Could Norway be banned from WC? FIFA threatens

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Didn't seem to be a thread on this, various sources but rarely start threads and don't know what sites we can/ can't link so haven't provided one but if someone is able, feel free to add one:

The Norwegian players wore tops while warming up saying "Human Rights On and Off the pitch" as a direct result to the deaths in the Qatar WC that have occured. Norway are considering pulling out the WC entirely and FIFA are considering fines/ other disciplinary actions.

The NFF have said in a statement: ""FIFA is clear that they want to equate a boycott with withdrawing from the competition, which will mean that Norway does not participate further in the qualifying game."

FIFA have responded outlining the threats of fines & sanctions.

Where do you fall on this? Are Norway justified in pulling out or should they be fined/ reprimanded?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be fecked up if they are fined or suspended. I'd expect more and more protests to happen, especially if they get punished. Would be nice if some major nations pulled out and highlight how wrong it is that Fifa have the world cup there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm missing something why would Norway pull out in 2021? They were aware of the work conditions in Qatar before entering the qualifying stage?

RedDevilRoshi

Extremely doubt this will happen.

Norway’s not the only nation that have done this. Holland & Germany did something quite similar and I’m sure Denmark did too.

Redfrog

Who died exactly and how?
Plenty of workers coming from Asia and being treated as slaves to build stadiums for Qatar.

FIFA and UEFA are the worst hypocrites ever. Would like my nation, France, to pull off, even more as they are the world champions but will never happen.

The Firestarter

Would love wide boycott of this, but will never happen. The masses don't really care, they want their entertainment.

BarstoolProphet

There's currently a vote among members of the Norwegian Football Federation on the subject of an official boycott of the Qatar World Cup. The results from that vote is expected on Sunday. Probably will lead to no boycott but atleast it has gained international attention.

Lemansky

I'm missing something why would Norway pull out in 2021? They were aware of the work conditions in Qatar before entering the qualifying stage?
It’s a democratic process that is will be decided by the members of the Norwegian FA. So it’s not one person that takes the decision and it takes time. Will soon be decided tough.

JPRouve

Scout
It’s a democratic process that is will be decided by the members of the Norwegian FA. So it’s not one person that takes the decision and it takes time. Will soon be decided tough.
It doesn't answer the question, why didn't they start that process years ago?

massi83

Is there any evidence that boycotting is more effective than dialogue?

RoyH1

Nothing will happen. It’s only Norway. Imagine if England or Brazil did this.
Perhaps. But if it happened it could have a domino effect in which maybe the other Scandinavian or European nations join. And then FIFA will be freaking out. They should tread carefully

Lemansky

The boycott side of the FA has fought an uphill battle, but it’s been a dialogue around it for a long time.

snk123

The west lecturing on human rights after staying silent on Israel. Typical hypocrisy.

snk123

thousands of migrant workers have died constructing the stadiums
thousands of migrant workers dying in 10 years - no evidence that they were died constructing the stadiums. Fixed it for you

tomaldinho1

Kudos to them for making a stand but they’re too small a country in footballing terms to make FIFA care. We should be joining them, as should all countries. The votes were rigged from the get go - Russia and Qatar…I mean come on.

A World Cup without a few big names suddenly loses all credibility but it has to be the likes of England, Spain, Germany, France, Brasil, Arg etc. to carry weight in a boycott.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will they even qualify? They couldn’t make the Euros.

Tarrou

thousands of migrant workers dying in 10 years - no evidence that they were died constructing the stadiums. Fixed it for you
I don't think it matters if it was the stadium or something else, just whether it's related to working conditions or not

I don't know the answer to that either, though

Redfrog

I have seen the conditions they worked in. That is absolutely horrendous, I don’t know how you can defend it. Slavery seems like a good thing for you…

RoyH1

Why does it seem to upset you that they do it now? The timing is irrelevant. There is no bad time to stand up for human rights.

Lemansky

Why does it seem to upset you that they do it now? The timing is irrelevant. There is no bad time to stand up for human rights.
It’s a fair question. It’s a member driven initiative. All the top brasses in the FA don’t want an boycott, therefore we are in the qualifiers. But they need to listen to the vote.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Fully support it and hope its the start of many teams boycotting. Keep the same energy for human rights violations by bigger nations like America, Russia , China and India though.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
norway historically had a monopoly on both oil export and human rights abuse. their nose has been put right out of joint by the new kids on the block with their new money. they do not appreciate how the qataris are working men to death to build opulent stadia, they are old school. much better to rape and pillage people to oblivion. in their eyes, all of the deaths, in all of the concrete bowls, in all of the world combined aren’t worth one nun slaughtered at lindisfarne. norway are the establishment, the republic, the royalists. they are dinosaurs, relics. they are scared.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not upset, I'm wondering how things developed and why it developed that way.

JPRouve

Scout
The boycott side of the FA has fought an uphill battle, but it’s been a dialogue around it for a long time.
So they only managed to convince the majority recently?

OleBoiii

Why has no one else gone as "far" as Norway? Do you assume all the other nations are perfectly fine with the decision?

Better late than never. Especially when you are literally the first to act.

JPRouve

Scout
Why has no one else gone as "far" as Norway? Do you assume all the other nations are perfectly fine with the decision?

Better late than never. Especially when you are literally the first to act.
The point isn't about other nations, I assume that the decision makers in many other FAs don't give a damn about it.