Conte | Spurs Manager

Stgun

I dont know what you mean by clubs are finished but if you are talking about Manutd when he was in charge.. we had just won the FA cup, nothing compared to Spurs.

You talk about wholesale changes, United allowed Jose to bring in Pogba, Zlatan, Bailly, Mikhi in his first window, that is almost like a new spine. Then the season after he was also given more money to spend on Matic, Lindelof, Lukaku and Sanchez, so don't say he was not allowed to make changes, because that is false.

When Jose came in, what player did he need to get rid of that he wasn't allowed? Only Martial really.
Conte recruit 16 new players at Inter in 2 seasons that's the reason he turned into prime manager, not because he could get the best out of deadwood. Jose only got 8 and another 3 he barely use , he has to work with so many players he doesn't rate, for example how did you think Juan Mata is still here till today ? Jose got rid of him as quickly as possible at Chelsea ,he would have gotten rid of him again at United if he had any authority here.

Even then Conte won the same amount of trophies as Jose did at United with 2x number of recruitment , that's why it's an absolute bullshit to say he is better than Jose. When Jose had similar amount of signing, he won treble , Conte couldn't even beat Sevilla in UEL final.

I won't be surprised if no manager was capable to outdo his achievement at both club for the next 5 years because United and Spurs are both finished club.
Don't get me start with how many players Pep has recruited at City. Top manager at top club recruit a lot of players that's normal , we are the one who aren't normal.

Last edited:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Listening to the full interview he was more positive about Gil generally, just that physically he isn't there yet. He was pretty damning about Ndombele and Lo Celso though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

He is totally right - what he is talking about though is the past transfers we have made as a club and making the point that the club can't make the same mistakes going forward. He seems happy enough with the business we did in January.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He's not wrong but those kinds of comments aren't going to help sell the players or negotiate better fees for them.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They might do really well, as they are young and have potential, but surely their two young signings from Juventus in this window are massive risks given those comments?

One is a young player whose progression has stalled in recent years, and the other is a winger who struggled to break into quite a poor Juventus attacking unit.

They could be hear again next January saying the same thing.

Glorio

They might do really well, as they are young and have potential, but surely their two young signings from Juventus in this window are massive risks given those comments?

One is a young player whose progression has stalled in recent years, and the other is a winger who struggled to break into quite a poor Juventus attacking unit.

They could be hear again next January saying the same thing.
Hypothetical:
Would be fun if it turned out then to be Ole saying it :lol:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He is totally right - what he is talking about though is the past transfers we have made as a club and making the point that the club can't make the same mistakes going forward. He seems happy enough with the business we did in January.
Spurs recruitment has been terrible for years, Conte is right to call them out. Whoever the director of recruitment was/is should have followed Nuno out the door. I suspect it is Levy however who is going nowhere. Who was the last signing they actually made that came in and has actually shown they have what it takes? Hojbjerg? Having said that we will see how Conte's signings go, if Bentancur and Kulusevski both prove to be about as useful as Gil and Ndombele he doesnt really have a leg to stand on.

Ndombele, due diligence was clearly not done, looks like Levy watched a Youtube compilation and said 'sign him up'. Gil, could be good in a few years time, maybe. Lo Celso, remains to be seen if he can stay fit and injury free.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs recruitment has been terrible for years, Conte is right to call them out. Whoever the director of recruitment was/is should have followed Nuno out the door. I suspect it is Levy however who is going nowhere. Who was the last signing they actually made that came in and has actually shown they have what it takes? Hojbjerg? Having said that we will see how Conte's signings go, if Bentancur and Kulusevski both prove to be about as useful as Gil and Ndombele he doesnt really have a leg to stand on.

Ndombele, due diligence was clearly not done, looks like Levy watched a Youtube compilation and said 'sign him up'. Gil, could be good in a few years time, maybe. Lo Celso, remains to be seen if he can stay fit and injury free.
Yeah I agree with everything you have said. Recruitment has been shocking - our main recruitment guy (before Paratici came in) Hitchins resigned last week so hopefully that is good news.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was extremely lucky to draw in the reverse fixture too. Saints swarmed them until Salisu got sent off if I recall correctly. Southampton still made it 1-1 I think

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
To be fair, a high-energy, high-pressing team can be a fecking nightmare for the sort of style Conte employs. You need to make every counter attack count in situations like that to ease the pressure.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If they gave up on Mourinho and Nuno, i can see conte going the same way. Its the same football under a different manager.

They let southampton look like Bayern Munich tonight.

Pintu

Horrible individual mistakes form the defenders cost them the goals.

But they were totally dominated by the Saints. At times it looked like they gave up the fight and only wanted to hit on the counters.

Conte has a real challenge ahead of him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I hope spurs fan and @Cheimoon see that coaching spurs isn't as easy as it seems. Even though Conte is an amazing manager, spurs is not at the same level as most top club. So getting top four or anything beyond that will be a tough task. Even though, I believe Conte can get them towards the level they had before under one of the best manager they had, it will take a lot of work, financial support and effort. With the financial support not being offered at spurs until mourinho got in charge.

Caesar2290

Will never understand why Spurs went with Conte instead of some one like Ralph. They're last good manager was at Soton. They last good DoF was at Soton.

If something isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
I hope spurs fan and @Cheimoon see that coaching spurs isn't as easy as it seems. Even though Conte is an amazing manager, spurs is not at the same level as most top club. So getting top four or anything beyond that will be a tough task. Even though, I believe Conte can get them towards the level they had before under one of the best manager they had, it will take a lot of work, financial support and effort. With the financial support not being offered at spurs until mourinho got in charge.
Too many words for saying that Poch is awesome and elite manager. Just lay of it man, it's getting too obvious :lol:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Or maybe the right way to go about things is not to actually develop a new opinion about every manager after every game based on that one last game.

AltiUn

Will never understand why Spurs went with Conte instead of some one like Ralph. They're last good manager was at Soton. They last good DoF was at Soton.

If something isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Too many words for saying that Poch is awesome and elite manager. Just lay of it man, it's getting too obvious :lol:
Conte is a much better manager than Rangnick, that's probably why.

cyberman

He needs to change the shape of the team. Sides are getting around their midfield and straight at the back 4 and the only space they get to attack is the space left behind from being swarmed. Tightening up may cost them going forward but you can’t live or die by the last 10 minutes of a game, every game

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Its the football he plays. It is counter attacking. If it didnt work for Mourinho and nuno, why should it work for conte.

At one stage they had 38 percent of possession. At home.

Caesar2290

Ragnick's first name is Ralf. Hassenhutl's first name is Ralph. That's who I meant and hence the reason I mentioned Soton in my comment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To be fair, a high-energy, high-pressing team can be a fecking nightmare for the sort of style Conte employs. You need to make every counter attack count in situations like that to ease the pressure.
You're spot on imo. It was a clash between a reactive coach vs a proactive coach, and the proactive coach won.

AltiUn

He's talking about Hasenhuttl.
He's a much better manager than him as well. If you've got someone like Conte available and willing to join then you have no choice but to go for them, really.

Caesar2290

He's a much better manager than him as well. If you've got someone like Conte available and willing to join then you have no choice but to go for them, really.
Mourinho was also the better manager than Poch and LvG.

Sometimes you have to go with the manager that best suits the group of players you have.

AltiUn

Sometimes you have to go with the manager that best suits the group of players you have.
Agree, but I definitely see why they went with Conte. They needed someone elite to get results immediately to try and convince players like Kane and Son to stay.

ti vu

TBF, Tottenham team is no longer suited for pressing especially after all the recent big fee signings that has poor work rate, fitness issue.

The problem is not Conte, but whether they can support him by buying his players to complete the team.

For example, Kane doesn't look like the most suitable leading the line forward for Conte. Conte likes a forward that is athletic, or physically aggressive. Kane is more like his second striker profile. From what see from this Conte's Tottenham so far, they lack the direct route approach to opposition goal to get out of pressure. Conte is better at coaching playing out at the back than Mourinho for example, but he had limit in this approach especially when he sticks to 5 at back set up. Without a direct option, against good pressing side, his Tottenham team is in trouble now and in long run. Their midfield 2 spreads out very thin. 3 men midfield and Kane + 1 would make their attack very blunt since Kane lack of pace, having to rely solely on the other attacker to stretch the play centrally.

Last edited:

Caesar2290

TBF, Tottenham team is no longer suited for pressing especially after all the recent big fee signings that has poor work rate, fitness issue.

The problem is not Conte, but whether they can support him by buying his players to complete the team.

For example, Kane doesn't look like the most suitable leading the line forward for Conte. Conte likes a forward that is athletic, or physical. Kane is more like his second striker profile. From what see form this Conte's Tottenham so far, they lack the direct route approach to goal to get out of pressure. Conte is better at coaching playing out at the back than Mourinho for example, but he had limit in this approach especially when he sticks to 5 at back. Without a direct option, against good pressing side, his Tottenham team is in trouble now and in long run.
Thank God we skipped on Conte. Caf was telling me how he almost gurantees a title, but what I've seen, he just doesn't have an answer to gengenpress. The Chelsea tie in the cup showed that and now Soton confirmed it.

Also, imagine being dominated at home by a side who sits in the bottom side of the table, having to resort to counter attacks.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Thank God we skipped on Conte. Caf was telling me how he almost gurantees a title, but what I've seen, he just doesn't have an answer to gengenpress. The Chelsea tie in the cup showed that and now Soton confirmed it.

Also, imagine being dominated at home by a side who sits in the bottom side of the table, having to resort to counter attacks.
Terrible really. Thank god we didnt go for conte.