Cop in America doing a bad job, again

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
"May have had a vape pen", I guess we'll be seeing that argument in this thread in the future.
Understandable. The officer obviously feared for his life and lung cancer from second hand smoke is no joke. Good shoot in my book.

Cloud7

The money for these things should come out of the wages and pensions for the police, not from the taxpayers money that could be better spent elsewhere. If all the police started feeling the consequences of their actions maybe something might change.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The money for these things should come out of the wages and pensions for the police, not from the taxpayers money that could be better spent elsewhere. If all the police started feeling the consequences of their actions maybe something might change.
Maybe, but that's also letting the employer (the city, the county, whatever) off the hook. They're responsible for training, guidelines, etc. If people don't want their tax money to go to settling lawsuits, they should vote for people or measures that can fix the problem.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
American cops seem to be qualified at nothing so much as dramatic escalation.
In all honesty I don't think I would call the police unless I was in genuine fear for my life as at least at that point it's 50/50 anyways. I know not all cops are bad, but JFC there seems to be a bunch of bad shit every day.

Withnail

Let's try this again!

Why did any of that happen? They're really concerned about a knife that nobody was in danger from. It's like an exercise in how to everything wrong. I find it mind boggling that in so many of these videos they seem to twist the situation towards an escalation that leads to the inevitable trigger pull. I've zero training in this regard but it seems fairly obvious that this is the exact opposite of what you should do in an attempt to calm a situation down.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is it normal to call 911 with car trouble? Isn't there services dedicated to that? I'm not excusing the cops behaviour, to be sure.
Might not have had AAA, etc. & just started to freak out over the predicament.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm pretty sure in some parts of the US you're supposed to call 911 to reach the police, but I have no idea if that's the case there.
Oh I'm not questioning the phone number to the police, more that if my car broke down in Denmark I wouldn't call the police about it. It's not their job, unless there's been some kind of accident.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is it normal to call 911 with car trouble? Isn't there services dedicated to that? I'm not excusing the cops behaviour, to be sure.
I'm pretty sure in some parts of the US you're supposed to call 911 to reach the police, but I have no idea if that's the case there.
Most (all?) departments have a non-emergency number to call for stuck cars, or if you are in a non-injury traffic accident. In the day of cell phones it is pretty easy to find it online. Personally, I would just call a tow service and not the police, but not everyone has the money/insurance for that.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Not really an american story, but yesterday I was talking to an angolan colleague and he mentioned his church is organizing a trip to the US and a bunch of people are going, mostly black angolans. Most have very poor english so they've created a pamphlet with some tips. One of them is for their black members to not call or approach the police if something bad happens. They should talk to one of the white members and let them handle it.

I'm sure there's a level of paranoia here, but it shows how bad american police reputation is.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Not really an american story, but yesterday I was talking to an angolan colleague and he mentioned his church is organizing a trip to the US and a bunch of people are going, mostly black angolans. Most have very poor english so they've created a pamphlet with some tips. One of them is for their black members to not call or approach the police if something bad happens. They should talk to one of the white members and let them handle it.

I'm sure there's a level of paranoia here, but it shows how bad american police reputation is.
Would you call them if you were in the USA? The chances of them escalating a minor issue into something that could possibly lead to your (those Church goers) death is very high in certain States.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Very understandable.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Would you call them if you were in the USA? The chances of them escalating a minor issue into something that could possibly lead to your (those Church goers) death is very high in certain States.
It would have to be something really serious and I'd probably be nervous as feck.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Oh I'm not questioning the phone number to the police, more that if my car broke down in Denmark I wouldn't call the police about it. It's not their job, unless there's been some kind of accident.
Oh yeah, for sure. In Norway the police aren't even involved in accidents unless someone's been injured or someone broke the law.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Oh yeah, for sure. In Norway the police aren't even involved in accidents unless someone's been injured or someone broke the law.
Here they are involved in almost every one as a police report is needed by most insurance companies to process a claim. Stupid use of resources.

TheReligion

Abusive

That’s really sad to hear :(