Could City be Pep's undoing?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pep is a brilliant coach, inheriting probably the best (if often unmotivated) squad in the league, with Abu Dhabi money to spend on any players he wants, and his old Barcelona mates as senior management.

Can't see him coming unstuck.

MrPooni

Pep's success will depend entirely on how effectively Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool go about resolving their recent poor fortune over the Summer and nothing else. City are not Barcelona or Bayern Munich - there's no culture of winning, there's no rampant support base, there's no eye watering atmosphere, there's just a big cheque book and a bunch of his mates from his glory days in Spain. Despite how some people on this forum are going on, City have never run a convincing domestic campaign despite having one of the strongest squads in the league and arguably the best striker of the late 00's at their disposal. They've relied on other people's feck ups to succeed and I can't see that changing for another season at least.

coolredwine

lameredboots
PL will be his undoing. He should stick to unbalanced leagues where 1 team with superior players dominates other teams.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
As someone above said, what competition does he have here? Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Peps going to arrive at City and not know about the premier league. I'm looking forward to his rude awakening.

First things first the quality of players. Excluding his own players two of the top three scorers in his league are Kalou and Hernandez. One couldn't get in our worst team in ages and another was a very average Chelsea player. They're the best players he plays against in Germany FFS. Welcome to the prem Pep, where every club has strikers at that level. Most have better FFS. It's all well and good defending against Kalou, our bottom half teams have Lukaku and Costa you mug.

Ok he thinks, I'll get some of my old players in. They were great for me. Not so fast Pep, not so fast at all. Players who have dominated the Bundesliga can't handle the prem. We sent Kagawa and Sahin packing. Players like Diouf and Firmino look average mate. We're a better quality over here.

Fine Pep thinks. I'll do what I always do. Who are the best players in the league? Bring them to me. I signed Dortmunds best players and ruined the league, let's get Martial, the kid is quality. How did we let Arsenal sign Sanchez?!?

Just let it sink in. His face when he isn't just signing anyone from the league. Our league is a competition Pep. Not a mockery. Our relegated teams have more money than most of your league, hands off mate.

Finally he think. I have my tactics! My previous philosophy. LVG would like a word. Each team in the prem is a challenge, you ain't getting 6-0s here every week mate. We know how to defend. We are fit, strong and we can counter.

Good luck Pep, everything you think you know will soon change. Hope you and Klopp have each other at least when you're crying by Christmas.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Peps going to arrive at City and not know about the premier league. I'm looking forward to his rude awakening.

First things first the quality of players. Excluding his own players two of the top three scorers in his league are Kalou and Hernandez. One couldn't get in our worst team in ages and another was a very average Chelsea player. They're the best players he plays against in Germany FFS. Welcome to the prem Pep, where every club has strikers at that level. Most have better FFS. It's all well and good defending against Kalou, our bottom half teams have Lukaku and Costa you mug.

Ok he thinks, I'll get some of my old players in. They were great for me. Not so fast Pep, not so fast at all. Players who have dominated the Bundesliga can't handle the prem. We sent Kagawa and Sahin packing. Players like Diouf and Firmino look average mate. We're a better quality over here.

Fine Pep thinks. I'll do what I always do. Who are the best players in the league? Bring them to me. I signed Dortmunds best players and ruined the league, let's get Martial, the kid is quality. How did we let Arsenal sign Sanchez?!?

Just let it sink in. His face when he isn't just signing anyone from the league. Our league is a competition Pep. Not a mockery. Our relegated teams have more money than most of your league, hands off mate.

Finally he think. I have my tactics! My previous philosophy. LVG would like a word. Each team in the prem is a challenge, you ain't getting 6-0s here every week mate. We know how to defend. We are fit, strong and we can counter.

Good luck Pep, everything you think you know will soon change. Hope you and Klopp have each other at least when you're crying by Christmas.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

:lol:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

It's good to see a post that doesn't seem like a wind up. Good on you, lad.

Polite Poster

Supports
Manchester City

This post makes some very good points, albeit in an extreme piss taking way.

However, the PL is a bigger challenge than anything Pep has thus far faced and it will be fascinating to see how well he does. As a City fan I am optimistic but I am well aware that appointing Pep guarantees nothing.

Still I'd rather it was at City that we get to find out just how good Pep is rather than at another PL club. ;)

Infra-red

Nope, the final piece of the puzzle for them, unlimited resources, world class facilities, he'll be a success.

prarek

PL will be his undoing. He should stick to unbalanced leagues where 1 team with superior players dominates other teams.
How hard can it be to win PL? Even Mancini did it. A failed ex Valencia manager is doing pretty well with Leicester. Same with Pochettino who was sacked by Espanyol.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Well that kind of depends on how well he can get City playing/who he can bring in. If he hits the ground running with them then there might not be much serious competition based on this season's evidence. A decent Arsenal outfit is not really more of a challenge than a decent Dortmund side.
Why assume that Pep and City could hit the ground running next season but United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs can't?

The next 3 years will not be easy for Pep.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
i think this is a bit wishful thinking, no it isnt an easy league, but with the squad and the resources city have its hard to believe he wont be a success :(

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Genuinely don't think it will be as easy as his previous jobs.
Why not?!

Maybe City are not as omnipotent as Muchen or Barcelona, but in the context of the EPL they are as close to that narrative as possible right now.

Put it another way, it would be a lot more challenging for him if he took the United, Chlesea or Aresnal gig right now.

That's not to say we can't compete, but to do so, we need £200m injected in the summer and either LVG finds his marbles again or serial winner Mourinho is appointed.

We have it all to do.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Well that kind of depends on how well he can get City playing/who he can bring in. If he hits the ground running with them then there might not be much serious competition based on this season's evidence. A decent Arsenal outfit is not really more of a challenge than a decent Dortmund side.
Arsenal are a better side than Dortmund and Bayern are a lot better than the current City side. Bayern without Guardiola would beat City more often than not.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
In all honesty, managing City will be most managers wet dream or close to it.

- The starting bar is pretty low. Not like they have a legacy to live up to. Success will be treated big.
- Unlimited money and a free transfer reign. They can mould a team to their own.
- They already have some class players.

The downside is the pressure. They need instant victory, 2 years to PL and CL within 3 years might be standard expectations...but that that will be so in most clubs.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The fact that he just won't do more than 3 years makes this really interesting, this City team is nowhere near the Bayern team he took over and this league won't allow him to experiment a lot.

coolredwine

lameredboots
How hard can it be to win PL? Even Mancini did it. A failed ex Valencia manager is doing pretty well with Leicester. Same with Pochettino who was sacked by Espanyol.
Multiple CL winner is currently struggling at 5th position, multiple CL winner and last year's PL winner was recently fired because they were almost challenging relegation. A manager as stout as Wenger hasn't come close to winning the league in almost 10 years.

justboy68

Why assume that Pep and City could hit the ground running next season but United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs can't?

The next 3 years will not be easy for Pep.
I'm not, I'm just saying that he might not face significantly more of a challenge. That's a big assumption to make too considering the state of many of the leagues powerhouse teams.

lifted

It won't be a stroll in the park but he'll obviously improve City and improving City inevitably means titles. I can't wait to see how his style works in England, even if it is at City, it will be fascinating.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

There is so much wrong with the post, it's a classic case of over rating the premier league. If you watch Bayern regularly you would realize that the 6-0 results aren't about the quality of the opposition, not sure where this myth originated that premier league teams can defend better. I can assure you that if Bayern played in the Pl they would win just as easily and would win the league at a canter.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I hope not. It would be great to see Guardiola's vision come to fruition regularly in our league. Having a club from the premier league being a serious contender in Europe again might prompt the rest of the big boys to raise their game too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There seems to be that air of invincibility around him at that moment that Jose had for so long. He isn't perfect and he will struggle at some point his career. City will certainly be by far has greatest challenge so far, let's hope he fails it!

AshfordLad

It would obviously depend upon his competition.

If United, Chelsea and arsenal get good managers in the summer, winning 1 league, a couple of cups and and a couple of CL semis will be seen as a success.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
It's great for the league that such a great accomplished manager has joined the fray. He will do well. :)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It is impossible for him to flop badly tbh. He is not an imbecile. Could he underachieve like he did at Bayern by his own lofty standards? Mos def but definitely will be winning titles galore.

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
There is so much wrong with the post, it's a classic case of over rating the premier league. If you watch Bayern regularly you would realize that the 6-0 results aren't about the quality of the opposition, not sure where this myth originated that premier league teams can defend better. I can assure you that if Bayern played in the Pl they would win just as easily and would win the league at a canter.
There's MANY posts I could have replied to on here, but I will stay out of controversy and pick just this one.

Yes, they would. Without a shred of a shadow of a doubt. Bizarrely considering the vast sums of money injected into the PL in recent years, the quality is at a very low ebb. What we have is great strength in depth with the bottom teams actually being not that bad, but the top teams have been pretty lacklustre for a while now. That the worst United side in nigh on 40 years are a mere 7 points from the likely title winners is a staggering testament to that.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There's MANY posts I could have replied to on here, but I will stay out of controversy and pick just this one.

Yes, they would. Without a shred of a shadow of a doubt. Bizarrely considering the vast sums of money injected into the PL in recent years, the quality is at a very low ebb. What we have is great strength in depth with the bottom teams actually being not that bad, but the top teams have been pretty lacklustre for a while now. That the worst United side in nigh on 40 years are a mere 7 points from the likely title winners is a staggering testament to that.

No chance. Best league in the world. United are average in context of the league but still a world power.

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
No chance. Best league in the world. United are average in context of the league but still a world power.
Perhaps you didn't understand what I was saying, or didn't read it. Our league is very strong in depth, but the top clubs haven't been great recently. We used to dominate the Champions League and the last time an English club won it, was Chelsea's ridiculous snatch and grab in 2011/12 when they were clearly not the best side in the competition. We used to have 3 or 4 teams in the semis. When did that last happen?

Bayern, Real and Barca are head and shoulders better than any side in our league. If those three and Juve plus perhaps PSG played in our league, our teams would be struggling to get a top 4 spot, with no hope of winning it.