Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If the FA want, at all costs, to give the title to Liverpoo, yes it will be finished!

Can you imagine having a lockdown for three weeks and then the players have to start training again and get into condition, maybe try playing a couple of friendly matches and then continue with the league for a couple of matches until the 'Poo have won the league and then stop everything?!

Just hand them the title and get it over with!

Ridiculous idiots!

Continuing league football is the solution that makes the biggest sense for all football clubs, not only for Liverpool. I understand that from a United fan's perspective, Liverpool is the epitome of evil but honestly, even the most die-hard fan should be able to maintain at least some kind of objectivity. Every league wants to finish the season if there's the possibility because otherwise, the consequences will still be around in a decade in form of clubs that broke down for good. Thinking the willingness to finish this season has something to do with Liverpool leading the table is just borderline deluded. That's Brexit/Trump level antagonizing and conspiracy idiocy.

redshaw

Im thinking we are not going to see a football match played unitl 2021 at the earliest.
Could work out that way.

They would then be forced to scrap next season and it could leave a window of Jan-May 2021 to conclude this season and then start the European Championships

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I listen to the BBC daily football podcast and on an episode last week they were discussing the various possibilities. One of the guys on the show that day was Ian Wright, and while you had the other guys (notably Mark Chapman) measuredly discussing the options for the PL and lower leagues, Ian Wright was like a broken machine stuck on "one way or another this season has to be finished" "I just want it to be finished for my Liverpool mates" "yeah it's unprecedented but it has to be finished", you could actually feel Chapman getting slightly annoyed by his stupidity. Some of the logics or mental gymnastics going on regarding resumption of the league are bewildering.

TheReligion

Abusive
Could work out that way.

They would then be forced to scrap next season and it could leave a window of Jan-May 2021 to conclude this season and then start the European Championships
Just feck the season off! No one is interested at that point and the logistics with contacts and such are a minefield.

Utterly impossible.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I listen to the BBC daily football podcast and on an episode last week they were discussing the various possibilities. One of the guys on the show that day was Ian Wright, and while you had the other guys (notably Mark Chapman) measuredly discussing the options for the PL and lower leagues, Ian Wright was like a broken machine stuck on "one way or another this season has to be finished" "I just want it to be finished for my Liverpool mates" "yeah it's unprecedented but it has to be finished", you could actually feel Chapman getting slightly annoyed by his stupidity. Some of the logics or mental gymnastics going on regarding resumption of the league are bewildering.
It's getting really annoying this Liverpool centric focus on finishing the season. I want to finish the season but only for every other team to have a fair conclusion to the season.

I don't know what it's like in other countries but is there this much enthusiasm to have Barca win La Liga or Juve win Serie A?

Redcy

Could work out that way.

There wont be clubs left to complete the season if we get to that point, especially in the lower leagues, I wouldnt be so sure of PL club survival, what do we do if one team has been lost to bankruptcy for example? They will have to rethink what the options are, in fact if it hits that point I can see them just abandoning football altogether until 2021-2022 season.

Redcy

Continuing league football is the solution that makes the biggest sense for all football clubs, not only for Liverpool. I understand that from a United fan's perspective, Liverpool is the epitome of evil but honestly, even the most die-hard fan should be able to maintain at least some kind of objectivity. Every league wants to finish the season if there's the possibility because otherwise, the consequences will still be around in a decade in form of clubs that broke down for good. Thinking the willingness to finish this season has something to do with Liverpool leading the table is just borderline deluded. That's Brexit/Trump level antagonizing and conspiracy idiocy.
I think everyone on here wants to finish the league, because you realise its actually in our benefit, as evidenced by our representatives insisting its finished. The question is "At what point do we have to abandon this year?". Liverpool fans think it should never be abandoned, as they understandably want to win it at all costs, united the club seem to think that too tbh. However the measured approach has to be not what is good for a handful of clubs, but what is good overall. The current top suggestions appear to be:

1) Play behind closed doors - This has so many flaws its almost ridiculous. We couldn't see a realistic resumption before about June anyway, and then you are exposing hundreds of people, including players, staff, coaches, security, police, etc to issues. It also completely ignores the fact that the lower leagues solely rely on gate attendance not tv cash, playing games down there would see them collapse anyway. Also fans would not stay away, and we would end up with more police/security trying to keep them away. Lets not pretend players/clubs asking fans anything would help.

2) Restart the 9 rounds whenever we can, it doesn't matter when. The big issue here is what impact it has on the next season, proponents of finishing suggest we finish before starting a new one. This will possibly mean 2020-2021 is cancelled or shortened, again any of which literally mean lower league clubs going out of business, maybe even PL ones. We might not even have all clubs available to finish the various leagues, so what are we doing then?

3) Everything will be fine by June and we can play out the league, or we squeeze it in in a short period, this is the Neville option, plat a festival of football, again it completely ignore any logic about how the games could be played, fitness levels, and probably only works for the PL. United in theory could have 13 games minimum to squeeze into a 6 week period. It actually seems the most feasible in theory, but again we still need to finish everything by September/october.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

Unless they decide to finish this season off there's now ay Liverpool can't be handed the title. No one is in distant of them or could catch them with a game or two in hand. Anyone wanting them to not be deemed champions because they are who they are should really reconsider their mentality. They got the points needed to do so, and if it was the other way around and we hadn't won in that many years it would be unbearable to consider not winning due to the pandemic.

Them finishing the season next spring does make a lot of sense tbh, if not crown them champions. Won't be for too long imo.

Unless they decide to finish this season off there's now ay Liverpool can't be handed the title. No one is in distant of them or could catch them with a game or two in hand. Anyone wanting them to not be deemed champions because they are who they are should really reconsider their mentality. They got the points needed to do so, and if it was the other way around and we hadn't won in that many years it would be unbearable to consider not winning due to the pandemic.

Them finishing the season next spring does make a lot of sense tbh, if not crown them champions. Won't be for too long imo.
i think we should be withdrawing your posting privileges hound man.

how ever many points Liverpool, or any team is ahead is irrelevant. There are 20 teams in the PL and 91 in the English leagues - you can’t unilaterally fix their positions in the league which is what You are suggesting.

think about it again.

SirAF

Ageist

how ever many points Liverpool, or any team is ahead is irrelevant. There are 20 teams in the PL and 91 in the English leagues - you can’t unilaterally fix their positions in the league which is what You are suggesting.

think about it again.
:lol:

redshaw

Just feck the season off! No one is interested at that point and the logistics with contacts and such are a minefield.

Utterly impossible.
There wont be clubs left to complete the season if we get to that point, especially in the lower leagues, I wouldnt be so sure of PL club survival, what do we do if one team has been lost to bankruptcy for example? They will have to rethink what the options are, in fact if it hits that point I can see them just abandoning football altogether until 2021-2022 season.

I'm not in favour but within the game there's a lot of will to finish it.

Lets say in Jan 2021 we're clear and ready to go back to normal, I think for the good of the clubs there should be something. People will want to go back to watching live football. Perhaps a special mini season not counted so clubs can get the money rolling back in. Waiting from early 2021 to Aug 2021 could put more clubs out of business.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Oh really?!
Every league wants to finish the season?!
You don't seem to read what's going on in other European leagues

Do you think the players are clockwork soldiers - wind them up and start playing?!

I really don't know who's borderline deluded, antagonizing and an idiot here - certainly not me.

Redcy

Absolutely no way the leagues fix "as is", it would be open to so much suing of the leagues it cannot happen. With 25% of the season to go they are not going to do that, whether liverpool want to or not. Finishing the season next year would be infeasible because so many clubs will go out of business. Nothing to do with Liverpool or not, its about what would be considered fair and would it be challenged in the courts.

Redcy

Lets say in Jan 2021 we're clear and ready to go back to normal, I think for the good of the clubs there should be something. People will want to go back to watching live football. Perhaps a special mini season not counted so clubs can get the money rolling back in. Waiting from early 2021 to Aug 2021 could put more clubs out of business.
I could see some kind of mini tournament happening, that much I could see, and this is what i meant, if we see no football before 2021 it will not be going back to the 2019-2020 season, nor will it be a full new season. We would likely need to reevaluate the whole league structure, teams, etc. The leagues will be decimated if we have to wait that long.

Redcy

I also agree everyone wants to finish it, i just dont think it would be at the expense of next season, or a shortened next season. I could be wrong though, it just seems insurmountable football wise even in extreme circumstances. It would be more likely to void this season and start new next year.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You're not even allowed to leave the house more than once a day or for emergencies right now, which will be for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Any idea of watching football for a long, long time, is an absolute pipe dream.

RedorDead21

I also agree everyone wants to finish it, i just dont think it would be at the expense of next season, or a shortened next season. I could be wrong though, it just seems insurmountable football wise even in extreme circumstances. It would be more likely to void this season and start new next year.
Voiding this season would be an absolute piss-take and there is no way they can do that. They will forego next season before they do that and rightly so. If it was any other team at the top of the league that would be just a common thought process. Football won't kick off for me until July at least and they'll just have to wrap it up quickly.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everyone still forgetting there's a world cup slap bang in the middle of a season in just two and a half years time? So weren't going to have a normal season regardless of virus in near future.

That at least gives flexibility going forward as football calender will be out of sync for a pretty long time now unless you just cancel cup competitions which remains an option.

TheRedHearted

think about it again.
Thought about it again, and oops, yeah, there it is, same conclusion. Liverpool are currently first In the league. Last I checked first in the league wins the title, or am I getting that wrong as well? Perhaps It's 10th?

Absolutely no way the leagues fix "as is", it would be open to so much suing of the leagues it cannot happen. With 25% of the season to go they are not going to do that, whether liverpool want to or not. Finishing the season next year would be infeasible because so many clubs will go out of business. Nothing to do with Liverpool or not, its about what would be considered fair and would it be challenged in the courts.
But all joking aside, if the season isn't to be continued at a later date erasing the progress of the season thus far is just as criminal as predicting the 25 percent that has yet to happen, right? The logic stands.
Finish the league at a later date, or crown the club in first place champions. That would make sense to most people except for the fact that it's Liverpool whose first.

Redcy

Thought about it again, and oops, yeah, there it is, same conclusion. Liverpool are currently first In the league. Last I checked first in the league wins the title, or am I getting that wrong as well? Perhaps It's 10th?

But all joking aside, if the season isn't to be continued at a later date erasing the progress of the season thus far is just as criminal as predicting the 25 percent that has yet to happen, right? The logic stands.
Finish the league at a later date, or crown the club in first place champions. That would make sense to most people except for the fact that it's Liverpool whose first.
What about the clubs in relegation? You don't think thats going to be an issue? They wont fight it in court? What about the championship teams coming up. Or do we only apply the logic to liverpool? You dont think United would fight this (for missing out on CL)?

redshaw

I could see some kind of mini tournament happening, that much I could see, and this is what i meant, if we see no football before 2021 it will not be going back to the 2019-2020 season, nor will it be a full new season. We would likely need to reevaluate the whole league structure, teams, etc. The leagues will be decimated if we have to wait that long.
If we have six months from around Jan - June 2021 to fill we could have a Northern and Southern Premier League and also split the other leagues. Doesn't matter where the divide is as long as we have 10 teams in each in regards to the PL, we have enough time to play each other home away and complete a mini season. Fans and clubs can compete and complete in something then we can start a new full season in August 2021.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If the FA want, at all costs, to give the title to Liverpoo, yes it will be finished!

Can you imagine having a lockdown for three weeks and then the players have to start training again and get into condition, maybe try playing a couple of friendly matches and then continue with the league for a couple of matches until the 'Poo have won the league and then stop everything?!

Just hand them the title and get it over with!

Ridiculous idiots!
You just made up an imaginery and completely unrealistic scenario and then proceeded to insult the FA for your own imagination. Think you already might need a sanity check mate.

spiriticon

I don't get the argument of voiding next season to finish this one. So say we can only restart around September 2020 and we play the 10 games to finish the season off. That will be November 2020 when it's all done.

So do we then all sit on our butts from November 2020 to May 2021 and wait for the next, next season to start? I mean , wtf?

Redcy

Voiding this season would be an absolute piss-take and there is no way they can do that. They will forego next season before they do that and rightly so. If it was any other team at the top of the league that would be just a common thought process. Football won't kick off for me until July at least and they'll just have to wrap it up quickly.

No if it was any other team it would have been voided already. Or if it was a close league chances are it would be voided.

I don't see there is anyway we void a whole 38-42 games across all leagues just to finish this season. You really think we should destroy large amounts of the league, send clubs into bankruptcy, lose the whole structure of the game just to ensure we finish this year? Make no bones about it, if we don't have a season next year then the whole of football will collapse. Do you think they are going to keep the grounds, stadiums, players, coaches, staff, etc viable for a whole year without playing.

You may turn out to be right, but if we see that, honestly when we come back in 2021-22 the whole thing would be massively different. Probably 80% of players out of contract, 50% of teams gone, there would be a mass collapse of domestic football.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
No if it was any other team it would have been voided already. Or if it was a close league chances are it would be voided.
This is next level deluded shite. Have a word with yourself man, have we seen any other league voided already? It literally doesn't matter who's on top and who isn't.

The UK can barely keep up with effective guidelines for the general public, let alone they would've already made a decision about a fecking football league.

Redcy

I don't get the argument of voiding next season to finish this one. So say we can only restart around September 2020 and we play the 10 games to finish the season off. That will be November 2020 when it's all done.

So do we then all sit on our butts from November 2020 to May 2021 for the next, next season to start? I mean , wtf?
Yep that is exactly what people are suggesting, then we can just restart 2021-22 and everything will be fine. Or we could have a festival of football. The trouble with that festival of football is it will not be in any way equivalent in terms of finances, either TV or attendance, clubs would not have the cash to pay players or staff. That is the major issue right now. Cancelling next season is unlikely unless we don't play any football at all until 2021, in which case the whole thing will be dead in the water and we will need to review the whole football league, etc. All so United get a CL place, and Liverpool a PL?

Redcy

This is next level deluded shite. Have a word with yourself man, have we seen any other league voided already? It literally doesn't matter who's on top and who isn't.

The UK can barely keep up with effective guidelines for the general public, let alone they would've already made a decision about a fecking football league.
OK it wouldnt be voided yet, but it would not be this huge deal, with the whole liverpool mafia coming out saying it must be finished no matter what the effect on people or the future of football.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
OK it wouldnt be voided yet, but it would not be this huge deal, with the whole liverpool mafia coming out saying it must be finished no matter what the effect on people or the future of football.
I don't live in the UK so I have very little coverage of what's going on in your media. All I'll say is that football is secondary right now and people going on about why the league (or any sports league) should definitely be finished are living in a bubble and don't have their priorities straight. I know they're paid to talk about football but their only comments should be that they'll have to assess the situation once there's clarity about the virus, all talk beforehand is just pure speculation whether you're a Redcafe member or Ian Wright.

I do think most people want the league to be wrapped up because it's simply the easiest solution (IF possible), regardless of who's currently on top. The question is: when does it simply become impossible or at what point will you start prioritizing finishing this league over starting next season on time, and thus maybe jeopardizing the whole season next year. It's all a very grey area and none of us can say either this or that would be the best solution.

TheRedHearted

What about the clubs in relegation? You don't think thats going to be an issue? They wont fight it in court? What about the championship teams coming up. Or do we only apply the logic to liverpool? You dont think United would fight this (for missing out on CL)?
The clubs in relegation will be relegated and if City are missing out on Champions league then we get CL. And if not, yeah, fifth wasn't good enough. Should have bought Fernandes in the summer and loaned Ighalo earlier as well. The alternative is to finish this season while next season gets completely disjointed, which means less football. Less football means less money for the clubs. I don't see how my logic is easily spread across all ends.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think everyone on here wants to finish the league, because you realise its actually in our benefit, as evidenced by our representatives insisting its finished. The question is "At what point do we have to abandon this year?". Liverpool fans think it should never be abandoned, as they understandably want to win it at all costs, united the club seem to think that too tbh. However the measured approach has to be not what is good for a handful of clubs, but what is good overall. The current top suggestions appear to be:

1) Play behind closed doors - This has so many flaws its almost ridiculous. We couldn't see a realistic resumption before about June anyway, and then you are exposing hundreds of people, including players, staff, coaches, security, police, etc to issues. It also completely ignores the fact that the lower leagues solely rely on gate attendance not tv cash, playing games down there would see them collapse anyway. Also fans would not stay away, and we would end up with more police/security trying to keep them away. Lets not pretend players/clubs asking fans anything would help.

2) Restart the 9 rounds whenever we can, it doesn't matter when. The big issue here is what impact it has on the next season, proponents of finishing suggest we finish before starting a new one. This will possibly mean 2020-2021 is cancelled or shortened, again any of which literally mean lower league clubs going out of business, maybe even PL ones. We might not even have all clubs available to finish the various leagues, so what are we doing then?

3) Everything will be fine by June and we can play out the league, or we squeeze it in in a short period, this is the Neville option, plat a festival of football, again it completely ignore any logic about how the games could be played, fitness levels, and probably only works for the PL. United in theory could have 13 games minimum to squeeze into a 6 week period. It actually seems the most feasible in theory, but again we still need to finish everything by September/october.

Those are completely reasonable points and while I may disagree with a few, it's a totally valid opinion. I was addressing a different mindset, though, that's by no means as rational as the one you're displaying in this post ;)

I was primarily referring to the idea that the league isn't abandoned as of yet because of Liverpool. And that's just conspiracy shit and finger pointing, IMO.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
The clubs in relegation will be relegated and if City are missing out on Champions league then we get CL. And if not, yeah, fifth wasn't good enough. Should have bought Fernandes in the summer and loaned Ighalo earlier as well. The alternative is to finish this season while next season gets completely disjointed, which means less football. Less football means less money for the clubs. I don't see how my logic is easily spread across all ends.
There is no way they allow the current league positions to stand; any club in the relegation positions currently still have more than enough points available to avoid going down.
The only way that this gets resolved is if everyone gets treated equally, i.e. all teams play every other team in the league home & away using the squad of players that is currently available to them or all teams get their season voided.
It’s really that simple.

Member 101269

It is very optimistic, no deluded, to suggest the league will be fine by June. Once the numbers of cases start to decrease they will release the taps again so more get infected/die. Whether this year is cancelled or next year is shorten in part it's shuffling resources which, most probably, will be based on some agency bias. At the moment, clubs like united are still seeking commitment from season ticket holder without fulfilling, or having an prospect of fulfilling, current obligations. There is significant concerns that liquidity in the economic system may become more problematic, which, perhaps, may lower renewals and sponsorship.

No, I don't want it to restart 2019-20 for the sake of appeasing powers, and at the risk of people dying. This could go on until we have a vaccine, 18-24 months?

I'm looking to hear under what conditions do the authorities void the season?

spiriticon

Yep that is exactly what people are suggesting, then we can just restart 2021-22 and everything will be fine. Or we could have a festival of football. The trouble with that festival of football is it will not be in any way equivalent in terms of finances, either TV or attendance, clubs would not have the cash to pay players or staff. That is the major issue right now. Cancelling next season is unlikely unless we don't play any football at all until 2021, in which case the whole thing will be dead in the water and we will need to review the whole football league, etc. All so United get a CL place, and Liverpool a PL?
Not to mention if we do cancel 20/21, we need all the European leagues to follow us otherwise that means England will have to forfeit it's CL and EL spots for a year.

We can't have Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, the Champion's League and the Europa League all playing season 20/21 while we sit there twiddling our thumbs waiting. Ludicrous.

I think the festival of football is just a mad idea for player health and fitness (10 games in 10 days?! Will they have any hamstrings left?) , so I'd rather have the league finished behind closed doors if we really must finish it.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
So the government is asking everyone including kids to stay inside but the premier league will come back and play behind closed doors, which will be a wonderful example to kids of how to stay inside and not flaunt the rules. How is that setting the right example about social contact? Especially to the kids? I get it’s about the money but if clubs didn’t overpay for players, overpay players and agents, maybe they wouldn’t be so desperate to finish the season off at any cost.
We are months away from this even beginning be under control, void the season, take the financial hit and do the right thing ffs. It’s just a sport. If it means some clubs are up a shit creek, then maybe learn to live within your means and have cash reserves. It’s a joke that clubs could be turning over hundreds of millions and be in such a financially precarious situation.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
So the government is asking everyone including kids to stay inside but the premier league will come back and play behind closed doors, which will be a wonderful example to kids of how to stay inside and not flaunt the rules. How is that setting the right example about social contact? Especially to the kids? I get it’s about the money but if clubs didn’t overpay for players, overpay players and agents, maybe they wouldn’t be so desperate to finish the season off at any cost.
We are months away from this even beginning be under control, void the season, take the financial hit and do the right thing ffs. It’s just a sport. If it means some clubs are up a shit creek, then maybe learn to live within your means and have cash reserves. It’s a joke that clubs could be turning over hundreds of millions and be in such a financially precarious situation.
No.

Why do people have the need to come up with an imaginery scenario and then rant about it?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
With a 3 weeks mandatory lockdown and possible extension, with the way the virus is spreading how realistic is it to complete this season before August? If we don't complete the season by August should we disrupt future seasons/calendar to accommodate this current one? Are other sports going to resume too or its just football?

As a Bayern fan, I think we have a great chance of winning the CL this season but all that is secondary, Like Hoeness said, Football shouldn't take itself too seriously. IF safe to complete 2019/20 by August then fine, If not scrap it.

Member 101269

As a Bayern fan, I think we have a great chance of winning the CL this season but all that is secondary, Like Hoeness said, Football shouldn't take itself too seriously. IF safe to complete 2019/20 by August then fine, If not scrap it.
It's probably the most sensible comment i've heard.