to his first season or two in Madrid?

Seems an unnecessary hill to die on as Ronaldo became a better player when he focused on scoring goals rather than creating them.
  25. Oct 19, 2019

11101 Full Member

Ronaldo's peak at Barcelona was above anything Ronaldinho did. People forget because he was so ruthless in his play, but he could do all the tricks and more. He just didn't often need to because he was so quick and strong.
  26. Oct 19, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

I don't know, I only count the years from the top league, its hard to know how good Ronaldinho really was back in his early time in the brazil league, as there was lack of coverage and the quality there is generally quite poor.

C.Ronaldo during 2011-2013 at Real Madrid, in my very honest opinion, is truly the best version of Ronaldo, in terms of perfect combination of pace, skills and goals. He was totally unstoppable on the pitch, and very exciting to watch. Personally I even rate this peak version of C.Ronaldo higher than peak L.Ronaldo, or at least equal.

Scored 53 goals, performances are top class, great skills, pace and dribbling, exciting to watch.

Scored 60 goals, performances are top class, great skills, pace and dribbling, exciting to watch.

Scored 55 goals, performances are top class, great skill, pace and dribbling, exciting to watch.

The Ronaldo from 14-19, at around 28/29 to 34 years old, has indeed turn into goalscoring machine, favouring efficiency over flair, and becoming less and less exciting to watch. Yet this older version is also the most successful one, so most people tend remember him as the less exciting version instead.

Another thing is, the peak form/performance of Ronaldo during 11-13, also coincides with peak form/performance of Messi, support by peak Xavi/Ineista. I consider they are more or less equal (Ronaldo vs Messi) during that period of time in terms of performances on the pitch, but Barca had won more trophies and had a better team, so Messi naturally gets more credits during that period.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  27. Oct 19, 2019

VanKenny New Member

GOAT=Greatest of all time.

R10's 2005/06 wasnt IMO the greatest of all time season by an individual player, and he doesnt even come close. There are hundreds of examples of players having similar seasons, and quite a few ones being better. Messi alone has around 4 or 5 seasons better than Dinho 05/06.

But hey if you think otherwise you do you, lets just agree to disagree. Im not going to get on my high horse and post a comment or two basically mocking you which in turn will make me feel better about myself. Well other than this one at least :lol: