Conte | Spurs Manager

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
With proper funds I can see Spurs winning the league next season. And this season we probably wont get top 4 all thanks to not going for Conte and him now being at Spurs. Frustrating.
Seems like a stretch. I don't think Pep or Klopp would win the league next season with Spurs no matter what the backing is. And with Spurs we know it can't be oil club money earner. Conte would do well to bring them back to the level they were a few years back. Unrealistic expectations will only result in disappointment (for Spurs fans at least).

Wilt

I'm hugely impressed with the work Conte has done so far, he is doing an incredible job.

He is clearly a brilliant coach and the work he is doing on the training pitch is remarkable because the transformation of the way we play and the individuals that have improved considerably is crazy.

We look very solid at the back now with the likes of Dier and Davies in particular looking great (who knew?!).

We still need a lot of investment, we probably need another top centre back and a bit more creativity in midfield with another striker. However I think that if he continues to improve the team at this level he will probably be our best coach in decades and I say this as a Poch lover.
Yep, best thing that’s happened to Spurs in years, easy to see why he’s widely regarded as an elite manager.

Tough assignment taking on Spurs and will need successful transfer business.

Sviken

He is a top 3 manager, so it's not surprising he's doing well. I do hope he gets pissed at Levy and fecks off somewhere else. And I also hope we missed out on him over Ten Hag. Because imagine if all of this ends with us getting Poch...

Schnappo

With proper funds I can see Spurs winning the league next season. And this season we probably wont get top 4 all thanks to not going for Conte and him now being at Spurs. Frustrating.
I think Conte's brilliant but.. :lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He is a top 3 manager, so it's not surprising he's doing well. I do hope he gets pissed at Levy and fecks off somewhere else. And I also hope we missed out on him over Ten Hag. Because imagine if all of this ends with us getting Poch...
Rodgers will be free soon :nervous:

Pep's Suit

He was a Top5 manager in the world for most of last 10 years so no idea why so many locals here didn't rate him.

Wilt

It's a transplant and as you say, a really good one!

It's odd that only he gets shit for it but others (Fabregas, Rooney, Beckham and many more) never really seem to.
It’s just a question of money, pay big money and get the best.

Not sure about Rooney though, he gets a lot of stick from my Chelsea, Arsenal mates ….often referred to as wiggy, or thatch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

It's odd that only he gets shit for it but others (Fabregas, Rooney, Beckham and many more) never really seem to.
Rooney used to get pelters, no? Mostly because he had to keep getting one and it never looked natural on him.

It’s actually quite common now amongst players tbf — Walker, Silva, Ings, Townsend, Holding etc all in the last 2-3 years and that’s just off the top of my head in the PL (hehe)
I’m sure Klopp got one too.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone that can make Deli Alli and Dier look good again, has some serious mojo. Motivating Kane to care again also good stuff.

abundance

Supports
Inter
We all seem a sour grape congregation of ex-es, don’t we? :lol: We all know his strengths and weaknesses, we also have learnt the hard way he is his own man, nothing less nothing more than that. Of course Spurs are a trampoline for him, just another low-risk high-reward appointment, and he will surely extract the most from them and even more. Will that be enough to make him a stayer, for once? Not sure, again, his mildly paranoid, uber competitive nature is what makes him so valuable when the circumstances are right, and he will however find another big stagnant ship to resurrect for his own glory and bank account once he feels he cannot overdeliver wehere he is any more.
Amen to that :)

frostbite

Beckham???

Beckham had hair transplant???

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He was a Top5 manager in the world for most of last 10 years so no idea why so many locals here didn't rate him.
Me neither. Rangnick is a very good choice, but Conte a few weeks earlier would have made top 4 a certainty next season. Some of the “he’s Mourinho MK2“ comments were embarrassing. His football is absolutely nothing like Mourinho’s, nor is his personality.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
100% he has ….and god knows what else
LA Galaxy time frame if I remember correctly. I checked, it was 2011 when he started having noticeable hair loss, so his final two seasons with the Galaxy was the start of the process, which can take years to complete.

Sylar

I'm hugely impressed with the work Conte has done so far, he is doing an incredible job.

He is clearly a brilliant coach and the work he is doing on the training pitch is remarkable because the transformation of the way we play and the individuals that have improved considerably is crazy.

We look very solid at the back now with the likes of Dier and Davies in particular looking great (who knew?!).

We still need a lot of investment, we probably need another top centre back and a bit more creativity in midfield with another striker. However I think that if he continues to improve the team at this level he will probably be our best coach in decades and I say this as a Poch lover.
I really don't understand why he wasn't brought in the summer and then appointed almost mid way
What exactly changed? I reckon Kane would have done so much better too

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
I really don't understand why he wasn't brought in the summer and then appointed almost mid way
It was widely reported that Spurs wanted to employ him during the summer but they could not reach an agreement. Conte may have softened his stance once he realized none of the bigger clubs had any intention of employing him and decided to settle for Spurs (no offense to Spurs fans)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It was widely reported that Spurs wanted to employ him during the summer but they could not reach an agreement. Conte may have softened his stance once he realized none of the bigger clubs had any intention of employing him and decided to settle for Spurs (no offense to Spurs fans)
From what I understand he walked from the talks in the summer because Levy would not give him assurances of getting the backing he felt he needed in terms of transfers. There is no way Conte would come to us if Levy did not change his stance and is now prepared to back him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Speculation on my part but I think the crowd (at the United game) making it very clear they were at the end of their tether with Levy caused him to panic and agree to demands he didn't in the summer.

BestRed

Rooney used to get pelters, no? Mostly because he had to keep getting one and it never looked natural on him.

It’s actually quite common now amongst players tbf — Walker, Silva, Ings, Townsend, Holding etc all in the last 2-3 years and that’s just off the top of my head in the PL (hehe)
I’m sure Klopp got one too.
:D

Guy Incognito

This is a massive overreaction to a few good results against decimated Leeds, Norwich, Brentford and 10-man Palace, all at home. Their squad is still nowhere near title quality and there’s no chance they will have enough resources to get it to a level where they can compete with City, Chelsea or Liverpool.
That's really the bottom line.

He's undeniably a good coach, but he can't work miracles with that squad. He isn't doing anything different than when Redknapp replaced Ramos. Going back to basics and building confidence in a team, which is fine in the short term.

If Spurs were going to win the title, they would've done so under Pochettino with Kane, Son, Alli, Dembele, Eriksen hitting their peaks.

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
That's really the bottom line.

He's undeniably a good coach, but he can't work miracles with that squad. He isn't doing anything different than when Redknapp replaced Ramos. Going back to basics and building confidence in a team, which is fine in the short term.

If Spurs were going to win the title, they would've done so under Pochettino with Kane, Son, Alli, Dembele, Eriksen hitting their peaks.
Under Pochettino - clubs focus was on 1billion stadium build which also had a 1 year delay with cost running up ; they took the eye of the ball on squad building.

Its not that Spurs dont have resources to compete in current market - they have invested badly in previous 2-3 years. Just 2 examples - Everything was agreed with Fernandes only for Poch to prefer Lo Celso. Same way, deal was agreed with player & club for Ruben Dias only for Mourinho to veto it out.

With Paratici as DoF, things are now changing. Without even being in Europa league, Spurs were able to get Romero, best CB in serie A last season.

Once the recruitment issues are fixed squad should be better. Spurs rake in 1m as in stadium revenue for every game - money isnt the issue. They were able to pay likes of Bale 250k a week like they did last season.

Paratici & Conte have prior working relationship from Juve and Partici was the one to bring Conte on board to Spurs. If Conte can get CL this season, thats more than enough for Spurs to push on as a club next season. I cant see Spurs being title contenders next season but you cant put it past Conte. For all the talk, if Spurs win their games in hand , they will be only 3 pts away from Chelsea & 6 pts away from Liverpool. More time & better squad, Conte can bridge the gap to these teams next season - Man City would be very difficult though.

Reactions: oates

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
Speculation on my part but I think the crowd (at the United game) making it very clear they were at the end of their tether with Levy caused him to panic and agree to demands he didn't in the summer.
From what I know, Levy initially backed out , not because of Conte's budget ask but more because of how aggressive & indifferent he was in the interview. Levy wasn't sure he needed the baggage of handling him especially after Mourinho. On Conte's part, he wasn't sure, Levy would be strong enough to fend off City and keep Kane. But then, once things went side ways with Nuno, Levy came to his senses - Paratici took over the matter in his hands as DoF - he was able to convince Conte, who he worked in past for 3 years in Juve. Conte was happy to see Kane not being sold. Ofcourse, United not going for Conte helped all parties involved to come together.

Conte is being paid 30m+ with bonus for the 18month contract. Money was central to discussion but never the no1 issue - Conte wanted assurances that any player who comes in, will come in only because he wanted the player. For now things are looking good - lets see how Jan & Summer window evolves

freeurmind

weak willed
Going to be difficult to watch him guide Spurs to a top 4 place as we flounder to Europa League. Should have got him while we had the chance.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Rooney never gets stick for it?! What planet are you on?!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Rooney never gets stick for it?! What planet are you on?!
This one!

If you search the Rooney thread for "wig" you get zero results. If you search the Conte one you get multiple pages.

And it's not even as if you lot like Rooney, that thread has many examples of people mocking him for other dodgy stuff (granny shagging, being from Liverpool, etc).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This one!

If you search the Rooney thread for "wig" you get zero results. If you search the Conte one you get multiple pages.

And it's not even as if you lot like Rooney, that thread has many examples of people mocking him for other dodgy stuff (granny shagging, being from Liverpool, etc).
Rooney and his hair are constant mockery from many.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
This one!

Probably because Conte's looks so good that people think it's a wig.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Needed a penalty to rescue a point after playing more than half the game with an extra player...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Glad that this happened.

Made my fears settle back down again.

:yawn:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Glad that this happened.

Made my fears settle back down again.

:yawn:
The race for top 4 was ridiculously forgiving the last two seasons. Looks like it will be the same again. The gap to the standard set by the top 3 is massive.

The fact we are just about still in it says a lot.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Two away games, two draws.

Two trips to Manchester, Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester all still to come on Spurs radar.

I think that stops them getting top 4 although they'll go close.