Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Skizzo

Just a non-profit, but :lol:

The National Police Association (NPA) announced today their latest public service announcement, which is the first educational campaign to inform on the dangers of filming, instead of helping, struggling police officers. The "Assist the Officer" PSA campaign urges listeners and viewers to help law enforcement that appear to be struggling while completing an arrest by calling 9-1-1, rather than merely film an officer in danger for social media.

On October 9, 2020, a Baltimore MTA police officer was found unconscious at the Upton Metro Subway station, with no citizens rendering aid. Instead, an individual chose to film the incapacitated officer with a cell phone to post on social media. On October 17, 2020, a North Carolina police officer was airlifted to a hospital after brutally being beaten, and once again, instead of helping this officer a bystander stood by and filmed the incident. Citizens across the country have taken to filming and posting officers in danger to their social media channels rather than calling 9-1-1. Through the "Assist the Officer" PSA, the NPA aims to create awareness around the dangers posed to both officers and citizens when passersby choose to merely film officers in danger with their phones instead of calling 9-1-1 for assistance.
I get the whole “keep police accountable” angle, so feel free to keep recording. But as a general rule, how many times do people stand by and watch incidents unfold and do nothing but record or watch and let someone lay around seriously injured, and I’m not even talking specifically about law enforcement. This isn’t asking people to not record enforcement contacts or anything like that, it’s directly in response to incidents where people needed medical assistance and rather than call 911, people recorded and did nothing to help.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Just a non-profit, but :lol:

Er, yeah. Interfere with police and you'll end up arrested or shot. No thanks. Obviously the examples Skizzo highlighted would be common sense (i.e. helping someone in obvious distress) but you can understand why Twitter would ridicule this message.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I get the whole “keep police accountable” angle, so feel free to keep recording. But as a general rule, how many times do people stand by and watch incidents unfold and do nothing but record or watch and let someone lay around seriously injured, and I’m not even talking specifically about law enforcement. This isn’t asking people to not record enforcement contacts or anything like that, it’s directly in response to incidents where people needed medical assistance and rather than call 911, people recorded and did nothing to help.
You are correct regarding the more extreme injuries, accidents, etc., there’s a perverse voyeurism that exists in the public, but there’s a part of this that smacks of not wanting police to be recorded for the sheer fact that more police misconduct is being illuminated. It benefits the police on both fronts & the cynic in me sees it more for the wanting of misdeeds to be less broadcasted.

Skizzo

You are correct regarding the more extreme injuries, accidents, etc., there’s a perverse voyeurism that exists in the public, but there’s a part of this that smacks of not wanting police to be recorded for the sheer fact that more police misconduct is being illuminated. It benefits the police on both fronts & the cynic in me sees it more for the wanting of misdeeds to be less broadcasted.
I get that skeptical part, especially since there’s plenty of videos that have made the rounds with officers being aggressive towards people filming. The examples used in the original post were all highlighted with examples of extreme injuries, and not in relation to a traffic stop. But either way I think we can agree that filming is fine for documentation and transparency…but when someone needs help, put the fecking phone down and call.

Skizzo

Er, yeah. Interfere with police and you'll end up arrested or shot. No thanks. Obviously the examples Skizzo highlighted would be common sense (i.e. helping someone in obvious distress) but you can understand why Twitter would ridicule this message.
That doesn’t sound like something Twitter would do.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I get that skeptical part, especially since there’s plenty of videos that have made the rounds with officers being aggressive towards people filming. The examples used in the original post were all highlighted with examples of extreme injuries, and not in relation to a traffic stop. But either way I think we can agree that filming is fine for documentation and transparency…but when someone needs help, put the fecking phone down and call.
Agree, but we both know that we will never get to that nirvana. Voyeurs gonna voyeur.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Everyone should carry a burner phone for 911 calls like that and then you wouldn’t even lose any street cred with your Twitter friends if they found out you called the cops.
There are a lot of people in the US who will (perfectly reasonably) believe that calling the cops considerably increases their chances of being shot and killed, regardless of the circumstances.

Skizzo

There are a lot of people in the US who will (perfectly reasonably) believe that calling the cops considerably increases their chances of being shot and killed, regardless of the circumstances.
I mean yeah, sure. People could still stop recording and help someone and not call 911 too. Someone got knocked out? Better record them seizing up and post it for those views.

If someone doesn’t feel comfortable calling 911, then I can’t be there to help. But that doesn’t mean someone there couldn’t help instead of just recording something.

Again, this is all more generalized than specifically recording something on an enforcement stop.

edit: I get that my take was probably veering away from the original take in regards to recording police involved incidents. I guess I find it more of a general issue with society today. I’m all for people recording police activity etc.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I mean yeah, sure. People could still stop recording and help someone and not call 911 too. Someone got knocked out? Better record them seizing up and post it for those views.

If someone doesn’t feel comfortable calling 911, then I can’t be there to help. But that doesn’t mean someone there couldn’t help instead of just recording something.

Again, this is all more generalized than specifically recording something on an enforcement stop.

edit: I get that my take was probably veering away from the original take in regards to recording police involved incidents. I guess I find it more of a general issue with society today. I’m all for people recording police activity etc.
Yea no argument with all that at all.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

nimic

something nice
Scout
The police officer has been sacked. The victim had evidently stolen a toolbox and was making his "escape". He had a knife, but couldn't walk.

That's murder. What a sociopath, that last shot. Just to make really sure he killed that guy in a mobility scooter who he was shooting from behind.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Shoot the man dead, and then put cuffs on him, with assistance from a second police man...

Shoot him 9 times, just to be sure - with the final shot clearly intended to be a kill shot, even if the other 8 weren't.

How is this anything other than murder?

I can't see how the general public - particularly those who are not white - don't have massive distrust of the police in that country. Any psychopath with a badge can end your life on a whim.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The police officer has been sacked. The victim had evidently stolen a toolbox and was making his "escape". He had a knife, but couldn't walk.

Cowardly Killers, are these people meant to Protect and Serve? Something has gone very wrong in America.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So, the worker was in danger from the knife wielding mobility scooter man?

That execution was undoubtedly a fantasy for the cop.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That's murder. What a sociopath, that last shot. Just to make really sure he killed that guy in a mobility scooter who he was shooting from behind.
Just saw this story on BBC News... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59439798

That's possibly the worst one (police shootings) I've seen. What the feck do they do in 'gun use' training? Do they not teach them any shades of grey about situations?

His attorney said (in the BBC piece).. that the department's overview of the case is "only half the story" and that "many more important details were withheld" from the department's news conference.

"Officers always have alternative actions that can be second guessed," Mr Storie said. "However, just because there are multiple actions, doesn't mean the one he chose was inappropriate."

Really? You don't think shooting someone from point blank range NINE times (the eighth apparently for luck? given the pause... and having been shot eight times already) was inappropriate? I know he's a lawyer and meant to defend his client but that's ridiculous.

Away at the moment but saw an interview with a Republican politician this morning on BBC World. Apart from not taking CV vaccine (because he doesn't think "governments should be allowed to put foreign bodies into our bodies"), he also defended gun shootings because it's constitutional (and not because of any NRA funding he'd had) and AR15s because people need them to defend land and kill animals that might kill their livestock.. how does that translate to knobheads travelling miles to shoot people?

Every week, I think "that's unbelievable" then America tops it the next week. Seems no-one (of clout) has any desire to change it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Sociopaths.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Question for Americans, are you genuinely afraid of being stopped/pulled up by police while in the US? Or is it, as usual, bad press?

I know when I visit Pakistan there are two sets of people I hope to avoid: bandits and police. But at least with both I'm fairly safe in the knowledge I won't die or get maimed even with a gun pointed to my head because it's just about the money. Give them what they want, move on.

As a non white person how do you leave a similar scenario with your life in the US?

arnie_ni

Whats he even thinking there? Yes the dude has a knife but he isn't a threat to anyone? He didn't even warn him to drop the knife before firing. Mental

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There’s a bunch of replies saying the body cam somehow shows it was reasonable? Can’t seem to find the footage.