Conte | Spurs Manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't know we are discussing trips in the Conte thread. Happy trails.
Ofcourse we are when the person who comes up with " i always show up even when Spurs lose" goes into hiding during shit period and then shows up when they finish top 4.

Btw it was hilarious to see you backtrack on Jose, would be interesting to see your views on Conte and short-term managers.

Korwas

Nuno:
5-0-5
0,9 GF/game
1,6 GA/game
1.063xG/g
1.598xGA/g

Conte:
17-5-6
2,1 GF/game
0,9 GA/game
2.04xG/g
0.99xGA/g

As expected of a top 3 manager in the world. I don't understand why some people are mad at the Glazers for not hiring the guy though. If the Glazers were to go to the biggest United forum in the world (RedCafe) after the Liverpool loss they would've found a poll where a majority didn't want Conte as a manager (https://www.redcafe.net/threads/would-you-take-conte-at-united.463090/page-110). So even if the Glazers listened to the fans they wouldn't have hired Conte anyway because people felt he is just like Simeone and Mourinho. Here's GF in Conte's previous 4 seasons as a manager.
Conte
16-17: 85
17-18: 62
19-20: 81
20-21: 89
Total GF: 317

Klopp
16-17: 78
17-18: 84
19-20: 85
20-21: 68
Total GF: 315

Mourinho
16-17: 54
17-18: 68*
19-20: 61*
Total GF: 251
*only coached half season, used team total for full season

Simeone
16-17: 70
17-18: 58
19-20: 51
20-21: 67
Total GF: 247

It annoyed me when people kept saying that Conte is just like Mourinho when his teams score like Klopps. Pep ofcourse is a level above.

ForeverRed1

I just finished reading a article which stated that back in October the board asked Ronaldo what his thoughts are on conte and he didn’t want him, so they didn’t go for him.

that is utter madness

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Nuno:
5-0-5
0,9 GF/game
1,6 GA/game
1.063xG/g
1.598xGA/g

Conte:
17-5-6
2,1 GF/game
0,9 GA/game
2.04xG/g
0.99xGA/g

As expected of a top 3 manager in the world. I don't understand why some people are mad at the Glazers for not hiring the guy though. If the Glazers were to go to the biggest United forum in the world (RedCafe) after the Liverpool loss they would've found a poll where a majority didn't want Conte as a manager (https://www.redcafe.net/threads/would-you-take-conte-at-united.463090/page-110). So even if the Glazers listened to the fans they wouldn't have hired Conte anyway because people felt he is just like Simeone and Mourinho. Here's GF in Conte's previous 4 seasons as a manager.
Conte
16-17: 85
17-18: 62
19-20: 81
20-21: 89
Total GF: 317

Klopp
16-17: 78
17-18: 84
19-20: 85
Total GF: 315

Mourinho
16-17: 54
17-18: 68*
19-20: 61*
Total GF: 251
*only coached half season, used team total for full season

Simeone
16-17: 70
17-18: 58
19-20: 51
20-21: 67
Total GF: 247

It annoyed me when people kept saying that Conte is just like Mourinho when his teams score like Klopps. Pep ofcourse is a level above.
Considering the resources he got compare to pep and klopp he is indeed one of the greatest. I said it when he was appointed as spurs manager he will finish in top 4. Said man utd need his hard man approach to go fight with city and liverpool even before they sacked ole. Its ok if he was on another job and didnt want to approach him. But he was available and got the best out of pogba when he played under him. I just hate it he is doing well for spurs for obvious reasons and united for all their mistake missing opportunity to sign one of the top 5 managers at present could be biggest of all.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... it was hilarious to see you backtrack on Jose, would be interesting to see your views on Conte and short-term managers.
I didn't back-track on Jose. When he was appointed I said Pochettino should not have been sacked. As for Conte, it looks like he'll be with us next season. After that, who knows, he might surprise people and stick around longer

United should have tried to get Conte before he came to Spurs - then you would have probably finished top 4 instead of us. Some United fans say, "ah well, we're building for the long term and thus want a long-term manager", but this ignores the fact that being in the CL brings in a lot of extra money and makes it easier to sign quality players - both of which help when building for the longer term.

But now, with only EL football to offer, to attract quality players United will probably need to offer over-the-top wages, which in turn detracts from the money available for signing fees, which again doesn't help when trying to build for the longer term.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fair play to Conte. I really thought he made a mistake going to Spurs but he's come out of this smelling of roses.

roonster09

Scout
I didn't back-track on Jose. When he was appointed I said Pochettino should not have been sacked. As for Conte, it looks like he'll be with us next season. After that, who knows, he might surprise people and stick around longer

United should have tried to get Conte before he came to Spurs - then you would have probably finished top 4 instead of us. Some United fans say, "ah well, we're building for the long term and thus want a long-term manager", but this ignores the fact that being in the CL brings in a lot of extra money and makes it easier to sign quality players - both of which help when building for the longer term.

But now, with only EL football to offer, to attract quality players United will probably need to offer over-the-top wages, which in turn detracts from the money available for signing fees, which again doesn't help when trying to build for the longer term.
I'm sure they are all lining up outside cheese room to sign for Spurs.

Wilt

When Conte arrived at Spurs they were 7/1 to finish top 4 ….he’s done far better than expected.

romufc

Done a good job at Spurs, lets see how much they are willing to back him.

roonster09

Scout
Done a good job at Spurs, lets see how much they are willing to back him.
Looks like big money will be spent on making the loan deals into permanent ones. Some reports that they will be paying Reguilon fee this summer.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looks like big money will be spent on making the loan deals into permanent ones. Some reports that they will be paying Reguilon fee this summer.
Remember we are most likely selling N'Dombele and Lo Celso this summer which should bring in enough to cover the signings of Romero and Kulusevski (both fees for these two have already been agreed). Any reports of us having to sign Reguilon are way off the mark as we have already signed him permanently, it's just that Madrid have an option to resign him in the first 2 years for a set fee (which I think they are unlikely to do) but even so, I think we may look to sell him anyway.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Kane staying is a blessing. If he left and Conte brought in Lukaku, they would have finished worse.

romufc

Yeah which is about 60m for Romero and Kulu, lets see how much more they spend.

roonster09

Scout
Remember we are most likely selling N'Dombele and Lo Celso this summer which should bring in enough to cover the signings of Romero and Kulusevski.
Which teams are in for them? I doubt you will be getting 75 million for both of them (assuming 45M for Romero and 30M for Kulu).

Also not sure how reliable, read Spurs will be paying transfer fee this season for Reguilon and also backup GK is also on loan. So just to retain the squad, Spurs have to spend good money, on top of that, Conte is relentless in his demands.

Wilt

I just finished reading a article which stated that back in October the board asked Ronaldo what his thoughts are on conte and he didn’t want him, so they didn’t go for him.

that is utter madness
Ffs hope this isn’t true!

It should never be allowed for a player (especially one that’s in the twilight of his career) to have so much input on such an important decision.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Which teams are in for them? I doubt you will be getting 75 million for both of them (assuming 45M for Romero and 30M for Kulu).

Also not sure how reliable, read Spurs will be paying transfer fee this season for Reguilon and also backup GK is also on loan. So just to retain the squad, Spurs have to spend good money, on top of that, Conte is relentless in his demands.
We might not get enough to cover the total fees but between Lo Celso (I'd say we could get 25-30m for him) and N'Dombele (35-40m) we should get the bulk of it paid hopefully. Conte simply must be backed this summer and backed well. That doesnt necessarily mean we spend £150-200m (because we probably can't) but we need to look for the right players for the right price. If this January window taught us anything it shows that it is possible to get very good players for relatively little output - Bentancur for around £20m was ridiculously good (already paid), Kulu for what will be around £35m which again is crazy good value, even Romero at £42m is very good value for money when you consider the Maguire fee. If we spend lets say £100m (on top of spending the money we hopefully get from those sales) and get three more players in of the same quality of Kulu and Bentancur then that would really improve the team and squad and I think that is perfectly doable. We are looking at 2 possibilities for back-up GK, both are English and both would be free transfers.

roonster09

Scout
We might not get enough to cover the total fees but between Lo Celso (I'd say we could get 25-30m for him) and N'Dombele (35-40m) we should get the bulk of it paid hopefully. Conte simply must be backed this summer and backed well. That doesnt necessarily mean we spend £150-200m (because we probably can't) but we need to look for the right players for the right price. If this January window taught us anything it shows that it is possible to get very good players for relatively little output - Bentancur for around £20m was ridiculously good, Kulu for what will be around £35m which again is crazy good value. If we spend lets say £100m (on top of spending the money we hopefully get from those sales) and get three more players in of the same quality of Kulu and Bentancur then that would really improve the team and squad and I think that is perfectly doable.
Yeah, there will always be quality players available for decent price, it's not just straightforward. Spurs did well to sign both of them.

I really doubt anyone paying so much for Lo Celso and N'Dombele.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, there will always be quality players available for decent price, it's not just straightforward. Spurs did well to sign both of them.

I really doubt anyone paying so much for Lo Celso and N'Dombele.
Lo Celso is likely to be an easier sell than N'Dombele as he has been excellent for Villarreal so I think we will certainly get a lot of interest in him. N'Dombele god knows I could see the likes of PSG being interested in him. This summer there are quite a few really good players at the end of their contracts so there will be plenty of deals to be done and with Paratici in there I'm confident we will have a good summer. I think we will also look to sell Bergwijn (he wants to leave for more regular first team football) and Reguilon (He is a good left back but he really isn't a wing back).

Last edited:

OleksUsykUD

So he’s searching for a place to stay long term, but so far hasn’t found anywhere he can last longer than three seasons, with two seasons being about the average.

He’s got a personality that will eventually wear down himself or everyone else around him and that would have absolutely continued at United. He’d get pissed off at the board, pissed off at the players and leave. Absolutely not the man needed for a complete top to bottom reset, which is clearly what we need.

He’d have got us top four this year - personally I think most half decent managers would have. Ole got us top four, Jose got us top four, Conte is not the man to rebuild a club.

Finally, Kane was good in the second half of the season, certainly nowhere near terrible. Spurs may have been 9th when Conte took over, but it’s not like Conte took the 9th best team in the league and made them the 4th best. They were in a false position.
Guardiola only now have stayed for more than 3 season in a club, and he is staying here, cause he is getting everything he want + there is zero pressure on him.

Every top manager has personality and big ego, if you still don't get that, than i don't know what to tell you. As far as piss off players, this is some major b.c. Most of the players loves him. And the team he left are doing absolutely great. Even Alegri admitted that he was ridding on Conte Juventus wave.

What you think we needed, it's your opinion, let other have for themselves. I find the whole project for 10th time already a complete joke excuse, which will last until the next failed manager. I hope ETH is up to the task, but i'm still skeptical. I hope he prove me wrong.

As far as Conte is not the man to rebuild a team, is that a joke ? But what to expect from people who were screaming NO we don't want Conte, cause he is the same as Jose, which could not be so far out from reality. The same with the defensive excuses some poster have when there was a chance to appoint him at the club.

By i digress, let me back on the rebuild. Who exactly did that at Juventus ? He build that team from the scratch. Chelsea finished 10th, he made them Champion straight away. And lay the fundamentals of that team with Also, Kante, Rudiger and so on. Same with Inter, as he transform that team, that is still going strong.

I saw that you say his transfers aren't that good, which is another nonsenses. His transfers are ridiculous strong. He is always spot on. You can exclude Chelsea season 2, as he had a huge burst with their Lady Marina Granjovska or whatever her name is. He himself said the player they brought wasn't his choice, but the board.

Chelsea is a well known club for changing coaches, so i don't see how can anyone blame him for there. At Juventus there was a burst with Juventus president, but they wanted to sell his best players and the same time criticize him for the CL run. Inter wanted to sell half the squad + make Conte to lower his wage, who in his mind will do this, when he just become Champion with a team, that hasn't been Champion for the last 10 year?

At Tottenham obviously he is not there for the long run, but who knows. Conte is looking for himself obviously, which is a smart choice, he is having reputation that he care for.

At us he would have decent players + decent budget and there is no reason to go anywhere. And again he is a very smart man. He knows he won't have much choice for other big clubs if he was to leave us in a burst.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Without underestimating Spurs' CL qualification, I honestly don't get all these accolades being showered on him. Conte has been at Spurs since last November and Spurs have won nothing yet. The far less experienced Di Matteo and Arteta won silverware within 5 months of their appointments, so what's Conte's excuse? Until he leads Spurs to silverware which they really desperately need, he cannot be considered a success. I really hope he wins something especially considering Son and Kane are approaching 30 without anything to show for their careers. Spurs need to get rid of the nearly-men tag and start winning something tangible to be taken seriously. They have arguably the deadliest attacking partnership in Europe, so a lot is expected of them. For now, it's far too early to start showering him with all those accolades.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
We might not get enough to cover the total fees but between Lo Celso (I'd say we could get 25-30m for him) and N'Dombele (35-40m) we should get the bulk of it paid hopefully.
Who would possibly pay anything close to 35-40m for N'Dombele at this point? Spurs will be fortunate if they can find a team to loan him again that is willing to pay his full wages.

Lo Celso is an attacking midfielder who doesn't score or assist and at 26 is basically the finished article, not a young player you can project a lot of improvement onto. I don't think you're getting 25-30m for him. Emery seems to like him but Villarreal has never bought a player for more than 23m euro. I doubt they're eager to make an attacking midfielder who doesn't contribute in the final third their record signing.

Outside of England there are still very few clubs with real money to throw around in the transfer market these days.

Last edited:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Without underestimating Spurs' CL qualification, I honestly don't get all these accolades being showered on him. Conte has been at Spurs since last November and Spurs have won nothing yet. The far less experienced Di Matteo and Arteta won silverware within 5 months of their appointments, so what's Conte's excuse? Until he leads Spurs to silverware which they really desperately need, he cannot be considered a success. I really hope he wins something especially considering Son and Kane are approaching 30 without anything to show for their careers. Spurs need to get rid of the nearly-men tag and start winning something tangible to be taken seriously. They have arguably the deadliest attacking partnership in Europe, so a lot is expected of them. For now, it's far too early to start showering him with all those accolades.
I think he did a good job to turn the team around, especially given the level of crappiness that Nuno was presiding over.

But I agree that getting top four isn't a massive achievement on its own given that he had two of the best forwards in the PL, he basically didn't have to deal with European play, and Spurs stayed healthier than either Arsenal or United during the second half of the season. If you've got three teams equally in contention mid-year and you say that one side will have the best two goal scorers, enjoy the best health record, will be one of the two that don't have to play in Europe, and that one of the other competitors will completely implode in terms of team culture, then you would probably expect to come out on top.

Josh 76

You've just made that up, haven't you? I mean, if ten Hag was available and keen to leave Ajax mid-season, why didn't we get him in earlier?
I haven’t made it up.
Apparently he didn’t impress Spurs in his interview.

kthanksbye

I find it laughable when people just parrot the media narrative about Conte not being a long term manager or a manager who can build a team.

Juve had not won the league for 9 seasons when he joined, they won 3 in a row (one of them was an unbeaten season in the league) with him, Juve won 4 more after he left and their streak ended when Conte joined Inter and made them champions. While he was away, he won the PL and an FA cup with Chelsea

Let's look at the clubs he left. He resigned from Juve to manage Italy, then he went to Chelsea, and let's be real, all Chelsea managers are pretty much interim, he left Inter because the board was not backing him, and selling players. Unless you're going to blame him for leaving Siena for Juve in 2011, there is little evidence that he's not along term manager, under the right settings.

What he would've done is make noises and expose the board if they misbehaved. That's what the ManUtd hierarchy fears and that alone is the reason he's not our manager today. It's got nothing to do with him and his abilities as a manager, it's the club who does not want a man who calls them out in public.

One thing he can be criticized for is his below par European record. Let's look at that too.
With Juve
12-13 - (his first season in the CL) - Lost to Bayern in the quarter final. Bayern won the CL
13-14 - Finished 3rd. Lost in the Europa SF to Benfica.

With Chelsea
17-18 - Qualified from a group that had Roma and Atletico. Lost to Barca in the RO16.

With Inter
19-20 Finished 3rd in a group that had Dortmund and Barcelona. Lost Europa Final against Sevilla.

Make of that what you will, I always believe KO competitions aren't the best judge of a manager's credentials.

kthanksbye

Surely you can't be serious when you're comparing Conte to Arteta and Di Matteo, the guy has won 5 league titles, 3 in a row with Juve after 9 seasons of no league title, got Inter the title after 12 years, won the league in England. And you're going to downplay him because he did not win anything with Spurs in half a season?

:lol: for the bolded part.

kthanksbye

He has had eight jobs in management prior to this one and only stayed at one of them longer than two years (and that job he only stayed four). If that's not the sign of a short term manager, what is?

I think the problem for Spurs is that Conte wants to compete for the league. He is obsessed with winning the biggest trophies, he isn't going to be happy with top four and neither will he care about the domestic cups. But competing for the PL is incredibly hard right now with the quality of City and Liverpool, plus Spurs are basically nowhere near ready to do it. They have neither the quality in the first eleven nor the depth. Realistically, they need to add like 6 top class players (top class starting LWB, top class starting RWB, top class starting CM, top class starting LCB, very good backup striker, very good backup winger who can rotate with Son/Kulu and not see quality dip too much) and then they have to hope that a 29-year-old Kane and 30-year-old Son don't decline or start missing lots of time via injury, and then they might have a shot, but would still probably be underdogs to both City and Liverpool. That's going to take a massive outlay financially and they probably have to be willing to make some of those signings veteran players because Conte definitely prefers experience. CL will help for sure but they also already owe 80m for Romero and Kulu just to keep the team they have.
Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta and Siena were 4 of them. He's a lot better than that. He left Juve to manage Italy, I'll leave it to your wisdom if you want to consider leaving Chelsea as a sign of not being a long term manager, Inter refused to back him in the market, I respect that more than becoming a mouthpiece for the board.

haru krentz

We'd be finishing in top 4 comfortably with him and perhaps winning FA Cup too and the best part about appointing him is that he would still be EXPOSING the players and the board as hes one of the loudmouth managers in the world. Exposing players/board while winning the games, isnt that great? Of course our board was too chickened out to hire him though.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It is going to be interesting. Paratici knows him well, in that Conte wants to try and win the league, no matter what… so the board can’t bluff their way into promising 6-7 very good players only to get 2 or 3 plus a number of sidekicks. How much will they need, provided that Paratici can buy smart instead of flat (aka Bastoni instead of Kounde, etc.)? I would say in the region of £250m, on top of the sums needed to complete the purchase of the players currently on loan.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is going to be interesting. Paratici knows him well, in that Conte wants to try and win the league, no matter what… so the board can’t bluff their way into promising 6-7 very good players only to get 2 or 3 plus a number of sidekicks. How much will they need, provided that Paratici can buy smart instead of flat (aka Bastoni instead of Kounde, etc.)? I would say in the region of £250m, on top of the sums needed to complete the purchase of the players currently on loan.
There is no way we will spend anywhere near £250m this window - we may spend that over maybe 3 windows though. I think the budget for the summer is likely to be £100m tops and a lot of that will come from sales. We simply do not have that sort of money.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
There is no way we will spend anywhere near £250m this window - we may spend that over maybe 3 windows though. I think the budget for the summer is likely to be £100m tops and a lot of that will come from sales. We simply do not have that sort of money.
You guys need to shift dead wood off the wage bill like the forever injured/not fit Ndombele and Lo Celso, the clown brigade, Winks and Sanchez, your RB's. Whoever else is out on loan that I missed, im sure there are more. If you manage to do that, plus CL money, plus w/e Levy had set aside to initially back Conte, could be a decent war chest. But 250mil, no.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You guys need to shift dead wood off the wage bill like the forever injured/not fit Ndombele and Lo Celso, the clown brigade, Winks and Sanchez, your RB's. Whoever else is out on loan that I missed, im sure there are more. If you manage to do that, plus CL money, plus w/e Levy had set aside to initially back Conte, could be a decent war chest. But 250mil, no.
Yeah we will try and sell N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Winks and probably Doherty. I think we would listen to offers for Sanchez but he is fine as a squad player.