Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Redcy

So you think clubs can afford not to have one year's worth of prize money or broadcasting money. ? Any idea how the clubs will survive and pay the player's salaries.
Lower league clubs cant survive without the day to day income from fixtures. There will be no lower leagues left at all if we miss a year.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
While there are differences in how Coronavirus affects people's health is widely circulated, the impact it has had on the collective IQ seems to have been largely missed!!

The PL and club owners are living in some alternate universe if they think football can resume in June/July, even behind closed doors. There simply is no grasp to how pandemics work their way through a population and the control measures required to mitigate its impact. It's the Trump level idiocy that seems to be creeping into common wisdom. Most of us want the current season to be completed but realistically if that can only occur next year, does it even matter?
I'm someone who thinks the season should be resumed when it's possible however I can see that is becoming less likely each day and we may need to look at resuming the season or starting next season in the autumn. I think the Premier league knows that football is unlikely to happen before August or even September. At the moment I imagine they're trying to figure out how to avoid maximum damage to English football.

Ludens the Red

I see and agree with your point of players should not be able to sue their clubs since a lot of us are having to continue our jobs risking get ourself infected. They should be treated no special than us folks.

However I strongly disagree with the bold part. You'd die or get your career destroyed not just "at worst a bad flu". And also your family and your closed ones as well.
I’ll be very surprised if any footballer suffered severe symptoms from this and have their careers ended. But to be fair your second point was an oversight on my part, they do have their families, most specifically their parents etc who are more at risk who they could pass it on too.

Member 101269

The only chance that this reopens is if the government want more people to get infected (turn the taps back on). I strongly encourage you all to watch the figure in China, they have started to let people back out. If figure increase again, look to the next cycle and next set on economic measure. Be safe, i really don't care now what happens to the league.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Member 101269

I think Italy should be observed, they certainly have an infra and a population that is closer to the UK. Yesterday, the daily death rate was lower than the previous day, so it would be interesting to see if that was a false hope or if the number keeps going downward.

I am looking here:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
Many people are looking in many locations for data; this data is about variations in the first wave. I'm looking for signals of the second wave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gasolin

Many people are looking in many locations for data; this data is about variations in the first wave. I'm looking for signals of the second wave.
Indeed, but today Italy reported lower daily deaths for 2 days in a row, which is promising. Of course, a second wave is potentially possible but not sure if this will happen.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
So you think clubs can afford not to have one year's worth of prize money or broadcasting money. ? Any idea how the clubs will survive and pay the player's salaries.
No they cant but its difficult to say even if the new season would be ready to resume in august.They might need months before its safe to carry on as normal again.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
UK in lockdown now?

Surely the premier League wont be finished now..

FujiVice

The country is in lockdown, I havent seen my niece for 2 weeks, I'm very close to tearing pages out of old library books to wipe my arse and there are still people wondering "is it fair if Liverpool dont get the title." feck Liverpool, I'm scared to death.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This thread title should be changed to - Do you think the Premier League will finish in 2020?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Probably been discussed to death in here already but I'm starting to think this will be the catalyst that finally brings about the European Super League.

caid

Probably been discussed to death in here already but I'm starting to think this will be the catalyst that finally brings about the European Super League.
tens of thousands of fans travelling around europe on a weekly basis seems the most likely thing to come out of this to you?

How? Why?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
tens of thousands of fans travelling around europe on a weekly basis seems the most likely thing to come out of this to you?

How? Why?
I'm talking about long run effects, not immediate effects.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
From a few days ago, hadn't seen this until now. Can't imagine it going down too well with Rangers...

Redcy

To me it looks like we may see it, it depends how long we lockdown for and lose football? If we close down for 9 months then football leagues will be gone, leaving much fewer top level teams, someone like Sky mighte ven drive it. We may see smaller domestic comps, and bigger European ones. With sky funding it.

caid

I think the idea of a European Super League is dead and buried.
I think football in its current format is going to need to change fairly drastically because i dont see this being the last pandemic in our short or medium term future. The number of internationals, champions league and europa league games is going to be the first victim of that imo.
I think were going to see a few cancelled tournaments and various teams having to drop out of competitions because their kit man picked up something and everyone at the club needs to be isolated for a month.
Domestic leagues will just be easier to get back up and running, deal with the obstacles that will be created and be less irresponsible basically in terms of spreading sicknesses around europe.

Dante

Average bang
The Olympics is within sight of being postponed for at least a year. It was due to last 24 July 2020 to 9 August 2020.

Without the Coronavirus it's likely that 9 August 2020 would have been the start of the Premier League season. If we assume that all sport will be unable to resume until after that date, any resumption of 2019-20 would overlap with what should have been 2020-21. Which would then push back 2021-22, and it in turn push back 2022-23 and so on and so forth.

That's simply unworkable. Stick a fork in last season's Premier League. It's done.

Give the Liverpool squad an honourary PL medallion, the same way that Hollywood actors get an honourary doctorate from universities for delivering a graduation speech. Then move on.

Last edited:

D. Mungai

The Olympics is within sight of being postponed for at least a year. It was due to last 24 July 2020 to 9 August 2020.

Without the Coronavirus it's likely that 9 August 2020 would have been the start of the Premier League season. So that means any resumption of 2019-20 would overlap with what should have been 2020-21. Which would then push back 2021-22, and it in turn push back 2022-23 and so on and so forth.

That's simply unworkable. Stick a fork in last season's Premier League. It's done.

Give the Liverpool squad an honourary PL medallion, the same way that Hollywood actors get an honourary doctorate from universities for delivering a graduation speech. Then move on.
True. I have maintained it here it's humanly impossible to play football untill September 2020.

That was then, from how the issue is escalating and without vaccine or cure there will be no football this year. Its sad but somehow true through projection.

To eradicate this virus without a vaccine or cure is impossible thus we stay in a state of limbo.
One new case, back to the drawing board again.

Redcy

That's the most negative article I've read.
It's bleak.
I agree maybe its just people finally giving a wake up call to the realities of this situation. We have been living on hope and a prayer that things will get better, we have seen and are still seeing that even after lockdowns, advice, etc the public are not changing their ways, not all their fault tbh, businesses like sports direct warehouses are still having 500+ people turn up to work this morning, people still going out to non essential work etc, as soon as restrictions are lifted the virus will reinfect. Its almost certain that we cannot get out of this by July-August, and it maybe longer without any vaccine in sight. Originally it was suggested we might get a vaccine early, maybe within 4 months.

We have had people tell us consistently that games can be played bcd, any idea of that surely has to be quashed now, it will lead to massive disruption or needing police force coverage to stop congregation. There is no way the police allow it on H&S grounds.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Im thinking we are not going to see a football match played unitl 2021 at the earliest.

Would you go into a stadium if this thing isnt sorted?
Unless I got some sort of vaccine into me I wouldnt go in to a stadium. My mother is 65, mother in law is 72, father in law is 69, all with some ailment or other.
My best mates wife has MS and his mother has cancer, my closest workmate has diabetes. Myself and my kids are in the bracket for the mild symptoms but I would not want to risk passing it on to ANYONE.

Football is really irrelevant for the foreseeable - lts tough shit for liverpool blah blah blah but is that really important? Absolutely not.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This thread title should be changed to - Do you think the Premier League will finish in 2020?
If the FA want, at all costs, to give the title to Liverpoo, yes it will be finished!

Can you imagine having a lockdown for three weeks and then the players have to start training again and get into condition, maybe try playing a couple of friendly matches and then continue with the league for a couple of matches until the 'Poo have won the league and then stop everything?!

Just hand them the title and get it over with!

Ridiculous idiots!