Coronation thread

Fully Fledged

Which are the royal estates people are visiting? I'm sure most of us have stood outside the gates of Buckingham Palace while visiting London but I don't even really know any of the other ones. I didn't realise you could go in and do a tour either.

A google search suggests they have seven 90 minute slots a week if people want to have a tour of Buckingham Palace. From memory anyone can turn up at Versailles and look around if they get a ticket, which probably helps.
I've been around The Tower of London. Never bothered walking around Buckingham Palace.

Fully Fledged

https://www.france.fr/en/paris/article/palace-versailles-chateau-versailles

Even more

The National Estate and Palace of Versailles is one of France’s best-known treasures, a UNESCO World Heritage Site situated 20km west of Paris. This former royal residence is surrounded by 787 hectares (1,945 acres) and welcomes almost 15 million visitors each year to admire its lavish rooms, art collection and splendid gardens. Versailles also serves as a national historical building, where the French Parliament meets in congress.

The President of France is also co-Prince of Andorra though.
And they both lose out to the Guinness Brewery.

According to the World Travel Awards, visiting the Guinness Storehouse is Europe's top tourist attraction, beating out Roman ruins and pointy towers.

hp88

Which are the royal estates people are visiting? I'm sure most of us have stood outside the gates of Buckingham Palace while visiting London but I don't even really know any of the other ones. I didn't realise you could go in and do a tour either.

A google search suggests they have seven 90 minute slots a week if people want to have a tour of Buckingham Palace. From memory anyone can turn up at Versailles and look around if they get a ticket, which probably helps.
Free and Fuel and a carwash though, sign me up.

jasT1981

Very glad I didn't go over for the flypast, it was announced too late for me to book flights and hotel etc. Would have been a brilliant flypast if weather was good, but with only the helicopters and the Red Arrows (Who I have seen well over 100 times) it would have been disappointing.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
King outranks Queen and is a title only given to a monarch who inherits the throne. Queen Victoria's husband was Prince Albert. It's a tradition from olden times so the public would recognise the Queen's authority as the leader.
Thanks.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
How is that stupid. Can you fit the majority of a 1000 into 10? Your maths is clearly a weakness if you come to the answer of yes.

The royal estate contains about 1000 properties. Is this what you're debating?

Just accept you made a stupid comment and move on. Acceptance is very importance.
Surely you mean the Crown Estate - there are a number of Royal Estates such as Sandringham or Balmoral which combined are over 60,000 acres of land and we're not privy to the earnings in any case if there indeed are any keeping them self sufficient. There are another 18 estates, palaces or residences from Buckingham Palace to Highgrove, in Gloucestershire or Hillsborough Castle to Clarence House. Some have limited areas open to the public for a small portion of the year but don't add up to a big hill of beans which could match the income earned by the Civil Service on behalf of the people keeping 75% of the income and awarding 25% to the King which last year was about £65mn. The Crown Estate comprises rental property, the odd Shopping Mall but mostly the coast and seabed around the UK. Awarded to the Royal Family by their ancestors but given over to the Treasury to run by George III. It's one of the largest Property Management organisations in the UK.

So, businesses run by not royals that benefit royals but should belong to the people, I mean, what individual around the World owns their country's seabed?

I was informed that the security for todays fun was to cost £100mn, the whole affair nearer £250mn. So the King is given £86mn a year stipend, he can count on maybe another £60mn earned for him by the people again this year. In total £146mn maybe apart from what at the residences, estates and two duchy's make, Lancaster and Cornwall which we are never privy to he could maybe have had a bit of change over if he'd pay just the security element.

The Royal Family don't pay for themselves, the Treasury mostly does with the property that the royal family inherited and was taken by their ancestors and the people's taxes.

Widow

:rolleyes:

Scotch is generally used in compounds (such as Scotch pine or Scotch whisky), and set phrases. Scottish is the preferred adjective; in cases where you are referring to the literature, character, people or ancestry of the people of Scotland, it is generally correct to describe them as Scottish

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Because it's not going to happen. Because the Scottish people don't want it Source
So they should stop fighting for something because only 42% of them want it? For that matter, the graph at the top there shows that you don't have to go further back than December before you reach 50% who said they supported it. Also, that poll clearly shows that young people do support it, so how does it make sense to expect them to "accept that it's not going to happen"?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Honestly feck off :lol:
no. i’m with @Widow. how can you not watch that display of power, of wanton wealth and privilege, and not realise that, that must be a country going places. if it can afford to throw money at stuff like that, i’d imagine their potholes and filled in with gold.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
This fecking site man
Do you find the site always disagreeing with you or is it the posters?

Blame the poster, not the website man.

Widow

no. i’m with @Widow. how can you not watch that display of power, of wanton wealth and privilege, and not realise that, that must be a country going places. if it can afford to throw money at stuff like that, i’d imagine their potholes and filled in with gold.
If you have been tracking this it's clear I'm no Royalist, as stated a few times.

Widow

Do you find the site always disagreeing with you or is the posters?
Nope, just the odd/strange few that really want a squabble. I argue for a living I really don't want it when I'm on here. I know that's strange but looking back at my chat history, I seldom engage as It generally leads to contretemps.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Nope, just the odd/strange few that really want a squabble. I argue for a living I really don't want it when I'm on here. I know that's strange but looking back at my chat history, I seldom engage as It generally leads to contretemps.
I wasn't looking for a squabble, I was genuinely interested in why you thought they should just "accept" it. Your response was then to link to a poll that showed that fully 42% of respondents supported that same position.

But if that was really the reason, you could have just not replied at all. You instead decided to go with a condescending non-reply.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Look at my lawyer dawg...

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
But when you signed up you paid for the £5 Argument.

I'm afraid it is a bit of a paradigm on here that if someone thinks what you said is disagreeable then you have to expect that they will let you know and secondly they'll tell you why.

I think someone once said that it's human nature. Damn Human behaviour! Perhaps you need one of those Reddit sites for Awesome Dogs and Cats for the weekends, you can't blame RedCafe for the posters understanding that this site is going to give you back the argument you presented.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Don't tell me what to do ;)
Why not? You seem hell bent on telling others what to do.

Goes without saying that if you argue for a living then, based on your record on this site, you must be really shite at your job.

Last edited: