Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Just wondering. Should they have cancelled Cheltenham. Tens of thousands of people coming over from Ireland.
When they return back to Ireland, they will be Ireland's problem.

To be honest we should be postponing/cancelling large gatherings.

Lynty

I think Boris legacy is already cemented to be fair.
Well perhaps another title:

"Boris Johnson, the PM who took UK out of Europe, crippled the NHS with mismanagement Of Covid-19 and sold its remnants to private US healthcare providers"

He could yet make a success out of it all I guess

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
May have been said before, but I assumed they'd been playing behind closed doors at certain stadiums for years.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's bound to get suspended eventually, along with every other major sporting event coming up shortly, so why wait?

Cancel the PL now.

redshaw

People from Ireland should be worried about coming to England and taking the virus back to more people

Lynty

• London Riots
  • Brexit
  • Coronavirus

Cracking legacy right there.
:lol: :lol:

Just wondering. Should they have cancelled Cheltenham. Tens of thousands of people coming over from Ireland.
We'll be able to say in hindsight. Luckily we don't have to make these decisions, we can sit tight and look back in 6 months times and say how it should have been handled.

If it was me in 10 Downing Street, I'd just cancel everything purely to protect my own reputation. Better to be known as the man who overeacted than the man who failed to act.

OleBoiii

If it gets suspended like in Italy it will surely mean one of these:

1. The Euros get cancelled/postponed/played with several weakened teams.
2. The season is wiped clean(no winner or loser).
3. The league standings at the moment of the cancellation will be final.

I reckon option 1 is the most likely. Option 2 would be hilarious, but we'd also miss out on CL football. Option 3 would be incredibly unfair.

djembatheking

It's terribly unfortunate for the would-be champions of this season, but that's the way it is. Suck it up dippers.
I don`t think the dippers will be that bothered as they are the best team ever so they will walk it next year anyway.

Rooney1987

I wonder if UEFA will work with FIFA and try get the World Cup moved to 2023. Just move everything back a year.

They won’t cancel the league. Even though they should. They’ll see how it all plays out over next 2 weeks which will be too late by that point, decided to play remainder of the season behind closed doors while a few will get postponed. Euros will be moved and they play the remaining league games with the rest of the Europa/CL played in May/June/July.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
If we forget the non footballing reasons, do United fans prefer:
Premier league suspended = possibly no title for Liverpool, but also no eventual CL qualification for United.
Or Premier League continues and United have a chance for CL, but Liverpool are champions?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If we forget the non footballing reasons, do United fans prefer:
Premier league suspended = possibly no title for Liverpool, but also no eventual CL qualification for United.
Or Premier League continues and United have a chance for CL, but Liverpool are champions?
I think that's a no brainer for 90% of their fans :lol:

Zlatattack

If it gets suspended like in Italy it will surely mean one of these:

1. The Euros get cancelled/postponed/played with several weakened teams.
2. The season is wiped clean(no winner or loser).
3. The league standings at the moment of the cancellation will be final.

I reckon option 1 is the most likely. Option 2 would be hilarious, but we'd also miss out on CL football. Option 3 would be incredibly unfair.
i could live with 2. :)

Hawks2008

Imagine shutting everything down for a nasty flu with 2% mortality rate. So much hysteria you'd think this was the black death or something.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Imagine shutting everything down for a nasty flu with 2% mortality rate. So much hysteria you'd think this was the black death or something.
2% of even a million people would be 20,000 people dead. My question to people who think like this would be “how would you feel if someone died because you didn’t take the necessary precautions?”

Maybe you will be ok, but we have a responsibility to the most vulnerable people in society.

People are losing sight of this and it’s callous and the lack of compassion and humanity scares me a lot more than the virus to be honest.

OleBoiii

2% death rate is massive if half the population catches it.

And if it happens quickly(i.e. no precautions are taken), then the death rate will soar. Most countries only have about 3-4 hospital beds per 1000 people. People who'd normally live will die as a result then.

izec

I think we should have playoffs. The top 8 teams play against each other in knockout games and the winner wins the title.

Same for relegation. Get it quickly over with

peridigm

If the league is cut short, there should be no champions this year. Just wipe it off the league history.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
How would it make it worse?
Consider the social and economical costs of basically putting an entire country on hold. Just that alone on one side of the scales is astronomical. Quarantining entire infected populations has little evidence base for its effectiveness. Moreover, in a lot of high profiles cases it has shown few benefits.

Consider how many people's health would deteriorate in other ways through not getting the medical treatment, medicine or other help they need during a quarantine.

Imagine starting the spread of the virus through other paths that were previously less likely. As opposed to a home where 1 adult is self isolating and their partner and kids are out all day Monday-|Friday, you might now have one where a family are now contained together for 16 waking hours, increasing the likelihood they transmit the infection amongst themselves, and then after 14 days now have multiple carriers to go spread it through workplaces, schools and the like.

Yes, continue to isolate sick people or those who are likely sick, but don't stop the rest of society contributing. You have to have a pretty damn good reason to quarantine entire populations and you need public support to do it. You can only do it for a limited time too, before the public won't play ball. The transmission rate so far in the UK entirely supports not quarantining currently. It may happen at some point, but there's a massive cost to doing it, so you only do it at the right time.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think we should have playoffs. The top 8 teams play against each other in knockout games and the winner wins the title.

Same for relegation. Get it quickly over with
I dig it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Liverpool 'Not Guaranteed' Premier League Title If Coronavirus Cuts The Season Short

Liverpool's 22 point lead over Manchester City could all be for nothing if the Coronavirus leads to the Premier League season being shortened.

With the virus spreading across Europe in recent days it has led to the postponement, cancellation or playing behind closed doors of different sporting events.

The recent increased spread on the continent could lead the UK government to 'opt to cancel sporting events for two months,' which would include at least part of the 11 games remaining in England's top tier.
Whilst the title race is already decided what would be more complicated is working out who qualifies for the Champions League and Europa League next season, as well as the relegation places.

Chelsea are in fourth currently but just three points ahead of fifth place Manchester United. Burnley and Everton are only seven points short in ninth and 10th.

The whole European qualification positions are further complicated by the fact that Manchester City have been suspended for two years from competing but are likely to appeal.

Despite their 22 point lead at the top, The Telegraph have reported Jurgen Klopp's side would not 'be guaranteed' to win the title if the season ended early because of the outbreak.

The report also states there is 'no specific regulation' should the situation occur and it means all three teams in the relegation zone could be safe.

At the bottom things are just as tight, Norwich City are bottom on 18 points and seven points away from safety but above them it's pretty close.

There's only seven points between Watford in 19th and Newcastle United in 14th and the season ending early would make it impossible to sort it out.

The problem lies with the clubs chasing either a European spot or who are involved in a relegation battle. So unless those places can be finalized before the PL gets canceled, Liverpool will not get crowned champions.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Consider the social and economical costs of basically putting an entire country on hold. Just that alone on one side of the scales is astronomical. Quarantining entire infected populations has little evidence base for its effectiveness. Moreover, in a lot of high profiles cases it has shown few benefits.

Consider how many people's health would deteriorate in other ways through not getting the medical treatment, medicine or other help they need during a quarantine.

Imagine starting the spread of the virus through other paths that were previously less likely. As opposed to a home where 1 adult is self isolating and their partner and kids are out all day Monday-|Friday, you might now have one where a family are now contained together for 16 waking hours, increasing the likelihood they transmit the infection amongst themselves, and then after 14 days now have multiple carriers to go spread it through workplaces, schools and the like.

Yes, continue to isolate sick people or those who are likely sick, but don't stop the rest of society contributing. You have to have a pretty damn good reason to quarantine entire populations and you need public support to do it. You can only do it for a limited time too, before the public won't play ball. The transmission rate so far in the UK entirely supports not quarantining currently. It may happen at some point, but there's a massive cost to doing it, so you only do it at the right time.
Really? Then how come China seemingly did the impossible?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Really? Then how come China seemingly did the impossible?
A) We still have little idea as to the effectiveness and any peer reviewed evaluation of China’s quarantine. Previous quarantines in similar situations were shown to be far less effective and rational than first thought.

B) China didn’t quarantine anything remotely like their whole country. One city or region with a massive outbreak being quarantined is not the same proportional response to prematurely quarantining an entire country that is only having relatively isolated cases nationally.

C) If China’s decision making was so on point and rational, there would have been no outbreak in the first place. The world is now dealing with a product of China’s political paranoia and disinformation.

D) I am always surprised by how many who have lived and thrived in liberal countries are willing to give up their freedoms, in the guise of “protecting the nation”, as an immediate reaction to panic (terrorism, disease) or long term insecurities (the EU and Brexit, the Weimar Republic, Central European countries today). You really want to adopt China’s policies for controlling its citizens?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
A) We still have little idea as to the effectiveness and any peer reviewed evaluation of China’s quarantine. Previous quarantines in similar situations were shown to be far less effective and rational than first thought.

B) If China’s decision making was so on point and rational, there would have been no outbreak in the first place. The world is now dealing with a product of China’s political paranoia and disinformation.

C) I am always surprised by how many who have lived and thrived in liberal countries are willing to give up their freedoms, in the guise of “protecting the nation”, as an immediate reaction to panic (terrorism, disease) or long term insecurities (the EU and Brexit, the Weimar Republic, Central European countries today).

You really admire a country forcing
We have data now, which shows rate of infection is slowing down in China. The R0 goes down with social distancing and quarantine, I don't know how that's up for debate quite frankly. Quarantine won't work if the majority of the population are infected but that's not the case here.

Officials from Wuhan and Hubei are obviously guilty of an initial cover up but as a country they did extremely well to recover. They did that by using very drastic measures, draconian some might say but also necessary in my opinion. Without the huge quarantine of Hubei I'm absolutely certain we'd be seeing the very worst case scenario. Just have a look at Iran and their views on quarantine and how that worked out for them and then tell me quarantine has no effect. There is clear contrast there. One country decided to take drastic measures and the other encouraged people to go out and vote in the elections. Article in the tweet below.

And I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your last point. No one is giving up their freedom, it's not as if these measures will be enforced indefinitely. Bizarre thing to mention.