Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

stevoc

When you say cut off point at the end of June do you mean for player contracts? If so I think FIFA are going to recommend those be extended. Considering FIFA plonked WC22 right in the middle of a European season I’m sure dates could be moved IF there is the will to do so. We all know that at the end of the day the deciding factor is likely to be money. The ensuing plan will be the result of what will do least financial damage
Fifa can recommend whatever they like but I’d say in the majority of cases the player will want to leave anyway or the club will not renew the players contract if that had been in their respective planning.

And once that Pandora’s box is opened then the fairness of the entire competition is called into question if the season has 3 transfer windows and biggger richer clubs can reinforce with only 9 matches left.

For example United and Sheffield are both competing for 4th/5th after June United can recall their 1st choice keeper and one of the biggest reasons they’ve done so well this season. While simultaneously going out and spending £200+ million on new players. Does that seem fair?

Of course it isn’t which is why I personally think if this season isn’t completed by the end of June then it never will be.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Perhaps unrelated, but the FIGC President (President of the Italian FA) confirmed there will be a champion of Serie A 2019/2020, even if the season cannot be finished, to "preserve the value of sporting competition".
Full quotes are here:

https://www.football-italia.net/151578/gravina-confirms-scudetto-winner
“There’s a plan, to which we’ve given absolute priority,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“We’d all be happy to finish the season on the pitch. We’re in contact with FIFA for contract extensions if we need to go beyond June 30.

“We have to find a solution and the ideal one would be to go until July 30. We must comply with regulations and what comes from the highest political and scientific offices.

“If we can’t play, we’d still like to preserve the value of the sporting competition that took place on the field.

“We’re talking about where the Scudetto would go, but it’s for the Federal Council to decide.

“We still have to reach a conclusion for next season’s line-up of teams, from the European competitions to promotions and relegations.”
Very wishy washy...

Per the bottom quote line, if they can't actually play, no way they can decide that. Would be sued back to the stone age by the clubs negatively effected by it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Fifa can recommend whatever they like but I’d say in the majority of cases the player will want to leave anyway or the club will not renew the players contract if that had been in their respective planning.

And once that Pandora’s box is opened then the fairness of the entire competition is called into question if the season has 3 transfer windows and biggger richer clubs can reinforce with only 9 matches left.

For example United and Sheffield are both competing for 4th/5th after June United can recall their 1st choice keeper and one of the biggest reasons they’ve done so well this season. While simultaneously going out and spending £200+ million on new players. Does that seem fair?

Of course, it isn’t which is why I personally think if this season isn’t completed by the end of June then it never will be.
Plus our two best players, Pogba and Rashford, would have returned to full fitness before the season restarts too.

The second half of the season becomes more farcical the longer this break period exists.

Vanrouge

I actually don’t think many Utd fans are bothered about losing out on the CL. Admittedly I don’t know what Utd fans are saying in the Utd forum on here so maybe I’m completely wrong but in this forum it seems to barely get mentioned. It’s almost as if, and I know I’m going out on a limb here, Utd fans care more about us not winning the league.

With the problems on and off the pitch Utd have had recently I would have thought a return to elite level European football was the number 1 priority. It seems to be for Ed, Ole and the players But not so much for the fans.

I’m glad you said “putting aside the horrors of the virus” because it is possible to do that and talk about football and how/when it might restart. There is a well developed narrative that if you want the current season finished it means you don’t care about anyone and are basically evil incarnate. You can only care about the elderly, people with underlying health issues and humanity in general if you want the season voided. In which case, amongst others, West Ham fans must be angels.

I do think that after this is over we will all realise how important football is to us. It’s only been a couple of weeks and yet it feels like an eternity already. As someone said it’s the most important of the least important things. Stay safe.
Okay, with the caveat that this is only football, this United fan is very bothered about losing out on the CL. It's the biggest cup competition out there, United have a rich history on that stage, and there are financial penalties to not qualifying. Don't forget that it was United who pioneered English involvement in the CL's historical equivalent, the European Cup. So no, given a choice (and I can't speak for others, of course), I'd choose the option of United qualifying for the CL and being able to continue our progress in the EL and Liverpool being crowned champions.

I've read the back and forth about whether the season should be allowed to finish in some way, and honestly it all seems to be conjecture at this point, so I haven't really involved myself in that discussion. All I'll say is that with every passing day, a resumption of the current season is looking more and more unlikely, and that hurts us as much as it hurts you (okay, maybe not quite as much, given the thirty year wait). I don't think wanting the season to be finished is "evil incarnate"; I just think it's a little myopic and unrealistic. But some of the celebrity Liverpool fans in the media have shamed themselves in that it seems to be their entire focus during this crisis, to ensure that ending Liverpool's wait for the title is somehow more important than anything else.

Do I think it's fair if Liverpool miss out? No, I don't. Your team deserves the title, and would almost certainly have won it, so at least you'll always know you were the "moral winners," which always seems to matter a lot to Liverpool fans in general and has been sufficient comfort for them in the past. ;)

Football has always been a big part of my life, and I adore Manchester United, but I'd give up all our silverware throughout history to ensure my family and friends don't die from this. My nephew is in healthcare and contracted the virus and thankfully seems to have recovered. But I know and love many vulnerable people, as do we all, and football is great and has enriched our lives as fans, but yes. I'm glad we agree on priorities, all banter and rivalry aside.

You too; be safe, be well.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Beyond all footballers going into isolation for the remainder of the season or purposefully infecting them now to build immunity it's just not possible to complete it.

As long as quarantine for those infected is still a requirement then it seems unlikely you could schedule enough games.
It might not be possible to start the next season either if this drags on. Could end up with football resuming in November or December.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It might not be possible to start the next season either if this drags on. Could end up with football resuming in November or December.
It was inconceivable that Liverpool would not claim the title a month or so back.

Does this somewhat grate on you?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Look, every single team in the league wants to continue the season. Whether they are top, bottom or somewhere in between. They'll find a way to do it.
Based on?

West Ham's Brady said about 2 weeks ago to void it, and others have said the same.

mav_9me

Things are not going to return to normal for a looooong time. At a minimum of 2 months. Forget the premier league, I realize they have so many people employed. But forget them because so many sectors are going to have huge problems. I do not see anyway they can play for at least another 3-4 months, if at all things stabilize.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think most people are understanding that there can't possibly be any resuming of the season before June. You need certain medical resource to hold games for starters, and that naturally has to be held back for this emergency.

English athletics has banned all races, training and meets to the end of May, with rumours that St John's ambulance won't support June races - rendering them off now too.

Cases are still escalating quickly at the moment. We need that to end, we need it to stabilise and start dropping. We need to have a few weeks with no cases.
That little lot will be months and months.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
I think most people are understanding that there can't possibly be any resuming of the season before June. You need certain medical resource to hold games for starters, and that naturally has to be held back for this emergency.

English athletics has banned all races, training and meets to the end of May, with rumours that St John's ambulance won't support June races - rendering them off now too.

Cases are still escalating quickly at the moment. We need that to end, we need it to stabilise and start dropping. We need to have a few weeks with no cases.
That little lot will be months and months.
You make a lot of sense. The problem with people calling this season to be null and void so we can start the next season on time is that it assumes the coronavirus wouldn't disrupt the 2020/2021 season. We can only go by the information that has been provided which is that a 2nd wave could happen around October/November which would inevitably disrupt next season as well. A 2nd wave could very well mean voiding two seasons. It's why I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the season will be deemed null and void. Non of us have the foggiest what the world will be like in a few months time. It's a waiting game. Football is on the back foot and rightly so.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Perhaps unrelated, but the FIGC President (President of the Italian FA) confirmed there will be a champion of Serie A 2019/2020, even if the season cannot be finished, to "preserve the value of sporting competition".
Let me guess, Juventus win again :rolleyes:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You make a lot of sense. The problem with people calling this season to be null and void so we can start the next season on time is that it assumes the coronavirus wouldn't disrupt the 2020/2021 season. We can only go by the information that has been provided which is that a 2nd wave could happen around October/November which would inevitably disrupt next season as well. A 2nd wave could very well mean voiding two seasons. It's why I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the season will be deemed null and void. Non of us have the foggiest what the world will be like in a few months time. It's a waiting game. Football is on the back foot and rightly so.
Exactly right. Both options of void and continue are full of issues. We can't be certain of an uninterrupted season, we probably can't even be certain of an uninterrupted 9-10 games.

I think the only thing that makes things even more awkward than they are now, is if we re-started in say autumn, Liverpool played and got their 2 wins, and then we had to stop again. Liverpool would say they've in effect won it, but in reality you have to have all games of a league complete. And you can't have just a winner, and nothing else decided.

But at some point, you have to make a judgement - are we restarting and confident it can be an unbroken spell.

Maybe completing this season, or attempting to, would be the "trial" for getting a new season going?
I really don't know. I still think it's edging on the way of being scrapped to be honest. Just through the noises coming out from various areas, non league lower tiers binning it, and there being absolutely no end in sight to this whole mess

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just checked the table, and there's ONE point between Juventus and Lazio.

So that would be an utterly insane decision to make!! And a ludicrous precedent.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Basically calling the league tables final so they can pay out prize money to help keep clubs afloat?
In this scenario, games in hand would have to be factored in for one complication.

So how would you judge what points a team would get? Form? Average points per game to date?

Take a look at league 1. My boys Wycombe are 8th, but have played fewer games than 2nd-7th. We're 3 points off 2nd.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
In this scenario, games in hand would have to be factored in for one complication.

So how would you judge what points a team would get? Form? Average points per game to date?

Take a look at league 1. My boys Wycombe are 8th, but have played fewer games than 2nd-7th. We're 3 points off 2nd.
No idea but I know a lot of clubs probably won't survive this for much longer so prize money being paid out may be a necessity.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No idea but I know a lot of clubs probably won't survive this for much longer so prize money being paid out may be a necessity.
Clubs are being paid what they're due early according to the Wycombe chairman. And can delay certain other payments.
That will see clubs through the interim.

I dare say a lot of clubs are exploring the government 80% wages covered too. More for the staff and lower league players of course.
£2,500 won't cover most of the players monthly wages any higher!!

NYAS

Solution: FIFA-issued worldwide suspension of all professional football until 2021. Club football restarts in March 2021 at the points we are now, and use January and February to play out the 10 international match days that wouldn’t happen this year. Cancel next season and continue this season at this point next year.

Too many people think this will be over too soon.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Puzzled by this guy's comment to it

Is he really suggesting the 2 teams in Champ, L1 and L2 who are currently in the top 2 get promoted?
Even though some are there on GD/played more games?

And no relegations?

Totally not thought through idiocy.

Lee‏ @leeminett83 2h2 hours ago
More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet
Replying to [U]@[B]SamWallaceTel[/B][/U]
Should be finished now. The 6 teams in the 3 leagues promotion positions promoted and you do one season with bigger divisions

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Yeah all signs indicate a return to football, albeit BCD. Looking forward to it even if it means liverpool get their trophy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Solution: FIFA-issued worldwide suspension of all professional football until 2021. Club football restarts in March 2021 at the points we are now, and use January and February to play out the 10 international match days that wouldn’t happen this year. Cancel next season and continue this season at this point next year.

Too many people think this will be over too soon.
It won't be "over" but as soon as it's peaked measures will be made that will slowly allow life to get back to normal, and at some point sport behind closed doors will be a part of that.

Japan, China and South Korea are slowly getting back to normal and there's been no news of massive spikes in cases so far touch wood. The J League is due to resume early May and I imagine CSL won't be too far behind. If they happen without a hitch then a prescedent is set.

The idea of the league resuming at the end of April is fantasy, but any time between June and August is very much possible if we have similar peak and decline timetables as Asia have.

People think too far ahead when it comes to season cancellations, I don't think it will even be mooted as a possibility unless an attempt to restart the season fails spectacularly.

Preserving the value of a sporting competition by giving it to a team who hasn't actually won it, lovely stuff.
In Italy! Whoever throws them the biggest bag on money wins the league this year.

we aren’t taking the lead from such a corrupt football nation.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Puzzled by this guy's comment to it

Is he really suggesting the 2 teams in Champ, L1 and L2 who are currently in the top 2 get promoted?
Even though some are there on GD/played more games?

And no relegations?

Totally not thought through idiocy.

Lee‏ @leeminett83 2h2 hours ago
More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet
Replying to [U]@[B]SamWallaceTel[/B][/U]
Should be finished now. The 6 teams in the 3 leagues promotion positions promoted and you do one season with bigger divisions
The idea of promotion and no relegation has actually been floated somewhere before so that's not a unique thought by that guy. Not sure i'm down for it, though. You either void the season, or play on. I'm not really a fan of handing out positions and honours to teams who technically haven't earned them. At this point in time i'm not sure what the hell i want, to be honest. Last week (or maybe the week before, i can't remember) i wanted the league to continue if we could, but obviously within reason. I don't want it going into September or October, or anything daft like that. But now, it's looking increasingly likely that it will be voided.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The idea of promotion and no relegation has actually been floated somewhere before so that's not a unique thought by that guy. Not sure i'm down for it, though. You either void the season, or play on. I'm not really a fan of handing out positions and honours to teams who technically haven't earned them. At this point in time i'm not sure what the hell i want, to be honest. Last week (or maybe the week before, i can't remember) i wanted the league to continue if we could, but obviously within reason. I don't want it going into September or October, or anything daft like that. But now, it's looking increasingly likely that it will be voided.

There would be huge opposition to Liverpool being awarded the league when they're massively clear, let alone on super tight battles!
And how can you apply promotions in said tight battles, and then not do the same with relegations.Utterly bizarre.

There can be no way round that, as you can't suddenly just make some rule up at this stage
"oh we'll do it on points per game average, and apply that for what teams would get". You just can't do it, it's an absolute non starter, and would actually be the start of all these "legal" issues people keep talking about.

Whereas a voiding all in, wouldn't be, as things just stop - it's an emergency

Pep's Suit

It won't be "over" but as soon as it's peaked measures will be made that will slowly allow life to get back to normal, and at some point sport behind closed doors will be a part of that.

Japan, China and South Korea are slowly getting back to normal and there's been no news of massive spikes in cases so far touch wood. The J League is due to resume early May and I imagine CSL won't be too far behind. If they happen without a hitch then a prescedent is set.

The idea of the league resuming at the end of April is fantasy, but any time between June and August is very much possible if we have similar peak and decline timetables as Asia have.

People think too far ahead when it comes to season cancellations, I don't think it will even be mooted as a possibility unless an attempt to restart the season fails spectacularly.
To be honest China opened 5% of all their cinemas in last few days but had to immediately close them again and very likely will stay closed until May at least. And in China it was basically just Wuhan. I'd love to watch PL during July / August but it's hard to be optimistic.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah all signs indicate a return to football, albeit BCD. Looking forward to it even if it means liverpool get their trophy.
What signs? Were on worse trajectory than Italy which had over 900 deaths in last 24 hours. Am I missing something?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What signs? Were on worse trajectory than Italy which had over 900 deaths in last 24 hours. Am I missing something?
Are we really? I haven't kept track since but couple of days ago we were nearly 400 deaths behind Italy at the same stage. The last couple of days have been horrific but have we really caught up with Italy (at the same point)?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Name even one sign points to that mate?
And I mean real points, not the FA's statement a couple of weeks ago saying it'll finish - which was just a mere holding note to point out they'll "do their best" to.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Are we really? I haven't kept track since but couple of days ago we were nearly 400 deaths behind Italy at the same stage. The last couple of days have been horrific but have we really caught up with Italy (at the same point)?
That was from 5 days ago. I'm assuming it's still going to be quite accurate.

This data is from 24 hours ago. So yeah at the very least UK is still on par with Italy's figures and people are talking about football. I'd be happy with a degree of normalcy in 2020 nevermind football.

NYAS

Too much of a hindrance to the start of a hypothetical next season and fecks up the football calendar for years. Also optimistic regarding returns to normalcy and BCD football is horrendous. Complete this season but at this point next year, all you’re cancelling is a season that hasn’t even started.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
In Italy the rugby League has been declared void with no winner this season and the Basketball League are giving some time to assess the situation and decide if they want to void the season too.