Cop in America doing a bad job, again

GiddyUp

They're also poorly paid and poorly treated. I'm not sure how you recruit better, when as soon as a recruit is given their badge they're treated as 'one of them.' That's not a criticism of your post by the way, just an observation.
Depending where you are and the overtime. Let's not pretend they need a 2nd job at McDonald's. Look at the training time for police in this country compared to others, it's a joke. Regarding the "one of them", some of the testimonials from police I've read who have actually done the right thing are shocking.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's society's failing that there are mentally ill people with guns out there. Asking cops to fix that is ridiculous.
It’s notable in this regard that one of Donald’s first Executive Orders was to peel back restrictions on people with a history of serious mental illness purchasing guns.

GiddyUp

It's society's failing that there are mentally ill people with guns out there. Asking cops to fix that is ridiculous.
Do you think police forces around the country have enough power to send this problem back to where it rightly should be? It would certainly go a long way in rebuilding community trust if they were to collectively advocate for proper facilities and treatment for mental illness.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Yes, is a part of the equation also, and is not asking the police to fix it, is asking not making it worse

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Depending where you are and the overtime. Let's not pretend they need a 2nd job at McDonald's. Look at the training time for police in this country compared to others, it's a joke. Regarding the "one of them", some of the testimonials from police I've read who have actually done the right thing are shocking.
Not at all, but then again, most jobs don't come with a very real possibility of getting assaulted or shot at. When you consider the absolute shit they have to deal with on a daily basis, they're hardly well rewarded. It's small wonder the level of some applicants isn't particularly high.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Not at all, but then again, most jobs don't come with a very real possibility of getting assaulted or shot at. When you consider the absolute shit they have to deal with on a daily basis, they're hardly well rewarded. It's small wonder the level of some applicants isn't particularly high.
Again, I am not trained and paid to deal with that level of shit. They are. They are trained and paid to deal with it. "protect and serve" not "panic and shoot". They know what his job consist on when they apply

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I just can't believe that i am defending police but USA police is just product of gun crazy society. They get a call to resolve situation with people who get a gun. Look, we can talk about nice approach and shit like that but IF that suspect doesn't react on first and second warning then it is his fault.
When cop tells you stand still then you stand still. If you are unhappy with him then sue him, police, town or whoever later. But at that moment you must listen to a man who has a gun ffs.

Also to be clear here; yes, some cops are just idiots with inferiority complex. But others are just product of society.
In 2020 in my country police killed zero people. Zero! Why is that? Because we are strict regarding guns and our mentality is that we don't need guns in our lives.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Same DA is pushing ahead with the murder charge

there’s that bit of hypocrisy, and there’s the fact that it’s an election year and he’s trailing in numbers due to a sex scandal and money laundering. The GBI didn’t even conclude their investigation but he jumped the gun and announced murder charges for the officer and aggravated assault for the partner.
I’m not too knowledgeable of the court process, but this all smells like a political stunt to me. Riding the local and national anti-cop sentiment he threw a hail-mary and I don’t really blame him.

anyone here in GA or know someone there? Is it true most of the officers in precincts have called off sick? Rumors that they’re not responding to any calls, and even neighboring departments are not lending assistance.

ivaldo

Again, I am not trained and paid to deal with that level of shit. They are. They are trained and paid to deal with it. "protect and serve" not "panic and shoot". They know what his job consist on when they apply
Such a stupid line of thought. If you were paid and 'trained' to their level - not that they are trained nearly to the level they should be - would you do the job? If yes, why aren't you doing it? If no, why? And do you think other people might share that point of view? Perhaps that's one of the reasons why the quality of recruits isn't up to the standard they need to be?

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It’s not as dangerous a job as it’s made out to be. The facts show that.
As for their training and pay; it seems they are under trained as regards to de- escalation and over paid with regard to their level of education.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Such a stupid line of thought. If you were paid and 'trained' to their level - not that they are trained nearly to the level they should be - would you do the job? If yes, why aren't you doing it? If no, why? And do you think other people might share that point of view? Perhaps that's one of the reasons why the quality of recruits isn't up to the standard they need to be?
You can disagree, mate. but saying it like this makes you an asshole and doesn't make your right

I don't want that risk even trained. Not even if I would know 100% that I would never be at risk. Not even a policeman in the safest country in the world. Is not for me

Then, on your points:

- Not trained enough? Train them more. If many other countries can, US can too
- Bad quality of recruits? If other countries have a better quality of recruits (via education, via more payment, etc...) or if their quality of recruits are the same with better results, US can do it too

Whoever applies to be a cop knows what they are getting into. Some they even wants it for the wrong reasons
Whoever recruit them, they know the training they receive and their "quality"

So if everybody knows, is their fault, not ours to expect that they are up to the professionalism that is expected from them and they are paid for and they agree to act like that when they sign a contract

Now, lets see. We have an unqualified recruit and undertrained cop. This cop signs a contract to "protect and serve" but instead he "panics and shoots on the back", he breached the contract. Why he has not only to be paid, but being bailed out and even if he quits or gets sacked, being able to get another contract and in some cases, being able to work in 10 or more different PD in their careers?

But yeah, a stupid train of thought and we are wrong in expecting better on a department that is being paid to do their job at least not as crappy as it seems

ivaldo

You can disagree, mate. but saying it like this makes you an asshole and doesn't make your right

I don't want that risk even trained. Not even if I would know 100% that I would never be at risk. Not even a policeman in the safest country in the world. Is not for me

Then, on your points:

- Not trained enough? Train them more. If many other countries can, US can too
- Bad quality of recruits? If other countries have a better quality of recruits (via education, via more payment, etc...) or if their quality of recruits are the same with better results, US can do it too

Whoever applies to be a cop knows what they are getting into. Some they even wants it for the wrong reasons
Whoever recruit them, they know the training they receive and their "quality"

So if everybody knows, is their fault, not ours to expect that they are up to the professionalism that is expected from them and they are paid for and they agree to act like that when they sign a contract

Now, lets see. We have an unqualified recruit and undertrained cop. This cop signs a contract to "protect and serve" but instead he "panics and shoots on the back", he breached the contract. Why he has not only to be paid, but being bailed out and even if he quits or gets sacked, being able to get another contract and in some cases, being able to work in 10 or more different PD in their careers?

But yeah, a stupid train of thought and we are wrong in expecting better on a department that is being paid to do their job at least not as crappy as it seems
I say it's stupid because it's the same reasoning given for abusing the likes of retail staff. It's ill-conceived and arrogant.

No it isn't. It's a difficult job at the best of times.

1. Who said they shouldn't be trained more? That's exactly my point.
  2. Yes, they can do better. But until they do better, dont expect anything to change. Try to separate the employers from the employees.
They think they do. The people that decide not to apply for the job also know what it entails; which is probably why they don't apply. Can you see where I'm going with this? I'm fairly confident not one of them KNOWS how they're going to react in a situation like this. Very few of us actually do. But until recruitment improves (and it'll only improve once the job becomes more desirable) then you're going to continue to get personnel apply and acquire employment who aren't suited for the job, because there is no one else. And let's be honest; there's a significant portion of the population who just hate coppers, regardless of how well they're trained or how much they desire to do good or change things. It's vilification by association. The police need to earn back the respect of the public, but the public also needs to give them the opportunity to earn it back.

But yeah. Well done for completely missing the point.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I say it's stupid because it's the same reasoning given for abusing the likes of retail staff. It's ill-conceived and arrogant.

No it isn't. It's a difficult job at the best of times.

1. Who said they shouldn't be trained more? That's exactly my point.
  2. Yes, they can do better. But until they do better, dont expect anything to change. Try to separate the employers from the employees.
They think they do. The people that decide not to apply for the job also know what it entails; which is probably why they don't apply. Can you see where I'm going with this? I'm fairly confident not one of them KNOWS how they're going to react in a situation like this. Very few of us actually do. But until recruitment improves (and it'll only improve once the job becomes more desirable) then you're going to continue to get personnel apply and acquire employment who aren't suited for the job, because there is no one else. And let's be honest; there's a significant portion of the population who just hate coppers, regardless of how well they're trained or how much they desire to do good or change things. It's vilification by association. The police need to earn back the respect of the public, but the public also needs to give them the opportunity to earn it back.

But yeah. Well done for completely missing the point.
You keep being an asshole with the way you answer

They sign for a job. They get paid for it. They do it wrong. Is their fault. We should ask for accountability. PERIOD. This is my point

Your point I don't care anymore the way you answer

Last edited:

roseguy64

Pointless. Itl be the same guys apply.

It needs restructured with severe penalties for overstepping the line.

It needs a culture change.

They done what your talking about in northern ireland.

Dismantled and replaced the RUC with PSNI but apart from those close to retirement age everyone was rehired is how I understand it went
That's useless then. Why would you rehire everyone including those who were trouble?

ivaldo

You keep being an asshole with the way you answer

They sign for a job. They get paid for it. They do it wrong. Is their fault. We should ask for accountability. PERIOD. This is my point

Your point I don't care anymore the way you answer
It's like you've not even bothered to read what I wrote. Standard black and white answers where you try to squeeze me into one or the other group you've created. At no point have I so much as implied there shouldn't be accountability.

That's the second time youve disagreed with something I haven't said. I don't fancy going down they road again. A crying shame. Bye.

arnie_ni

That's useless then. Why would you rehire everyone including those who were trouble?
Because they'll be the ones that apply?

Rebranding the police wont mean everyone all around the world clamouring for change will apply.

Everyone talks about making a difference, but these same people dont apply for the boots on the job ground where they can actually do it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
there’s that bit of hypocrisy, and there’s the fact that it’s an election year and he’s trailing in numbers due to a sex scandal and money laundering. The GBI didn’t even conclude their investigation but he jumped the gun and announced murder charges for the officer and aggravated assault for the partner.
I’m not too knowledgeable of the court process, but this all smells like a political stunt to me. Riding the local and national anti-cop sentiment he threw a hail-mary and I don’t really blame him.

anyone here in GA or know someone there? Is it true most of the officers in precincts have called off sick? Rumors that they’re not responding to any calls, and even neighboring departments are not lending assistance.
Just left Atlanta a couple of hours ago. There apparently was a spate of call outs, not as many as was discussed in the news, but it was significant.

roseguy64

Because they'll be the ones that apply?

Rebranding the police wont mean everyone all around the world clamouring for change will apply.

Everyone talks about making a difference, but these same people dont apply for the boots on the job ground where they can actually do it.
It would make more sense to hire them on probationary periods and replace those who fail with recruits. Obviously, you'd coordinate the hiring/firing with people graduating from academies so you can steadily replace the bad cops over time with better marketing to promote joining a new force.

Wouldn't expect to fire every police officer in a particular country/ state at once. But with a system.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I posted this in the Trump thread but probably more applicable to this thread. Little historical context of Texas Rangers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/...rs-doug-j-swanson.html?searchResultPosition=1
The True Story of the Texas Rangers
-- When the Civil War erupted in 1861, the Rangers sided with the Confederates. John “Rip” Ford, a seasoned Ranger fighter, boasted throughout Texas that slavery was ordained by the Lord Almighty. The Rangers’ horrific treatment of African-Americans after the war equaled that in Mississippi and Georgia. Between 1865 and 1930 there were 450 lynchings in Texas, mostly of blacks, which the Rangers ignored. “White citizens in many cases treated them as public entertainment — spontaneous and gruesome versions of the county fair,” Swanson writes. “Vendors circulated through the mobs with refreshments. Photographs of corpses hanging from nooses were sold, and mailed, as picture postcards.” --

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Same DA is pushing ahead with the murder charge

Part of me thinks that the only reason this particular case is getting so much attention and the cop is getting hit with such a hard sentence is because there is doubt. It's one where right-wingers and even some left-wingers (such as myself) can feel some sympathy for the cop. The victim fought back, stole a taser and attempted to use it on the police officer. I don't agree with the shooting, but I can understand it. That's more than I can say for so many of these other cases which are pretty much clear-cut murder, so why aren't those other cases being treated similarly? Of course there are the reports of kicking him and not doing anything to help him for a couple of minutes after the shooting which completely changes things, but there's no actual confirmation of that unless I've missed something.

I honestly suspect it's because they want to give the sensible right-wingers and police-sympathisers something to hold on to, to keep them on 'their side'. To feel that the cop is being treated unfairly and make them feel that all those other cases were similar. Sweep those other cases under the rug (even the George Floyd case to some extent) while this one gets all the attention.

It's a conspiracy theory, but that's how it feels to me at the moment.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Reading down that twitter thread it gets worse with every new comment.

I honestly can’t find the words.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
moral of the story: hide your vaseline :nervous: :annoyed:

People bleating on about how much better the UK cops are. Report on CNN this morning. The main difference between the UK and US is the absence of firearms.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Reading down that twitter thread it gets worse with every new comment.

I honestly can’t find the words.
This is what pisses me off when you see all these cops now playing the victim, tearing up at press conferences, doing sick-outs, protesting against reform, cheering on and supporting colleagues charged with misconduct.

They've literally been getting away with murder for decades. I can't get my head round why they don't understand all the criticism being levelled at their profession at the moment.

ivaldo

People bleating on about how much better the UK cops are. Report on CNN this morning. The main difference between the UK and US is the absence of firearms.

Do we have the rest of the video anywhere?