Cop in America doing a bad job, again

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Poor and white too...also anybody who disrespects their perceived authority. So anyone really.
So basically most of the population?

Keeps happening over and over again then something must be wrong, yet the fact it keeps happening over and over again means they must be unwilling to anything about it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Carolina Red

Staff

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
“The shot to the head was fired from "intermediate" range and penetrated Brown's skull and brain, according to Hall, who is based in Boone, North Carolina. The bullet wound had a trajectory of "bottom to top, left to right and back to front," Hall's report said.”

That’s... yeah, that sounds like an execution.
‘Bottom to top’ is a touch damning.

Wonder if that was the training or SOP like these apparently were?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Basically of youre a non-white person living in America and you get stopped by cops theres a high chance of you getting assaulted if not killed?
Statiscally there's not a very high chance of killed by the police, when there is about 50 mil police interactions every year and 10 mil arrests. Roughly 230 black people get killed by the police per year counting both armed and unarmed. In 2019 the number of unarmed black people killed was around 25 killed in total while those killed by shots was 15. The rate of getting roughed up/assaulted, being subjected to police misconduct/dickheads obviously much higher.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Statiscally there's not a very high chance of killed by the police, when there is about 50 mil police interactions every year and 10 mil arrests. Roughly 230 black people get killed by the police per year counting both armed and unarmed. In 2019 the number of unarmed black people killed was around 25 killed in total while those killed by shots was 15. The rate of getting roughed up/assaulted, being subjected to police misconduct/dickheads obviously much higher.
Yeah, just to put context to the perception, the actual odds of being killed by a cop are staggeringly small. And it's about 5% of even that number if you're unarmed.

Obviously it should be 0.

About 7x more people commit suicide by firearm than are killed by police each year. If you reduce that to unarmed, Americans are over 100x more likely to kill themselves with a firearm than to be killed by police if unarmed.

Gehrman

Yeah, just to put context to the perception, the actual odds of being killed by a cop are staggeringly small. And it's about 5% of even that number if you're unarmed.

About 7x more people commit suicide by firearm than are killed by police each year. If you reduce that to unarmed, Americans are over 100x more likely to kill themselves with a firearm than to be killed by police if unarmed.
I think the most shocking statistic ive come across is that the most common cause of the death for black males aged 1-45 in the US is homicide. The stat is from the CDC.

Vitro

I think the most shocking statistic ive come across is that the most common cause of the death for black males aged 1-45 in the US is homicide. The stat is from the CDC.
Surprising but I wouldn’t say all that surprising (considering young people tend to be healthier and it’s the US). I imagine the primary mortality causes homicide is competing with in that age group is suicide and motor vehicle accidents.

Gehrman

Surprising but I wouldn’t say all that surprising (considering young people tend to be healthier and it’s the US). I imagine the primary mortality causes homicide is competing with in that age group is suicide and motor vehicle accidents.
Death by homicide for 1-19 year olds is 35% and 29% for 20-44 year olds. Suicide is around 6 and 5 %. The 2nd leading cause of death is uintentional injuries which probably includes motor vehicle accidents.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

@Beachryan, this is not an attack on you or me thinking that this is your opinion, just that your post helped spur me to put in words what I have been pondering.

Until we get over this mentality of "hey, it's not that bad" we will never end this nightmare. I get it though, it is a way to force our brain to deal with the truth that those who are sworn to protect us will all to often kill or brutalize us instead, especially if we are a minority.

There are good LEO's out there. I think the ones we interact with on here have demonstrated this in their words. That being said, the evidence suggests a large percentage of them are bad or are cowards. The 3 cops in the CO video are all bad. The two male cops are straight up evil and the woman cop is complicit. I don't give a feck if she "looks distraught". She did not shut it down right away and, as far as we know, she never reported it. She is as guilty as they are and all of them should go to jail (but they won't). How many examples do we need of this to finally accept that policing is broken?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
@Beachryan, this is not an attack on you or me thinking that this is your opinion, just that your post helped spur me to put in words what I have been pondering.

Until we get over this mentality of "hey, it's not that bad" we will never end this nightmare. I get it though, it is a way to force our brain to deal with the truth that those who are sworn to protect us will all to often kill or brutalize us instead, especially if we are a minority.

There are good LEO's out there. I think the ones we interact with on here have demonstrated this in their words. That being said, the evidence suggests a large percentage of them are bad or are cowards. The 3 cops in the CO video are all bad. The two male cops are straight up evil and the woman cop is complicit. I don't give a feck if she "looks distraught". She did not shut it down right away and, as far as we know, she never reported it. She is as guilty as they are and all of them should go to jail (but they won't). How many examples do we need of this to finally accept that policing is broken?
Oh it is bad, anecdotally horrifying and obviously couldn't be firmer in the zeitgeist. But, I was responding to the comment above that suggested people should fear leaving their houses because they're going to get gunned down by a cop. ( Basically of youre a non-white person living in America and you get stopped by cops theres a high chance of you getting assaulted if not killed? ) That's simply not true. You're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the interaction.

But for me the problem is a firearm issue. Of course policing should have better training - I posted a great podcast on that topic a few pages back. That would reduce unnecessary killings, for sure. But, the US will always remain an outlier in police killings because it's the only major western country where the police HAVE to assume that a suspect is armed.

It's f*cking disgusting, but I think the best way to prevent partcularly young people being killed would be teaching them how absolutely crucial it is to immediately get their hands up in the air, clearly anytime they interact with a cop. We obviously shoudln't be at this stage, but we are.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not sure why this one is flying under the radar. I wonder if they went back to the office to joke about the funny sounds he made as he was dying.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Not sure why this one is flying under the radar.
Is it because he's "Mexican"?

The city also released the 911 calls that initially reported Gonzalez. .... Another caller said Gonzalez was talking to himself and "not doing anything wrong" but "just scaring my wife."
White people problems. Nice one, you got this guy killed because your wife was scared. Man the up feck up and protect her yourself, wuss.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is it because he's "Mexican"?
Probably, but also because it is on the West Coast. Having lived on both coasts the difference in coverage of non major (ie natural disaster) events is real.

White people problems. Nice one, you got this guy killed because your wife was scared. Man the up feck up and protect her yourself, wuss.
I don't put this on that guy at all, this one is on the "protect and serve" boys. This really does highlight the need to reform the police. This should have been handled by social workers or mental health professionals. At worst this guy was publicly intoxicated.

Dr. Dwayne

I don't put this on that guy at all, this one is on the "protect and serve" boys. This really does highlight the need to reform the police. This should have been handled by social workers or mental health professionals. At worst this guy was publicly intoxicated.
It's no different that the other multitude of white people who called the police on minorities for no reason that we saw last year. The caller even said he wasn't doing anything wrong but "my wife is scared", presumably because he was talking to himself and looking Mexican so the police should attend. People are ridiculous and the level of fear is insane. The caller probably watches Fox News. Hopefully they feel some remorse over the outcome that they contributed to.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's no different that the other multitude of white people who called the police on minorities for no reason that we saw last year. The caller even said he wasn't doing anything wrong but "my wife is scared", presumably because he was talking to himself and looking Mexican so the police should attend. People are ridiculous and the level of fear is insane. The caller probably watches Fox News. Hopefully they feel some remorse over the outcome that they contributed to.
I agree, but no blame for the guys death falls on the caller. He should not have called it in and he should feel shame and remorse for doing so, but the death of Mario is 100% on the LEO's.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Why cops are not the biggest gun control advocates in the world I will never know

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
This is worst I've seen with regards to this POS. The fact that she was choking her dog during her racist rant didn't sit well with me.

The Firestarter

It really is wild, isn't it?

I know a few cops who are... but they are definitely in the minority.
They are not advocating for gun control because they want bigger and better toys every year, and they need a justification to threaten with and ultimately use deadly force whenever they wish. Which probably helps validate them as "men" ?
Is this a fair assessment?

Carolina Red

Staff
They are not advocating for gun control because they want bigger and better toys every year, and they need a justification to threaten with and ultimately use deadly force whenever they wish. Which probably helps validate them as "men" ?
I mean, maybe. I know a lot of them that I know are also from the rural South like me and therefore guns (and strict adherence to the 2nd Amendment) have been part of their upbringing.

Dr. Dwayne

To be fair, police forces aren't usually subject to the same gun control measures as civilians. What I have heard from officers is that they would rather see other measures put in place to reduce poverty/create opportunity and, in turn, the number of people who turn to crime rather than spending loads of money on gun control that may not be effective (i.e., gun registries).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

It’s the exact opposite of the gun control debate.

‘It’s not that often where police kill / it’s not that bad’ v. ‘we will never get rid of guns, so why try to have even a little improvement?’

It’s fine when only a small percentage of police / civilian interactions end up in unnecessary deaths but we shouldn’t try to eliminate even a small percentage of gun violence.

It’s amazing how both sides have been co-opted by many the same people in these debates (not necessarily in here, but in society). Zero sum needs to happen for gun control, but non zero sum is perfectly fine for violent policing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why cops are not the biggest gun control advocates in the world I will never know

Can’t maintain the LARP cosplay if the specter of guns aren’t out there.

Goes right back to the co-opting of the different sides of each debate for their own purposes.

We worry about negative feedback loops in the environment in the near future, we already have such in these debates in this country.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Police Drag Elderly Black Woman From Car By Her Hair

The aggressiveness truly is something else. Also the extreme entitlement that everybody has to notice them immediately and pull over right away.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Another high risk felony stop, it seems.

My question is ‘what isn’t?’

Christ, did they spike her fecking tires too?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
She was doing 80 in a 70, that definitely seems like justification for approaching her with weapons drawn and literally dragging her from her car.

fecking cnuts.

Ludens the Red

Police Drag Elderly Black Woman From Car By Her Hair

What the actual feck?

What is wrong with these idiots?

Even if, and it’s a big if, you thought the person was failing to stop. The minute the person actually stops and then they turn up to be an old woman alone in a car, why the feck are you dragging her to the floor and putting her in rare handcuffs.

Literally the most painful handcuffing technique. The minute you realised it was innocuous you get her out the cuffs. Absolute cnuts.