Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
The police officer has been sacked. The victim had evidently stolen a toolbox and was making his "escape". He had a knife, but couldn't walk.

What. The. feck?

That 9th shot... :eek:... "yeah, I'd shot him8 times, at close range, but I noticed him turning his mobility scooter in my direction and felt my life is in danger. Granted he may have just been slumping forward after I'd riddled him with 8 close range shots, but I felt...... DANGER!"

Jesus Christ, if that's not murder America hasn't just jumped the shark, they've double somersaulted that bitch in a flaming toutou.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Christ, has the officer tried to claim a reason for shooting. A mobility scooter heading away from you is hardly a threat. If they don't charge him with murder, I don't know what to think.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Christ, has the officer tried to claim a reason for shooting. A mobility scooter heading away from you is hardly a threat. If they don't charge him with murder, I don't know what to think.
Using the excuse that the victim was carrying a knife seems ridiculous in the extreme.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Using the excuse that the victim was carrying a knife seems ridiculous in the extreme.
More so when you can legally walk around with assaults rifles in the country. I would think you could easily clear an area away from someone in a buggy if you had to, or stop the buggy easily.

Cloud7

Thats a fecking execution, cold blooded murder. No two ways about it. fecking animals.
Doing a disservice to animals here mate. Animals don’t kill in cold blood like this just for the fun of it. These lot are scum, nothing more. The scum that clogs up your drains and pipelines.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I find the cuffing of a slumped clearly dead/dying disabled man by two officers, one of whom is his executioner, to be the most twisted and surreal part of the footage; for the shooter to have the presence of mind to be superfluous with his actions as to make it look like a routine arrest and following of procedure really makes me wonder how much premeditation went into that murder.

There wasn’t a hint of shock or moments in which he collected himself; he just went from nonchalantly unloading eight bullets without warning, to pausing for a calculated ninth before going through the motions of a valid arrest, which it wouldn’t be hard to believe was almost wholly for the benefit of others and to give his actions validity upon review.

His entire body of work as a police officer needs to be investigated. It’s hard to believe someone who can act the way he did from start to finish in that footage is on his first rodeo where excessive force is concerned.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
At least no one died, but the real drama was a 60+ old man holding his own against a cop…

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
My hometown.

Not surprised at all. When the Rodney King riots began TPD set up blockades at all the major intersections coming into Torrance..... well not all of them, just the ones that bordered Lawndale/Hawthorne/Gardena (guess what all those cities have in common). Anyone who "didn't look right" was stopped and asked to show ID proving they lived in Torrance.

Also during the riots 3 squad cars zoomed up in front of our house and the officers used my dads truck as a shield to arrest my neighbor who was walking down the street at gunpoint. Guess what my neighbor looked like.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
My hometown.

Not surprised at all. When the Rodney King riots began TPD set up blockades at all the major intersections coming into Torrance..... well not all of them, just the ones that bordered Lawndale/Hawthorne/Gardena (guess what all those cities have in common). Anyone who "didn't look right" was stopped and asked to show ID proving they lived in Torrance.

Also during the riots 3 squad cars zoomed up in front of our house and the officers used my dads truck as a shield to arrest my neighbor who was walking down the street at gunpoint. Guess what my neighbor looked like.
They’re notorious for being racist. With that said, they have a lot of backing and support from their community and city leaders. Proactive and aggressive policing is supported, especially against “outsiders”. That community support allows them to have one of the highest paying departments in the area, and have no shortages of recruits or outside officers wanting to join. They also have a notoriously high fail rate for probationary officers. If you don’t conform to their mold, they’ll fail you out.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They’re notorious for being racist. With that said, they have a lot of backing and support from their community and city leaders. Proactive and aggressive policing is supported, especially against “outsiders”. That community support allows them to have one of the highest paying departments in the area, and have no shortages of recruits or outside officers wanting to join. They also have a notoriously high fail rate for probationary officers. If you don’t conform to their mold, they’ll fail you out.
not surprising at all. I was in the Explorer program for TPD and have talked about my experiences in this thread. Even as as 15 year old who lived in a “always respect authority no mater what” household I knew TPD was fecked up.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The police officer has been sacked. The victim had evidently stolen a toolbox and was making his "escape". He had a knife, but couldn't walk.

Wow is there more to this story than just the officer being sacked? That's straight up murder.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Two days before Christmas. Animals.

they will probably get a medal for killing the suspect and a “whoopsy” for gunning down a child.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

they will probably get a medal for killing the suspect and a “whoopsy” for gunning down a child.

Apparently she was trying on dresses for her quinceañera - absolutely heartbreaking.
I know its a foreign concept to some, but breaking the law doesn't mean you deserve a death sentence. Cops (and citizens) too often rely on someone being a "criminal" as justification for shooting first and going through due process later.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Apparently she was trying on dresses for her quinceañera - absolutely heartbreaking.
I know its a foreign concept to some, but breaking the law doesn't mean you deserve a death sentence. Cops (and citizens) too often rely on someone being a "criminal" as justification for shooting first and going through due process later.
When the only tool you know how to use is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Get ready for stories about how the killer “feared for his/her life” and “they are devastated by this tragedy”. They only things cops do better than racism and murdering civilians is whitewashing those very actions.

Abizzz

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/us/pennsylvania-trooper-jay-splain-investigation.html

That was the first killing. Trooper Splain went on to fatally shoot three more people in separate incidents, an extraordinary tally for an officer responsible for patrolling largely rural areas with low rates of violent crime. All four who died were troubled, struggling with drugs, mental illness or both.
It’s not clear how common it is for police officers to fatally shoot multiple people during their careers. No database keeps track. In 2012, an officer in Scottsdale, Ariz., retired after his sixth fatal shooting. In 2015, a sheriff’s deputy in Broward County, Fla., was involved in his fourth fatal shooting.
Incredible that a single officer can kill as many civilians as entire police forces in a year in other places. Even if all of them were justified... Anyone I'd trust to be a cop would surely move to a desk job after say the third person shot...

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.