Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
There's no point in talking with any kind of certainty. They likely won't be played this year but I wouldn't be surprised if they just moved them for a year.
Yeah fair enough, I just meant cancelled this Summer.

But suppose it could possible happen next year... though even then I'm pretty doubtful personally.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It only spreads through the air if you’re close by to someone coughing and they don’t cover their mouths. I’d back myself to not catch it in a stadium vs a pub with door handles/glasses/money etc always changing hands.
You might back yourself, but odds are in a few months a good few people are going to have it and some people near them will get it, spread it more themselves while watching more football, then take it back with them, spread it on the plane, then spread it when they get back home.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We must be getting fairly close now? The fact the Forrest Chairman contracted it and has possibly shared it amongst the players, coaches and other staff shows that playing behind closed doors won't make much difference.

Do the right thing and cancel this season. I can't see when the final matches can be replayed either considering the Euros in the summer. Just call it all off.

RedDevilRoshi

We must be getting fairly close now? The fact the Forrest Chairman contracted it and has possibly shared it amongst the players, coaches and other staff shows that playing behind closed doors won't make much difference.

Do the right thing and cancel this season. I can't see when the final matches can be replayed either considering the Euros in the summer. Just call it all off.
Won’t be surprised if the Euros this summer got called off, especially with it taking place in 12 different countries.

redshaw

Spain has jumped to 1622 cases and 35 deaths

Hard to see the CL and Europa carrying on. Away fans should be told to stay home at least, not a good idea to have french and spanish fans traveling around.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, I'm not sure how long they'll be able to keep the league going. Not just because of the fans but also because of the players. With the way it's developing, I'm not sure you can ask the players to participate in games where they have close physical contact all the time.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

This is a good point. Okay, PL clubs can take a hit and play behind closed doors but what about lower league clubs who rely on gate receipts? They can't play behind closed doors in the PL without doing the same in Championship, League one and possibly league two. They will have to suspend the league. I think this is pretty much inevitable now.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Euros will be cancelled and Olympics also. This goes far beyond Sporting events. We are talking a pandemic causing deaths. Everyone should be ordered off the streets for 14 days
Would do sweet feck all and likely make things worse at this point.

redshaw

I actually don’t want the title to be tainted for Liverpool - they’ve won it fair and square and deserve to enjoy it like everybody else (not that I will be watching any of it anyway).

They’ve waited long enough.
I can see you Jurgen Jurgen.

Camilo

You might back yourself, but odds are in a few months a good few people are going to have it and some people near them will get it, spread it more themselves while watching more football, then take it back with them, spread it on the plane, then spread it when they get back home.
Aye, but then what? Might as well just get on with it. We're all going to get it eventually.

Member 101269

You would think that’s very possible. Sounds like their health system just can’t cope.

Confirmed cases:

25/2/2020: Italy 320; UK 12

9/3/2020: Italy >7,000; UK 319

Italy don’t have more cases. They’re just two weeks ahead of us.
I think we’re going to get a sudden spike here and that will have major implications for everyday life. Re football, it’s hard to see how it doesn’t get seriously affected very soon.

The stat is from detection; you incubate for a period before. We may already be on the path to 7k.. That is why after the city match I decided not to attend another until it's over

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
On second thoughts , I don't think we would agree for canceling this as we might lose out the CL money. Same applies to Leicester as well.

Too much of confusions. Think they would just defer it and play it in the summer. Euros probably will be cancelled.

DVG7

Didn’t the UK government say they are hoping to delay the height of the outbreak until the summer? Not sure what the logistics of that even are, but if so, it might not be possible to complete this season before the beginning of next.

liverpool could lose every game from now until the end of the season, so it’s imperative that they don’t get awarded the league by default.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Aye, but then what? Might as well just get on with it. We're all going to get it eventually.
Not necessarily everyone. And there'll be lots of old people that perhaps won't get exposure to it unless their immediate family have it, so if you get it because your mate went to a footy game, then pass it on to your nan, that's not great. Perhaps on the grand scale it'll only speed up the spread, but there'll be people who get it who might not have otherwise, and on the smaller scale that could mean people they know potentially dying who wouldn't have died if it wasn't for the football match.

iHicksy

Only fair thing to do is have the top two teams play each other for the title :E not fair at all, i just want to see the scouse's title ripped away from their sweaty palms.

Lynty

I'm certain we'll see the season cancelled or the last few games played behind closed doors.

From a PR perspective, if this virus spikes and cripples the NHS, people will immediately ask why large gatherings wasn't cancelled - the most visible of which is the EPL.

Whether or not cancelling the league has any scientific benefit, won't be considered. Boris will want to show that he took serious action to delay the spread, as this incident could very well be the legacy he's remembered by.

LInkash

Only fair thing to do is have the top two teams play each other for the title :E not fair at all, i just want to see the scouse's title ripped away from their sweaty palms.
Only fair thing to do is to give it to the last team to beat the reining champions.

DVG7

I'm certain we'll see the season cancelled or the last few games played behind closed doors.

From a PR perspective, if this virus spikes and cripples the NHS, people will immediately ask why large gatherings wasn't cancelled - the most visible of which is the EPL.

Whether or not cancelling the league has any scientific benefit, won't be considered. Boris will want to show that he took serious action to delay the spread, as this incident could very well be the legacy he's remembered by.
I think Boris legacy is already cemented to be fair.

Snafu17

Today feels a bit like deadline day. A somewhat horrifying one. So I guess like the one when we bought Fellaini.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Just wondering. Should they have cancelled Cheltenham. Tens of thousands of people coming over from Ireland.