Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Seems like a good idea where absolutely nothng could go wrong.

San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

_127839663_untitled1.png.webp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63816454

Ah... I guess... the clip does not show what happened before...

yah...uhm...not watching that.

arrives on scene, located man, contacts from 30-50 feet away to drop axe…shot within 10 seconds. Guy never moved, Officer was one closing distance. “Listen bro…” and then the cop shoots.

video was bad, audio of the smug guy calling it in over the radio sounding proud was worse.

arrives on scene, located man, contacts from 30-50 feet away to drop axe…shot within 10 seconds. Guy never moved, Officer was one closing distance. “Listen bro…” and then the cop shoots.

video was bad, audio of the smug guy calling it in over the radio sounding proud was worse.

Thanks. I just can't watch that shit. I watched the guy blow his head off live, no warning, back in 1998 on TV (in LA, so I bet you know what I am talking about) and it scarred me big time.

From the way you describe it I am guessing a really bad shoot?

Thanks. I just can't watch that shit. I watched the guy blow his head off live, no warning, back in 1998 on TV (in LA, so I bet you know what I am talking about) and it scarred me big time.

From the way you describe it I am guessing a really bad shoot?

Definitely not justified in any way. I heard they were called out that morning for a disturbance and couldnt find the guy, so this was their second time out there. I believe they already gave the Officer time off and put him back to work already too, so I’m not sure when this was exactly.

Definitely not justified in any way. I heard they were called out that morning for a disturbance and couldnt find the guy, so this was their second time out there. I believe they already gave the Officer time off and put him back to work already too, so I’m not sure when this was exactly.

How does that sit with you, knowing that fellow officers who have that in them are so easily put back in the streets? From our conversations I would guess that you are a good dude and excellent LEO, so I would love you input on how things like this affect you.

How does that sit with you, knowing that fellow officers who have that in them are so easily put back in the streets? From our conversations I would guess that you are a good dude and excellent LEO, so I would love you input on how things like this affect you.

Theres different parts to it, so I’ll try and explain my perspective and hope it makes sense.

Generally, it sucks for anyone to be put back out onto the streets who has such a lack of value for human life. It being an officer causes even more issues for me and for the general view of law enforcement. Obviously it is going to reinforce the belief that all officers are like that, because every story to support that will solidly that belief.

As it relates to the profession, I hate that incidents like this make it harder to do my job, because it’s easy to come across the conversations that start with the “all you officers…” regardless of what the interaction is about. Officers like this going back on the streets causes such a ripple effect of damage that it’s hard to counter it. A lot of times people will see that I’m just a person as well, and we can be respectful both ways and not all interactions will be negative. Even in south Sacramento, most of my interactions here have ended pleasantly, even if someone ended up with a ticket or arrested.

On a personal level it does also become upsetting that there’s people that are in the profession that do use it to abuse power over people. It’s hard to see that something that could have the potential to be used for community interactions and policing would instead be used to serve peoples depravities instead. I know a lot of people see police = bad as a general rule, but I’ve seen the positive it can have when done in a more uplifting way as well, and I can say confidently that I know I’ve made a positive difference in some peoples lives just by being able to be in a position to help or interact in ways that I wouldn’t be able to if I wasn’t an officer.

This dude has just been sentenced to 25 years to life for this.

Theres different parts to it, so I’ll try and explain my perspective and hope it makes sense.

Generally, it sucks for anyone to be put back out onto the streets who has such a lack of value for human life. It being an officer causes even more issues for me and for the general view of law enforcement. Obviously it is going to reinforce the belief that all officers are like that, because every story to support that will solidly that belief.

As it relates to the profession, I hate that incidents like this make it harder to do my job, because it’s easy to come across the conversations that start with the “all you officers…” regardless of what the interaction is about. Officers like this going back on the streets causes such a ripple effect of damage that it’s hard to counter it. A lot of times people will see that I’m just a person as well, and we can be respectful both ways and not all interactions will be negative. Even in south Sacramento, most of my interactions here have ended pleasantly, even if someone ended up with a ticket or arrested.

On a personal level it does also become upsetting that there’s people that are in the profession that do use it to abuse power over people. It’s hard to see that something that could have the potential to be used for community interactions and policing would instead be used to serve peoples depravities instead. I know a lot of people see police = bad as a general rule, but I’ve seen the positive it can have when done in a more uplifting way as well, and I can say confidently that I know I’ve made a positive difference in some peoples lives just by being able to be in a position to help or interact in ways that I wouldn’t be able to if I wasn’t an officer.

Thank you for this thoughtful response. I deal with this, to a much, much lesser extent in sales (bio/pharma). Many of my peers are the prototypical snake oil salesmen and it makes it difficult to establish trust with costumers/partners as a result.

Back to your reply, what do you think the solution is? From the public perception we see these bad actors and we also see that often times there are no repercussions. Unions fight firings and discipline, and qualified immunity means that, if there is a settlement it is being paid out by the very tax dollars we ourselves are paying.

When Pollina apparently walked into the garage and asked Valva what he was doing, Valva said: “I’m f–king suffocating him that’s what I’m doing,” prompting Pollina to say, “Take your hands off his mouth. There are people everywhere,” according to Newcombe.

Hope it's all in general population.
In UK so don’t know enough about this and welcome views from someone actually in America.

I was talking to my daughter about this subject (police being “bad”) today and specifically the potential of them ending up in a prison.

I’m trying not to generalise completely, but I’d imagine that a policeman found guilty of assault, extreme violence, murder could have a real problem in prison? So, why do so many in US (I know it’s not just there but it’s this thread) seem to carry on doing it?

Is it some sense that they’re immune… union/politicians support… recklessness… stupidity? You let your kid die, kill some innocent, racially attack someone, you’re going to have a tough time in prison … if you’re also a policeman?!

Vallejo is quite the shithole & could very much use the $300K desperately in other areas...

It should read: The taxpayers of Vallejo were forced to pay $300k while the officer, and the officers union, had no consequences and will do this again.

Remember this one?

Those days really convinced me the US is spiritually a third world country, and not because of the rioting.

Ah, yes, the Minnesota 'light 'em up' embroglio of 2020. High water mark for line cops.

All is good, pal.

We should really only start to criticize their work once we fully know every detail (we may never). Not beforehand.