Cop in America doing a bad job, again

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Go on, what's the other side then?
That the proposed policy is a bit too vague & could be altered to fit a political whim.

That said, I would be for the policy as it would potentially eliminate a definitive type of police cadet / mentality. Then the work needs to begin to eradicate such police who are already employed.

15% I get their concerns / 85% all for it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
How can anyone read about/watch that and not understand exactly why the black community in the US has historically been so hostile towards the police, and honestly authority in general? If that happened here, it would be an earth shattering event, but in the US it's just another one to put in the pile.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I appreciate your posts in here @calodo2003
I don’t have the mental health to continuously learn about the depravity within law enforcement

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I have a mate who is a cop. Psychologically it's interesting to speak with him because he cannot take any, and I mean any, criticism of the police. At all.

He's a good guy but he was the guy at school (like most of us) who had very little respect or authority and it always felt like being a police officer was a way to get that authority where people have to listen to you.

We once had a heated discussion where I, off the cuff said that the police were allowed to lie, he lost his shit, started raising his voice telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about, the police cannot lie to you, no office is allowed to be deceitful, I'm a lefty idiot and swallowed this woke agenda etc (we've known eachother twenty years and are mates). He got really angry. It was odd. More so when I asked "what about undercover police?" And he just fell silent and the rest of the group kinda awkwardly laughed and the conversation moved on. But it is these kind of exchanges where you get an idea that he truly believes he is some sort bastion of good and truth, yet he's just swallowed what he has been told and what his colleagues say.

My other mate who is also a cop, was a proper lad at school, confident, shagger, alpha type guy but a decent bloke. Was in the military etc. When you talk to him, it's completely different, he does the job, is relaxed, doesn't need to exert any kind of influence, knows that the police are fecked, moans about the bad people, dislikes the dumb policies and actually "gets it".

I think being a policeman/woman has the power to corrupt and bring out the worst in people, also people who are drawn to having power usually aren't great. I think the actual job can make people really cynical as well, some of the things you see are brutal and grim.

Bit of a ramble

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Ah... I guess... the clip does not show what happened before...

Skizzo

yah...uhm...not watching that.
arrives on scene, located man, contacts from 30-50 feet away to drop axe…shot within 10 seconds. Guy never moved, Officer was one closing distance. “Listen bro…” and then the cop shoots.

video was bad, audio of the smug guy calling it in over the radio sounding proud was worse.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
arrives on scene, located man, contacts from 30-50 feet away to drop axe…shot within 10 seconds. Guy never moved, Officer was one closing distance. “Listen bro…” and then the cop shoots.

video was bad, audio of the smug guy calling it in over the radio sounding proud was worse.
Thanks. I just can't watch that shit. I watched the guy blow his head off live, no warning, back in 1998 on TV (in LA, so I bet you know what I am talking about) and it scarred me big time.

From the way you describe it I am guessing a really bad shoot?

Skizzo

Thanks. I just can't watch that shit. I watched the guy blow his head off live, no warning, back in 1998 on TV (in LA, so I bet you know what I am talking about) and it scarred me big time.

From the way you describe it I am guessing a really bad shoot?
Definitely not justified in any way. I heard they were called out that morning for a disturbance and couldnt find the guy, so this was their second time out there. I believe they already gave the Officer time off and put him back to work already too, so I’m not sure when this was exactly.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Definitely not justified in any way. I heard they were called out that morning for a disturbance and couldnt find the guy, so this was their second time out there. I believe they already gave the Officer time off and put him back to work already too, so I’m not sure when this was exactly.
How does that sit with you, knowing that fellow officers who have that in them are so easily put back in the streets? From our conversations I would guess that you are a good dude and excellent LEO, so I would love you input on how things like this affect you.

Skizzo

How does that sit with you, knowing that fellow officers who have that in them are so easily put back in the streets? From our conversations I would guess that you are a good dude and excellent LEO, so I would love you input on how things like this affect you.
Theres different parts to it, so I’ll try and explain my perspective and hope it makes sense.

Generally, it sucks for anyone to be put back out onto the streets who has such a lack of value for human life. It being an officer causes even more issues for me and for the general view of law enforcement. Obviously it is going to reinforce the belief that all officers are like that, because every story to support that will solidly that belief.

As it relates to the profession, I hate that incidents like this make it harder to do my job, because it’s easy to come across the conversations that start with the “all you officers…” regardless of what the interaction is about. Officers like this going back on the streets causes such a ripple effect of damage that it’s hard to counter it. A lot of times people will see that I’m just a person as well, and we can be respectful both ways and not all interactions will be negative. Even in south Sacramento, most of my interactions here have ended pleasantly, even if someone ended up with a ticket or arrested.

On a personal level it does also become upsetting that there’s people that are in the profession that do use it to abuse power over people. It’s hard to see that something that could have the potential to be used for community interactions and policing would instead be used to serve peoples depravities instead. I know a lot of people see police = bad as a general rule, but I’ve seen the positive it can have when done in a more uplifting way as well, and I can say confidently that I know I’ve made a positive difference in some peoples lives just by being able to be in a position to help or interact in ways that I wouldn’t be able to if I wasn’t an officer.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

This dude has just been sentenced to 25 years to life for this.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Theres different parts to it, so I’ll try and explain my perspective and hope it makes sense.

Generally, it sucks for anyone to be put back out onto the streets who has such a lack of value for human life. It being an officer causes even more issues for me and for the general view of law enforcement. Obviously it is going to reinforce the belief that all officers are like that, because every story to support that will solidly that belief.

As it relates to the profession, I hate that incidents like this make it harder to do my job, because it’s easy to come across the conversations that start with the “all you officers…” regardless of what the interaction is about. Officers like this going back on the streets causes such a ripple effect of damage that it’s hard to counter it. A lot of times people will see that I’m just a person as well, and we can be respectful both ways and not all interactions will be negative. Even in south Sacramento, most of my interactions here have ended pleasantly, even if someone ended up with a ticket or arrested.

On a personal level it does also become upsetting that there’s people that are in the profession that do use it to abuse power over people. It’s hard to see that something that could have the potential to be used for community interactions and policing would instead be used to serve peoples depravities instead. I know a lot of people see police = bad as a general rule, but I’ve seen the positive it can have when done in a more uplifting way as well, and I can say confidently that I know I’ve made a positive difference in some peoples lives just by being able to be in a position to help or interact in ways that I wouldn’t be able to if I wasn’t an officer.
Thank you for this thoughtful response. I deal with this, to a much, much lesser extent in sales (bio/pharma). Many of my peers are the prototypical snake oil salesmen and it makes it difficult to establish trust with costumers/partners as a result.

Back to your reply, what do you think the solution is? From the public perception we see these bad actors and we also see that often times there are no repercussions. Unions fight firings and discipline, and qualified immunity means that, if there is a settlement it is being paid out by the very tax dollars we ourselves are paying.

nimic

something nice
Scout
When Pollina apparently walked into the garage and asked Valva what he was doing, Valva said: “I’m f–king suffocating him that’s what I’m doing,” prompting Pollina to say, “Take your hands off his mouth. There are people everywhere,” according to Newcombe.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Hope it's all in general population.
In UK so don’t know enough about this and welcome views from someone actually in America.

I was talking to my daughter about this subject (police being “bad”) today and specifically the potential of them ending up in a prison.

I’m trying not to generalise completely, but I’d imagine that a policeman found guilty of assault, extreme violence, murder could have a real problem in prison? So, why do so many in US (I know it’s not just there but it’s this thread) seem to carry on doing it?

Is it some sense that they’re immune… union/politicians support… recklessness… stupidity? You let your kid die, kill some innocent, racially attack someone, you’re going to have a tough time in prison … if you’re also a policeman?!

RedDevilQuebecois

Since I couldn't find the thread about the Uvalde shooting, I thought I would post these here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Vallejo is quite the shithole & could very much use the $300K desperately in other areas...