Conte | Spurs Manager

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Mourinho's Roma spent €112m this summer (which is definitely not shabby for Serie A, and, believe it or not, it's their biggest net transfer deficit *ever*) to end up with 6 points less than last season after 23 games.
Jose's still in the game just as a pastime nowadays.

Roma have been very unlucky this season. Honestly there has been an improvement. Contrary to Mourinho's image, they have also played some attacking free flowing football. Their defense is a joke.

5th in the league , last season Roma was 7th.
Rome wasn't build in a day. They played well most of the time, only Inter has better XG in the league but not clinical enough to convert chances and not discipline enough to keep clean sheet , overall they played just as good as those teams above them.
Give Mourinho his choice of defender and give him till his 3rd season he may surprise anyone which he will cause at Roma their board , their club legend actually trust him and want to give him all the backing , their fanbase didn't overreact for every defeat and didn't have silly expectations, they know their club hasn't won anything for decades so they don't have much ego unlike United and spurs fans , and most important thing is they want Mourinho to lead their rebuild.

Something Conte probably won't be allowed to do at Spurs because their club is finished. It's going to be funny when Mourinho somehow achieve a big things at Roma, wonder what's the agenda is going to be , whether "he is back as prime manager" or "it's just serie A" because that serie A title is what makes Conte a prime manager :lol: .Because i believe he will, when you hire Mourinho you can expect success only and if only the club backed him properly , by backing him properly it means getting the players he wanted no matter who without questioning , and get rid of whoever he didn't want, no matter who without questioning and give him enough time to work with. We and Spurs question too much about who he wanted to bring ( like Perisic ) or who he wanted to get rid off ( like Martial ) and look where it lead us ? 0 trophies. The recruitment he made at Roma instantly become the starter and immediately improve the team.

Roma's attack has been a delight to watch this season. They immediately need a good CB and a proper DM imo. The team seems to like Jose and the players respect him from what I gather.

Not sure if you noticed but Barcelona are a much bigger team than Spurs and the player already had links to there. In what universe do you think the player would choose Spurs over Barcelona in this situation? Is that Levy's fault?

Also, the window is still open so... let's leave all the gloating till the window is shut and we know what's happened (or what hasnt?)
Yeah its not like Levy has let down multiple managers before and has a reputation of doing so. :lol:

If you are actually defending Daniel Levy in 2022 as a Spurs fan then I have nothing to say. :houllier:

ENIC is the reason Spurs never kicked on to be the superclub the fans dreamed of. The lack of ambition is pretty obvious mate.

Sacking Jose a few days before a final to save some money says everything you need to know about Levy

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Roma have been very unlucky this season. Honestly there has been an improvement. Contrary to Mourinho's image, they have also played some attacking free flowing football. Their defense is a joke.

Roma's attack has been a delight to watch this season. They immediately need a good CB and a proper DM imo. The team seems to like Jose and the players respect him from what I gather.

Yeah its not like Levy has let down multiple managers before and has a reputation of doing so. :lol:

If you are actually defending Daniel Levy in 2022 as a Spurs fan then I have nothing to say. :houllier:

ENIC is the reason Spurs never kicked on to be the superclub the fans dreamed of. The lack of ambition is pretty obvious mate.

Sacking Jose a few days before a final to save some money says everything you need to know about Levy
I blame Levy for a lot of things but us losing out to Barcelona for a player is not one of them.

Xaviboy

Conte will walk or throw levy under the bus and get sacked. Losing out now to another signing in Diaz from Porto and with Traore going to Barcelona.

Classical Mechanic

Not sure if you noticed but Barcelona are a much bigger team than Spurs and the player already had links to there. In what universe do you think the player would choose Spurs over Barcelona in this situation? Is that Levy's fault?

Also, the window is still open so... let's leave all the gloating till the window is shut and we know what's happened (or what hasnt?)
It looks similar to the Grealish deal though. Spends too much time lowballing and then the deal gets pulled from under his feet.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
To be fair, Barcelona have probably done Spurs a favour. Traore is a nothing player. He’s rapid as feck and that’s it. He can’t get through 90mins at a high level because he has too much muscle (especially upper body) consuming oxygen, and his second half performances always drop off a cliff. As a wing back he’s okay, but we are talking about a player who can’t keep a place in a Wolves side.

As a forward he is completely hopeless. His final ball and decision making is about as bad as I’ve seen for a top flight player. Zero goals and zero assists this season tells a story. I can’t imagine Spurs are flush enough to spend 30m on a player that will ultimately end up being nothing more than an impact sub.

In fact, I take it all back. He was a very Spursey signing. I’m amazed he didn’t end up there.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Conte will walk or throw levy under the bus and get sacked. Losing out now to another signing in Diaz from Porto and with Traore going to Barcelona.
Yeah. I think Diaz is fair enough given he was linked to Liverpool for ages anyway and seems Spurs only tried going for him recently which meant Liverpool acted. The chances of getting Traore were much better if Spurs didn't drag it out to try and lower the price.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
To be fair, Barcelona have probably done Spurs a favour. Traore is a nothing player. He’s rapid as feck and that’s it. He can’t get through 90mins at a high level because he has too much muscle (especially upper body) consuming oxygen, and his second half performances always drop off a cliff. As a wing back he’s okay, but we are talking about a player who can’t keep a place in a Wolves side.

As a forward he is completely hopeless. His final ball and decision making is about as bad as I’ve seen for a top flight player. Zero goals and zero assists this season tells a story. I can’t imagine Spurs are flush enough to spend 30m on a player that will ultimately end up being nothing more than an impact sub.

In fact, I take it all back. He was a very Spursey signing. I’m amazed he didn’t end up there.
While I agree, Conte has a record of taking average-not great players and making them look great to standards they don't display after he's gone. For example Victor Moses at wingback.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
While I agree, Conte has a record of taking average players and making them look good at wingback like Victor Moses.
Who else? Or is it just Moses? And because he did it with Moses, you think he can do it with Adama? Getting racist vibes here.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Who else? Or is it just Moses? And because he did it with Moses, you think he can do it with Adama? Getting racist vibes here.
Surely the fact that they are both failed wingers is the main commonality here?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s definitely the type of manager to walk, especially at a club like Spurs where he didn’t want to be at in the first place anyway.

Pep's Suit

Yeah, 100%. Didn't Conte also want Carlos from Sevilla? Reliable reports said Newcastle and one London-based club made offers.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He has pretty much already threatened to walk and if he doesn’t walk he could turn it dark for the rest of the season. Great coach but you have to give him signings. As a side point, Traore to Barca really shows them coming down in the world. There was zero notion he’d ever go back there before.

romufc

Conte will not hold back when he is not backed. He left Chelsea because he was falling out, after his first season at Inter, he was about to walk, done alot of pressers saying I dont know If I will stay.

As good as Conte is, he is a very high maintenance manager, its his way or the highway. Which is why I think there will be a clash with the Spurs board soon.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just because Diaz prefers Liverpool and Adama prefers a return to Barca doesn't mean Conte is not being 'backed' though.
By all accounts Spurs were willing to pay for those players, maybe even more than Liverpool; but if the player wants a different move there's little you can do. It was reported before that Liverpool were after Diaz, being conservative and stingy as they are they were waiting for summer but Spurs probably forced their hand a little.

Spurs will have backup targets and they will go after those now.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Just because Diaz prefers Liverpool and Adama prefers a return to Barca doesn't mean Conte is not being 'backed' though.
By all accounts Spurs were willing to pay for those players, maybe even more than Liverpool; but if the player wants a different move there's little you can do.

You’re right but I don’t think Conte is that reasonable!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Conte to Manchester United in the summer then? :lol:
Seriously...or Newcastle if they stay up.

If he doesn't feel can't compete at Spurs, he won't be one to stick around and take it like Kane did last summer.

Stgun

He’s definitely the type of manager to walk, especially at a club like Spurs where he didn’t want to be at in the first place anyway.
Conte will not hold back when he is not backed. He left Chelsea because he was falling out, after his first season at Inter, he was about to walk, done alot of pressers saying I dont know If I will stay.

As good as Conte is, he is a very high maintenance manager, its his way or the highway. Which is why I think there will be a clash with the Spurs board soon.
if he did walk out without a single achievement , does that mean he is now a toxic finished manager ? I still don't understand how a prime manager like Conte needs to be backed with new players while a finished dinosaur Mourinho has to work and get the best out of what he has. Anyone want to explain ? When Mourinho was the manager , the narrative was him , being paid 16m per year , must get the best out of Ndombele ,Dier , Alli , Sanchez, Aurier etc. Now suddenly all those players are crap and Conte must be backed ? Why he didn't just coach all of them if he was a prime time manager ?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
if he did walk out without a single achievement , does that mean he is now a toxic finished manager ? I still don't understand how a prime manager like Conte needs to be backed with new players while a finished dinosaur Mourinho has to work and get the best out of what he has. Anyone want to explain ? When Mourinho was the manager , the narrative was him , being paid 16m per year , must get the best out of Ndombele ,Dier , Alli , Sanchez, Aurier etc. Now suddenly all those players are crap and Conte must be backed ? Why he didn't just coach all of them if he was a prime time manager ?
I guess it is the fact a succession of managers that have got nothing out of those players, at what point do you stop pointing the finger at the manager(s) and start pointing it at the players? If Pochettino, Jose, Nuno, Conte cannot get Ndombele motivated enough to even turn up to training on time at some point you start to think maybe the issue lies with the player and not the manager.

I think Dier has improved steadily in the Defender role, the others though need to be turfed out and sold.

Pintu

He did something similar at Juventus with Simone Pepe and Giaccherini. He even astonishingly put Giaccherini (and Eder) to use when he was managing the Italian national team (2014-16). That Italian national team was probably as talentless as they come and he somehow had it dominating Belguim and Spain and beating them quite confortably and then dragging Germany to the shootouts.

This. They are almost copying exactly what we did with Mourinho in his last season with us. You simply don’t get a world class manager and not give him a budget. Now he won’t be as personally invested in the job as none of the players were his decisions and they have given him a good reason for doing a bad job/walking away.

arthurka

Conte and Tottenham was always going to be problematic, I am actually interested in how and when this will all implode.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He made a mistake accepting the job, to much of a hurry to get back in the game , I'd imagine if he had more patience he could have landed a juve , madrid type job soon as they seem to be getting available soon.

Overall He will regret this in the long term, no matter how much of winner you are, spurs will drain that out of you it's their specialty.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He (Conte) was very much critisisied for his second season with us.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Should’ve gone to Newcastle.

I know that sounds weird given Newcastle’s current position, but it’s a job that suits him so much more with endless spending power vs dealing with Levy.

I also think Howe would’ve been better suited to Spurs!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Let's see what happens before the end of the window. Hopefully we can get a few deals over the line.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Pochettino must have done more than miracles at Spurs and now all the spurs fans are seeing it. Conte not being backed is nothing new. It is how Spurs operate. Jose expenditure however looks like an anomaly at the moment.

Conte is a good manager, but even he knows that if he is not provided the resource he needs, he won’t be able to achieve anything significant. Conte isn’t a manager that is known of doing a lot with little. If Spurs was finally to back a Manager then Conte is definitely the one that they should back. They shouldn’t have backed Mourinho and they should have backed Pochettino. Pochettino even complained about it after sending spurs to the champions league final, saying something along the line that for spurs to be a big club, they will have to start spending big. But, even if they do start spending it is hard for them to attract top players because……….. lads it is spurs:). The lure of a manager like Conte should help them a bit in that department.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Seems more likely that he’ll get backed…by Paratici overpaying for Juve’s trash players.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Now now...your club had been chasing him for awhile, he doesn't suddenly become trash because he's about to sign for spurs
Bentancur? Don’t think we’ve ever been linked. We have been linked to Kulusevski a few times but I’ve never seen anything serious and we have two right wingers already.

In any case, Paratici scouring the market only to spend big money on players from Juve he helped bring in previously and who haven’t made it there should be a big red flag.

Pep's Suit

So is Bentancur any better than Lo Celso and Kulusevski than Moura or Lamela? Both scream 'mid-table' to me.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
So is Bentancur any better than Lo Celso and Kulusevski than Moura or Lamela? Both scream 'mid-table' to me.
What is important for Conte is if this players are fitting better on his system. He won the Premier League with Victor Moses as his preferred wing-back and he was far from a world class at that time.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Bentancur? Don’t think we’ve ever been linked. We have been linked to Kulusevski a few times but I’ve never seen anything serious and we have two right wingers already.

In any case, Paratici scouring the market only to spend big money on players from Juve he helped bring in previously and who haven’t made it there should be a big red flag.
Paratici is a disaster. Ruined Juve as soon as he took over from Marotta (sp). At Tottenham he hired Nuno, Emerson Royal, Bryan Gil. He’s already trying to replace Emerson Royal and will probably be onto his third coach in the summer. I remember 4-5 years back there were some on here who were really bugging him up.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Unless they're requests from Conte, after Adama Traorè slipped to Barcellona, I can already see him resigning.

Anyway on behalf of Juventus fans if Fabio manage to fools Tottenham owner into paying we would thank him and forgive him (partly) for all the mistakes he made (some can't be forgiven)

Arios

Supports
Juventus
What is important for Conte is if this players are fitting better on his system. He won the Premier League with Victor Moses as his preferred wing-back and he was far from a world class at that time.
I don't understand why but Conte wanted Kulusesvki even at Inter
But I can't understand where he would play him.
He a right winger not a rwb. He isn't fast enough to go up and down multiple times.
We tried Kulusevki in another position since Chiesa is much better than him but he didn't shine

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
They can have Rabiot and Ramsey, too. Add Arthur. Whole midfield of internationals. We will make a good price.

Last edited: