g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Coronation thread

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
But when you signed up you paid for the £5 Argument.
You piece of shit - you told me it was £20 and that if I gave you £50 you'd get me premium access for a whole year. Now I look like a right tit.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
You piece of shit - you told me it was £20 and that if I gave you £50 you'd get me premium access for a whole year. Now I look like a right tit.
Give me another £50 and I'll throw in a squeeze from @rimaldo

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sent £100 just in case you need to do that "administration fee" thing for me again.
Haven't received it yet, will let you know if I do but meanwhile send another £100 - no make it £200 to be safe.

Lee565

So within a year of living crisis and NHS on it's knees, we have spunked over 500 million on the jubilee, the Queen death where the most of the country business's were also brow beaten in to closing for a day or two and now this crowning of a new king, ffs.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Has anyone got a spare tenner? I seem to have no money left in my account.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So went to Furniture Village to query where my dining table was after two months of waiting. Shop's shut with big poster about the king or something. Cnuts. Nothing else was closed.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s probably balls deep in Camila right now asking her if she’s come for the King.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He’s probably balls deep in Camila right now asking her if she’s come for the King.
I know a lot of people don't want to hear it, as they held Lizzy in such high regard, but she's definitely a hotter Queen.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So within a year of living crisis and NHS on it's knees, we have spunked over 500 million on the jubilee, the Queen death where the most of the country business's were also brow beaten in to closing for a day or two and now this crowning of a new king, ffs.
Shhhh, have a miniature flag.

Wave it.

WAVE YOUR FLAG PEASANT.

Mmmmm flags.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Some duffer was saying on the BBC news that they had taken the cost of living crisis into account and gone with a scaled down affair.

WPMUFC

At approx. 02:00hrs this morning, three people were stopped by officers and arrested in the Soho area on suspicion of conspiracy to commit public nuisance. Among items seized were a number of rape alarms.
They arrested volunteer "street patrol" folks, which is seemingly a joint council initiative, at 2am, because intelligence suggested rape whistles would be used during the coronation to spook horses.

I mean that's a new level of bizarre justification.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I saw an interview with a middle-aged American woman, who'd come over for the Coronation and had been one of those waiting outside for days. She'd got a selfie with the Princess of Wales and she said it was the highlight of her whole life. I thought that was pretty astonishing (and also rather sad).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They arrested volunteer "street patrol" folks, which is seemingly a joint council initiative, at 2am, because intelligence suggested rape whistles would be used during the coronation to spook horses.

I mean that's a new level of bizarre justification.

Yet again the Met Police showed us the despite it being a human right to be able to conduct Peaceful Protests, try to do that and you can get arrested.
Some of those arrested were just waiving banners and some even for taking photos with selfie sticks.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I've transformed from a pretty staunch republican to a more ambivalent one over the years.

I can't get as worked up about the UK replacing a ceromonial figurehead monarch with a ceromonial figurehead elected president, as I used to. Under a parliamentary system such as ours, there is no scope for a head of state whether elected or not to be anything more than a cereomonial figurehead, as seen in Germany, India, Ireland etc., unless parliament voted to transfer significant powers away from themselves, which would never happen. How many people outside Germany, India and Ireland or without cultural ties to any of those countries could even name their presidents without looking them up? I can't imagine in my lifetime that there'll ever be sufficient (i.e. a majority opinion) clamour to replace a globally famous and iconic royal family / brand with 'more politics', especially as that additional politics would just be to elect a figurehead.

Replacing FPTP with a form of PR at general elections is an overwhelmingly more significant way to improve British democracy IMO, and and I'd argue that House of Lords reform is as well. I know that House of Lords reform would be seen as 'more politics' as well, but it's safe to say that the peers are nowhere near as iconic or popular as the royal family are !

Now if I was from / had strong ties to any of the other 14 'realms' such as Australia, Canada, Jamaica, Belize etc., where the British monarch is also the head of state, I'd certainly still be a staunch republican, and would not want a head of state from thousands of km away purely due to past colonisation. I hope that as many of those other 14 countries become republics as feasible and as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

This bloody obsession with Penny Mordaunt is absolutely pathetic, and a perfect example of the UK (and specifically views on the Coronation) right now:

- a bunch of sexually impotent men in the media / politics salivating that she and her team made her look very elegant (although a bit too much like a wife in The Handmaid’s Tale
- they see that she looks good on the outside and suddenly conclude that she’s valid for the highest office in the country
- anyone who actually looks at the substance of her views knows that she has absolutely nothing more to add than the current shit lot of Tory leadership

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
yeah but have you seen the tits on her?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This bloody obsession with Penny Mordaunt is absolutely pathetic, and a perfect example of the UK (and specifically views on the Coronation) right now:

- a bunch of sexually impotent men in the media / politics salivating that she and her team made her look very elegant (although a bit too much like a wife in The Handmaid’s Tale
- they see that she looks good on the outside and suddenly conclude that she’s valid for the highest office in the country
- anyone who actually looks at the substance of her views knows that she has absolutely nothing more to add than the current shit lot of Tory leadership
Tbf being poised and presentable in public might be a low bar but it's more than you can say for most recent PMs...