Cop in America doing a bad job, again

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Police on those cities live on extreme stress because they get shot and killed all the time, they could have more police but that would be against the defunct agenda. I live in US for more than 30 years, I look Spanish but I'm Portuguese, stopped by police several times because I was speeding, stop sign, etc. Never harassed by them and by the time they arrive on my window I have my documents in my hand, speak with them respectfully and even if in the beginning they are a bit "aggressive" they change the tune, 2 times I forgot my wallet - driver's license and wasn't a problem I gave my name they checked on the computer if the car/truck was stolen and they let me go without a ticket. I was younger back them now I'm almost 60 and only got a ticket this year for passing a red light (was yellow to red) but I didn't make any issue and got the ticket. That's the problem with a lot of people, they screw up on the road and they get mad when police stop them, people need to be responsible for their acts.
Oh dear.

RedDevilQuebecois

Police on those cities live on extreme stress because they get shot and killed all the time, they could have more police but that would be against the defunct agenda. I live in US for more than 30 years, I look Spanish but I'm Portuguese, stopped by police several times because I was speeding, stop sign, etc. Never harassed by them and by the time they arrive on my window I have my documents in my hand, speak with them respectfully and even if in the beginning they are a bit "aggressive" they change the tune, 2 times I forgot my wallet - driver's license and wasn't a problem I gave my name they checked on the computer if the car/truck was stolen and they let me go without a ticket. I was younger back them now I'm almost 60 and only got a ticket this year for passing a red light (was yellow to red) but I didn't make any issue and got the ticket. That's the problem with a lot of people, they screw up on the road and they get mad when police stop them, people need to be responsible for their acts.
No disrespect, but this is not an absolution to the fact that the motto "To protect and serve" is supposed to mean something when a police officer is trained and signs the contract for the job.

I have been mentioning about the part several times in this thread, but I will double down every single time. Using a gun in service requires high levels of both mental and physical fitness because there is just not much of a way back if a mistake is made. And attaining high standards demand extensive training first and foremost. If a police officer can no longer meet such high standards, then going in service with a gun is a no-no for the same reason why the masses mostly want to keep guns away from unstable people. Besides, the way police budget is wasted in buying military-standard weaponry instead of revamping training processes is like building a 5-star hotel on quicksand.

Until the day when the USA begin to apply high standards seen in the likes of a number of European countries and Japan for training and service performance despite smaller budgets, no one should expect more confidence in police anytime soon.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Protect and Serve....nah, just let her die. They really are pointless.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They obviously feared for their lives as he ran in the opposite direction from them.

That’s murder, plain and simple.

Denis79

Apparently had a gun, but damn…

They were there to investigate illegal gambling, they had no cause to shoot someone fleeing. I recently read about when police in the US are allowed to use lethal force and this incident is clearly not one of those circumstances. I would go as far as call this a crime commited by the police.

MarylandMUFan

Clearly this went too far but if you are a cop and try to make a valid traffic stop and the guy drives off and runs into his house and doesn't answer, I assume you are allowed to go in and get him. It WAS a simple traffic stop but the driver turned it into much more. Hopefully they had bodycams to see if the force was justified or not.

Skizzo

Clearly this went too far but if you are a cop and try to make a valid traffic stop and the guy drives off and runs into his house and doesn't answer, I assume you are allowed to go in and get him. It WAS a simple traffic stop but the driver turned it into much more. Hopefully they had bodycams to see if the force was justified or not.
Well, yes and no. There’s exceptions under “hot pursuit” which would allow warrantless entry under certain exigent circumstances. Now, that being said, in a situation where someone ran a stop sign and didn’t stop when police tried to make a traffic stop would depend on a lot of circumstances. There’s different levels of someone fleeing. In California there’s 2800.1 or 2800.2 depending on if it falls under felony evading or misdemeanor evading. If someone ran a stop sign and then led police on a dangerous chase where he ran more stop signs or red lights, drove wrong way, sped way over the speed limit in neighborhoods etc, then the police could justify warrantless entry under felony evading and being in hot pursuit. On the flip side, you’d have to ask why if someone was driving that dangerously, the police would continue and not cancel the pursuit when all you have is a traffic infraction as the reason for the original stop.

If it only fell under a misdemeanor evading charge, you’d be hard pressed to justify making a forceful entry and not just setting a perimeter and contacting a judge for a warrant. It would take longer, but you’d be covered for forcing your way in. Chances are during the way he may come to his senses anyway and come outside, either by his own choice or his family talking sense into him. Either way, they’d be fine to go in at that point.

As for the beating, you’d be hard pressed to find something to justify that level of beating. If someone is fighting that hard that they needed to be beaten that badly, then you’d be able to transition to other force options that would probably allow some level of compliance to be able to get him into handcuffs. You don’t continue to fight and beat someone just because you can. At some point people have a natural instinct to cross from just resisting arrest by not giving you their hands, to fighting back and defending themselves if they’re being punched in the face and beaten. Unfortunately if that happens, it just leads to more of the same.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well, yes and no. There’s exceptions under “hot pursuit” which would allow warrantless entry under certain exigent circumstances. Now, that being said, in a situation where someone ran a stop sign and didn’t stop when police tried to make a traffic stop would depend on a lot of circumstances. There’s different levels of someone fleeing. In California there’s 2800.1 or 2800.2 depending on if it falls under felony evading or misdemeanor evading. If someone ran a stop sign and then led police on a dangerous chase where he ran more stop signs or red lights, drove wrong way, sped way over the speed limit in neighborhoods etc, then the police could justify warrantless entry under felony evading and being in hot pursuit. On the flip side, you’d have to ask why if someone was driving that dangerously, the police would continue and not cancel the pursuit when all you have is a traffic infraction as the reason for the original stop.

If it only fell under a misdemeanor evading charge, you’d be hard pressed to justify making a forceful entry and not just setting a perimeter and contacting a judge for a warrant. It would take longer, but you’d be covered for forcing your way in. Chances are during the way he may come to his senses anyway and come outside, either by his own choice or his family talking sense into him. Either way, they’d be fine to go in at that point.

As for the beating, you’d be hard pressed to find something to justify that level of beating. If someone is fighting that hard that they needed to be beaten that badly, then you’d be able to transition to other force options that would probably allow some level of compliance to be able to get him into handcuffs. You don’t continue to fight and beat someone just because you can. At some point people have a natural instinct to cross from just resisting arrest by not giving you their hands, to fighting back and defending themselves if they’re being punched in the face and beaten. Unfortunately if that happens, it just leads to more of the same.
Thank you for this explanation!

MarylandMUFan

That helps, thank you for that reply. The "beating" part is why I hope their is camera. The end result looks horrible but what if the guy resisted arrest and during the takedown, he cut his head? I would not call that a beating. On the flip side, if the footage shows them doing something other than taking him down (striking him in the head for instance), the Cops need to go to jail.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
That helps, thank you for that reply. The "beating" part is why I hope their is camera. The end result looks horrible but what if the guy resisted arrest and during the takedown, he cut his head? I would not call that a beating. On the flip side, if the footage shows them doing something other than taking him down (striking him in the head for instance), the Cops need to go to jail.
That's a lot of hypothetical cuts, and on opposite sides of his head. Would be quite a coincidence.

Skizzo

I agree, there could be alternate explanations, and maybe force could have been justified. The clip I saw though (and it was just a clip) showed an officer chasing him behind a couch while he had his baton drawn and swinging it. It didn’t seem there was much justification at that point.

Thank you for this explanation!
my pleasure :)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I am reminded of how the Alabama State Patrol dealt with something similar. I was headed to Mobile down 65 (and anyone who has driven this route knows there can be 15 miles between exits) when suddenly traffic stopped. We sat there for an hour and, being the south, people got out and started chatting. All of a sudden we see 4-5 cows running up the divider being chased by guys on horses with, I kid you not, lassos twirling above their heads. Turns out a cattle transporter broke down on a bridge and when attempting to hook up a tow truck the cows got out. The State Patrol called in help from local cattle farmers who sent out some of their guys to round them all up. Totally surreal experience.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Woman having a mental breakdown placed into a cop car & somehow jumping out the back of it. She later died from head injuries…

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

Responding to the call by yourself when you know the suicidal subject has a weapon. Not drawing out and pointing your gun at the subject when you see her gun. Instead, attempting to de-escalate by walking towards her to grab her gun.

This is a bad job. Her incompetence allowed the subject to flee and ultimately get into a shootout with Atlanta PD. Hopefully she pulls through.