Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Why ruin two seasons when abandoning it would just affect one? Say we resume 19/20 season in November, and finish it by the end of the year, then what? No football until August? Start a new season in April? There’s also considerations with other leagues, and European competition.
That doesn't add up. Starting the next season in November requires a big re-organisation of next season. If we cannot get going until November both seasons are affected regardless.
You genuinely thinking cancelling next season, or say cutting it in half, is more financially prudent than culling 25% of this season?
That's based on the assumption we resume business as normal from July. That's very unlikely to happen.

Dante

Average bang
Growing appetite for Premier League season to be abandoned on moral grounds. PL executive: "Just end this league, with whatever consequences that has. There are very few losers. Liverpool, I know, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter.”
:lol:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
its nothing new with these ‘fans’. Im
Sure they have someone writing a book already.

“we dared to dream again - and only God and coronavirus could stop us from our destiny”

I know it’s hardly pithy - but I’m sure the deluded will lap it up.
:D :D :D

LInkash

Ehhh they most certainly can... top level footballers and football clubs will come out the other side of this relatively unscathed.

I work in the leisure industry and we were supposed to have our first big event this weekend (200 clients) and then would have 1 or 2 events that are around that size a week from now till September. Our first event is in August now and still might not go ahead...

On top of which the school part of of our company had been shut until July at earliest. They absolutely can shut an industry down for a year.
Surely not for an entire year though? The government definitely won't be willing to screw the economy up for that long, it's not just the clubs and players but all other staff too and all related businesses right down to the burger stalls outside the ground.

Redcy

That doesn't add up. Starting the next season in November requires a big re-organisation of next season. If we cannot get going until November both seasons are affected regardless.

That's based on the assumption we resume business as normal from July. That's very unlikely to happen.
I don't disagree, but lets assume that we have to wait 6 months, then there is a damn good chance we lose clubs any way to bankruptcy, or clubs go into administration and they let 90% of players go, and the league cannot be played out anyway.

Redcy

Surely not for an entire year though? The government definitely won't be willing to screw the economy up for that long, it's not just the clubs and players but all other staff too and all related businesses right down to the burger stalls outside the ground.
Yeah I don't think we will shut down for a whole year either, but it wont be that long, before the whole thing goes into free fall, say 6 months without mass sporting events for the football economy to fail and club go pout of business I would think.

El Zoido

The season could be started in November, there may not be any European competition so the league fixtures could be condensed to finish by May. I assume they will cull the domestic cups as well. It would work.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Has anybody thought about exactly how we can return to normal after this?
The lockdown will be lifted, but it will be a slow & gradual return to normality, including football & sports in general.

It’s not realistic to expect European football next season, it will be far too easy to create a second wave of infection - that includes internationals. Plus each country is responding to the virus differently.

Considering the main stopping block for not resuming the season right now is due to money & public safety - the most likely solution is reorganising the entire schedule for next season.
I would believe that there would have to be a commitment to play the majority or all of it behind closed doors before the first ball is kicked - and if that's the case, you can get rid of 3pm kick offs, spread the games out a bit more and potentially give Sky & BT TV rights for every game in the PL & Championship at least. That way you can help limit potential of infection to the wider public & recuperate lost earnings from gate fees too.

The solution isn't going to be normal at all, something drastic is going to have to occur for football to be played again - otherwise, we're unlikely to see another ball kicked for the rest of this year.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ultimately I don't see any less or more football getting played depending on the decision that's taken with this season. Once football returns properly, it'll be crammed in regardless of whether there is a season to conclude or a new truncuated one to kick off, or both.
I don't disagree, but lets assume that we have to wait 6 months, then there is a damn good chance we lose clubs any way to bankruptcy, or clubs go into administration and they let 90% of players go, and the league cannot be played out anyway.
True. Likely to affect clubs in lower leagues more than the top tier. But that impacts next season too if clubs no longer exist, so one option is no better or worse than the other.

The season could be started in November, there may not be any European competition so the league fixtures could be condensed to finish by May. I assume they will cull the domestic cups as well. It would work.
It's an option. Might suit English clubs who are much less reliant on European competition for their revenues, whereas clubs from other countries could go under without European football as they don't have the massive TV deal to fall back on.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The mood seems to have changed this last day or so. Last week (which feels like a month ago) the general consensus seemed to have been that the league will continue. But that has shifted quite drastically recently. I still have no idea what the hell is going to happen, to be honest. But, i think a void season is very much on the cards now. Reading more and more rumours about teams coming around to this idea.

Redcy

The mood seems to have changed this last day or so. Last week (which feels like a month ago) the general consensus seemed to have been that the league will continue. But that has shifted quite drastically recently. I still have no idea what the hell is going to happen, to be honest. But, i think a void season is very much on the cards now. Reading more and more rumours about teams coming around to this idea.
I think the assumption was we could return by June, with people realising that day by day this may not happen, then people start to think what are the alternatives. When the alternative is to cancel/truncate next year too, I don't see clubs going for that.

Devil may care

The Prime Minister has now tested positive for the coronavirus, I can't see it being much longer before the PL is canned as it wont matter about Euro spots as I think it will be a long time before people will be travelling from country to country.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's a joke that the lower leagues get shafted like that. Some of them struggle each season to stay afloat and documentaries like the Salford one a couple of years ago shows how much the game at the lower level means to people from every part of the club. From the Chairman to the Physios to the people that are stationed on the burger trucks outside the grounds.

There are some sides that were already promoted due to how they performed. A club in the 10th level of the pyramid won 27/27 games and were already guaranteed promotion and their season has now been voided. They should have put it to a vote instead of seemingly making a decision with little to no consultation. Been reading a few news reports that have said some non-league teams found out on social media. Disgrace.

wr8_utd

:'(
We honestly can't start the next season too late given that there's 4 international tournaments to be held next summer. It's just not possible to start this season in November/December.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
If this season is voided and City win the new season, does that mean they've won 3 in a row and Guardiola goes down as having arguably the most successful domestic run in English football. Domestic treble, 3 in a row?

OleBoiii

If this season is voided and City win the new season, does that mean they've won 3 in a row and Guardiola goes down as having arguably the most successful domestic run in English football. Domestic treble, 3 in a row?
No. For 2 reasons:

1. Several other teams have won 3 in a row(Fergie did it twice). Some(most?) of these teams also combined it with success in Europe.
2. There will obviously be a pretty big * next to that achievement, as Liverpool most likely would have won the league this year.

So he's still a Pep Guardiola is my idol:devil:

SmallCaine

It's not 3 in a row if it's not 3 years in a row. 2019 season voided will always be on record not omitted as if it didn't happen. Fergie has won 3 years in a row twice.

Also Guardiola might not be here for next season, no CL for 2 seasons and good chance that Juventus or bayern might come calling. Good chance he won't be at city.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
It's not 3 in a row if it's not 3 years in a row. 2019 season voided will always be on record not omitted as if it didn't happen.

Also Guardiola might not be here for next season, no CL for 2 seasons and good chance that Juventus or bayern might come calling. Good chance he won't be at city.
How can you disregard the achievement if it wasn't even possible to win 3 in a row. He'd have literally done all he could, no? He's won the three titles in a row that he was capable of winning.

I also can't see him moving tbh. Teams aren't going to do massive changes after all this going on, there's too much up in the air to start making massive moves.

The Prime Minister has now tested positive for the coronavirus, I can't see it being much longer before the PL is canned as it wont matter about Euro spots as I think it will be a long time before people will be travelling from country to country.
People are still traveling from country to country now.
The fact that the Prime Minister now has it amongst a load of celebrities tells me the opposite, that it is rife and so widespread in society that it won’t be long before a massive percent of the population has it or has had it. I think we will have football again next season & I think we’ll likely have behind closed doors football in the Summer.

OleBoiii

@DoubleDinhos

No success in Europe(most likely). Needed a pandemic to make it three in a row(if even).

I don't know if he's more bald than fraud or more fraud than bald. The only thing that's for certain is that he's both.

SmallCaine

How can you disregard the achievement if it wasn't even possible to win 3 in a row. He'd have literally done all he could, no? He's won the three titles in a row that he was capable of winning.

I also can't see him moving tbh. Teams aren't going to do massive changes after all this going on, there's too much up in the air to start making massive moves.
I am disregarding it, because they were 25 points behind the 1st position.

City don't have CL for 2 seasons which will affect their transfer kitty given the ffp. They need a rebuild, their defense is shit, their midfield outside of de bruyne is nothing to rave about. Aguero is getting older.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I think the assumption was we could return by June, with people realising that day by day this may not happen, then people start to think what are the alternatives. When the alternative is to cancel/truncate next year too, I don't see clubs going for that.
I think things might become a little clearer come the end of April/early May. We're obviously going to see a big upturn in cases, & sadly, deaths, over the next 2 to 3 weeks. But after that, if the experts on social distancing are right, then we should start to see a steady decline in the numbers. It'll probably be around then that the government might be able to relax this lockdown so a little bit of normality - with restrictions - might come back in. I imagine only then will the footballing hierarchy be able to discuss what's the best way forward for Europe's major leagues.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-21/coronavirus-why-social-distancing-works/

Redcy

Ultimately I don't see any less or more football getting played depending on the decision that's taken with this season. Once football returns properly, it'll be crammed in regardless of whether there is a season to conclude or a new truncuated one to kick off, or both.

True. Likely to affect clubs in lower leagues more than the top tier. But that impacts next season too if clubs no longer exist, so one option is no better or worse than the other.
Well the issue being that if those clubs no longer exist (I think there are a couple of PL ones that are iffy too), then how do you "finish" the season? Give those teams who have yet to play them a bye? If we are at that point (with lost clubs). I think we would have to revisit the whole league structure, and plan from new, which I think would be easier than trying to finish without all the clubs. Its possible that they are given some kind of parachute to "stay alive". I think they will certainly try to finish, but I just don't think they would want to lose a whole season because of it (if thats the choice).

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Of course not. If City win next year then they won two in a row and then the next season nobody won it, and then the following season they got their third.

Nobody won it.
Nobody.

macheda14

If the ban gets upheld which would mean widespread approval that City benefited from breaking the rules, you just put an asterisks next to all of their achievements anyway.

buchansleftleg

The announcement about the lower leagues being voided is just the first in a series of announcements that will be made over the coming weeks. They will leave announcing the premier league and Euro Cup Competitions until last but the die is already cast.

When the police are talking about getting old officers back to help or they are using the fire service to pick up dead bodies (and also getting the right to cremate bodies without a death certificate) You have to realise there is no way they could even play the games behind closed doors.

If you look at the scenes in Italian hospitals where people are dying in droves and mass cremations taking place (in a catholic country where such practices are not the norm) you will surely realise even a gradual reduction in lockdown is weeks away. Also remember we still don't know if people can be re-infected - which is why our lack of testing is very misguided as we could end up releasing a second wave.

We will be completely dependent on info coming from places like South Korea where they have tested comprehensively before we can even begin to plot a course back to normality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Things change quickly.
My company have now put loads on furlough and it could be months.

So the idea of mere sport for entertainment starting up in any capacity is a mere pipe dream.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Once other leagues in Europe void their leagues and agree to restart the next season in the 19/20 state, it becomes very unlikely that the Premier League will be permitted to submit a new set of Champions League teams when other leagues all resubmit the qualifiers from last season so it makes the idea of finishing this season completely pointless.

Literally the only thing to play for at that point is Liverpools title and there’s going to be little appetite going to the massive inconvenience just for that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The announcement about the lower leagues being voided is just the first in a series of announcements that will be made over the coming weeks. They will leave announcing the premier league and Euro Cup Competitions until last but the die is already cast.

When the police are talking about getting old officers back to help or they are using the fire service to pick up dead bodies (and also getting the right to cremate bodies without a death certificate) You have to realise there is no way they could even play the games behind closed doors.

If you look at the scenes in Italian hospitals where people are dying in droves and mass cremations taking place (in a catholic country where such practices are not the norm) you will surely realise even a gradual reduction in lockdown is weeks away. Also remember we still don't know if people can be re-infected - which is why our lack of testing is very misguided as we could end up releasing a second wave.

We will be completely dependent on info coming from places like South Korea where they have tested comprehensively before we can even begin to plot a course back to normality.
It should be remembered it's the lower leagues of non league. Not the lower leagues of pro football.

Ie levels just above park football with amateurs with jobs with no money in it.

Still a development, but no where near say league1&2 making the call .

Smores

Beyond all footballers going into isolation for the remainder of the season or purposefully infecting them now to build immunity it's just not possible to complete it.

As long as quarantine for those infected is still a requirement then it seems unlikely you could schedule enough games.

rio's upper lip

Look, every single team in the league wants to continue the season. Whether they are top, bottom or somewhere in between. They'll find a way to do it.

Devil may care

Look, every single team in the league wants to continue the season. Whether they are top, bottom or somewhere in between. They'll find a way to do it.
How do you know every team wants to finish it? Do you think all the players are wanting to risk infection to finish it? People don't seem to realize what is going on when they talk about finding a way, they are burning corpses on mass in Italy right now, Spain is getting worse, the infection rate here is rising, finding a way to finish the league season is bottom of the barrel in importance, especially when you risk further widespread infection through trying to finish it.

EwanI Ted

Every team did when it still seemed plausible to finish the season before summer was out. If it becomes apparent that there's no way to start playing again before August - entirely possible - and that it would mean not finishing next season until after the Euros too, I suspect a lot of views will change.

wolvored

Agreed. The league cup should be void for any team competing in Europe that season.
Good call. They could also stop some of the international friendlies. Play once instead of 2 games in 5 days. Turn the world cup and European championship to full knockout so max games the players play in a 32 team event would be 5. Cut them down to 2 weeks instead of 4

This might be a stupid question, and it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but if we were to null and void the season would all of the records be erased? That's the way I've been interpreting it, on the United side would be a shame for players like Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno who have been putting up serious numbers only to have them taken away. Like I said, doesn't really matter but ever since I started considering it my desire to have the season void definitely decreased

Pep's Suit

Olympics postponed, Wimbledon postponed / cancelled next week... Even if I try to be super-optimistic I still can't imagine any games played before late July.

Rajma

As much as I like to take a piss from Liverpool...At this point, I would happily take Liverpool’s treble only for this whole thing to fecking feck off.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Perhaps unrelated, but the FIGC President (President of the Italian FA) confirmed there will be a champion of Serie A 2019/2020, even if the season cannot be finished, to "preserve the value of sporting competition".

OleBoiii

Perhaps unrelated, but the FIGC President (President of the Italian FA) confirmed there will be a champion of Serie A 2019/2020, even if the season cannot be finished, to "preserve the value of sporting competition".
That is the worst possible solution(apart from cancelling next season to make space for the current).