Conte | Spurs Manager

James Peril

Yes. They are coping fine tanks to the structure he built and left behind. They kept the exact same defensive structure that he built there and that's somehow a negative according to you?
They are coping just fine because the Italian league is in a terrible state, absolutely dreadful.

GledTheRed

Yes. They are coping fine tanks to the structure he built and left behind. They kept the exact same defensive structure that he built there and that's somehow a negative according to you?
Just pointing out that Inzaghi is doing an equally as good job if not better as he's top of the league with the squad Conte sulked and left over.

The reason Inter had to sell his players was because he spent too much in the first place.

Cheque book mamanger.

Pintu

They are coping just fine because the Italian league is in a terrible state, absolutely dreadful.
That's complete BS actually. Juventus is dreadful compared to 5 years ago, but most of the other teams are definitely better. The NT of Italy didn't win the Euros using players in a Championship-level league contrarilty to what you seem to beleive.

But let's assume that since the Italian league is inferior to the PL, it is dreadful.

Was the italian league less dreadful in the years prior to Conte when Inter was finishing 30/40 points behind?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He sulked and left Inter after they sold his best players, they seem to be coping just fine without him.
I am not a big fan of him but why downplay his abilities and results? He is an excellent coach who cares only about winning (which he does through all his career in all clubs).
Inter was without title for nearly a decade. He built a team and won them title. He didn't liked direction which club took after it and he resigned. Which is rare in these days. Managers rather wait for sack.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why are there so many people on this forum desperate to underplay or discredit Conte? It's utterly bizarre. It is plain to see to anybody who follows football that he is one of the very top coaches in the world, it's not even debatable.

It's coming across as just people being bitter that he isn't manager at their club to be honest. All I can say to that is suck it up.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Why are there so many people on this forum desperate to underplay or discredit Conte? It's utterly bizarre. It is plain to see to anybody who follows football that he is one of the very top coaches in the world, it's not even debatable.

It's coming across as just people being bitter that he isn't manager at their club to be honest. All I can say to that is suck it up.
It really is. Guy has done an outstanding job wherever he has gone.

Pintu

Just pointing out that Inzaghi is doing an equally as good job if not better as he's top of the league with the squad Conte sulked and left over.

The reason Inter had to sell his players was because he spent too much in the first place.

Cheque book mamanger.
I agree that Inzaghi is doing a good job, but it is Conte who built that team, almost from scratch. Inter was a banter club prior to him and they've had some decent managers (Mancini and Spaletti) who gave it a try.

Conte made them spend money on quality players and they made a huge profit selling 2 of them.

They had to sell players because a pandemic f*** up their plans. But maybe you're suggesting that the pandemic is his fault too?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Cheque book mamanger.
I doubt Conte had the authority to spend their money without the approval of somebody above him. I'm guessing their CEO or whoever would sanction/deal with the money side of the deals.

Irwin99

He really is a top top coach. The hope I have from a United perspective is that he's demoralized by the Spurs hierarchy and just ends up not giving a crap about the rest of the season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He really is a top top coach. The hope I have from a United perspective is that he's demoralized by the Spurs hierarchy and just ends up not giving a crap about the rest of the season.
Yeah I get that - nobody outside of Spurs will want him to do well because they know if he does well that means Spurs will likely be a proper team again. I can totally understand this point of view. What I don't understand is people who think that but who instead try to pretend Conte isn't all that rather than admit they actually are gutted he is at Spurs and not at their club.

mu4c_20le

Hate to say this, but he is the right coach at the wrong time. You are in a period of transition right now, and should have gone after someone like Potter to build a new foundation. I can't see Conte being satisfied with competing for the top 4 trophy every year, and he will feck off soon if he can't win anything. I don't think anyone doubted his ability as a coach, but he will probably leave you in a similar state Jose did. Funnily enough, we also defended Jose when he first came here, with the same defiance as you are right now.

romufc

He is a top coach. What people are also saying is, a top coach should be able to get the best out the current players too. Why should there be an excuse for him?

Tbh I wouldn't want him as United manager, comes with too much baggage for my liking.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hate to say this, but he is the right coach at the wrong time. You are in a period of transition right now, and should have gone after someone like Potter to build a new foundation. I can't see Conte being satisfied with competing for the top 4 trophy every year, and he will feck off soon if he can't win anything. I don't think anyone doubted his ability as a coach, but he will probably leave you in a similar state Jose did. Funnily enough, we also defended Jose when he first came here, with the same defiance as you are right now.
What I'll say to that is that Conte will have known exactly what he was taking on when he agreed to be Spurs manager - he will now expect to be backed properly by the club in this window and particularly the summer. If we don't adequately back him then he will probably go but I honestly think that we will back him. Why? Because there has been significant changes behind the scenes at Spurs because Levy has finally decided to no longer get involved in transfers - this is the best and biggest news at Spurs in many years in my opinion as Levy has been the main block to us progressing as a club on the pitch. So time will tell - I believe he will get backed heavily in the summer and the work Paratici is doing right now getting lots of the deadwood out is going to help a lot in that regard.

Conte has said consistently since he joined Spurs that he needs patience and time and that there is no quick fix. That doesn't sound like the words from a man who expects to get things turned around within a few months.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is a top coach. What people are also saying is, a top coach should be able to get the best out the current players too. Why should there be an excuse for him?

Tbh I wouldn't want him as United manager, comes with too much baggage for my liking.
We have the second/third best form in the Premier League since he came to Spurs. If that isn't him getting the best out of the current players I'm not sure what is. We are in the running for top 4 which we have no right to be anywhere near considering the state of our squad.

Irwin99

Yeah I get that - nobody outside of Spurs will want him to do well because they know if he does well that means Spurs will likely be a proper team again. I can totally understand this point of view. What I don't understand is people who think that but who instead try to pretend Conte isn't all that rather than admit they actually are gutted he is at Spurs and not at their club.
Him at United would be pointless with the set up we have (Glazers). I don't see this as a bad thing as some other people do but Conte seems an extremely demanding guy that expects 100% from everyone and if he doesn't feel he's getting that then you're just wasting his time. People will call it throwing his toys out of the pram but I kind of respect it in some ways.

romufc

We have the second/third best form in the Premier League since he came to Spurs. If that isn't him getting the best out of the current players I'm not sure what is. We are in the running for top 4 which we have no right to be anywhere near considering the state of our squad.
Well, you talk about state of the squad but really Spurs have to concentrate on PL and FA cup only which is 1 game a week.

Having Son, Kane, Moura as the front 3. Even spending wise, Spurs have spent money in the last 3 years.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well, you talk about state of the squad but really Spurs have to concentrate on PL and FA cup only which is 1 game a week.

Having Son, Kane, Moura as the front 3. Even spending wise, Spurs have spent money in the last 3 years.
Front three are obviously good but midfield and defence is not good plus we have a very weak squad outside of the starting 11. We have spent money yes but we are currently getting rid of most of those players right now. Our recruitment over the past few years has generally been absolutely shocking.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Actually the opposite. He's largely getting slated because he's shown what he can do when fully motivated.

His interviews after the Stamford Bridge games were beyond odd and reminded me exactly why I don't miss him despite his quality, it's almost as if he wrote them off as free hits before kick off.

romufc

Front three are obviously good but midfield and defence is not good plus we have a very weak squad outside of the starting 11. We have spent money yes but we are currently getting rid of most of those players right now. Our recruitment over the past few years has generally been absolutely shocking.
I think if he achieves top 4, he's done a really good job, then what?

What are Spurs fans targets for next season if he gets top 4? challenge for league? A FA cup or League cup?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think if he achieves top 4, he's done a really good job, then what?

What are Spurs fans targets for next season if he gets top 4? challenge for league? A FA cup or League cup?

Personally I think if we manage to get top 4 this season that would be insane and if we did and then he got sufficiently backed in the summer then we should be right up there fighting for top 4 again next season. It is going to take probably 3 or 4 windows for us to fully rebuild the side and if Conte is still here over that time then I'd love to hope we would be up challenging for the league. Could be pie in the sky nonsense of course but when you have a properly top level coach you have to go all out. Whether we do or not I have no idea but I'll choose to be optimistic.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
After all that ending up with Bentancur.

:lol:

Conte isn’t long for that club. What a debacle.
I actually think he is a good fit for Conte and a great deal for all parties involved.

He isn't a great DM, nor creative enough to stand out... sort of lives in that "neither here nor there" zone where you can be distinctly average, or a very effective all-rounder. Reckon Conte can bring the latter back out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Cheque book mamanger.
Not really. The reason they had to sell and the club will likely be sold is because Suning Holdings group are in massive trouble, they defaulted last year, are sued by creditors and the club they had in China is now defunct. They have been bailed out by the government but it's not over.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Unless anything big happens in the next couple of hours then Spurs will have had the best window of the top four contenders.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Bentancur is mediocre. Dejan is talented but could go either way tbh.

They have a shot at 4th.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Really? are you actually any stronger? You didn’t seem to get any of your primary targets
Well we've moved on players Conte wasn't using and brought two in that he will use, presumably. It remains to be seen how good they'll be but as far as I'm concerned it's two more options than we had a month ago.

Arsenal have only moved players out, no one in. Same for Utd who are also down one in terms of regular starters. West Ham zero in zero out and Wolves replaced Adama with Chiquinho.

Stgun

He should but he won't. Conte is the type of manager where if he does not get his wish list of players, he will not hold back.

Jose was not prime time manager when he took Spurs over, he was on his last hope really whereas, Conte is more in his prime.
Conte is in his prime because his latest club was inter who allowed him to make a wholesale change to the squad. Jose wasn't in his prime because his latest 2 club are also finished. Wonder what will you say about conte if he ends up failed at spurs too. He just got rid of Ndombele and Alli in one window but nobody asked why , he never even gave them proper chances as well.

Imagine what people going to say if it was Jose who got rid of them ? The reason Jose wasn't in his prime is because he couldn't act like a proper football manager , He wasn't allowed yo get rid of those players. This is very important , because backing manager isn't only about buying the players he wanted but most importantly also getting rid of the players he doesn't like. Jose never had that power nor authority in his 2 latest club to do that.
It's constant cycle
Jose joins a club > He spots a lazy player > Demands more from the player > Media takes the side of the player, write countless articles blaming the manager > fanbase falls for it > Results take a nosedive >Jose gets sacked> Media doesn’t care what happens to the player under a new manager.
Oh and let's not start with how Mourinho must get the best out of Gareth Bale either

Only now at Roma he can get rid of players without anyone questioning, where their board trust him , probably the biggest reason he took that job where he has full authority without circus following him.

By the way Jose actually got a the best of Ndombele , i don't think it's possible to get the best out of deadwood if you weren't a prime manager. About Dele Alli we can quote what Jose said “Where they play. How they play. If they play. This is football heritage”. His assessment of players has been mostly spot on that's why i never believed that he was finished. Before anyone talked about Salah this , KDB that, it was Conte who actually sold them , never Jose. Mourinho has been sacked when they both were sold. I don't know why people keep blaming jose for that matters , they just read what media wrote ,never check the fact.

Last edited:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Spurs need him more than he needs Spurs.
So much this, I remember seeing a stat a week or so ago since he took over Spurs only City had gained more points. The Spurs squad looks poor to me on paper, Son, Kane, and? Maybe Hojbjerg you would take, maybe?

If he gets Spurs 4th with that squad his reputation certainly won't be tarnished. If he doesnt, no great loss they were not really in the discussion for the spot until he took over. Then he can walk out in a year into a big club and a fresh new contract.

My only concern is neither player they have brought in is an improvement to the starting 11, Kulusevski is a potential for the future at 21, Bentancur Im guessing will be a squad player and get games when he wants to rest Skip or Hojbjerg. I guess the big moves for Spurs this window was getting players off the wage bill with Lo Celso, Alli, Ndombele all out the door.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

They have a shot at 4th.
Question is, how is their attitude?
Did they play for Juve regularly?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets

They have a shot at 4th.
Bentancur may well be average, but he only has to better than Winks and Skip to get a spot in the starting 11, Kulusevski is one for the future.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Him at United would be pointless with the set up we have (Glazers). I don't see this as a bad thing as some other people do but Conte seems an extremely demanding guy that expects 100% from everyone and if he doesn't feel he's getting that then you're just wasting his time. People will call it throwing his toys out of the pram but I kind of respect it in some ways.
Sorry dude but with all the money you wasted on certain players he would've won you at least 2 titles and be up there with City
Herry fking Maguire for 85m more than De Ligt
Sancho over 120m
Martial 80m
Pogba 110m and always making him play as a DM instead of where Conte/Allegri made him shine at Juventus.

Now Paratici may have spent too much for Kulusevki. Juventus would've let him for books value but that's still better than spending much more for the trendy PL player of the month which will flop anyway anyhow. Also Kulu is 18months loan for 10m and for the other 35 Tottenham has to qualify for a CL spot next year which is not as easy as let's say Italy,Germany or Spain. Plus it is paid in FIVE installments.

If I were Paratici and his know how of Serie A I admit as a Juventus fan that I wouldn't have gone for Kulu and Benta but for other players. But let's see how it turn out.
Also I DOUBT he didn't deal with Conte before getting those 2 players. Else everyone knows what happens when a team buy a player that Conte doesn't approve. He'll never see the field.

But I can already see Paratici doing some shit like sending Gyal back to the team you bought him in summer on loan for free.
Like wtf?!?! keep him and give him a chance. Unless it was Conte who told him to give him away
But still loaning him for free to the team you bought him from 4-5months before?

Anyway again IF I were in Paratici shoes or any PL manager I wouldn't buy overpriced PL players of the month simply cause they are british (What United is doing) but I would go and shop the best in Europe instead.
Now Italy has some good players which aren't that expensive like Bremer and Milinkovic-Savic just to say :P

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Bentancur may well be average, but he only has to better than Winks and Skip to get a spot in the starting 11, Kulusevski is one for the future.
also even if it's a mistake find me a 24yrs old international with toon of experience on a high level team going for 16m pounds.
May turn good may turn average but won't turn out a economic disaster anyway.
Same as Kulusevki. Maybe expensive but 21yrs old. If he does well good. If not wait 3 years and sell to someone who believe can get the best out of him without losing any money

romufc

Conte is in his prime because his latest club was inter who allowed him to make a wholesale change to the squad. Jose wasn't in his prime because his latest 2 club are also finished. Wonder what will you say about conte if he ends up failed at spurs too. He just got rid of Ndombele and Alli in one window but nobody asked why , he never even gave them proper chances as well.

Imagine what people going to say if it was Jose who got rid of them ? The reason Jose wasn't in his prime is because he couldn't act like a proper football manager , He wasn't allowed yo get rid of those players. This is very important , because backing manager isn't only about buying the players he wanted but most importantly also getting rid of the players he doesn't like. Jose never had that power nor authority in his 2 latest club to do that.
It's constant cycle
Jose joins a club > He spots a lazy player > Demands more from the player > Media takes the side of the player, write countless articles blaming the manager > fanbase falls for it > Results take a nosedive >Jose gets sacked> Media doesn’t care what happens to the player under a new manager.
Oh and let's not start with how Mourinho must get the best out of Gareth Bale either

Only now at Roma he can get rid of players without anyone questioning, where their board trust him , probably the biggest reason he took that job where he has full authority without circus following him.

By the way Jose actually got a the best of Ndombele , i don't think it's possible to get the best out of deadwood if you weren't a prime manager. About Dele Alli we can quote what Jose said “Where they play. How they play. If they play. This is football heritage”. His assessment of players has been mostly spot on that's why i never believed that he was finished. Before anyone talked about Salah this , KDB that, it was Conte who actually sold them , never Jose. Mourinho has been sacked when they both were sold. I don't know why people keep blaming jose for that matters , they just read what media wrote ,never check the fact.
I dont know what you mean by clubs are finished but if you are talking about Manutd when he was in charge.. we had just won the FA cup, nothing compared to Spurs.

You talk about wholesale changes, United allowed Jose to bring in Pogba, Zlatan, Bailly, Mikhi in his first window, that is almost like a new spine. Then the season after he was also given more money to spend on Matic, Lindelof, Lukaku and Sanchez, so don't say he was not allowed to make changes, because that is false.

When Jose came in, what player did he need to get rid of that he wasn't allowed? Only Martial really.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why are we now discussing Mourinho??

Anyway - I think we had a solid January window. We sold Dele, loaned out N'Dombele and Lo Celso (hopefully they won't be back) and brought in a solid midfielder with the sort of attributes Conte will want and a young talented player who I think could be excellent for us. Overall the quality of our squad has improved and we have trimmed it down where we needed to and got rid of a few bad apples. Also when I look at the business our rivals for top 4 did I think we have strengthened and most others have either stayed still or got weaker.

It could have been better of course, losing out on Adama and Luis were disappointing (however not that fussed on Adama personally) so we are still light in some areas - particularly RWB and still no back-up for Kane. We are clearly building for a big summer window.

I think we definitely have a shot at the top 4 this season and if we were able to achieve this, get champions league and have a good summer then we will be looking strong for next season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Some posters have wild and edgy opinions. Don't take it too seriously.

alexthelion

Sorry dude but with all the money you wasted on certain players he would've won you at least 2 titles and be up there with City
Herry fking Maguire for 85m more than De Ligt
Sancho over 120m
Martial 80m
Pogba 110m
and always making him play as a DM instead of where Conte/Allegri made him shine at Juventus.

Making up nhumbers to suit your point. Clever.

Pintu

If I were Paratici and his know how of Serie A I admit as a Juventus fan that I wouldn't have gone for Kulu and Benta but for other players. But let's see how it turn out.
Also I DOUBT he didn't deal with Conte before getting those 2 players. Else everyone knows what happens when a team buy a player that Conte doesn't approve. He'll never see the field.
Paratici recruiting the same players he previously recruited at Juventus can be interpreted as some sign of a special relationship between him and their respective agents, but at the same time, the money involved is decent. Bentancur for a basic fee of 19 M is a good deal. A player of the same level from the PL would cost double that at least.

And Kulusevski's deal is also fair, 10 M loan for 18 months means you want to test the player before paying the big bucks. If he can reproduce what did for Parma, the 35 option to buy would be a bargain, if he disappoints you can cut the losses.

Let's remember this is a January window. Clubs fighting for Top 4 aren't going to sell their important players now.

There are many midfielders in Serie A that I think would considerably improve any of United/Arsenal/Spurs but 2 in particular: Pellegrini and Koopmeiners.

The dutch shouldn't have a problem switching countries, and Pellegrini also might be interested.

Arios

Supports
Juventus

Making up nhumbers to suit your point. Clever.
I'm talking in euro and ye sorry

Maguire 87m €
Martial 60m+ 10m after his 25th app for France + 10m if on Ballon d'or list
Sancho 87m sorry I was wrong XD you got it for cheap!
Pogba 105m

So yeah I was wrong only about Sancho! my bad!
But I also listed a short list of players