Cop in America doing a bad job, again

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
https://www.latimes.com/california/...out-of-covid-19-vaccination-mandate?_amp=true

it’s turned into a high-stakes game of chicken at this point. We’ll see how many of the hard-liners stand their ground risking their careers. And it’ll be interesting to see how many of those filing exemptions get approved by the city officials.

Unions deciding to fight the mandates need to be wary, because it’s really a losing battle based on precedent. But there is a case for breaching labor laws, and that both sides need to negotiate the terms and details of any mandate as it pertains to changes in work conditions.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
l o l, l m a o

We can laugh all we want, but we have to acknowledge that their training and education must be so, so poor. Sheriff departments are saving on the wrong end - and people are paying with their lives.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We can laugh all we want, but we have to acknowledge that their training and education must be so, so poor. Sheriff departments are saving on the wrong end - and people are paying with their lives.
Don’t forget the average educational background & emotional & intellectual maturity of a large portion of those who apply for a police job.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Don’t forget the average educational background & emotional & intellectual maturity of a large portion of those who apply for a police job.
True that - all the more reason to invest in longer and proper training. Some of the training in the past was also very poor or even contributed to this situation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Spotlights do some good work in this country…

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Agreed, and he was aiming it at the cop in the jetpack so justified shooting in my book.
:lol:

-----------------------

He's not unarmed and they'll claim he wasn't obeying instructions. That, sadly, is probably enough to be "justified" in shooting him. Trigger happy twats are the backbone of the service and need to be protected.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
" I can't breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That's my house. I was just going home. I'm an introvert. I'm just different. That's all. I'm so sorry. I have no gun. I don't do that stuff. I don't do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don't even kill flies! I don't eat meat! But I don't judge people, I don't judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I'll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I'm a mood Gemini. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Ow, that really hurt! You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to do that. I just can't breathe correctly. "

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
203 pages of bad apples. It is a big country though, so you’re going to find lots of shitty cops. I’m sure the good ones are absolutely furious.

Skizzo

203 pages of bad apples. It is a big country though, so you’re going to find lots of shitty cops. I’m sure the good ones are absolutely furious.
There’s certainly plenty of painting everyone with the same brush that happens with this discussion. I don’t think anyone disagrees that things could be done better in certain areas, and definitely there’s been incidents highlighted that have been heinous in nature.

That being said, let’s say each post on those 203 pages was each about an officer doing something we can all agree is unjustified. That’s coming about to approximately 1% of the officers in the US. That’s not even taking into account the number of actual contacts made.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
There’s certainly plenty of painting everyone with the same brush that happens with this discussion. I don’t think anyone disagrees that things could be done better in certain areas, and definitely there’s been incidents highlighted that have been heinous in nature.

That being said, let’s say each post on those 203 pages was each about an officer doing something we can all agree is unjustified. That’s coming about to approximately 1% of the officers in the US. That’s not even taking into account the number of actual contacts made.
But it's not just the unjustified violence, is it? The worst part is that every time something awful is done by a police officer the officer's department tries to cover it up and silence whistleblowers. That means it's no longer just one bad apple but a whole department except the whistleblower(s).

Skizzo

But it's not just the unjustified violence, is it? The worst part is that every time something awful is done by a police officer the officer's department tries to cover it up and silence whistleblowers. That means it's no longer just one bad apple but a whole department except the whistleblower(s).
Not at all. I agree that things always need looking at from top to bottom. The issue that’s creeping in now is that things are being so overly scrutinized in every instance that departments are erring so far on the side of caution that officers aren’t able to do the job safely in fear of not being backed when they’re justified in their actions. There’s still an overwhelming majority of officers and departments that get swept up in the generalizations that are unfairly thrown around. Shouting ACAB and crying to defund doesn’t look to solve the issues at hand.

Even if it was .1%, I think there would still be benefits of constantly evaluating and training and trying to improve. Respect should be shown both ways, but I don’t expect someone to respect an officer just because of a uniform, just like they shouldn’t expect to be treated with a lack of respect due to the Circumstances of the contact. At the end of the day, we’re all people and should be looked at and treated as such.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

How does this story, posted earlier, fit into the a few rotten apples/ people can't even do their jobs safely anymore, because of lack of backing, theory?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You’re posing the question as if I think that was the correct outcome.
That was not at all what I was trying to say. To me your posts read like you were trying to say that with so many police officers around, some bad one are bound to slip through the cracks or do something wrong. However in the case I've linked we see the police union voting 35-1 to expell someone for "doing the right thing" and other authorities trying to lock him up even. All in contrast to a slap on the wrist for the people he exposed. That screams systematic issue to me.

Skizzo

That was not at all what I was trying to say. To me your posts read like you were trying to say that with so many police officers around, some bad one are bound to slip through the cracks or do something wrong. However in the case I've linked we see the police union voting 35-1 to expell someone for "doing the right thing" and other authorities trying to lock him up even. All in contrast to a slap on the wrist for the people he exposed. That screams systematic issue to me.
I think an issue there is that each city, state, county etc can all have their own departments. Different ways of handling things across different states, never mind the country. I believe all officers should speak out on misconduct, but I also believe departments should back their officers when things are justified and not back down in the face of public outcry in situations they don’t have all the details to. (Not saying that’s what happened in this above situation btw). Those two things don’t have to be mutually exclusive. In this case, yeah I think it was BS.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
One thing to note is that police departments are one of the most toxic places to work. I don’t know anything about Joliet, Illinois but it sounds like a clusterfeck of a department from the article posted.